BREXIT

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Oct 2016 12:40 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I don't recall Unilever behaving like this when £/€  was as low as 1.02 in 2008. We're at 1.1075 as i write.

Correct but at that point Brexit had not happened

The UK is in a mess due to the lack of any plans which makes everyone nervous especially businesses and the markets.

The effects and pressure on the UK economy and the pound will only increase in the coming months

Time for the govt to take serious action hold up their hand and say to the electorate we are in trouble and we need to revisit this as a nation and not a handful of MP’s.

A full and open debate on what the UK wants, what they can realistically obtain and what the EU are prepared to offer or not is a must.

If this requires further referendums then so be it as we simply cannot afford to get this wrong and we cannot keep saying the will of the nation etc. as there is simply not enough detail on the consequences of any action (good or bad).

A simple yes or no vote was IMO gross negligence and ignorance on the part of the govt. which was very prevalent in all the debates (including forums such as EOS) by BOTH sides (the lies, personal vendettas, egos, scaremongering, assumptions based on very little facts etc.).

Like 3      
13 Oct 2016 12:53 PM by rob_j1 Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Hugh

Unilever are just one company affected by currency. Do you think they're the only one?

WELL DONE TESCO champion the consumer?

Tesco are another firm who dont care about me or you, only their profits. Have a look at the "Tesco accounting scandal" with directors charged with fraud:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/09/sfo-charges-former-tesco-directors-with-fraud

I'm sorry, but your views are fringe, and incorrect in almost every post I've seen. I will no longer reply to your posts.

Like 1      
13 Oct 2016 12:54 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Just one thing rob_j1. Marmite is made in Derby. How could the falling pound affect that?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 12:54 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

So how would you have liked the vote to have been framed?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 1:13 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Tenerife,

If that's aimed at me, how would I know? I'm only a mere mortal, not a UK expat residing in Spain.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 2:20 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

13 Oct 2016 2:30 PM by rob_j1 Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Mariedav

I don't actually buy Marmite, so in reality I don't know anything about it beyond what I saw on the news this morning. If I were to hazzard a guess, it would be that Unilever are in difficulty over a range of products, and so are negotiating with Tesco over a portfolio, and it may be that Marmite is just a highly visible / prominent brand that many consumers will know about, and hence make for good TV cannon fodder?

I've had a quick look around the internet, and thought this might be an interesting link to post up. Some of it is actually pretty funny, and I'd recommend people to look at the pics that havent made it into this post, because I genuinely laughed:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/brits-freak-out-over-marmite-mayonnaise-shortage-in-row-over-supermarket-pricing/news-story/bc401cc67ea577c2e88036f03335186c

Brits freak out over Marmite, mayonnaise shortage in row over supermarket pricing
OCTOBER 13, 20167:46PM

Marmitegate has hit British shoppers for six. Picture: AFP PHOTO / BEN STANSALL

Victoria Craw
news.com.au
@Victoria_Craw

LOVE it or hate it, Marmite is a British insitutuion.
Now the yeasty spread is at the centre of a national crisis after a major supermarket dropped the brand and a number of others in a major row over pricing.
Tesco pulled Marmite, Colman’s mustard, Hellman’s mayonnaise and PG Tips tea bags from their online shops yesterday in the midst of a spat with Anglo-Dutch company Unilever over pricing.
Dove Shampoo and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream were also unavailable online.
It comes after the pound fell to its lowest level against the US dollar in 31 years amid fears the UK was heading for a “hard” Brexit that could mean leaving the European single market.
It sent the value of the pound plummeting and reportedly led Unilever to ask for a 10 per cent price increase to cover the fall in sterling’s value.
The supermarket — which is the third largest chain in Britain — said it may not restock the brands, which are currently available in stores but not online.
A spokesman for the company said: “We are currently experiencing availability issues on a number of Unilever products. We hope to have this issue resolved soon.”
Unilever has not yet commented on the stoush.

The news sent Brits into a pre-breakfast spin on Thursday when they woke up to it plastered across newspapers and television screens.
Many took to social media to blast 2016, blame it on the EU or auction off their circa 2016 Marmite for a hefty resale.
The UK public is still in the dark over what the exact terms of Britain’s exit from the UK will be and the uncertainty is starting to hit food prices and small businesses.
Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron blamed the government, saying: “The chaos around Brexit is now hitting our supermarket shelves. This shows the Government doesn’t have a plan or even a clue.”

This message was last edited by rob_j1 on 13/10/2016.

Like 1      
13 Oct 2016 2:43 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Tenerife

So how would you have liked the vote to have been framed?

I don't want the vote framed in any way?

Yes we have voted out albeit not knowing what the detail was.

Now we are leaving the EU I think the electorate need to have full visibility and possibly a vote on the plans / exit strategy whatever they are instead of leaving it up to a few.

We should have had this information back in June - what a cock up by the govt. and another fine mess they have got us into

I truly hope the high court case which started today puts the block May and her small team and forces it through parlaiment and hopefully down to us the voting public

Like 1      
13 Oct 2016 2:49 PM by rob_j1 Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Thought in case some of you havent heard the latest, theres a High Court challenge going on right now:

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/gina-miller-leads-high-court-challenge-against-uk-government-over-brexit/news-story/daee454087cda116f92323283526a89e

Gina Miller leads High Court challenge against UK government over Brexit
OCTOBER 13, 201610:22PM
VideoImage

Brexit backlash: EU stands firm

Victoria Craw
news.com.au
@Victoria_Craw

A HAIRDRESSER, fund manager and a UK expatriate living in France are at the centre of a case described as the most important in a generation for Britain.
Former finance worker Gina Miller is leading the charge against the British government in a High Court battle over Brexit that centres around fundamental questions of democracy.
The group claims the UK government should not be able to trigger Article 50 — the process that begins the two-year time frame for exiting the EU — without a parliamentary vote.
However the government said it has “royal perorgative” which serves as a kind of executive order following the June 23 referendum that saw the UK vote in favour of leaving by 51.9 per cent to 48.1 per cent.
Ms Miller — who voted to Remain but insists it’s not a case of sour grapes as “we’re all leavers now” — said she had received threats for taking it to court.
“People are really frightened to put their heads above the parapet,” she told AFP.
“I myself have received death threats ... Apparently my head belongs on Traitors’ Gate.”
“Our business has been boycotted. It’s been quite vile. But I won’t be bullied because to my mind this is best for everyone, to have legal certainty”.
Hairdresser Deir Dos Santos, 37 and groups the People’s Challenge and Fair Deal for Expats also back the case which is being handled by prestigious firm Mishcon de Reya. Other claimants are unwilling to be identified for fear of abuse.

On Thursday, both pro-Brexit and pro-Remain demonstrators appeared outside the court.
Gina Miller, co-founder of investment fund SCM Private, is taking on the UK government but insists it’s not a case of sour grapes over Brexit. Picture: BEN STANSALL/AFP
Gina Miller, co-founder of investment fund SCM Private, is taking on the UK government but insists it’s not a case of sour grapes over Brexit. Picture: BEN STANSALL/AFPSource:AFP
The high stakes case cuts to the heart of a fundamental question raging in the UK parliament: Does the government have to get approval from MPs for the terms of the Brexit deal?
Pro-Brexiteers say no — that’s what the referendum was for. Others say there was no mandate for the type of Brexit that will be delivered and this needs to be voted upon.
Fundamental questions around border control, single market access and fair trade remain unanswered with even the Conservative party split on what the deal should look like — let alone the other 27 nations of the European Union who each have their own interests to consider.
Prime Minister Theresa May has remained elusive on the issue, saying only that “Brexit means Brexit”. She said MPs will be able to “discuss, debate and question issues” but there was no putting off the inevitable.
“We’re not asking ourselves what bits of membership we want to retain,” she said.
University College London professor Jeff King told Bloomberg the case is “one of the most important constitutional law cases ever decided.”
It could even lead to risks of lengthy delays or jail for MPs who ignore the court orders, the organisation reports.

An unwelcome site for British travellers as the pound sinks to less than one euro. Picture: AP Photo/Frank Augstein

Fears this week the UK could opt for a “hard” Brexit that could mean no single market access in exchange for complete border control have sent the pound to a 31-year-low against the US dollar.
On Thursday, Tesco removed grocery favourites like Marmite and PG Tips tea from sale online in a spat with Unilever who wanted a price hike to compensate for the falling pound.
The move sent consumers reeling with #Marmitegate trending online but is likely to be the first of many disruptions for consumers as Britain’s withdrawal from the EU occurs.
The High Court case will run until Monday. It’s being head by Lord Chief Justice Thomas, Sir Terence Etherton and Lord Justice Sales.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 2:51 PM by rob_j1 Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

There is talk of another Scottish referendum:

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/scottish-first-minister-nicola-sturgeon-says-draft-bill-on-second-scottish-independence-vote-to-be-published/news-story/87185b73eaf8eb6ab192d7648842e164

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says draft bill on second Scottish independence vote to be published

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said it’s time to prove Scotland is really an equal partner in the UK. Picture: AFP PHOTO / Andy Buchanan

AFPAFP

SCOTLAND’S government will publish a draft bill for an independence referendum next week as a last resort if it cannot keep close EU ties when Britain leaves the bloc, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Thursday.

“I can confirm today that the independence referendum bill will be published for consultation next week” in the Scottish parliament, Sturgeon told delegates at her Scottish National Party’s annual conference.

“I am determined that Scotland will have the ability to reconsider the question of independence and to do so before the UK leaves the EU if that is necessary to protect our country’s interest,” she said.

Scotland, which has a semi-autonomous status within Britain, voted by 55 per cent in favour of staying in the United Kingdom in an independence vote in 2014.

In the EU membership referendum earlier this year it voted by 62 per cent in favour of remaining part of the bloc while Britain as a whole voted to leave.

Sturgeon said Scotland would publish proposals for remaining in Europe’s single market — a hot-button issue in Britain after Prime Minister Theresa May hinted the country may have to leave it if it wants to impose stricter controls on EU immigration.

“Scotland didn’t choose to be in this situation. Your party put us here. In 2014, you told us Scotland was an equal partner in the UK. The moment has come to prove it,” Sturgeon said, addressing May.

Sturgeon said the proposals would include taking over powers that are currently in the EU’s remit as well as seeking new powers from London including the ability to strike international deals, and immigration.

“If you can’t or won’t allow us to protect our interests in the UK, then Scotland will have the right to decide afresh if it wants to take a different path,” she said.

Like 1      
13 Oct 2016 2:52 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Tadd1966,

You were referring to the June 23rd vote, being gross negligence and ignorance.for being a simple yes or no. Therefore, i repeat, how should it have been worded?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 3:06 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

There should have been clarity as to exactly what a yes or no will bring

the plans and strategy was for the UK to exit. Not lies asumptions or guesswork

Far too many unknowns and not enough facts

The reality of the consequences of an exit including everything from business to tourism should have been published with facts

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 3:08 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

How would/should they know?

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 3:13 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

tenerife,

This is just a suggestion, but why not a 1973 & 1975, one vote to register that a majority wish to leave the EU or not, if yes the government then trigger Article 50 and get to work on an exit strategy, which would take circa two years, they then put their recommendations to the nation for ratification.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 3:27 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

I was replying to Tadd1966.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2016 3:39 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Yes I know, I guess that I'm just an ignorant sod for butting in.

Like 2      
13 Oct 2016 3:53 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

How would/should they know?

They do their detailed research (plan) and produce a detailed manifesto supported with facts, risks, mitigations, opportunities and plans / strategies. Review every possible outcome with an impact (positive and negative), pro’s & con’s analysis, cause & effect analysis, probability assessment and quantify them all. Not emotions, ego’s, personal views, scaremongering. lies etc.- it is not rocket science just basic common sense. Businesses do this all the time

Like 2      
13 Oct 2016 4:01 PM by tenerife Star rating. 130 posts Send private message

Like all those experts spouting doom and gloom. Apart from the £, everything seems ok to me.

Like 2      
13 Oct 2016 6:02 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Don't blame the people that voted OUT for the Brexit ,Blame the political establishment for letting emigration from the EU to get out of hand,by not providing the services to look after the migrant's ,NHS /DSS /HOUSING has been overwhelmed by these migrants ,if you have 300,000+ per year people to coming    into your country the government has to provide hospitals/schools/housing all the political parties are guilty not one of them has provided extra services .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 13/10/2016.

Like 2      
13 Oct 2016 6:30 PM by rob_j1 Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Tenerife

You forgot the heinous absence of Marmite. How can you possibly say everything is alright apart from the £? By the way, businesses have a technique called scenario based planning, to guide what will happen. It is as plain as day, that no one with even half a brain in government, thought to consider what might happen. And to put the icing on the cake, even with the pound dropping, the evidence of input costs (Marmite, and our own good Windtalker), and inflation that will be imported along with every single good and service that costs more due to our devalued pound, we are heading into negative territory, and yet even with this, the "powers that be" arent even remotely stopping to think, "Is this a good idea, now that we see the markets turning to custard"?

Windtalker

You havent come back to us on the discussion of input costs I see? While you're on the subject of how bad all these immigrants are, did you also forget that 44% of the British economy sells goods to the self-same market of the EU without tariffs? This competitive advantage has been instrumental in allowing the UK to become wealthy. Or did you, in your haste to demonise migrants, conveniently forget that?

Like 4      

Pages: Previous | ... | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts
new to forum - 11 posts
Form 210 non residential tax form - 1 posts
Part time self employment - 1 posts
Supreme Court- Law 57/68- Creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Property to auction - 7 posts
Buying a car to keep in Spain... - 4 posts
HELP REQ'D WITH A SURVEY FOR A HND - 3 posts
Transfering car from UK to Spain How to do it - 14 posts
Moving to spain - 12 posts
Parking at Gatwick Airport - Discount Code - 0 posts
intercontinental hotel al torre golf resort...re opening? - 1 posts
Printed plan of Cala Mosca Development - 0 posts
For sale Ovation Balladeer LX electro acoustic guitar - 0 posts
Job and renting info please? - 8 posts
TV content from 'home' - 5 posts
Donald Trump - 61 posts
Looking for advice on which estate agent to use..... - 7 posts
Buying Travel Insurance whilst living in Spain - 6 posts
Law 57/68 claims - 25 posts
Hi - new: moving from UK Sussex to Galicia in summer 2016. - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7451

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | 297 | 298 | 299 | 300 | 301 | 302 | 303 | 304 | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | 358 | 359 | 360 | 361 | 362 | 363 | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x