All Things Sports

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2007 5:37 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Thanks for that, John.  I remember my husband saying that Duquesa was more akin to a "municipal" course, quality-wise!  Will be nice to try Los Arqueros - most of the courses here are pretty flat.  When I started playing golf, when we lived in Singapore for a couple of years, used to play two very hilly nine hole courses there - a real challenge, especially for a beginner!  And mucky boots, too!!

I think an EOS sponsored golf day would be very interesting!  Although, would really have to be some time in the summer, when most of us could make it over at some point!!  We can't really just pop over for the weekend from here!!

What do you say, Justin??

This message was last edited by Pitby on 3/21/2007.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 1:28 PM by bill Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Cannot agree with the comments on Duquesa Golf course.

It is very enjoyable and usually in good condition. Some holes are tight and it is easy to lose a ball on a wayward shot (but that is the idea of the game) . A group of 8 of us played last Sept (handicaps from 4 to 18) and liked Duquesa, Dona Julia, La Canada (which is a type of municipal but very good !).

Have not tried Los Arqueros as I have read a few iffy reports on it but will give it a go.

By the way, don`t pay the prices at the clubs but pre-book through an agent (even can be done up to a day or so before) - it will save you on green fees. They advertise on web sites and in the Duquesa port - I  use Gaston golf myself.

Bill

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 1:32 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Bill.  I think we're a bit spoilt here as there are no municipal courses!  Have to take out a mortgage for a round here!!  So when my husband played Duquesa, a few years ago, he wasn't too impressed with the condition of the course. But, as I said in an earlier post, it was in July and we think that they may do ground maintenance at that time.  Not sure though.

Interesting about the agent.  Where exactly are Gaston Golf?  Do they have a website?

Thanks!

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 1:38 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Bill

I used golf-service.com to book my courses . I agree Duquesa was in good condition...i just preferred the other 2.

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 2:29 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Just checked out golf-service.com - that's really helpful!  Gaston, I think,  do the whole packages, which is great if you need accommodation too.

Will definitely book through an agent - not that we'll have loads of time to golf on this trip.  But definitely want to get a couple of games in!

Looking at some of the rates quoted, it seems that July/August are "off peak" months - which is great for us!!   That's when we'll spend more time there.  Why is that?  Is it considered too hot?  Or is that when it's best for maintenance?

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 3:16 PM by pedyer Star rating in Bristol, England / B.... 83 posts Send private message

pedyer´s avatar

Hi All

Sorry to get off the golf theme but.........

Now I know I said a while back that I would not mention Liverpool, as I come from Bristol and it's illegal, but really Smiley, your post of yesterday something to do with a CFC v MU champions league final, excuse me, as you say "few big games first" and against whom, all I can say is champions 5 times and looking to add.

Anyway, come on the Robins & Championship here we come.

Pete

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 3:41 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Jan

I think you are spot on about the reason off peak is July/august. It would be muuurdderr for me to play at those times, however when i worked down in Wiltshire we use to have a game of golf , on the 21st June the longest daylight hours , before work and then after work until very late. What i am saying it should be easy to get a game before or after the heat of the day stops you. I wonder if they would open courses early??

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 3:45 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
John, we still play here in summer, through 45-48°c and 90pc humidity!!  Nuts or what!!  So, for us, summer in Duquesa is a a breeze!!

All the better for us though, if we spend a lot of time there this summer!

Really looking forward to it next week!

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 3:48 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Pete

I have to be honest and agree that Liverpool look better in Europe that they do in the premiership but 4 of the EC wins were when all you had to do was beat the likes of Hibernian of Malta , then the vikings of oslo then hey presto you were in the final to face mmmm Bruges. Can't deny the last win was merited but its not the same competition as now...even Forest won it twice!!!

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 4:22 PM by alanwspencer Star rating in Hertfordshire/Duques.... 340 posts Send private message

alanwspencer´s avatar

John

At least in the days when Notts F won the EC it was a competition for champions! Now its champions and also rans.

Alan

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 4:23 PM by pedyer Star rating in Bristol, England / B.... 83 posts Send private message

pedyer´s avatar

Hello John

Fair comment about the standard of opponents when we (sorry Liverpool) were kings of europe, you can only beat who's put in front of you, but that said if Forest could win it twice and also dont forget Villa then it dont say much for Man U (there, you made me mention them) at that time or in recent times when you have to confess they did not win on skill or style of play.

All this said about this and that, I'm going back into my shell now until we beat the blues in the semi's and concentrate all my attention on my home team of BRISTOL CITY, come on you Reds.

Few facts about BRISTOL CITY before I go...

We were in the First division once and beat Arsenal on the opening day of the season at Highbury, all down hill from there.

We beat Liverpool 1 - 0 at Anfield in the FA cup, Graeme Souness got the sack and I did'nt know whether to laugh or cry (cry)

We beat Leeds in the FA cup when they were the dogs what's it's.

and finally.... we had an England centre forward by the name of John Atteo

Cheers for now

Pete

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 10:35 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Alan

can't argue with that one...you are right...and when Manu beat Bayern neither of them were champions of their league....

Pete

Another fact about Bristol City....didn't Gerry Gow play for you ?

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 10:47 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Jan

Golf for you in summer in CDS will be like millionaire's golf..the whole course to yourself. As you say in other threads you will soon be there...have a great time. If you feel the need for the internet there is a wifi enabled internet cafe in the Courtyard in Monte Duquesa.you will pass this on the way to the development. I spent lots of time last summer working from a chair in Becky's bar , laptop in one hand and a beer in the other.

This message was last edited by JC1 on 3/21/2007.

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 10:47 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

This message was last edited by JC1 on 3/21/2007.

Regards

John

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 11:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Seems I opened a can of worms - oh goody I do like tro be controversial

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:32 AM by pedyer Star rating in Bristol, England / B.... 83 posts Send private message

pedyer´s avatar

Hi Alan

I'm off the MU subject now as they make what hair I've got left stand up but thanks for bringing up your point, brought a smile to my face.

As for Gerry Gow, thanks for reminding me but how could I have forgotten him, like I mentioned we beat Leeds in the FA cup and they had this hard man (when footballers were hard and you could tackle people or is that assult?) called Billy Bremner, anyway Gerry kicked him sorry tacked him all over the park for the first half and nothing was seen of Mr Bremner in the second half and the Robins won, at the end of the match they shook each others throats (they swap shirts now) and went there merry way.

and Smiley you've got me started now, about the other mob you mentioned, best quote I've seen about them recently "2nd division team that won the lottery" sums them up nicely I think. I see another Leeds episode coming up.

Justin, I'm sorry if I have offended any supporters of the teams mentioned in this post, I did not mean too, HONEST.

Hasta luego

Pete

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:43 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Pete

you did it again...always having to mention Man U...stop doing it...only make your hair fall out

Gerry '. mad dog 'Gow went to Man City and with John Bond did a great job there...they could do with him now.

PS..i have a picture of John O'Shea's last minute winner at Anfield...have you got it?  do you want a copy?

Regards

John

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 12:29 PM by pedyer Star rating in Bristol, England / B.... 83 posts Send private message

pedyer´s avatar

Hi John

Thanks for remembering Gerry with Man City, proper supporters they've got (have we done that one) and as for there manager, my type of player.

As for the photo, no thanks, have not seen the goal and have no intentions of seeing it but I've got a photo of Dick Turpin, he was into highway robbery as way, but facts is facts MU scored and we didnt, gutted absolutely gutted.

Right no more Man U stuff please from anyone, Justin what sort of web site are you running?

LOL

Pete 

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 1:09 PM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar
cheers Pete...speak soon no doubt

Regards

John

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 11:45 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

San Cayetano Quarter Villas - 12 posts
needing new home - 1 posts
restaurante hesparia en murcia - 0 posts
Iberian International Problems with? - 33 posts
How do I get an Avatar? - 41 posts
what is a legal proxy vote - 12 posts
You and your Car in Spain - 2 posts
Part Load To Spain From UK - 2 posts
Buying a bungalow in Daya Nueva La Vega Baja development - 1 posts
Keep trying to change me Avatar - 2 posts
Coto Real Development - 9 posts
Oxygen Rental / Purchase in Spain - 3 posts
Spain real estate: como es global property guide report - 0 posts
Anyone in UK interested in a meet up - 6 posts
Peggotys Fish and Chips and nearby - 8 posts
Purchase/Sale Contract Example - 33 posts
Driving to our new home - 13 posts
Does anyone else find the EOS logo creepy??? - 21 posts
Buying an appartment in Almaradi - 10 posts
Maps of towns, airports & lots of great information - 2 posts
Check weather in your area of Spain for 5-10 days ahead - 18 posts
Mar Menor Restaurants? - 116 posts
Spanish civil procedure question - 2 posts
T-mobile sims - 0 posts
Free 02 sim cards, you can have up to 4 free - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 302

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x