Re registering a spainish car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2016 7:27 PM by Pebteerab Star rating in Algorfa . 3 posts Send private message

Hi 

outline of problems I have a lhd car which was on Spainish plates which I took home to U.K and changed onto U.K. Plate I now want to bring it back to Spain, it's been out of Spain for about 3 years. Can I really register it onto spainish plates or would I face problems like back dated suma, all uk road tax, mot up to date.

any help would be good

Like 0      
02 Dec 2016 7:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure what the question is? There should be no problem registering it in Spain again (it'll cost more than it did to register it in the UK), but of course it has to have everyting up to date and paid in full. Are you saying there was outstanding Spanish tax at the time you exported it? Or that the UK MoT & tax have expired?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 11:07 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Many Spanish registered cars seem to find their way back to the UK without being de registered in Spain (bajo de vehiculo) surprisingly many seem to be able to be re registered with the DVLA .

Pebteerab, did you complete the formal paperwork in Spain before you took it back? 

If you are unsure as to the status get a informe de vehiculo report  (many online sources) this will confirm the status of the car in the eyes of the Spanish authorities 

If it turns out the car is still registered in Spain you can bring it back and pay all the outstanding taxes if not you will have to go through the registration process as a new application

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 2:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I presume that if a baja has not been registered before the car left Spain, it can be done (indeed, presumably has to be done) in order to re-register it with DVLA once in the UK? For that to be done, surely any outstanding charges, fines etc., would have had to have been paid off first? If the baja is done before leaving Spain, you would also then have to apply for temporary (green) plates in order to drive it for the next 60 days - and I can see all sorts of problems arising with that, with insurance etc.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 2:52 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Roberto

Your comments are pretty much in line with my understanding - but I do think you have to go in person to your local traffico office to register the baja - I dont think it's anything that DVLA can do their end, You could always use a gestor to do it, which for what they cost is by far the best way. Using a gestor  when back in the UK would also side step the green plate problem.

Will be interesting to hear back from Pebteerab

I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the DVLA does not require the baja information to register a EU car in the UK  - which if I am correct means that a car can be registered in two places at once

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 3:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I honestly have no idea, but it seems unlikely that DVLA would register a vehicle, knowing that it's still registered in another EU country. I imagine the LHD dealers in the UK, if taking on a Spanish registered vehicle, use a gestor in Spain to process the baja. What's the process in reverse? Many years ago, I brought a LHD car on UK plates to Spain, without notifying DVLC. A gestor handled the re-registration process, which I assume included notifying DVLC that the car had been exported permanently. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 3:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I honestly have no idea, but it seems unlikely that DVLA would register a vehicle, knowing that it's still registered in another EU country.

Some years ago I imported a Gib Reg car into UK.  I never cancelled the Reg in Gib and was not questioned about the Gib Reg in UK.  I never heard anthing from Gib either

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/12/2016.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2016 10:13 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Yes.

When I brought a car from Belguim the authorities were not interested in it's previous registration. It was a few years ago though. Tax authorities might be interested if you bring it from outside the EU.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 7:38 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi all 

very interesting however my

original question hasn't been addressed ... Is it expensive to register a European car in Spain  lol 

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 8:27 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

It all depends on the value of your car, its emissions and several other things. Also will you be doing it yourself or paying someone to do it for you?

I would estimate that somewhere between €400 to €1,000 should cover it. It also depends exactly where in Spain you are going to register the car as different regions charge different amounts and also require different paperwork.

So your original question is like asking how long is a piece of string.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 11:13 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well, we were all making small talk, waiting to find out exactly what your question was!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 12:38 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

It was Is it expensive to re register a car onto Spanish plates if it is registered on any other European countries plates? 🤔🤔

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 1:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

It's the same price as it would be registering a car from the UK. The only difference would be you wouldn't have to change the lights for driving on the right. 

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 1:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

With respect, Sterling, this wasn't your thread, hence your "original" question wasn't answered here since it was never asked! The original question on this thread was something muddled about outstanding suma, mot, tax etc.

Mark Twain

Like 1      
06 Dec 2016 3:44 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

😂😂😂🤗🤗🤔🤔🤔

Like 0      
06 Dec 2016 3:44 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

😂😂😂🤗🤗🤔🤔🤔

Like 0      
24 Dec 2016 8:34 AM by Offer Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi I'm wanting to bring my American pick up truck Spain and register it ie matriculate I have ni numbers and house in El cucador Almeria but live in uk and come out to spain 6/7 times a year with a view to eventually live there.

Can anyone help with sound advice firstly American truck is it classed as commercial and can it be charged to Spanish regarding, also if I'm not full residential.  Cheers Steve 

This message was last edited by Offer on 24/12/2016.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2016 9:40 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Offer:  Can anyone help with sound adviceI

Speak to a gestor.

That is one of the jobs they do,  so they are the ones who will know for sure.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Towing a boat - 5 posts
Alicante Car Hire - 7 posts
Europa Energy - 0 posts
Eye lasering - 7 posts
BBQ 30th November - 0 posts
fine - 3 posts
Community Water - 12 posts
Re Registering Car Witn No NIE - 8 posts
New here! - 4 posts
English folk music club. - 2 posts
making an off - 28 posts
TV set top box - 7 posts
Today's daft question! - 10 posts
Bilbao parking ticket/fine! - 1 posts
Zenmate - 2 posts
Sunday Opening - 4 posts
The thin edge of the wedge - 3 posts
Spanish Justice ?? where is it ? -- take care when buying a property with contracts and Spanish Law - 5 posts
Wayne Stoneman - Missing Person - 2 posts
jonter - 3 posts
Deposit Refund - 8 posts
Accomodation - 0 posts
Conveyancing and errors in Bank Guarantees - 5 posts
thinking of buying motorcycle for use in spain - 10 posts
Are there many people paying mortgages loan for illegal properties? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x