Should there be a second referendum?

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Dec 2018 10:43 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Covered all your bases their Mickyfinn with that post...But we still need out.

If we were to come out why would it bother us what the EU does.

When blair gets to be the leader of the EU, as he so much wants,  it will only go one way.

Like 2      
17 Dec 2018 11:08 AM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Enough of negative thoughts and lack of self belief and divisive nonsense.... we need positive thoughts and self belief with a willingness to retain open minds to move forward to the hopeful benefit of all. Not beyond the remit of man ( or woman!) in this day and age. Sadly constant negativity and inflexibility to think outside the box can all too often constrain and cloud rational judgement.

Politicians who fail to listen and learn and fail to understand how the EU Commissioners have a history of repeating a vote until they get what they want, need to comprehend the distrust and alienation that comes from such behaviour. That isn’t democracy it’s inflexible denial, so why perpetuate this behaviour in the UK?

To deny the people their decision to come out of the EU would be a complete denial and severely undermine trust and would be perceived as an unforgivable  breach of faith in the political system. If you look to the alternative economic analysis many will see that a no deal scenario could be managed if the EU remain intransigent to the end.

Have a happy Xmas ALL..... :)

This message was last edited by ads on 17/12/2018.

Like 1      
17 Dec 2018 12:01 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Show me a man who is a good loser and I'll show you a man who is playing golf with his boss.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2018 12:45 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Ads it's difficult to positive about the situation because in truth Brexit is an entirly negative process for almost everyone. Except heavy FTSE investors and fund managers.

Here is how one country, Spain will be impacted by a no deal scenario. WTO rules will completely disrupt these trade patterns and impose tariffs at currently undefinable rates. 

Spain's exports to United Kingdom amounted to $22 billion or 6.9% of its overall exports.

1. Vehicles: $6 billion

2. Machinery: $1.7 billion

3. Aircraft, spacecraft: $1.2 billion

4. Fruits, nuts: $1.1 billion

5. Electronic equipment: $1.1 billion

6. Vegetables: $1 billion

7. Plastics: $553 million

8. Pharmaceuticals: $552.8 million

9. Clothing (not knit or crochet): $548.3 million

10. Gems, precious metals: $516.7 million

UK's exports to Spain amounted to $13.2 billion or 2.97% of its overall exports.

1. Vehicles: $2.4 billion

2. Machinery: $1.6 billion

3. Pharmaceuticals: $1.2 billion

4. Electronic equipment: $827.2 million

5. Mineral fuels including oil: $796.8 million

6. Iron and steel: $537 million

7. Beverages: $466.7 million

8. Plastics: $448.9 million

9. Gems, precious metals: $444 million

10. Medical, technical equipment: $439.3 million

Like 0      
17 Dec 2018 12:49 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Perhaps exactly why the EU need to get real and agree a deal in both interests without further exacerbating division and undermining a peace process.

Like 3      
17 Dec 2018 2:44 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

But Spain is not leaving the EU and has not had a referendum as far as I know. Are you getting your countries mixed up? Or running out of things to post? The title of the thread is ‘’should there be a second referendum’’ how can you have a second if you never had a first? Please stick to the thread or start one of your own to discuss other subjects.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2018 3:22 PM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

Another referendum on what? In or out? That still dosnt  solve the current issues. Unless we vote to remain.

Thise who voted to leave, was they fully informed of what they was voting for No!

The government are trying to push a deal through, but is it fully clear of what this is? No!

i feel we need a vote on three options

1 to stay in EU

2 best deal we can get 

3 Hard Brexit

All detailed list of what we are voting for in each scenario.

A lot of people whom I have spoken to only voted out to stop ilegal immigrants coming in, how short sighted.

Like 1      
17 Dec 2018 4:09 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I do not see how you can legitimately have a second referendum with different questions because you did not like the result of the first one.

I doubt the public have any better understanding than the original pack of lies now having received 2 years of media crap and politicians self interest manipulation.

‘’All detailed list of what we are voting for in each scenario.’’ Do you mean an even bigger list of lies that no one will understand?

‘’ illegal immigrants’’ EU immigration was a white elephant, the biggest pack of lies and used to gain votes from racists.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2018 5:33 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

My take on what they mean by having a second referendum is due to the past 2 plus years so much more about what will happen if leaving the EU has come about that wasn't discussed before or even thought of, lies, false information or otherwise, a lot of MP's are even starting to now say another vote because we all now know much more.

I honestly don't believe anyone has a greater understanding now then before thanks to all the rubbish spoken, us who voted out still want out but it has to be said what IF all the rumours are correct,  what might swing the vote to stay in would be because people are sick to the back teeth of reading about it, and hearing about it all the time so they could well vote stay in because they cant take any more,  better the devil you know then the one you don't attitude.

To remember also the vote last time was very close on the leave side, it might only take another million or so fed up Joe's to take the vote back to stay in, could be many wouldn't vote which also might swing it the wrong way.

Some must be thinking this is like one of those jobs you start and after an hour or so you wish you hadn't. 

Like 1      
17 Dec 2018 7:41 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Most people I believe only read what they choose to and discard what bores them.

Believing the UK should be outside the European Union is a little like having some form of religious conviction. In the face of science and reason faith does not ebb away from the principle. So it is with Brexit. The evidence that Britain will be a far poorer country both economically, socially and politically outside the block is discarded and even simply ignored. It's a well trodden understandable process.

A second chance to affirm the process is dismissed in case there’s a risk of losing or weakening the faith. It's taken for granted the belief remains. Why then in this secular debate is it so abhorrent to ask people on such a momentous subject after 2.5 years of debate the simple question, “are you sure”? Or do you want Mrs Mays deal? Or even do you want a cliff edge no deal exit? Such questions were unavailable in 2016 the campaign. It was limited to in or out. Why does that process of asking such questions now undermine a fundamental principle of democracy?

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 17/12/2018.

Like 1      
17 Dec 2018 8:01 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Or alternatively there could well be many who consider that the EU have just reinforced their intransigence and federal aspirations which will never sit comfortably with those who consider democracy lies within, with the ability to remove when required parliamentary leaders under a far more accountable system bearing in mind their diminished voice is just one of 27.

The remainers could similarly be perceived as stubbornly refusing to re-evaluate via an alternative economic model that has already proved more realistic, and dismiss all too easily our ability to make our own way in a growing global economy whilst also trading on mutually agreed terms with our friends and neighbours.

Like 1      
17 Dec 2018 8:19 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Mickyfinn that statement is ridiculous and borders on insanity. Who has ever heard of an ‘’are you sure’’ referendum. I am an expat Spain resident and a remainder 100%, obviously for self interest. Sadly you are now making a spectacle of yourself and the thread.

Comparing BREXIT leave voters to a religious cult is beyond belief. Your arguments are now doing your cause more harm than good.

Perhaps it’s time the moderators shut this thread down before you do your cause even more damage. I actually feel sorry for you.

Like 2      
17 Dec 2018 8:35 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

The Brexit referendum in layman's term's.. You did win the lottery but some people did not like the result ...so we are taking the prize money back and going to have another draw ..the good news is that you can take part again.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2018 8:40 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I cannot understand why Tricky is intent on keeping the UK in the EU as he has not lived in the UK for 15 years. I like many others with property abroad  stand to lose when we leave. However the land of my birth and freedom means a lot more to me than any selfish interests The sooner we leave the better. There are many remainers who say they respect the result of the vote, but in reality they don't. Fortunately there is only around 20% of the country who feel the same way and are hard remainers. Bring on a 2nd referendum I say, but not with 3 choices which the remain crowd want as they know the leave vote would be split. 2 questions only, T Mayes deal or Leave with no deal.

Like 1      
18 Dec 2018 12:06 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

The result of the People’s Vote is in.

Option 1. 30%

Option 2  30%

Option 3. 30%

Dont know 10%

So that clears it all up then 😂

On Brexit, I used to be undecided, now I’m just not sure 😂

Like 1      
18 Dec 2018 8:55 AM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

If there is not a majority on any vote then we stay in simple.

But we do need a clearer Brexit deal, did you know what you was voting for in the first place? Apart from leave and the message on the red bus.

which ever way the uk government will find an excuse to screw us on yet more stealth taxes.

they are selling off most of our assets anyway, so one day there won’t be a UK

Good luck to all those now living in Spain and beyond (Enjoy) there is nothing here left in the uk worth voting for.

This message was last edited by Mrsubby on 18/12/2018.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2018 10:35 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

angeleyes - My post was about the nature of belief both religious and secular. You missed the point but no matter. Origins of belief interest me, here’s a simpler example.

I read yesterday that someone voted to leave the EU because they wanted to keep the British flat three pin plug. They believed the EU were intending to impose a European standard plug. They had read it in the tabloid press.

I kid you not.

The European project will continue to flourish after Brexit. It’s alive and well with a strong future. I am also thankful I will soon have a European passport and enjoy its advantages. Britain will struggle for a long time, especially without a European deal. I believe the UK will survive and eventuallly prosper alone but sadly not in my lifetime.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2018 10:39 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

And you believe everything you read??

Is that like the girl who voted to remain as she thought she would lose data roaming in Europe if we left?

Seriously.

Like 1      
18 Dec 2018 10:52 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Mickyfinn ..The 3 mobile phone network in the UK ...abolished international roaming charges 3 years before the EU forced the rip off companies across Europe to drop roaming charges..(.just saying.).

Like 0      
18 Dec 2018 11:09 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Mickyfinn you are free to believe whatever you want and you are entitled that other people respect your beliefs, right or wrong. Your problem is that you do not think other people are entitled to different beliefs to you and you disrespect them. There was a democratic vote in the referendum to leave the EU. You disrespect it and have thrown your toys out of the pram ever since.

I am a long term resident in Spain and it would therefore be in my interest for things to remain the same, basically for peace of mind and knowing where I stand, but I am not doing a childish tap dance like you.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Ficha Technica - 3 posts
adapted disabled vehicles - 1 posts
Can the community put things on my wall? - 42 posts
Being chased by Sabadell in the UK - 48 posts
Car hire at new murcia airport - 15 posts
Post BREXIT residency for UK nationals - 21 posts
Brexit Draft Agreemment - 2 posts
Copia Simple problems - 1 posts
Don't know what to do - 4 posts
Supreme Court rulings - ongoing concerns - 2 posts
IRPH - waiting for outcome - 3 posts
looking to start or join a rambling club at corvera probably next year - 0 posts
Bank Repossessions Again - 86 posts
Any news - 0 posts
Computer Printer - 4 posts
Seat Leon FR 2007 for sale - 2 posts
Repairs for an Ariston built in Microwave - 0 posts
what are the implications of denouncing someone? - 0 posts
Is a community pool a "Luxury" - 4 posts
Non Resident Tax - 3 posts
HID headlights - 0 posts
Foreign graduate student - UAM - 2 posts
Petition for Supreme Court decission on Mortgage Stamp Duty Tax - 6 posts
Hello everybody - 1 posts
building merchants in Huercal Overa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 402

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x