Is living in Spain really that bad now???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2010 4:59 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

sounds lovely.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 7:35 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We live inland in a predominantly Spanish area, and everybody says "hola" to us, even when we don´t have our dog with us.  In fact just over a week ago some neighbours stopped us to ask where our dog was: we explained that we had left her at home as we had been to our Spanish class and she already speaks Spanish.  They enjoyed the joke.

Today it was very warm here, though cloudy, and we didn´t need to wear jackets when out walking.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 9:04 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

Is the weather really that bad in Spain now??????

I try not to reply directly but Normansands you are an absolute master

You start banging on about the weather, relentlessly you continue rain here some sun here. Then there is talk of clothing removal, spring flowers more sunshine and were hooked!!

We now are cloned devotees of Bexley Heath's septuagenarian Micheal Fish

You have us in your power reporting weather, good or bad, from all over the UK and Iberian peninsular 

Just remember it could just be "hot flushes'' causing the heat

Best to you Norman you truly are a man of Kent or are you a Kenttish man??

Like 0      
19 Mar 2010 9:16 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

It was beautiful today in Manilva!  Light shirt, jeans and flip-flops - wonderful sunny day!  Did see a few blobs of rain attempting to ruin it for us first thing this morning, but didn't succeed - although it may be indicative of what has been forecast for the weekend, some light showers.  Please noooo!!  Enough already!

Like 0      
21 Mar 2010 4:43 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear David W,

what a little charmer you are????????????

Norman

Like 0      
21 Mar 2010 4:46 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

are we back to normal, the difference may not be that great, but full sun is better than hazy sun and cloud, even if temperatures are up and pullovers can be left off. Even the long-johns are a distant memory.

Regards

Norman 

Like 0      
21 Mar 2010 5:30 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

normansands

if was warm enough to do one of my long distance runs in just a T-Shirt this morning starting at 8am. Not very normal for England in March??, not complaining though!

Like 0      
21 Mar 2010 5:52 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Been raining steadily since yesterday afternoon and the cloud so low in Lorca that visibilty is barely a mile in every direction. Not cold though but not 't' shirt and shorts weather. Certainly NOT complaining because I have saved a fortune on watering the garden.  Pero ahora estoy muy aburrido.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2010 8:42 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Is living in Spain really that bad now

If you haven't got any money worries its no different to as its always been,maybe a bit quieter than a few years ago, and of course living here we don't like to see businesses closing, but things seem to muddle along as normal. People coming and going, people who moved to 'the dream' a couple of years ago now hating it for what ever reason and new people arriving wanting to live 'the dream'.

Unfortunately it seems that a good percentage of the new people are running away from problems, a move to Spain won't help solve them!

We love it still, and wouldn't go back, that may change who knows. It would appear that grand children are on there way in the uk, this will be difficult!.

S

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 9:50 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Team GB

looking in from the outside, it sounds like those still happy with their lot in Spain are those who would have been happy before the boom/bust years, and are prepared to accept the good/bad aspects of living in Spain, as change regarding corruption/justice and other problems still seems very slow if happening at all in many cases?. Perhaps the current situation of business closing and people leaving is just part of the reversal process to pre-boom days?. Still obviously very wrong and a great shame for those who have lost everything through no fault of their own, and for all the ruined and overbuilt areas that are left. The dream for many, was just that though, and reality has certainly kicked in!

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 10:17 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

There are a huge number of people (ex-pats) now wanting to return to the UK, many of those from Spain. I don't think they will find it very rosy here either!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1258442/Four-million-expats-want-come-home.html

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 10:21 AM by tiffanyw Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

tiffanyw´s avatar
** EDITED - Spam **

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 11:41 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

All these articles only emphasise the bad news they wish to point out. If you bought recently @ near parity with the pound ,then yes you have a problem. Many who wish to return, are wanting too because of a 30% drop in income from pensions, investments, etc. I made the decision when we came here that we live in Spain therefore that's where our money is. I appreciate that pension income is dependent on the exc. rate fluctuations, but surely anyone would take into account , the fact that it can go down as well as up, before moving.

They bought in Euros and so they sell in Euros and make profit greater then the 8%.
  I know a bloke , bought for 260k spent another 100k all at 1,5 = 1 pound, selling now for 285k.That's a profit of over 40k @ todays exc. rate. Completes this thurs. Yes, selling & finding a buyer is difficult at the moment & can take a long time, but at least if you can find one you can get out without making a loss.

Floella, yes the rain was depressing yesterday but fortunately today the sun is out & hopefully it will stay now & improve.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 11:50 AM by praguepix Star rating in Marbella Villa. 101 posts Send private message

I agree with Team GB and Gus Lopez.  Relocating to any country without adequate reserves to cushion any adverse economic effects is sheer stupidity, to my mind.  Did people really think that Spain would be immune from the normal cycles of economic activity?

Like a lot of other immigrants, we have experienced a drop in the value of our sterling income and the double whammy of low returns on UK investment income. When we did our intial calculations before we lefdt the UK in 2005 we allowed for that kind of contingency and adjusted our plans accordingly.

I can't help agreeing that many people who came here from the UK brought their problems with them. I'd go so far as to say that some were born losers. Spain is better off without them.

As for injustice, corruption and so on, yes, it exists here as it does in many countries and an unfortunate few have suffered. But it should not be forgotten that an overwhelming majority of people have made new and enjoyable lives here without experiencing anything to cause the slightest dent in their enjoyment. They are not the 'lucky' ones, they are the majority.

Sun shining, roof down on the cabrio, off shopping then lunch al fresco.Viva Espana indeed!

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 12:05 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Tish

I doubt many want to return, rather have no option?. Like you say, things certainly arn't rosy here, but I think there's still more common sense on some important issues, and help when the chips are down.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 12:22 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Praguepix you said “and an unfortunate few have suffered.”

On what statistical evidence do you base that observation? Do you honestly think that the EU would have passed this report if the numbers were as “few” as you suggest?

Suggest you read this

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?language=EN&type=IM-PRESS&reference=20090325IPR52626

and this

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=REPORT&reference=A6-2009-0082&language=EN

which quotes the following  The Petitions Committee did not embark lightly on its course of action which has seen it conduct three fact-finding visits to Spain in the course of this legislature. 

and continues

Yet, today, thousands of European citizens continue to be victims of a system of massive urbanisation that has, in the view of the Petitions Committee, in many instances ridden roughshod over their legitimate rights as property owners and which has at the same time destroyed the fragile eco-systems and Mediterranean coastal environment in many parts of the Spanish coast-line and hinterland. 

The Spanish authorities, in the regions in particular, remain in denial; while the victims are counted in thousands. At best, in many instances, their behaviour has been complacent with regard to individual property rights; at worst they have been downright dismissive.”

Agreed however that relocation requires adequate provision of reserves to cushion adverse economic effects.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 12:44 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

ads

the plight of thousands of people wronged by the Spanish authorities should indeed not be underestimated, or worse still not even accepted?

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 12:54 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Praguepix wrote:

Like a lot of other immigrants, we have experienced a drop in the value of our sterling income and the double whammy of low returns on UK investment income. When we did our intial calculations before we lefdt the UK in 2005 we allowed for that kind of contingency and adjusted our plans accordingly

I find it hard to believe that you or anyone could have possibly forseen the world banking crisis coming, let alone make allowances for it on the scale it has affected the exchange rates.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 1:07 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

Having just read the European Parliment statement i'm not sure it relates directly/specificly to the "corruption'' in Spain

It talks about the buiding and over development of the Costas in general and the water problems excessive building creates.

I accept that there is mention of local councils excessive powers and some zealous marketing but it is not specificly about corruption it is about all new urbanisation plans and the effect on the environment.

i am sure that excessive development has led to areas of corruption, and justice seems a long process.

But as the previous poster said he felt it was a small percentage

Is it ? What are the figures?

Like 0      
22 Mar 2010 1:27 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

no, it's the other way round sadly, excessive corruption, led to areas of over development, and as for justice??, if only it  just ''seemed a long process''!!!!.  It not only is virtually always a  long proccess, but is often not resolved in favour of the right party, and even when it is, huge court delays, mean winning your case is often useless!

To be fair you have to experience it first hand to know just how bad it is in Spain, but there is enough info' about it now for those who choose to 'see' it.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Certificate of habitation price question - 3 posts
Certificate of habitation question, Alicante - 4 posts
Want a short break in Benidorm - 0 posts
Fridge Repair - 3 posts
UK car in Spain - 26 posts
EU Trading Standards - 1 posts
What is the best spanish forum where I can speak in english - 0 posts
Calling an EGM - 9 posts
Claiming funds from a person who sold me a house knowing it was falling down - 6 posts
sat dish needed 1.3 mtrs - 2 posts
Personlised number plates - 4 posts
Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts
Interest Rates - 10 posts
How do I de-register my car in Spain? - 7 posts
Courier Work in Spain - 10 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 715

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x