Should there be a second referendum?

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2018 11:09 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

A bit of a home goal there Micky. Have another referendum because you are a European citizen of British origin who is a remainder.

Like 3      
29 Nov 2018 12:15 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Yes and denied a vote because I have lived in Europe more than 15 years, despite being promised reforms to this rule in the Tory manifesto. I can vote in European and local elections, pay tax in UK but not able to influence UK policy which directly impacts our future. Profoundly undemocratic.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2018 4:40 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Micky I should be the last person... to be shouting OUT OUT as I own 2 Villa's in Spain and have a lot to loose ..the difference between me and you is you have chosen to leave the UK ..we did not throw you out so you now get to vote in your EU country of residence and influence politics in that country ...UK residents  only get to vote on UK politics   you don't have a clue about what we the residents of the UK have to put up with from the never ending influx of poor foreigners from the EU that have not paid a Penny into our system coming in to the UK with not as much as a pot to take a piss in demanding council house's /education/dole money/and NHS care ...the statements you made in your last post are typical of some one like yourself that has not live in the UK for many year's and not seen this for yourself....I also love your use of the words profoundly undemocratic.... What words would you use for someone that is trying to over turn a Democratic vote as I am lost for words.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 29/11/2018.

Like 7      
29 Nov 2018 6:17 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Perhaps there should be a referendum on referendums first. Multi questions. One more referendum? Best of 3? Best of 5? 1 a month except school holidays? Would that be democratic?

Should all residents be given a vote or only British nationals?

Like 2      
29 Nov 2018 6:54 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

It's the UK parliament that will decide the leaving terms and that’s no bad thing. Referendums are a very bad idea. It’s a bit like asking young children to make a Grand Marnier soufflé. They are willing to give it a go and end up making a total Horlicks of it.

Judging by the vox pops on the telly and what I read on forums only confirms my suspicions. Politics should be left entirely to politicians.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2018 8:19 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Come on Tricky whatever next, have a raffle. In the EU at the weekends and out Monday, Wednesday and Fridays?angry

Like 2      
29 Nov 2018 11:11 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

The in out EU referendum .. was fair and square do you want to stay in the EU or do you want to leave...we only had to choices and that was it ...now we have the half wits saying we did not vote for 2 sugars a a drop of milk in the tea what next from the tree huggers and the citizens Smiths..  I don't like Mondays...live with it.

Like 6      
30 Nov 2018 7:55 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

There is a report in this mornings Times that European diplomats have indicated article 50 could be suspended for 3 months to give Britain more time to hold a second referendum. If the parliamentary vote on December 10th falls this gives the UK more options to avoid a cliff edge Brexit.

There is now odds of 50/50 for a second vote suggested by some MP's to be held on 30th May 2019.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2018 9:07 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I didn't know what I was voting for at the last general election, so I demand we have another. Also I wasn't happy with the result of Man City v Man Utd, so demand that the match should be replayed.

Like 6      
30 Nov 2018 9:58 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

There is a report in this mornings Times that European diplomats have indicated article 50 could be suspended for 3 months to give Britain more time to hold a second referendum. If the parliamentary vote on December 10th falls this gives the UK more options to avoid a cliff edge Brexit.

There is now odds of 50/50 for a second vote suggested by some MP's to be held on 30th May 2019.

We cant change the way the EU works in our best interests, but they can suspend article 50 to suit, which once was started could never be revoked.

Like 1      
30 Nov 2018 10:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Maybe they could toss a coin  

Heads uk stays in, tails they leave.

Probably just as reliable as letting the great U.K. population, most of whom have no knowledge of the subject, make yet another uneducated guess 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/11/2018.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2018 11:10 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Probably just as reliable as letting the great U.K. population, most of whom have no knowledge of the subject, make yet another uneducated guess 

What like you have, knowledge of the UK that is under the EU,  after having left the UK so many years ago. Why? for a better life, cheaper living perhaps, more sunshine, € went so much further the the £, meanwhile we who stayed really do know how the EU has treated us,  please not again the 'Everyone has the same choice' routine.

Like 5      
30 Nov 2018 11:20 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

So let's say we had another vote...would it be a simple IN/OUT put your X in the box vote like before ...or would each side have to put forward the reason they wanted to stay or leave along with the benefits of doing so  backed up with hardcore proof ...this would stop all the bickering and people saying I did not vote for that... personally I think if the IN crowd win we are not going to be able to make any demands from the EU like curbing uncontrollable immigration from the EU and so forth ... as David Cameron found out the EU  they will not accept  that they are getting it wrong or  criticism in any form.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 30/11/2018.

Like 6      
30 Nov 2018 11:39 AM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Tricky doesn't care one jot about the UK, that's why he left 15 years ago, he is only interested in himself. "Referendums are a bad idea", I wonder if his opinion would be the same had remain won? Some of us have vested interests abroad, however as Windtalker has intimated, we care more about our country, not the EU. So there should not be another referendum, the first one decided it for a generation. n.b. Like the wording that Tricky and the EU aligned media use, "Cliff Edge" = Leave, "Crash Out" = Leave. Why can't they just say leave with no deal?

Like 3      
01 Dec 2018 8:32 AM by Dave11 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

The UK is screwed now - what ever happens next.... And the MP are only in it for themselves, don't think for one min they care about you or UK, as Brexit has shown then don't give a dam as long as they are all right....

Like 4      
01 Dec 2018 9:00 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

The UK minister of fisheries has admitted that 98% of the fish that they catch in British coastal waters is by EU registered boats... it is then taken by EU registered boats and is then landed at none UK port's ...to avoid paying tax on the catch to the UK government...this adds up to Billions of £££££££ every year ...if we had another referendum and the lN crowd win how are they going to stop this happening... another fact is the UK currently pay the EU 6 Billion £ a year for membership of the EU ...why is it been kept quiet by the IN crowd that the EU are going to increase the UKs membership fee by another 4 Billion making our contribution a total of 10 billion £ per year.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 01/12/2018.

Like 4      
01 Dec 2018 9:35 AM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Hi Windy 

Catching a fish. But don’t we do the same to them? Or is it the usual, can’t be bothered?

Like 0      
01 Dec 2018 9:54 AM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

When there is a General Election the result is accepted even by the losers and a new Government is installed. If that Government fails to live up to its promises then at the next election people are able to express their view and elect an alternative Government if they so desire.

The problem with the Referendum is that the result has not been implemented and yet the losers want a re-run in the hope that they would win next time. If only we could have done that after the last Labour Government was elected which resulted in the destruction of the UK economy.

The farce of the proposed Withdrawal Agreement is that it means that we do not leave but remain shackled to and controlled by the EU, continung to fund them, yet having no say in what goes on. Only people who despise democracy could have come up with that solution.

Like 5      
01 Dec 2018 10:42 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

The main problem is that everyone wants a perfect world where everything is black and white. However human beings can never agree what the perfect world is and consequently politicians abuse that disagreement to their own advantage.

Like 0      
01 Dec 2018 10:43 AM by Ten66 Star rating in 03177. 1 posts Send private message

Voting, undemocratic?

How?

If they held another general election, should I not vote, I did in the last one, didn't like the result so I would like to vote again.

I feel so undemocratic.

I do hope we get to vote again on this and many other occasions, I hope I like the result in every one I vote it but unfortunately some of you out there, and you knoe who you are, have different opinions to me.

That's tough on you if I prevail and tough on me if you do.

Democracy, not just one vote, I hope

Like 3      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Ficha Technica - 3 posts
adapted disabled vehicles - 1 posts
Can the community put things on my wall? - 42 posts
Being chased by Sabadell in the UK - 48 posts
Car hire at new murcia airport - 15 posts
Post BREXIT residency for UK nationals - 21 posts
Brexit Draft Agreemment - 2 posts
Copia Simple problems - 1 posts
Don't know what to do - 4 posts
Supreme Court rulings - ongoing concerns - 2 posts
IRPH - waiting for outcome - 3 posts
looking to start or join a rambling club at corvera probably next year - 0 posts
Bank Repossessions Again - 86 posts
Any news - 0 posts
Computer Printer - 4 posts
Seat Leon FR 2007 for sale - 2 posts
Repairs for an Ariston built in Microwave - 0 posts
what are the implications of denouncing someone? - 0 posts
Is a community pool a "Luxury" - 4 posts
Non Resident Tax - 3 posts
HID headlights - 0 posts
Foreign graduate student - UAM - 2 posts
Petition for Supreme Court decission on Mortgage Stamp Duty Tax - 6 posts
Hello everybody - 1 posts
building merchants in Huercal Overa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 402

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x