Rough justice yet again!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2010 9:26 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

miket

I really feel that there is a problem in the Spanish courts with either knowing or accepting ''right and wrong''.  There are certain developers for instance who have been known to the courts for years for bad practice, but still the appeals by them are allowed and time scales for hearings and passing of sentence against them are far often longer than is reasonable for the protectection and justice of those wronged by them. There seems to be a hopeless lack of legal bodies in the position to regulate against very obvious wrong doing in Spain, so even blatent and very clear cheating and betrayal of trust ends up in long and costly court case, often with a bad result for those in the right, instead of the dishonest party being bought to book at the apprpriate time. As  the penalties for being in the wrong are so feeble in many cases or not even recognised as we would expect, then it's little wonder that being honest, being in the right, following the rules, etc etc, often stands for so little in Spain. I just feel it's a dreadfull and very wrong situation by any measure of common sense and the way the system works will  never be acceptable without change.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 9:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Many things need to be improved.

Many Judges are already working for this cause, if that brings to you some relief. Many of them consider the Judicial Power  is politicized and that there is a clear lack of independence. The main organization of Judges working for this cause has already 600 members.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 10:08 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

maria

I think ''politicized''  is a very polite way of putting it!.   Good on those judges who are working for the cause. If the system is changed to one that can be trusted to use common sense on clear issues of  'right and wrong', then the benifits to individuals and in the long run Spain's reputation, could be huge?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 10:11 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I am completely with you Goodstich.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 2:01 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks to Maria for the information. It's much appreciated.

Isn't this yet more information then to bring to the attention of the EU? The Spanish government should be made to face up to the realities of what is ACTUALLY happening on the ground right now and be made accountable if they refuse to acknowledge that justice is not being administered fairly.

Everyone who is aware of these facts firsthand should be writing to an MEP compassionate to their cause.

If anyone needs details re an MEP who has recently brought problems to the attention of the EU to date then here it is (apologies for repeating this over and over…..):

Write with specific details to marta.andreasen@europarl.europa.eu

She recently spoke out in the EU parliament see:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_24784.shtml

Also I noticed another recent thread that might be relevant:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/community-forum/18979/about.aspx

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 2:21 PM by jaqib Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Not sure whether our MEP's can do anything anyways!!

Just had reply number 2 from an MEP in my area ( after writing to 7 MEP's ) saying that there's not a lot they can do!! They thought it was a Spanish national matter!!! Have given more detail,at my MEP's request,  regarding my lawyer, Spanish bank involved, etc. so here's hoping, but looks like we can only get somewhere in the European parliament if we had a lorry load of UKIP Marta Andreasen's grabbing Zapatero and the rest of those cronies by the short and curlies!!

Just my opinion but.

Regards

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 2:35 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would certainly encourage you to contact Marta Andreasen   marta.andreasen@europarl.europa.eu   

You lose nothing!

Warm regards,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 2:36 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I take your point jaqib but power in numbers and all that...... surely if thousands wrote to Marta (ever the optimist) then they can't ignore it can they? Spread the word and the momentum may grow.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2010 2:42 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jaqib

yes, that is the standard reply we get from MEP's. Bloody hopeless isn't it!.  We are supposed to abide by  EU laws, but when we need Spain just to conform to human rights and common sense reason that alone law, we are told it's a 'national' matter. If the MEP's haven't got the balls or know how to do anything,  then those like Marta are probably our only hope until Spains decides itself  to start being reasonable, and I think that could take years, if it happens at all?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2010 10:14 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/3107/legal-tip-240-new-measure-to-protect-british-in-spain.aspx

The consulate will monitor the Planning interests of British in Andalucía and Valencia

The autonomous communities of Andalusia and Valencia will have a British consular official in Malaga and Alicante, which will be devoted to inform and warn citizens of the United Kingdom on the various issues that may affect them, mainly in urban affairs, as it has been announced by the Secretary of State for Regional Cooperation, Gaspar Zarrías.

Zarrías, together with the counselor of Housing and Planning of the Government of Andalusia, Juan Espadas, met on Sunday at the British Consulate in Malaga with British Minister for Europe, Chris Bryant, and the British Ambassador in Spain,
Giles Paxman.

Secretary of State Zarrias reported that some months ago he had several meetings with British representatives in order to implement procedures for collaboration and cooperation between both countries as there are a million of UK citizens living in Spain.

The agreement will be effective, he said, within a month, and will allow an officer to be present at the Consulate in Malaga and Alicante so that the British people can know and have information about urban issues, health or
social welfare, among others.

"We intend to work preventively to provide information as once the problem gets into the judicial machinery, solutions are more complicated “he said, referring to the status of eight British families living in the town of Albox, Almeria, which are affected by court orders for the demolition of their homes.

At this point, the British Minister for Europe, questioned on the legal safety of Spain, said that if the homes "fall for legal reasons, it does not help," hence, he continued, the importance of this measure.

"It is better to seek a solution before it gets to court and although in the case of Albox,  they hired the services of a Spanish lawyer, they are still threatened by demolition-judgments and that seems  unfair to many Englishmen," he said.

Both Zarrías and Espadas stressed that legal certainty in Spain is "total and absolute." “British know that the rule of law works here, law exists and everything is done according to law," declared Secretary of State for Regional Cooperation, who reiterated that the launch of this service is precisely to provide information
"before trouble producing actions are carried out”

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Mar 2010 11:53 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

maria

well that looks like a move in the right direction, but I think this last paragraph in particular below is just not true?

''Both Zarrías and Espadas stressed that legal certainty in Spain is "total and absolute." “British know that the rule of law works here, law exists and everything is done according to law," declared Secretary of State for Regional Cooperation, who reiterated that the launch of this service is precisely to provide information "before trouble producing actions are carried out”

........what a load of rubbish!. How cany people know about planning rules that are changed after the right paperwork has been obtained?. Laws are very often not implemented against the worst crooks, and the victims of the crooks seldom get real justice when it comes to return of stolen monies. Court cases are often delayed for a ridiculous amount of time, and appeals are are allowed by known crooked developers. This is just a small selection of ''wrongs'' people might well face when trying to buy in Spain. Will  these facts be part of the information service??

Like 0      
08 Mar 2010 12:25 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

That was my reaction as well Goodstich to the statement "British know that the rule of law works here, law exists and everything is done according to law ".

Incredulous that they can make such a definitive statement when in reality on the gound it's so untrue. So many are being compromised by massive court delays within the judicial system, and how they can ignore the inconsistences of judgements made by some  judges who as Maria has confirmed are "politicized with a clear lack of independence" is beyond me.

"Legal certainty in Spain is total and absolute"..........based on what I would like to know, when there are  thousands who are struggling to achieve justice right now and at what cost?

I'm wondering if we have misunderstood this statement Maria. Can you confirm therefore your thoughts on this statement please.

This message was last edited by ads on 08/03/2010.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 6:55 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

ads

Good indeed to hear from Marta's people today. A voice of common sense and reason at last!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 7:21 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes ads, it looked like such a positive initiative until I read that statement.

Maria is on holiday in London at the moment so I assume she won't be online for few days.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Mar 2010 8:59 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Maria. I admire your optimism. Please do not hold your breath. I am not negative just aware.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 6:30 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

............continued from the 'is living in Spain that bad'  thread.

I really don't want this to turn in to a 'them and us situation' again,and I have no wish to have bad words with anyone on the forum, so can we at least accept that a substantial number of people have been cheated through no fault of their own, and following years of injustice, some of us have even won their cases against the cheats, but due to the system have never recieved anything back (so far!) The cheats are often those in positions of legal trust, and rely on their position for their wrong doing. Many good people have found themselves in dreadfull situations, thanks to agents, lawyers, developers, planners and even judges. Any of us could be in the same situation, and obviously many wronged are far from fools, they are victims of cheats though.

All anyone wants is to be treated in a reasonable way, and to be able to trust those in positions we all have to trust, in the process of legal issues when buying property.

If we can all stand together on this, and not blame those wronged or treat them as fools, then we can hopefully all respect each others opinions on the other issues, good and bad. I realise that comments from those of us wronged can and do come over as very negative, but in many cases they are just ugly facts from first hand experience, and certainly not intended to upset anyone.

I really hope we can all work together on improving the lot for everyone involved in Spanish property industry.  If some of us do seem angry, then please try and understand the effect that fighting for justice for many years has, when you know full well you are in the right!

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 7:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Goodstich

How you stay reasonable is amazing.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 7:52 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Well said goodstich  :-)

The EOS forum threads give everyone the opportunity to give their point of view on all sorts of themes / issues / concerns. People will naturally have different experiences on which their comments are based. All viewpoints should be respected and appreciated and differences of opinion valued ... 

Personally, I get very frustrated when certain comments and opinions on threads ('is living in Spain that bad' is a case in point) receive quite personal and yes, disrespectful, responses. To be honest, it puts me off even commenting myself in case I also receive a barrage of responses that leave me wondering why I bothered to offer my views in the first instance!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we should all be chuffed that people take the time to share their positive and negative experiences so others can take heed and learn.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 7:59 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Goodstitch, Norman answered the question.

So we need "no win no fee" as I see it, or perhaps a mask and a gun. There would only be one choice for me !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 11:28 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Well said Goodstich.

Guslopez. No win no fee would be good but it doesn't detract from the fact that there are many other aspects to the justice administration system, not to mention the query relating to the independence of some judges that compromise those seeking justice in Spain. The problem is much wider than just financial considerations.

Reform is essential in order to achieve consistent justice across Spain and to establish precedents to ensure that developer/bank/lawyer (whatever) abuse is no longer acceptable.

It shouldn't have to depend on the 1000 or so judges who are committed to  political impartiality. Nor should it depend like a postcode lottery whether the court administration in your area is ineffective or not, dependent on the court overloads.

It's incredibly frustrating (understatement) to witness the effects on those caught up in this scenario, us included, so people power is an essential pre-requisite to any solution I would have thought. But it takes commitment, perseverance, a strong sense of moral judgement etc etc to follow this through and for that reason I think Goodstich should be thanked and commended for his persistance and courage, taking the flack as he does, in order to rally support in his mission. Don't give up on us Goodstich 'cos we're with you on this.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR HIRE FOR 7TH -14TH AUGUST FROM GIB - 1 posts
awnings - 1 posts
Dacion en Pago Urgent Query! - 5 posts
Free Prescriptions? - 7 posts
in memory of henry surtees - 1 posts
LOOKING FOR WINTER LET IN ALMORADI - 5 posts
Reform - resources - 6 posts
Spanish Architect - 2 posts
Thats it we will be off......... - 25 posts
Rental - 0 posts
Helping British Expats in Spain - 0 posts
Justin - 3 posts
Holidays in Spain ... Yeah!!! - 1 posts
uk shopping in spain - furniture and electrials - 0 posts
Disappearing 'Flog it' - 9 posts
Re Speeding fine - 32 posts
puerto banus - 2 posts
driving the south coast of spain from barcelona to algarve - 1 posts
Judgement won what should I do next - 3 posts
BEWARE OF ROBBERS - 2 posts
Long term parking - 2 posts
Are there REALLY bargain properties on the Costa Del Sol??? - 0 posts
Finestrat Charity Variety Show - 0 posts
plus advisors - 3 posts
Having a great time in Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1051

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x