Personlised number plates

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by shirley graham Star rating in San Cayetano. 96 posts Send private message

I am bringing my vehicle over full-time to Spain and have my own reg.no i am better to put it on retention prior to leaving the uk? i am concerend i shall loose it if i dont anyone ever done , Thanks

Like 0      
29 Oct 2009 8:48 PM by freddy Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

You will lose the cherished plate if you intend to stay in Spain..The only way you could keep it is to return home each year if the Car requires a MOT....Better to lodge it on retention. put the original number back on and then replate the car it when you get to Spain... That's the best way...unless you do the same as zillions of other Brits and just run around in a totally illegal car bearing neither tax,MOT or insurance..And once failing to renew your road tax in the UK and the car not having a SORN registration....You will lose your cherished plate anyway !!

Better to have it on retention and at least you can keep it for a few quid a year.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 4:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

when bringing a UK car to Spain with the intention of keeping it in Spain for more than 6 months you must register it under the Spanish system and you will receive new number plates after registration and paying import tax.

Going back to the UK once a a year to tax, mot etc is illegal as any foreign car in Spain for more than 6 months in ANY given 12 month period (i.e.the 6 months does not reset if you leave and come back) must be "imported" by transferring  registration and paying appopriate import tax

I think (not sure) that you can avoid import tax if you transfer the car at the same time as you move as it will be deemed as part of your assets of the move

Not sure if Spain has a system for personal number plates - maybe they do and you can transfer you personal number plate then. If not then either sell the number plate or put it on retention until you decide one way or another to stay in Spain or buy an old banger, transfer plates, decalre it SORN with DVLA and store it somewhere

i still never understand why anyone wants to bring a UK car to Spain as a RHD car, much better, easier and safer to have a Spanish car in Spain

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 7:45 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Buy an old 50cc moped, transfer the number to it, put it on SORN and stick it in the shed 'til you decide what you want to do! I believe (not sure, but it's what I'm told) that nowadays retention has to be renewed every year, at a silly fee! I used to have a personal plate and that's why I let it go with the car.

'i still never understand why anyone wants to bring a UK car to Spain as a RHD car, much better, easier and safer to have a Spanish car in Spain' - I appreciate what you say, Tadd, but my main reason for doing it was the saving in cost.

For example, 5 years ago I bought a 7 year-old car for £500 on ebay, drove it to Spain, total cost (ferry, fuel etc) about £250, spent two weeks of my retirement putting it through the system (using S/H parts as necessary) cost under 200 euros. All in all, a shade over 1,000 euros total, whereas the equivalent 'local' vehicle at the time was around 2,000+. It's current insurance valuation - their figure, not mine - is 1.500 euros. I have to confess, after being a professional driver for over 45 years, and having driven RHD lorries on the continent, a RHD car does not bother me, and neither my wife or daughter are phased by it.

Steve 

Steve.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts
Interest Rates - 10 posts
How do I de-register my car in Spain? - 7 posts
Courier Work in Spain - 10 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts
Profile - 3 posts
Are HID headlight bulb systems legal in Spain? - 22 posts
English/Spanish Wills? - 2 posts
wanted log burner or simular - 3 posts
Paying tax on a rental property - 4 posts
Health and Safety Agencies - 2 posts
Jet 2 Christmas/new year flights to Murcia - 5 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
Cannibalism - Can you HELP - 5 posts
Non Completion on Roda Contracts - 2 posts
Madrid Olympic bid 2016 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x