TV set top box

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2016 3:19 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I've got a Ferguson Ariba satalite receiver box. It's been working ok through the satalite dish. I've no internet connection. The box is failing at times so I need a replacement. Anyone recommend a replacement and where can I buy it in Spain.

I'm tempted to get a box in the UK but they all seem pre loaded with freesat channels. They've also wi fi stuff on them that I don't need. As I understand Freesat and free to air are not the same, the latter having more channels.

The box I need will have to scan for channels from Murcia. My dish points to Astra 2

what box will plug in and scan for channels and where can I get it

Thank you

Like 0      
23 Nov 2016 5:15 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

They don't do Freesat in Spain although a couple of outlets near expat areas have them. You can get a sat box which will pick up the channels but in no particular order and nor will they get the proper Electronic Programme Guide.

Humax is very good (although the remotes tend to be short-lived) but look for one that says Freesat. Amazon sell them and will ship to Spain. Amazon co.uk they are about £80 but the Amazon .es site they are €179 so a big difference.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2016 6:32 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Thank you mariedav but I don't think I want a freesat box. I want something like the Ariba I'm using at the moment. It's not freesat but is a free to air box. Freesat is a brand name for UK. I'm not sure I can scan the satalite in Spain because most freesats are pre loaded that I can see on sale in the UK

Like 0      
23 Nov 2016 6:39 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

No, they are not preloaded. You plug it in, stick in a UK postcode and it scans the satellite for all the Freesat channels. You can also load all the non Freesat channels on it as well (but no EPG with those). It has a setting for scan all channels which picks up anything available on that particular satellite and you can switch between Freesat and All Channels.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2016 6:40 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

No, they are not preloaded. You plug it in, stick in a UK postcode and it scans the satellite for all the Freesat channels. You can also load all the non Freesat channels on it as well (but no EPG with those). It has a setting for scan all channels which picks up anything available on that particular satellite and you can switch between Freesat and All Channels.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2016 7:50 AM by gregry Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you for the information. 

Like 0      
28 Nov 2016 10:08 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I have a Humax box about 7 years old and I am thinking or replacing it. The information I have gained is that if you buy a box in the UK from a 'high street shop' it is likely to be for Freesat/Sky only as that is what the vast majority of UK buyers want. I have been looking at alternative boxes and the one that comes out best (so far) is a Technomate. This will need a little patience in setting up the channels you want to view but I understand that the quality of the picture is one of the best. It also states that it is good in poor reception areas (Spain!) and it does enhance SD to nearly HD. It states that it is easy to view all channels from your aligned satellite fairly easily. The one I am looking at is a 'twin' which has the ability to record one channel and watch a different one. If you are only interested in just watching and not recording then maybe a Spiderbox might be ok.

You can but these from companies like amazon UK or systemsat. Both deliver to Spain and seem to offer good guarantees. Prices range from about £70 up to nearly £200. The advantage from buying from the UK is that if you do not like your purchase within 14 days you can send it back for full refund, the instructions are probably in English and most importantly if it goes wrong after 14 days you have a proper guarantee from the vendor and do not have to send it back to the manufacturer for a repair!.

The best way to decide is to get all the info. you can, understand what you want and do not want and then stick a pin in the one to buy. Good luck

Like 0      
24 Jan 2017 5:36 AM by guerrero Star rating in Toronto. 3 posts Send private message

I brought my appliances from amzon.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Today's daft question! - 10 posts
Bilbao parking ticket/fine! - 1 posts
Zenmate - 2 posts
Sunday Opening - 4 posts
The thin edge of the wedge - 3 posts
Spanish Justice ?? where is it ? -- take care when buying a property with contracts and Spanish Law - 5 posts
Wayne Stoneman - Missing Person - 2 posts
jonter - 3 posts
Deposit Refund - 8 posts
Accomodation - 0 posts
Conveyancing and errors in Bank Guarantees - 5 posts
thinking of buying motorcycle for use in spain - 10 posts
Are there many people paying mortgages loan for illegal properties? - 2 posts
Tax on property owned outside Spain - 8 posts
Threads keep vanishing ? - 8 posts
Mobile phones - 4 posts
Gas Conversion - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 4 posts
Organizations/Social Groups/Clubs in Xabia/Javea for 30 year olds. - 5 posts
short changed from ATM machine - 8 posts
Christmas day Santiago De La Ribera/San Javier - 0 posts
3 bed accommodation sought - 3 posts
FIFA Bans Poppy - 8 posts
Shower screens/enclosures - 6 posts
Equestrian rental - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x