BREXIT

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2016 9:48 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Baz1946 you are making a idiotic statement by saying that WW1 and WW2 ,was not  over freedom  from fascist country's that tryed and failed to take over the Great Britain, and in force a dictatorship upon a Democratic society, next thing you will be saying that the Nazi Hitler was a great person .you sound bad LOOOOOOOOOOOSER.it's called democracy for you're sake live with that fact or you will go nuts and get on with trying to keep the other foot out of the grave.

Not so much an idiotic statement as yours Windtalker, if you check out your facts about WW1 you will realise that war had nothing at all to do with democracy within the UK, and Germany never tried to take over England, fact is they never even came close to it's shores, WW2 was about Germanys dominance of Europe, again nothing to do with trying to take over the democratic part of the the UK, sure had things been different...But thats another story.

I do happen to know a little bit more about Germany, and the world wars then as it shows you do, Mrs B is German, and of course had many relatives in the German Army.

Why would you say I am a bad looser, I voted out, for the sake and perhaps the good of the UK, not for what other countries want the UK to do, I like many have no idea for sure if it was the correct thing to do, only time will tell on that score?

One last thing you are aware that when someone has to use insults in a discussion that generally means they have lost the argument, or in this case discussion.

Like 1      
05 Jul 2016 12:14 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Baz 1946 l voted out ,in a Democratic election and the out vote win by a Democratic majority ,l did not like what l was reading.With the likes of a law firm possibly trying to get the law Lord's to over rule a Democratic decision ,the Democratic vote is final in a democracy ,so basically if it does go as far as the law Lord's they will have no other option other than rubber stamping the get out of the EU card .

I don't know much about WW1 or WW2 but I can tell you that my father was told he was going to war because the Nazis whanted to rule the world.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2016 1:16 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Baz 1946 l voted out ,in a Democratic election and the out vote win by a Democratic majority ,l did not like what l was reading.With the likes of a law firm possibly trying to get the law Lord's to over rule a Democratic decision ,the Democratic vote is final in a democracy ,so basically if it does go as far as the law Lord's they will have no other option other than rubber stamping the get out of the EU card .

I don't know much about WW1 or WW2 but I can tell you that my father was told he was going to war because the Nazis whanted to rule the world.

I only caught a glimpse of the Law Firm Statement which is why I posted it for all to read, I was the messenger.

I don't really agree with this from the Law Firm after all the people voted out in a democracy, but then again as we are what we are they are entitled to basically have a go, so to speak.

Yes, I do agree with you that ultimately the Germans wanted to rule the world, albeit in WW2, they still do want full control and would take it with open arms if they could.

I don't watch football at all but will admit to Germany and Italy the other day, Mrs B got really irate when the Italians got even slightly close....Straight from the horses mouth....They would like to take over.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2016 1:47 PM by ENA Star rating in Weatherfield. 30 posts Send private message

ENA´s avatar

** EDITED -Inciting **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 7/5/2016 7:17:00 PM.

Like 1      
05 Jul 2016 6:22 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Dont really know what this is all about. The uk voted to leave and we are waiting for the uk managing party to follow the set out process. So I dont know why all the agro from forum members.

Rossetti

Like 4      
05 Jul 2016 6:57 PM by moonbeam Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

An important point is that it was an advisory referendum.  ( It was not a general election with clear legal guidelines)   A referedum is not binding on parliament.  There is no provision for government by referendum in the UK.  It is a representative democracy with MPs elected to make the legal decisions in parliament on behalf of the people.

The legal route is that MPs now have to vote to repeal the 1972 Act that took the UK into the Common Market (now the EU) and only when this is passed can Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon be invoked.

Like 1      
05 Jul 2016 7:45 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

it was an advisory referendum. 

Don't be silly, it was a referendum. It was in the Conservative party's manifesto at the last general election.

The house of commons voted for it by a very large majority.

It was about as near to a truly democratic exercise as you can get, and the people voted in large numbers.

Those voting out were nearly 4% more than those voting remain and cast more votes than any political party has achieved for many years.

It was a democratic vote to restore our democratic rights and is recognised by over 99% of MP's to be binding.

Like 6      
05 Jul 2016 8:23 PM by moonbeam Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

In that case there will not be any problem when it comes to voting to repeal the 1972 Act if 99% of MPs feel that it is "legally" binding.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2016 6:34 AM by BigAl2015 Star rating. 194 posts Send private message

Moonbeam

It would take a brave or stupid man or woman to over-rule a decision that was given to the public, let us not forget that the government is in office to represent the democratic rights of the people. No-one said we are going to let you the people have a vote on the referendum but we may not take any notice of it anyway.

Can you imagine the repercussions if they were to over-rule, there would be riots on the streets of the UK, also what about the millions of pounds spent convincing us to vote one way or the other, the collapse of the government, the collapse of the opposition, this would be a gigantic price to pay for someone to turn around and say 'we fooled you'.

Having said that I am not too sure that we are anywhere near invoking article 50, a probable outcome is that Theresa May starts negotiations and comes back with a bigger bag of sweeties than David Cameron came back with and we decide that we like that bag of sweeties.

Yes, it makes it a little interesting that the sore losers try and find every possible way to try and reverse or suggest that the decision can be reversed.

I think that democracy will prevail (although we may not yet have the final democratic solution in sight) and those that voted remain can also find something to supoort through a democratic route.

For the life of me I cannot understand why a certain group of remainers cannot live with the present democratic decision, I have to give a little respect to the likes of Mickyfinn & Perrypower1 who have now got on with their lives and moved on.

This message was last edited by BigAl2015 on 06/07/2016.

This message was last edited by BigAl2015 on 06/07/2016.

Like 2      
06 Jul 2016 8:05 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

My vote was a tactical vote, I voted OUT, in the hope that the dictatorship in charge of the EU would start to listen to our concerns I think a lot of people voted this way in the UK ,the EU didn't not give a dam about the outcome of a democratic vote ,all the EU are concerned about is saving face which is really a stupid way of going about you're business so out it is for me ,because the ( EU the great idea it was) will not listen to the public that put them in power it is sure to fail now that one of the richest country's in the world is about to leave the EU through a Democratic vote. I don't think even Mrs May will will change their minds even if she begs them to see reason .so OUT it is .so like me you should move on and enjoy living in a free Democratic country like the UK assuming like me you are a citizen of the UK.
This message was last edited by windtalker on 06/07/2016.

Like 1      
06 Jul 2016 10:18 AM by scollins Star rating in London. 53 posts Send private message

Mariadev is spot on, the PM has no constitutional status, merely chief executive of the board of the largest political party.The action is not about stopping Brexit, rather to ensure that Parliament ( and those who populate it) can be held to account for the consequences. Contrary to the view of one contributor, Mishcon de Reya are a very well know law firm and would not have taken the decision lightly. At the end of the day regardless of the views of the majority of MP's, Parliament would in response to the referendum be expected to pass a resolution on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, hopefully at a time of her choosing. But markets don't wait and what really worries me is that those who say that we can take are time about it don't seem to grasp that the EU won't wait for the UK. I actually agree with Farage that immediate withdrawal is probably the best thing to do in the long term but in the short to medium term the road ahead looks uphill all the way.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2016 11:13 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

The difference being that it appears to be a "club" that used to have great and honourable aspirations to work together to improve TRADE across member states and not be divisive. 

But in reality it has become a "club" that refuses to recognise realities and be willing to reform and adequately respond to those realities.

No matter how uncomfortable this is to admit, this "club"  has sadly in its inflexibility allowed financial corruption to prevail by turning a blind eye to accession criteria, ( and necessary stability mechanisms) but then further mismanaged the aspiration to encourage Greece to EFFECTIVELY reform,  and in that process they have decimated a nation, leaving it impotent under the control of, to all intents and purposes, an unelected political elite and unaccountable financial institutions with immense power and self interests.

This "club" , through its mismanagement and inflexibility has also caused mass  unemployment across a large swathe of its member states, resulting  in uncontrolled migration of citizens, that in that process has negatively impacted a tolerant and caring nation that initially opened its arms widely to EU citizens.

Sadly however as the impact of uncontrolled migration started to impinge on a much larger scale, as realistically described within this thread, this became further exacerbated when our pleas for citizens concerns to be heeded by our politicians and EU bureaucrats were met with denials, incredulous aggressive responses by those same EU bureaucrats implying we were selfish or isolationist or "lying".  

The truth is that we need to reflect from a much higher perspective and see the pattern of events that is happening before our eyes, not be fearful to expose uncomfortable realities and look for positive ways to move forward together and regain the original intention to trade together to the benefit of all.

But never at the expense of decimating citizens lives, creating untold member state debt, ruining the tolerance and caring that has taken so long to achieve, or being under the control of  an inflexible and unresponsive group of bureaucrats ( and powerful financial institutions who equally need to be made more accountable and adhere to ethical standards).

The sad reality is that those currently in power in the EU appear to be obsessed by ideology , are cocooned from reality, and have little conscience when it comes to examining their own accountability and the impact of their decision making on citizens lives across all of Europe.

As citizens we should be willing to pressure for adequate reform from our EU bureaucrats and endeavour to replace  those who refuse to listen and respond, those in denial (who are ironically  attempting to imply that citizens are being fooled by lies, when it is them who are refusing to see the major negative impact from their bad decision making) that they should step aside and be replaced by more caring, responsive and responsible politicians who are willing to listen to citizens concerns and protect them from any abusive or corrupt hidden intent.

Perhaps this is the start of an ethical revolution in Europe which if managed calmly and rationally could be to the benefit of all. 

This message was last edited by ads on 06/07/2016.

Like 3      
06 Jul 2016 12:10 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

The PM is the person who can command the loyalty of the largest number of MPs in parliament. No more, no less.

Constitutionally he or she is the monarch's Prime Minister and the monarch need not appoint the leader of the largest party if he or she felt that the person appointed could command the loyalty of the majority of MPs in the house of commons.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2016 12:46 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Someone on another site said the EC will no longer represent all EU members in ratifying a trade deal with Canada. It will have to done by individual member states themselves. Are they at long last seeing some sense, or are they simply afraid if they don't loosen up. Great news if true.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2016 2:26 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

It's necessary to read this in order to better understand the situation

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/686645/EU-Brussels-Canada-trade-deal-in-doubt-individual-nations-Brexit-EU-referendum-politics

"REVOLTING European nations have slapped down unelected EU bureaucrats who planned to wave through a MAJOR trade deal without consultation.

The U-turn flies in the face of EU top chiefs’ calls for "more Europe", and each nation will now get to decide on the groundbreaking deal to stop it being forced through by the European Commission. The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between the EU and Canada has been on the table since 2009. But it is now in doubt as 40 national and regional assemblies will need to approve it. It is claimed the deal will increase bilateral exports of goods and services by €26billion annually but it appears nations have chosen their own sovereignty over financial gain. "

Does the following statement however mean that the UK were already exempted from having to comply with EU ratification of TTIP AND CETA, or does it leave us vulnerable as citizens to have to comply with the treaty arrangements regardless? In other words has our Govt (under David Cameron) already demonstrated a commitment to ratify this treaty without consulting its citizens? Or will we have another referendum on our hands?

• In all Member States except for Malta and the UK a parliamentary approval process is necessary – the country’s constitutions define the approval procedure’s conditions and determine which chambers of parliament are involved in the decision-making.

https://stop-ttip.org/ttip-study-ratification/

"What does “Stop TTIP” demand? •

TTIP and CETA are interfering with the regulatory competences of politics. In being international treaties they restrict the scope of parliamentary decision-making and limit the sovereignty of citizens. This should not be allowed to happen.

• In countries where referenda on CETA and TTIP are possible, parliaments and governments should not decide above and beyond their citizens.

• European Citizens’ Initiatives (ECI) on international treaties should, as a minimum, be allowed at the EU level. An ECI demanding the non-conclusion of a treaty should be admitted. Our StopTTIP ECI, however, was rejected and that’s why we are currently challenging the European Commission’s decision in the European Court of Justice. "

Can anyone further clarify the UKs position?

P.s. Just come across this that was posted in April prior to the referendum.....why were we not informed of this in the referendum debate?

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2016/04/25/the-international-trade-deal-being-sneaked-past-parliament

Like 0      
06 Jul 2016 3:26 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Pehaps I am not seeing common sense here but if as we are coming out of the EU, and the sooner the better, whats the fuss over trading with anyone who wants to buy our goods, and or services, EU, America, Russia...Who cares so long as the seller gets paid.

I do understand that the EU cannot work using common sense, but I fail to see to many problems here unless someone finds them.

No doubt very wrong.

Like 2      
06 Jul 2016 3:50 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

07 Jul 2016 1:43 PM by sinatra123 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Brexit means Britan is not going to tackle intenational problems (refugees, climate change) on intenational level.

Like 1      
07 Jul 2016 3:48 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Who from the existing British Govt has ever stipulated that the UK is not going to tackle climate change or the refugee crisis on an international level? Commitments to both of these will continue to be decided by the British Govt, but the CETA agreement is a new separate treaty that just as with the TTIP treaty, and in light of the concerns expressed to date, needs to be carefully studied in a fully transparent way such that British citizens are kept fully aware of the implications.

Like 2      
07 Jul 2016 7:25 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

May V Leadsom!

May well ahead with MP's but she has been quietly in the race for some time.

It will be a lot closer in the constuencies.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts
new to forum - 11 posts
Form 210 non residential tax form - 1 posts
Part time self employment - 1 posts
Supreme Court- Law 57/68- Creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Property to auction - 7 posts
Buying a car to keep in Spain... - 4 posts
HELP REQ'D WITH A SURVEY FOR A HND - 3 posts
Transfering car from UK to Spain How to do it - 14 posts
Moving to spain - 12 posts
Parking at Gatwick Airport - Discount Code - 0 posts
intercontinental hotel al torre golf resort...re opening? - 1 posts
Printed plan of Cala Mosca Development - 0 posts
For sale Ovation Balladeer LX electro acoustic guitar - 0 posts
Job and renting info please? - 8 posts
TV content from 'home' - 5 posts
Donald Trump - 61 posts
Looking for advice on which estate agent to use..... - 7 posts
Buying Travel Insurance whilst living in Spain - 6 posts
Law 57/68 claims - 25 posts
Hi - new: moving from UK Sussex to Galicia in summer 2016. - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7451

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | 297 | 298 | 299 | 300 | 301 | 302 | 303 | 304 | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | 358 | 359 | 360 | 361 | 362 | 363 | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x