BREXIT

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2016 11:18 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

BRITAIN – THE LEADER OF A NEW, MODERN EUROPE.

Once the UK leaves the European Union other countries will follow.

Already there is a clamour for similar Referendums in a number of countries.

Then we can give a lead in creating a new, modern Europe.

A Europe built on independent, democratic countries freely co-operating and trading with one another.

Each with their own laws and customs and each with economies tailored to their individual needs by their OWN governments.

Thus, for the third time in a century, Britain can save Europe from itself.

Let this be the rallying cry for the final stage of the Leave campaign.

Let us give the doubters and the ditherers the vision of a strong, confident country outside the EU that they desperately crave.

Britain – the leader of a new, modern Europe!

Love Hugh xxx

Like 1      
14 Jun 2016 11:22 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Tteedd.  Ads.  Brian.  Read your own posts and then tell me we are not the greedy, self serving generation.  Anybody else readying them would surely see it.  

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 11:24 PM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

Hugh.  Basically you are saying we are incapable of leading the EU so we should quit and then we can lead the other quitters.  Is that right?   Cause it sounds weird to me?   Certainly ain't a rally cry I will rise to. 

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 11:33 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

How many of those suggesting a rally cry for reform have been proactive in their beliefs and endeavoured to network to gain reform? How many have communicated with their MEPs and what reactions/ responses have they received?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 6:54 AM by BigAl2015 Star rating. 194 posts Send private message

PerryPower1

Greedy......... just thought I would copy and paste a previous article from yourself, I wondered how long it would be before it bit you on the a**e.

Just so you know, I've made an absolute pile of money so far on this referendum.  As I said in my first post on this thread, volatilty would spike and it has.  I bought options vol at 10%...it is now 22.5% bid.  If we vote out I will make so much money I will be able to afford all the trouble that is going to come down the line.  If we vote to remain I will still make a ton of money on the volatility trade, but will have no need to exercise my options as the currency will soar like an eagle.

It is great that the leavers keep shouting so loud...it is making me rich, rich, RICH.  Woohoo

This message was last edited by BigAl2015 on 15/06/2016.

Like 2      
15 Jun 2016 8:49 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Morning perrypower. 

i took your advice and read my posts back.  

No I don't see any evidence of me being an advocate of a greedy generation or person, in thought, word or deed.  

Can I suggest you try and answer questions and points put to you instead of deflecting these with pointless comments.  

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
15 Jun 2016 9:50 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

Guys,

The truth does not apply to certain posters, if your posts are reported they will most likely be deleted or edited, as will this one, I've gotten used to it. wink

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 10:04 AM by perrypower1 Star rating in Derbyshire/Fuerteven.... 647 posts Send private message

perrypower1´s avatar

BigAl,

I did not exclude myself from the comment.  That is why it said 'we'.  It is our generation that gave very little if anything to prior generations and now expect future generations to fund the NHS, our Pensions and anything else we feel entitled to.  Maybe we should take the time and listen to their hopes for the future.  I make no apology for making money on the referendum caos.  I stated that I expected it to happen from the outset.  I simply put my money where my mouth is and it worked in my favor...which proves that I was right in my predictions.

Brian,

The comment I made was not directed at individuals but our generation in general.  Somewhere we have lost any sense of community.  We used to be prepared to stand up and help others willingly; now we treat it like it is a burden.  It is good that you help your children ("I help my son and daughter, and will help my grandchildren if I'm still around.")  But in a global community, which we are inescapably part of, we really have to be prepared to help the less fortunate no matter where they are or where they come from.

This does not mean that we have to give everything away, it does not mean that everyone can come and live here, but if we don't help people where they are, the least well off will come to places they perceive offer more opportunities and we are defenseless against that.  The idea that we can seal our borders and stop refugees getting in does not work in law or in practise.  It may well be that you are an exceptional person  who goes against the grain of the  'me,mine' generation but you know that better than anyone else.

Brexit is not the solution to migratory patterns.  I hope our children will be a more caring generation than we have been.  If you are an exception to that comment than good on you.  You have my full respect. 

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 11:00 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I do not think our generation is less caring, in fact I see the opposite and many people try to solve the worlds problems when we should be looking after our own

I have long come to the conclusion that it is not possible for a small nation like ours to support the world.

We cannot take refugees ad infinitum.

We cannot feed the worlds poor. Indeed except in times of crisis, our attempts to do so lead to apathy and corruption.

What we should do is give them the tools to help themselves.

I would like to live in a country where we take reponsibility for our own family and then our broader community, but the welfare state changed all that and many of our generation onwards now leave things to the state that previous generations attended to themselves.

But less caring we are not, if you judge by the amount of money both individuals and our government give to charity, or if you judge by the amount of interest people take when things go wrong in other places (nationally and internationally).

The make up of the world/country we live in has changed. In many ways for the better, but the state taking over from the individual has changed our focus.

Nationally governments however have borrowed excessively and started charging students for their education and I agree that this is stealing from future generations. But we did not do this as individuals, it is the political class that has done it in our name (or to try to purchase our vote). In this instance it has long gone past the point of foolishness and we should all be paying extra taxes to pay off the national debt that our governments have created.

Like 1      
15 Jun 2016 11:14 AM by BigAl2015 Star rating. 194 posts Send private message

I very much agree with you ttedd.

We should be caring enough to help those less fortunate become 'self sufficient', that is to give or help them achieve the means to eat enough meals a day and have roof over their head, not all our UK residents have that certainty.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 12:42 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

As I understand it the European Union imposes such high tarrif on goods from the developing nations, African countries included, that the produce they grow is not able to compete with our own, we are highly subsidised in that way.

This includes even coffee from abroad and the growers are not able to get any proper reward unless it is processed inside the EU.

As a social argument or a way of standing up against greed, the EU is not an example, it is more of an 'im alright jack' and the rest of the world can starve as far as we care.

Standing up for our workers rights is at the expense of the rest of the developing worlds progress.  Im not saying the British model would change those things much although our own commonwealth members will be able to trade freely with us again if we leave.

I dont think we can hang any hats on a social reason or an anti greed reason to remain or leave, although leaving may open more doors than ot closes socially?

I am ready to be corrected here but this is the information I have taken from parts of the recent debates  

Best wishes, Brian

Like 2      
15 Jun 2016 2:17 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

The debate continues to play out in the investor community: 

// On Friday, billionaire investor and philanthropist George Soros weighed in on the potential consequences of a Brexit vote. “If Britain leaves, it could unleash a general exodus, and the disintegration of the European Union will become practically unavoidable,” Soros said.

Bill Gross, who managers the Janus Bond Fund said a vote to leave could see other countries follow. In an interview with CNBC, Gross said, "France ... or Italy might suddenly decide their own domestic internal policies should be favored versus that of a larger EU family.”

If Britain leaves the EU, one of the questions will be, who's next? A significant concern with the EU, is the model of one economic policy for all. The European Central Bank (ECB) is often seen as the central bank for Germany. With Germany being the biggest economy in the Eurozone it makes sense, but for the smaller countries who are currently struggling economically the ECB model is presenting its flaws.

A single monetary policy for 19 nations has hindered countries within the Eurozone and if Britain can leave the EU then others may follow suit and take back its monetary policy responsibility.

The financial implications for the U.K. if they vote to leave are an unknown quantity. However, it doesn't look good. UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Chancellor George Osborne presented a report to the Treasury where they said the short-term implications would create a "DIY Recession." The report predicted GDP would fall 3.6% in the ensuing two years and house price growth would fall 10%. Osborne said that the country would be undoing all the hard work it did since coming out of the 2008 global financial crisis.

“It’s only been eight years since Britain entered the deepest recession our country has seen since the Second World War." Osborne said. "Every part of our country suffered. The British people have worked so hard to get our country back on track. Do we want to throw it all away?"

On the flip side, Osborne warned that Brexit could cause unwanted inflation as the GBP would likely tumble, and it would put the Bank of England (BOE) in a precarious situation of slowing growth but rising inflation.

The employment sector is expected to be the big casualty if the U.K. leaves the EU. Britain exports a significant amount of financial services to the EU and with trade implications up in the air there are concerns these services will leave. Many companies have begun making contingency plans for a potential Brexit. Airbus, Deutsche Bank, and JP Morgan have all been vocal about potential job losses if Britain does leave the EU //   ...........

Read full article here...

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 4:25 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Noticed the article has come from Investopedia. 

Investopedia is an Internet site devoted to investing education based in New York City, started by Cory Janssen and Cory Wagner in June 1999. In 2007, the site was purchased by U.S. publishing company Forbes which sold it to ValueClick in 2010 for $42 million.

To be balanced, all the financial details from the remain camp have been acquired using the same financial model which, according to the Brexit camp's economists (who have used another financial model) concluded in their critique the following:

" Conclusions

In a previous report on the Treasury’s methods for long and short term we set out a lengthy critique. We also made a similar critique of the CEP modelling approach. We favoured the use of CGE (structural) models. However we note that other groups have used CGE methods and get to some extent similarly negative results. What has emerged from considering all these approaches used by different modelling groups in the consensus is that they all assume post-Brexit the pursuit of protectionist policies on imports by the UK. This reduction in the scope of free trade predictably would damage UK output and productivity whatever methodology is used. The key difference in EFB is the use of the unilateral free trade assumption under which Brexit is a move towards free trade. This not only gives a long-term boost to output but it also boosts the short term outlook by the standard route of expectations; with suitable policies it can be generally popular and beneficial across all sectors. It also enables the UK to be strong in negotiations and take control of its own policy environment independently of any actions by our EU neighbours. This in turn closes down short term ‘policy uncertainty’, avoiding the ad hoc rises in credit and other financial costs in the short term.

Thus the consensus has in short misrepresented the post-Brexit potential outlook quite seriously to UK voters in this referendum. It is the intention of EFB to bring this clearly to these voters’ attention.  "

Like 2      
15 Jun 2016 9:33 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Roll on Friday next then we can all look forward to a better future in Blighty

Love Hugh xx

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/16/2016 12:18:00 PM.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2016 10:36 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Osbourne is a secret outie, he must be, no ones that dumb surely

He is (dumb, not a secret outie), must have blown his credibility?

I'm beginning to believe the outers who say we are in for a change of government on BREXIT. I did not see a reason why Cameron should not remain leader (or Osborne chancellor for that matter).

But Cameron has lost his cool and Osborne appears to have gone mad.

I don't actually believe he would follow up on his nutty statement and even if he did half the conservative party and all labour would vote it down. Possibly leading to a no confidence motion.

I still do not see Cameron stepping down whatever the result. But if he did Boris is not a serious contender. I think Osborne has blown it so: May, Gove, Davis? Or is there a lesser star in the making, after all not many saw Cameron coming.

All speculation of course, but vital if we are negociating overseas. Labour also needs a leader if they want a chance of winning in 2020.

What would happen to UKIP?

Interesting times.

Like 1      
15 Jun 2016 11:14 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

" It is our generation that gave very little if anything to prior generations and now expect future generations to fund the NHS, our Pensions and anything else we feel entitled to.  " This is quite incredulous.... our generation have been through all manner of political turmoil dealing with the transition from mechanised industrial age to the digital age and the toll this placed on communities should not be underestimated. The fact that we came through such a swift and dramatic revolution to reach the 5th largest economy is a credit to the resolve and work ethic of this generation. 

" Somewhere we have lost any sense of community.  We used to be prepared to stand up and help others willingly; now we treat it like it is a burden."

Again I don't recognise your observations. With regard to a sense of community we take immense pride in our local towns and villages with all manner of organised and inclusive events which develops a wonderful sense of community spirit whilst at the same time encouraging tourism, although as in all countries, large cities such as London tend to have a very different feel and approach. 

As for "I hope our children will be a more caring generation than we have been.  If you are an exception to that comment than good on you." I don't recognise this at all, and find we are an incredibly caring generation, in fact I would say it is the exception not to care in the UK. All manner of charitable work is the norm within the older generation in the UK.

This message was last edited by ads on 15/06/2016.

This message was last edited by ads on 15/06/2016.

Like 2      
16 Jun 2016 6:55 AM by BigAl2015 Star rating. 194 posts Send private message

ads

I still do not see Cameron stepping down whatever the result. But if he did Boris is not a serious contender. I think Osborne has blown it so: May, Gove, Davis? Or is there a lesser star in the making, after all not many saw Cameron coming.

I saw Gove on the question time programme last night and he was brilliant and maybe he is the one to take over from DC?

Don't know if you have noticed that when any of the Brexit politicians or representatives appear on TV Q&A programmes, whenever a person on the 'remain side' asks a question they now continually talk over the answer being given. Do you think this is a ploy or desparation?

Like 0      
16 Jun 2016 11:53 AM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

The real cost of being in the E.U

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant. Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant. Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds. Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant. British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales. Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200. M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan. Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants. Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant. Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant. Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant. Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding. Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing. ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase. JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry. UK airports are owned by a Spanish company. Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company. Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies. The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online. Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada. 39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently. I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there. I have made no mention of the likes of Twining Tea's, now made in Poland & many smaller companies like them. I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany. This is why we are probably only hearing from the "Remain" camp statements from Global PLC leaders & Financiers or those that are benefiting from the EU grants.

Just read this and thought that it was worth posting.

This message was last edited by GB45 on 16/06/2016.

Like 4      
16 Jun 2016 12:06 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Not being a political animal, all I can hope is that whoever leads after the EU referendum, removes the shackles of political dogma  that only alienates the electorate and stops the personal attacks and focuses on the many challenges ahead, whether in or out of the EU.

One thing for sure from both scenarios will be the need for a good experienced negotiating team ( I wish this could be cross party to be honest) if they hope to address the very real concerns of the British electorate (which I suspect cover areas of equal concern with other citizens of Europe.) 

Like 1      
16 Jun 2016 12:23 PM by BigAl2015 Star rating. 194 posts Send private message

GB45

What an eye opener, can't wait to see how the 'inners' try and rubbish this !!!!!!

Obviously you have put a lot of time and effort into it...well done.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | ... | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

2015 SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER EXPERT CARBON WORLD CUP - 0 posts
Renting - 7 posts
New law for private rentals in Andalucia - 110 posts
Questions for someone who lives in Corralejo, Fuerteventura. - 0 posts
Looking to buy in Hacienda del Alamo - 15 posts
new to forum - 11 posts
Form 210 non residential tax form - 1 posts
Part time self employment - 1 posts
Supreme Court- Law 57/68- Creditor´s meeting - 0 posts
Property to auction - 7 posts
Buying a car to keep in Spain... - 4 posts
HELP REQ'D WITH A SURVEY FOR A HND - 3 posts
Transfering car from UK to Spain How to do it - 14 posts
Moving to spain - 12 posts
Parking at Gatwick Airport - Discount Code - 0 posts
intercontinental hotel al torre golf resort...re opening? - 1 posts
Printed plan of Cala Mosca Development - 0 posts
For sale Ovation Balladeer LX electro acoustic guitar - 0 posts
Job and renting info please? - 8 posts
TV content from 'home' - 5 posts
Donald Trump - 61 posts
Looking for advice on which estate agent to use..... - 7 posts
Buying Travel Insurance whilst living in Spain - 6 posts
Law 57/68 claims - 25 posts
Hi - new: moving from UK Sussex to Galicia in summer 2016. - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7451

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | 297 | 298 | 299 | 300 | 301 | 302 | 303 | 304 | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | 358 | 359 | 360 | 361 | 362 | 363 | 364 | 365 | 366 | 367 | 368 | 369 | 370 | 371 | 372 | 373 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x