Is living in Spain really that bad now???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jan 2010 3:08 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

LOL - can we agree that we'll both have yellow heads and use red brick walls???

Like 0      
18 Jan 2010 4:25 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

......oh yes indeed

Like 0      
18 Jan 2010 4:41 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

M11block - re "justice update" that would be good.........trouble is I can't think of any positive updates on the justice front right now, other than some dubious compromises that let the developer or bank off the hook. So long as any  positive updates are realistic and explain the specific circumstance, then go for it I say.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 4:04 PM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

The real answer to all this, is why did everyone wish to purchase in Spain in the first place was it sun, sea & sangria or was it they was'nt happy with the way the UK had become?

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 7:41 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Good question, Roddy1

In our case, we certainly wanted to have a bit more sun (even today, which was a bit chilly, at least we saw blue skies and some sun), however we live over an hour from the sea and don´t drink sangria very often.  As for the UK, our decision wasn´t based on what the UK had become, it was more to do with wanting to move somewhere different, with a more relaxed lifestyle, for our retirement.

Since moving, we have had no regrets, and the only things we really miss are our families and friends, however they seem to enjoy visiting us here!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 9:16 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Roddy1, with all due respect the "real answer" isn't always a choice between "was it sun, sea & sangria or was it they was'nt happy with the way the UK had become?"

The real answer is unique to every person/family who has chosen to live there!  Take us, my family, we haven't lived in europe for many, many years, but initially chose Spain for a holiday home for various reasons, and then chose to live here, for practical reasons - had we bought a holiday home in Rome, we would probably be based there now!!!

But we did a lot of research into buying a place in europe and we chose here because it ticked all the boxes for us and, personally, I'm glad we chose here.

We didn't need sun and sand, coming from Dubai, but yearned for culture and tradition and family values - which we felt deprived of in Dubai.

So, I think this thread had said it all really!!  From people who actually live here!!

I promised I wouldn't post again on here, but, well, couldn't resist!!  I've obviously way too much time on my hands!!

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 10:02 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

this thread was a wind up from the beginning.

There was no life threatened fugitive from wicked London.

Life is bad everywhere if you have no income sufficient to pay your way, unless of course you can have "dole plus on the Costas".

Eating in the cold and rain is great compared to starving in the sun.

The rich have always had free choice.

Nothing new there.

Anyone seen the fugitive.

Regards

Norman

This message was last edited by normansands on 22/01/2010.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2010 3:18 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

"Eating in the cold and rain is great compared to starving in the sun"

You are quite right Norman and it seems many people are now finding this out.

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
23 Jan 2010 2:21 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

unfortunately on this forum there is a lot of silly talk about loving Spain.

what the posters actually mean is that they love there present or past circumstances in Spain.

how can you love a regime that lets you starve if you hit hard times, even if you are a national who has been self-employed?

clearly if things don't change, then the Spaniards will be following the ex-pats and the Poles and flooding in here.

perhaps they may even be clever enough to milk the system to the tune of £500 per week like some of the dissident Muslims who want to make war on us at our expense.

we will see.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
23 Jan 2010 8:39 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

What I love about Spain?

Apart from the obvious - the warmth and compassion of the Spanish people.  We have just returned from the "Marcha solidaria" in Jumilla.  This was a procession from Plaza Arriba to the Teatro Vico in the town centre.  Led by three drummers, Jumillanos walked along the streets carrying candles and finished at the Teatro, where more drummers joined in.  There were collection boxes outside the Teatro, where people could make donations to help Haiti.

That sums up Spain for me.  Of course I expect that people in the UK have been generous too, but please let´s stop knocking Spain for the sake of it, and particularly the local people.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Jan 2010 9:35 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 181 posts Send private message

Normansands I see you are still ranting as usual,  on the Zapatero thread did you actually send your thanks to Marta for her brave speech, and if you are so passionate in your views and opinions are you doing anything concrete to try to get justice.  Re your opinion of Spain, have a look at the documentary of the people who live in Mumbai and the conditions they have to put up with, I don't see any Spanish nationals living at rubbish dumps in shacks with rats running around their home.

Kathy

Like 0      
23 Jan 2010 10:34 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

given this level of confusion of both thread and content makes one wonder about the renovation undertaken, is it safe?

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 12:47 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

deaf ignorant ears come to mind!!  Norman's vitriolic opinions are immune to logic, reason and reality!!! 

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 2:47 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

is this proof that if you are daft enough or given the new found sexual freedom, aggressive enough, you can find injury anywhere?

come back Goodstitch and take the heat off before she bursts.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 3:13 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

...  suddenly felt a warm breeze - oh sorry, it's just norman's usual offering to the EOS forum!

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 3:33 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

I have been taking a great deal of interest in the forums and particularly so recently, with peoples comments and experiences of living in Spain. My hubby and I have a property in Spain and when the time is right, plan on moving over on a permanent basis. In the meantime, we visit as much as possible. .The people we have met have been warm, friendly and helpful to us and my mother-in-law, who moved over to Spain on a permanent basis a year ago (she is 81 years old by the way). She is having a fantastic life / time and does not regret the move at all and we think she is amazing for taking the plunge at this time in her life.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and we are taking on board the not so positive comments made by people who have unfortunately experienced the more negative side of Spain, particularly in relation to land grab, illegal buildings (due to the dodgy dealings of those in power, builders, lawyers etc), and our thoughts are with these people.

I am however frustrated by the negative views and comments made by people who it seems do not live in Spain, never have done and have never experienced the country at ALL. Why are there comments such as 'a lot of silly talk about loving Spain'??. The people that my husband and I have met in Spain love the country, the people, the lifestyle and yes, the healthier weather than the British climate. Yes, times are harder than they have been in the past, but they are positive that things will improve (economic downturns / upturns are cyclical) and they are STILL enjoying and loving Spain.

So this is a plea to fellow forum authors, lets keep the discussions nice and friendly and based on real experiences, rather than mis-perceptions and personal grudges, please.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 4:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

nothing i have read has changed my views. one person asked if i had ever lived in another foreign country-yes! singapore and germany for three years, but you can't compare that to living  the rest of your life in another country, and it takes several years to really know what it's like.

many share my views but won't admit it as they see it as some sort of failure.  fiestas,sun, family life etc are all very well, but won't pay your bills.  the happiest people seem to be those  residents who carry on with their accommodation scams,  giving addresses in uk to obtain allowances and benefits fraudulently, refuse to pay the income tax on their hefty  pensions from the uk, to the spanish tax office, never get building or small works  licences, drive around in their uk plated cars, abuse the health system in both the uk and spain as residents, by nipping back for treatment and prescriptions( didn't tell their GPs they were moving to spain, did they?) and using their english ehic card as health insurance. some of these don't think they're doing anything wrong!!!!! when all these people, who are residents with their only home in spain, stop looking at spain through their rose tinted specs( via a wine bottle, in a haze of fag smoke) they will realise that they are going to have a big problem when they are oldand/or infirm. perhaps you or and your partner might have a stroke , an accident, develop dementia! it happens-i've seen the consequences  of these things in my own neighbours.unless they have plenty of money to pay for private nursing  and attention such as cooking and cleaning in their own homes, or even move to a complex giving round the clock care, (are you a millionaire?) they will be in a mess, perhaps literally! who will help you? not the district nurse, or anyone in the spanish social system,can't, shouldn't rely on neighbours, friends- they are getting older too, need help themselves, might move away. your'e lucky if family members live with or near you but  most don't, family in the uk have thir own lives, can't drop things just like that -may have small children, their own lives to lead.  even if your health is good, do you really want to be packing up in your old age and going through the awful process of sorting everything before you move back?  what if you don't move back- are you happy leaving your children inthe uk with the hugely unenviable task of sorting your possessions, selling your house( if they can) and  dont forget the dreaded inheritance tax, it's unfair to put that burden on them. the press is full of ways to lessen it, but believe me, these methods are not for the average ex pat- forming a company? taking out  equity release? forget it!  people just don't consider these things; it's all very well just living for the day, but one day you will come down to earth with a bump. something to think about?

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 4:53 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

glory, glory, the wonderful unvarnished truth, what makes the forum worthwhile, and of course what gives people real information to make judgements on.

it even makes putting up with the sillies and their bare bottoms worthwhile.

as already stated many times, apart from the fraud, I have only enjoyed myself in Spain and retain my interest for holidays, though the exchange rate has been a blow to that interest.

the recent other real information from the forum is that the self-employed Spaniard is treated no better than the ex-pat but he has a cushion of reserves to tide him over (knowing the system and only ever declaring 25% of his turnover) but he always has the ultimate safety net of popping over here and claiming on our system, hardly equal treatment in the EU.

I hope that fully explains my only point for the mentally challenged enraged ex-pat.

Regards

Norman

sorry forgot to say thank you Camposol

This message was last edited by normansands on 24/01/2010.

This message was last edited by normansands on 24/01/2010.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 5:48 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

If you really believe the happiest expats are those scamming the system I would say you are mixing with the wrong sort.

Sorry Camposol, but I think your diatribe is a load of rubbish. You are the one with the rose tinted spectacles if you truly believe that either UK social services or the family will willingly come to ones aid when old and infirm. Even if familes wanted to help for most it is an impossibility in UK now.

As for inheritance taxes our children are far luckier than we pensioners many of whose parents didn't have two halfpennies to rub together, To inherit anything is a bonus NOT a right.

Rant over

Like 0      
24 Jan 2010 8:47 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

As someone who has been self employed in the UK for over thirty years, i would like to know what UK goverment handouts i get when i have no work??

I get no holiday pay, no company pension contributions, all i get is what i work for and what my private pension will realise!!

Seems pretty similar to me??

Does that make the UK a "bad place to live'' ?

I'm also not convinced Spain should be blamed for the exchange rate, but thats for another thread.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Certificate of habitation price question - 3 posts
Certificate of habitation question, Alicante - 4 posts
Want a short break in Benidorm - 0 posts
Fridge Repair - 3 posts
UK car in Spain - 26 posts
EU Trading Standards - 1 posts
What is the best spanish forum where I can speak in english - 0 posts
Calling an EGM - 9 posts
Claiming funds from a person who sold me a house knowing it was falling down - 6 posts
sat dish needed 1.3 mtrs - 2 posts
Personlised number plates - 4 posts
Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts
Interest Rates - 10 posts
How do I de-register my car in Spain? - 7 posts
Courier Work in Spain - 10 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 715

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x