Rough justice yet again!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Sep 2009 9:22 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Whew! Good to se you Maria. Enjoy your week-end too!

Like 0      
11 Sep 2009 10:00 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

MAGICMEG

while there is still such helpful info' coming from several posters that  really can help, then I think the thread could run and run? Bound to go up and down the list, but while there is still so much rough justice in the Spanish system then there will always be a place for a thread that offers advice, support and help. I think if everyone wronged would stand together as they do on this thread, then change would happen much faster, but many don't want to open old wounds or admit to making a wrong decision under pressure and are making the best of a bad job, so are assumed ''happy'' by those who could and should be paying back those for whom the system has so clearly cheated.

So well done everyone contributing, and those who don't have justice problems, please be patient with those who do, and let's hope the posts will be more positive one day when people start to get the justice they deserve?

Have a good weekend everyone.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2009 10:32 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Just in case you have not seen it elsewhere :)

There are many things to be done depending on how the finantial/economic situation developer in the comiong months.

First thing to bear in mind is that this is going to be a buyers market for many years ahead. And with that no-pressure by sellers and running the show

If you are pursuing cancellation ( action that can also be called: "restore action" as it put balance in the contract after an abusive contrat") You have got several  finantial assets:

-A potential credit against a developer for the refund of x plus legal interests.

- Buying rights on the property in between ( the developer cannot sell to anyone else till the contract is effectively cancelled and your money refunded).

- A better position within the creditor´s meeting ( if that ever happened)

So... it is not just a matter of contract cancellation at whatever cost, it is a matter of re-establishment. Many of the clauses of many of the contracts I have seen duting the last 3 years and a half are corrosively abusive. Repugnant.

I am enlisting some of the games you can play with the above mentioned assets at hand ( but I am not a finances expert.... so please, make your conmtributions! ):

- You can negotiate a great price reduction with the developer along the judicial proceeding and complete on the property at a much reduced price and with much reduced interest rates

- You can sell your buying rights to someone else and withdraw  the claim,  negotiate with both developer and new buyer on the payment of the judicial costs ( it seems German and Norwegian have already some money to look for some sun).

It is all a matter of some fluctuants, not rigid factors such as:

. Evolution of the market

. Flexibility of developer

but the possibilities are there ( together with many other ones, I am sure)

that.... together with the awesome sensation of being back in control of the situation or at least of a great deal of it. What do you think?

Could we all together transform the current situation in a win-win scheme?

Please send your ideas and have a great weekend.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 10:21 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Good morning all

just thought i'd remind everyone that following a six year battle to get our developer to court for theft, our case was delayed for 12 months which allowed the developer to go in to administration. As if this wasn't bad enough, it's five months today since our court case and stll the judge hasn't  passed sentence, and that should be done in max 20 days.!!!

I don't think anything I could say could decribe just how wrong a system is that still treats people like this. It speaks for itself.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 10:29 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Have you personally written to your EU Minister about this? The more that do so (with specific details)   the better.

Baroness Kinnock of Holyhead (Glenys Kinnock who replaced Caroline Flint in July 2009)

House of Lords

London SW1A OAA

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 10:53 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

ads

I will this week now the five months since our day in court has come and gone. What makes it more bizzare is that those we are up against our now facing a 12 year jail sentence for fraud!!!.  How much more evidence does a judge need that would take five months to make a decision when we have a signed contract, no property and even an admission of guilt in the form of an offer from the developer minuets before the case started, though deemed unacceptable by our lawyer as he said the developer couldn't even be trusted to honour his cash offer and the only way to be sure of getting anything was through a property settlement!!! 

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 11:05 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I know this is difficult to contemplate but have you considered taking a second opinion on how this is being handled by your lawyer?

Would another lawyer like to comment on this situation that Goodstitch has presented and if there is another method of gaining justice from this scenario (even if it's through a PM)?????

It certainly is a classic case to demonstrate the ineffectual justice system that predominates right now.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 11:13 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

There are actions against Justice administration at hand.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 11:31 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Could you expand further on this please Maria.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 1:18 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I mean that as almost as any other legal operator, administration and justice administration is subject to Law and corresponding liabilities.

I am translating below related basic provisions:

Article 2. Object.

1. By the procedures under this regulation public authorities grant the right to compensation to individuals as provided in Chapter I,  Title X of the Law on Legal Regime of Public Administrations and Common Administrative Procedure, for those damages suffered in any of their property and rights provided that the damage is the result of normal or abnormal functioning of public services,
except in cases of force majeure or damages which the individual has to legally bear.

This regulation will also apply for the recognition of  liabilities incurred by public authorities acting in private law relations.

2. The resolution of the proceedings or, where appropriate, the agreement for agreed solution will set the amount and mode of compensation, where applicable, in accordance with the criteria for calculating and paying down provided in Article 141 of Law on Legal regime of Public Administrations and Common Administrative Procedure.

The payment in kind against money compensation will be used  when it is more appropriate to ensure proper and appropriate compensation to the public interest, formalizing, in any case, by agreement between the government and the concerned person.

3. Decisions and agreements  will end the administrative route.

If a group action can be formed, better, in my opinion. That would help to fight for a better justice administration. Yes, we do have rights for that.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 21/09/2009.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 1:30 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

I don't doubt there is some law that covers this fiasco by the courts themselves, but once again is the required regulation in place to assure that the law is implemented?. If not, what are we left with?, just more money and time wasted trying to get those in a position of trust to do the right thing?

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 1:54 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, of course there are regulations that implement Law in this aspect.  The one in force now is from 1993.

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 2:03 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

OK Maria, at what point can you action this law? Is it at some end point where the purchaser has no other options open to them (many years down the line), or is it available to enact during the legal process, i.e can it be enacted before the developer goes into administration if it can be proved that the purchaser has been significantly compromised up to that point by court delays?

Bottom line, what is considered an acceptable delay? Is this in itself a grey area?

Could in effect the courts suggest force majeure given the volume of cases now being presented and thereby suggest matters were taken out of their hands, or should they have been seen to have taken measures to find extra resources in order to retain a decent timescale for cases to be judged and decisions executed. It's all very vague as it stands.

This message was last edited by ads on 21/09/2009.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 2:17 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It is necessary that the  Courts decission becomes uneffective due to delays. I need to consider the particular case. You can aact once the damage is already existing.

Let me go deeper on this and come back to you with a blogpost on this tomorrow.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 21/09/2009.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 2:59 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

maria

had our case been delayed for say 4 months and not 12 months, with a quick desicision from the court our embargo could have been put in to action, but if the delay passing sentence was still as long as it has been we still would have lost out as the developer would have still gone in to administration.

Our chance of justice has been ruined by the courts using delaying tactics twice!!!.  If the courts themselves faced heavy penalties for delaying cases or sentence on cases, then I don't think they would be so keen not to serve fast justice. What or who is there to make them act in a reasonable manner though?  Why should I now have to pay a lawyer to make sure that even the courts are doing their job properly?, and how long and how much money would that take?

No, it's a dishonest mess by those in positions we have to be able to trust to do what they are paid very hansomely to do. Sadly and very wrongly we can't trust them, and until that changes then there wont be justice for many.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 3:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I fully understand your frustration. Please pm me to see if we can get somewhere together.

Best,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 3:23 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

And in the interim it's imperative to pass on details to the EU Minister, Goodstitch.

It's absolutely critical now that they be made aware of these growing instances of injustice.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2009 10:32 PM by MAGICMEG Star rating in Scotland. 546 posts Send private message

Yes !  We must keep up the  pressure on  MEPs and  the UK government and if need be  we should miss out the " middle men " and go directly to the  foreign office (Spain Desk )   . Most replies I get  say " we have past this information to the foreign office "  (Spain desk )    Did they ??????

Lets stop becoming a minor irritation , lets become an annoying, persistent , unbearable rash  that refuses to go away .

I email them all at least once a week . MEPs ,SMPs and  UKMPs if nothing else they now know who  I am and that I am not going away . MM

Nothing surprises me anymore  

but I am willing to accept that sometimes (although not very often ) I can be  wrong !

Like 0      
22 Sep 2009 1:40 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The promised blogpost on Justice administration liability for delays.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/2303/legal-tip-149-responsibility-of-the-administration-of-justice-for-undue-delays.aspx

Legal tip 149. Responsibility of the administration of justice for undue delays.
22 September 2009 @ 13:23

It is true that the much hyped financial and real estate crisis in our country has packed the courts but.... Should we be content with things as they are? Can we, lawyers, do something about it? Should we go to liability claims against the administration for delays in the administration of justice?

After a moment of reflection this morning,  before our daily team breakfast with our guest these days, Rachael, the daughter of  a customer who came to see how we work for a couple of days-thanks for your visit Rachael!; and before getting into the beautiful vortex of daily work, I conclude that everyone must deal with improving what is within their professional scope and potential, being realistic and maverick at the same time ... which, hum! It is not easy at all. That is maybe why it attracts me… fatally.

To lawyers, in defending the interests of our clients, is necessary to review the functioning of the judiciary, especially in this global world we live in now, where our foreign customers encourage us to overcome the “status quo” and aim for the best.

It is a difficult subject, but that's why we can not stay idle: the responsibility of the administration of justice for undue delays.

Let’s see what our Spanish Constitution (dated 1978) states in different related articles:

Article 24.1:

1. All persons are entitled to effective protection of judges and courts in the exercise of their rights and interests, without, in any case being victim of a lack of defence

Article 106.2:

Individuals, on the terms established by law, shall be entitled to compensation for any damage they suffer in any of their property and rights, except in cases of force majeure, whenever such damage is the result of the operation of public services.

And Article 121 states:

Damages caused by judicial error as well as those arising from irregularities in the administration of justice, shall be entitled to compensation from the State, according to law.

The high points of the entire task of requesting accountability to the judiciary by undue delays are four:

1* The determination of what constitutes "abnormal functioning" this has not been clarified by the Act and therefore must go to the specific case, its complexity, the performance of the parties ... and Case Law applicable.

2* The damage can be inflicted upon any type of property and rights, comprising also the moral damage.

3* There must be a clear cause-effect relationship between the activity of dispensing justice and the damage suffered by the litigant.

4* And the million-euros question:  When is there a “ material impossibility” to act more effectively and expeditiously?

The best legal doctrine about the just-mentioned point (number 4) says that although it is true that in some cases there is an overwhelming overwork in court, this can not deprive the citizen's right to compensation if it causes damages.

We must not forget that the legal order assigns to the judiciary the duty to "promote all the necessary means" to exercise its function.

What is the procedure for these claims?

The request for compensation needs to be done before the Ministry of Justice under the regulations established in  Articles 139 and following of the Law 30/1992 of November 26, amended by Law 4 / 1999 of 13 January, and Real Decree 429/93 of 26 March).

The claim deadline expires one year after the date the damaging event occurred or caused its negative effects.

Appeal against the decision of the Administration of Justice can be done before the Administration itself, if decided, and of course before Courts that prosecute the action of the government: the Contentious- Administrative Courts.

Applicable regulations

*Spanish Constitution, articles 24, 106.2 and 121.

* Law 6 / 1985 of 1 July, on the Judiciary: articles 292 to 297.

*Law 30/1992 of 26th of November on the Legal Regime of Public Administrations and Common Administrative Procedure, as amended by Law 4 / 1999 of 13 January.

*Royal Decree 429/1993 of 26 March, approving the Regulations of the Procedures for Public Administrations in terms of financial liability.

Hojas de liquidámbar by Martius at Flickr.com

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Sep 2009 10:40 PM by MAGICMEG Star rating in Scotland. 546 posts Send private message

Rough justice / sometimes the more simply we state our case the better it is understood .

In 2004 I paid 70,000 euros to a very large and  reputable Spanish Company as deposit  on a holiday home .

I am not an investor nor was I trying to make a fast buck . I just wanted a place for me and my children to enjoy for holidays . (so much time has passed that my children are now at university and holiday on their own , nothing can replace these years spent waiting and hoping  )

This company took my money gave me a bank guarantee and I waited patiently for my house to be completed .They did not build my house and I have spent thousands trying to have my money returned .They have my money ,I have nothing .What part of this does the Spanish legal system have trouble understanding .They took my money I have Nada . Surely this is theft in any language ,in any judicial system this is quite clearly theft .

The finite details of why all this has happened are  an irrelevance to me .I have been robbed and the Spanish judicial system is laughing  in the face of honour ,decency and the basic human right of justice for the victims of crime  .

All the legal jargon in the world , quoting this law and that judgement  is of no help at all  when the system is intrinsically corrupt and flawed to the point of being a total lottery for anyone brave enough to buy a ticket .

I can only thank those like Maria for trying to change the system but will it ever change ,I don't think it ever will . It does not even have the good grace to   MM

Nothing surprises me anymore  

but I am willing to accept that sometimes (although not very often ) I can be  wrong !

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR HIRE FOR 7TH -14TH AUGUST FROM GIB - 1 posts
awnings - 1 posts
Dacion en Pago Urgent Query! - 5 posts
Free Prescriptions? - 7 posts
in memory of henry surtees - 1 posts
LOOKING FOR WINTER LET IN ALMORADI - 5 posts
Reform - resources - 6 posts
Spanish Architect - 2 posts
Thats it we will be off......... - 25 posts
Rental - 0 posts
Helping British Expats in Spain - 0 posts
Justin - 3 posts
Holidays in Spain ... Yeah!!! - 1 posts
uk shopping in spain - furniture and electrials - 0 posts
Disappearing 'Flog it' - 9 posts
Re Speeding fine - 32 posts
puerto banus - 2 posts
driving the south coast of spain from barcelona to algarve - 1 posts
Judgement won what should I do next - 3 posts
BEWARE OF ROBBERS - 2 posts
Long term parking - 2 posts
Are there REALLY bargain properties on the Costa Del Sol??? - 0 posts
Finestrat Charity Variety Show - 0 posts
plus advisors - 3 posts
Having a great time in Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1051

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x