Registering a car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Dec 2016 1:51 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi all

I am after some information please. Is it expensive to re register a car in Spain. I am trying to buy a lhd car here in the UK and I am finding that a lot of them are French or other European country registered.

Im wondering if it's expensive to re-register

Thanks in aticipation

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 2:02 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Why not buy in spain and avoid all the fees and taxes

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 4:24 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

They are so much cheaper to buy in the UK I'm finding

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 5:09 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Not when you add on the taxes, registration fees and so on in Spain.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 5:27 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I am trying to buy a lhd car here in the UK

Remembering the days when LHD cars sold for peanuts in the UK I decided to try and buy one and take it to Spain.

I quickly found out that they no longer sell for peanuts and cars that had been previously Spanish registered actually sold at a premium.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 6:50 PM by Axeman Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I am looking to buy a new Dacia in Murcia, Has anyone done this in Murcia was not it easy or hard work ?

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 8:13 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I've bought a couple of new cars here in Spain although not Dacia. No problem at all. The dealer does everything for you and you just need to make sure the insurance company emails or faxes the insurance through to the dealer.  You get temporary documents straight away and the log book and technical details come through in about a week. Insurance green card (yes, they still issue them here) was in the post in 3 or 4 days. The dealer is responsible for the Spanish version of road tax and you don't have to pay it until the following year. Plus all the dealers have someone who speaks English.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 8:43 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

Just replaced our KIA car in Murcia with a new one 4 weeks ago. Very much like the UK. The dealers like you to engage in the negotiating process. Overall is was fairly easy. Just some caveats:

1) Don't expect to pay the internet advertised price, unless you are taking credit. You will rarely get so low due to matriculation costs etc. You can still haggle for discounts. Look at http://www.coches.net/nuevos/ for price references. Print out copies so they know you know the prices.

2) If you are buying as a non-resident and are not on the "padron" you will also need to produce a copy of tenancy agreement or property title.

3) Be prepared to pay upfront via bank transfer or bank draft. It is normal process.

4) The insurance company wanted us to contact them whilst at the garage to change over the registration numbers on the insurance policy. Not quite as the UK when you just telll them day of exchange.

Saludos

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 8:45 PM by Axeman Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replys guys, all new to me.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 8:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Plus all the dealers have someone who speaks English." - Wow, that's a massive assumption! What, every dealer, anywhere in Spain?

Have a look at the LHD Place in Basingstoke (Google it) - they sell cars on Spanish plates, or will arrange to register them onto Spanish plates for you. But looking at their stock, no, they ain't cheap. However, they probably are mostly in better condition than second hand, previously Spanish owned cars in Spain.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
04 Dec 2016 9:24 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Don't be silly. He asked for the dealer in Murcia. 

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 10:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Silly me. A quick Google shows me at least three Dacia dealers in Murcia; having never been to any of them, I will assume you have personal knowledge of each, and accept that each of them guarantees service in English. 

My apologies laugh

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Dec 2016 11:45 PM by Axeman Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I've been told I could order a Dacia from the Renault dealer at San Pedro in Murcia.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 10:46 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Dacia are owned by Renault and are available through their dealer network

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 11:04 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

And best of all, every Renault dealer speaks English laugh

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 1:49 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

There was an English speaker at Renault in San Pedro a couple of years ago when I was looking for a new car. Would expect this to still be the case as lots of UK expats in the area.

I think OP will find Renault dealers in most towns in Murcia.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 8:30 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Paco the salesman is still at the San Pedro dealership. Well he was last week!

In answer to someone who asked if there are discounts the answer is yes there is a little wriggle room but not massive amounts as in the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non EU national, resident in Spain, married to EU national, travelling to UK - 5 posts
Who said lawyer isn´t liable? - 5 posts
Supreme Court Crack Down on Timeshare Contracts - 0 posts
Replaying ball in the stree - 10 posts
Finca near Villablanca - 2 posts
Re registering a spainish car - 17 posts
Towing a boat - 5 posts
Alicante Car Hire - 7 posts
Europa Energy - 0 posts
Eye lasering - 7 posts
BBQ 30th November - 0 posts
fine - 3 posts
Community Water - 12 posts
Re Registering Car Witn No NIE - 8 posts
New here! - 4 posts
English folk music club. - 2 posts
making an off - 28 posts
TV set top box - 7 posts
Today's daft question! - 10 posts
Bilbao parking ticket/fine! - 1 posts
Zenmate - 2 posts
Sunday Opening - 4 posts
The thin edge of the wedge - 3 posts
Spanish Justice ?? where is it ? -- take care when buying a property with contracts and Spanish Law - 5 posts
Wayne Stoneman - Missing Person - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x