thinking of buying motorcycle for use in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Nov 2016 1:15 PM by wrightybfc Star rating in barnsley. 28 posts Send private message

always had bikes and wonder what its like driving one over in spain .has anyone experience of  conditions . the roads seem good in a car but i just wonder how other drivers react to bikes . also if its good to drive  where is a good place around murcia to buy from. cheerrs folks

Like 0      
16 Nov 2016 3:34 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

A lot of people on HERE will say great yeh go do it but they are STUPID BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEVER RIDDEN A BIKE got knocked off and remembered how it feels 

DO NOT RIDE A MOTORCYCLE IN SPAIN YOU WILL DIE 

The Spanish are some of the WORST DRIVERS in the world 

I have owned thirty motorcycles HAYABUSAs etc 

THREAD CLOSED

Love Hugh xx

Like 2      
16 Nov 2016 5:11 PM by wrightybfc Star rating in barnsley. 28 posts Send private message

to be fair that is what i thought would be the reaction but i needed to ask to stop myself been stupid

Like 0      
16 Nov 2016 5:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have ridden a motorcycle, a road bicycle and have had a car in Spain since I came to live here permanently about 30 years ago.  I currently ride a 600 cc Yamaha.  

Just like in UK  a rider must drive defensively so as to avoid becoming an accident victim.  I have had just one M/C accident,  when I was hit by a car on a traffic light controlled junction. The driver went against the red light and was looking away from the approaching traffic.  I was going too slowly to avoid that one. 

As a cyclist (road bike) I have been hit twice.   In a car I have also had two accidents.  

In all cases I have been compensated by the other vehicle’s insurance.

One thing in Spain which new riders on two wheels need to be aware of is that dry roads,  in the areas of Spain where there is little rain, can be very slippery, and when they are wet after a small amount of rain they are like an ice skating rink.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2016 3:55 PM by M1614 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I`m planning on bringing my CCM out next spring on the back of my motorhome, I`ve been riding for 36 years and in over 20 countries, I`ve ridden in much worse countries than Spain, try riding in Morocco - first world hardware, third world mentality. If you are an experienced and confident rider don`t be detered, if you can ride through London you`ll be fine in Spain. I`ll also be doing some off roading as Murcia has over 2,000 miles of legal trails see wikiloc for more info if you are interested.

Gary

Like 1      
18 Nov 2016 4:30 PM by wrightybfc Star rating in barnsley. 28 posts Send private message

and my interest is restirred lol 

Like 0      
19 Nov 2016 12:32 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Good luck I for one would not put anybody of ridding a bike ,but the main reason I don't have one in Spain is down to the intence heat ,as you should know you must ware a full face helmet and leather up from top to bottom otherwise you will be toasted . or you could dispense with the full face helmet and the leather's and ride around in a open face helmet and a pair of shorts like I have seen some fool's doing,looking like a dryed  prune thinking it will never happen to me .good luck I am 61 and gave up riding 10 years back basically because of idiotic blind car driver's.I will not get on one but that doesn't stop me going to bike shows and helping others fix their bike's.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 19/11/2016.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2016 1:29 PM by wrightybfc Star rating in barnsley. 28 posts Send private message

not even thought of the leathers in the heat . i would never ride without all the safety in mind. a friend of mine many years ago was in a rush to get some where from the pub and in his haste grabbed my full face helmet a few minutes later a guy came in pub and said that someone had just slid down road off a bike. we went to see and it was my friend all the front of the helmet was more or less gone but his face was hardly marked . he just said to me thank god he couldnt find his own open faced helmet and apologised for wrecking mine . he also purchased a full face new helmet for himself and me. thinking car best bet .

Like 0      
19 Nov 2016 1:30 PM by wrightybfc Star rating in barnsley. 28 posts Send private message

not even thought of the leathers in the heat . i would never ride without all the safety in mind. a friend of mine many years ago was in a rush to get some where from the pub and in his haste grabbed my full face helmet a few minutes later a guy came in pub and said that someone had just slid down road off a bike. we went to see and it was my friend all the front of the helmet was more or less gone but his face was hardly marked . he just said to me thank god he couldnt find his own open faced helmet and apologised for wrecking mine . he also purchased a full face new helmet for himself and me. thinking car best bet .

Like 0      
19 Nov 2016 10:40 PM by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I have a 1000cc bike in Spain and find the traffic is more aware of motorcycles here that a lot of places, we used to tour all round Europe for years and the place i keep coming back to is Spain,  great roads and weather , i drive a car and also cycle and feel much more vulnerable at home in the UK than here, heat can be a problem but if it's over 25c I don't bother riding anyway, to sum it up for me Spain is the top destination in Europe for riding a motorcycle,  only place that would come anywhere near it a Austria, Enjoy!

Like 0      
20 Nov 2016 12:58 PM by M1614 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Protective clothing has come on in leaps & bounds in the last few years, leather is no longer the only option, there is some great stylish protective clothing that look just like normal clothes, as for helmets as my bikes for the past 20 years have been off road based (in an effort to slow me down) a moto x helmet gives good protection and air flow around the face, a pair of sunglasses also help keep your speed down, anything over 60 makes your eyes water. Looking forward to roosting some of the dirt trails around Murcia,

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are there many people paying mortgages loan for illegal properties? - 2 posts
Tax on property owned outside Spain - 8 posts
Threads keep vanishing ? - 8 posts
Mobile phones - 4 posts
Gas Conversion - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 4 posts
Organizations/Social Groups/Clubs in Xabia/Javea for 30 year olds. - 5 posts
short changed from ATM machine - 8 posts
Christmas day Santiago De La Ribera/San Javier - 0 posts
3 bed accommodation sought - 3 posts
FIFA Bans Poppy - 8 posts
Shower screens/enclosures - 6 posts
Equestrian rental - 1 posts
Tax implications of owning two properties, one in UK, the other in Spain? - 2 posts
Property Sales Warning - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Form 210 in English, and with instrutions - 54 posts
Taking the plunge - Moving to Spain - 13 posts
New members - 13 posts
Spanish official electronic certificate - 1 posts
The dangers of the new smart meters - 8 posts
AGM VOTING PROBLEM - 9 posts
Looking for a long term rental in valencia area - 1 posts
CONSTRUCTION FINANCE IN SPAIN – WHAT DOES THE TERM LOAN TO VALUE MEAN - 2 posts
Spanish radio - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x