Brexit effect

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Mar 2019 10:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

An interesting fact, amongst others, or not as the case maybe.  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation … march-2019

While the UK is a member of the EU, UK driving licences are directly exchangeable for EU and EEA country licences. From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, this licence exchange arrangement will stop. Instead you will need to re-take your driving test in the EU country where you live to be able to carry on driving there

This message was last edited by johnzx on 08/03/2019.

Like 2      
09 Mar 2019 12:23 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

and if you're not a resident or citizen you'll need one of those international driving licences you used to get from the AA although god knows where you get them now

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 1:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

John.  

I just looked online. International Driving Permit are obtainable from them post office

However I did see that unless one lives in U.K. one cannot get an IDP to go with their U.K. D/L

Of course an IDP is not a licence but a translation of one’s national driving licence so must be carried with one’s national licence.  It does not replace one’s licence 

Like 1      
09 Mar 2019 1:04 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I think I would ask the DVLA .

Like 0      
09 Mar 2019 1:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Like 0      
10 Mar 2019 1:59 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

John, perhaps all these threatened awkward rules and regulations brought about by the UK decision to leave the EU maybe a disincentive for British tourism and investment into Spain.   

Maybe it will be a boost to Butlins and static holiday caravan sales in Skegness.

Like 3      
11 Mar 2019 10:32 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The Brexit effect is turning back the clock. I remember first coming by car to Spain in the early eighties before it was an EU state. I needed an IDP and an insurance bail bond to avoid having my car impounded if I had an accident which is what used to happen. The roads were terrible, very few motorways and getting anywhere took hours. Since Spain became an EU member the countries roads have been transformed.

If you produce an IDP to any modern Spanish copper they are going to think you made it for a Blue Peter project.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2019 3:29 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Yes you are right. When I first came to Spain in the 70's, most people were using mopeds to get around. Spain has been transformed. But, where did the money come from? A lot of it from the UK whilst our infrastructure is crumbling. That is part of the reason that I and 17.4 million others voted to leave, we want our money spent on our country.
This message was last edited by Jarvi on 11/03/2019.

Like 4      
11 Mar 2019 4:26 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The roads were appalling in that era.  In 1987 I drove from Santander to Puerto Banus, CDS - it took 20 hours, taking only one half hour break.    Until you got to Burgos it was like a country lane, lots of single track road and no hope of overtaking.  The kids were not impressed, the wife said "never again" and has stuck to it ever since.

It's great to think that we've all helped to change that through the EU and our taxes.

Like 1      
11 Mar 2019 5:23 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

A UK driving licence is considered an international licence worldwide.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2019 5:25 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Yes acer UK residents enjoy the benefit if their EU contributions. Thats how it's supposed to work its called sharing for mutual advantage. Spain could never have improved their country to the extent it has without EU membership funding.

Like 1      
11 Mar 2019 5:38 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

angeleyes1

A UK driving licence is considered an international licence worldwide.

You just made that up, didn't you? A quick Google shows that 63 countries require an IDP with a UK licence including Australia, New Zealand and India and a further 12 countries require an IDP for non-EU citizens (so OK in those for the moment).

There are also 140 countries (including the 63 above) which require and IDP if you are hiring a car.

Like 3      
11 Mar 2019 6:10 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

I have not made anything up. As Mickyfinn says most countries would not know the difference between a IDP and a Blue Peter egg box project. In reality you will get car hire and valid insurance that goes with the hire with your UK worldwide international driving licence everywhere. They are just too greedy to refuse and pie crust rules are irrelevant.

As we have all agreed an IDP is only a translation of your legal licence. Not sure of the purpose of translating a UK licence from English to English for Australia and New Zealand.

This message was last edited by angeleyes1 on 12/03/2019.

Like 3      
12 Mar 2019 4:33 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I only needed my UK licence to hire a car in NZ.

What are all these non EU plates doing around if the Guardia don't recognise an IDP?

This message was last edited by tteedd on 12/03/2019.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2019 4:41 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

'Yes acer UK residents enjoy the benefit if their EU contributions.'

You mean Spain used to enjoy the benefits of UK contributions but now the new eastern members do?

For many years the balance out from the UK was about the same as the balance in to Spain. Leading to the classic Clarkson quip at at the toll booth that he did not have to pay the toll since he had already paid for the road.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 12/03/2019.

Like 3      
12 Mar 2019 6:26 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Thanks for that, it made me smile.  No guesses needed as to which way Clarkson voted on Brexit - I miss the guy's output on TV, I think he feels he has to behave a bit these days.  Pity.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2019 8:41 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Actually, Clarkson is a remainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz179E7rhA

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 13/03/2019.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2019 10:01 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Yes. For all his amusing banter he is still a member of the 'ignor the plebs' Chipping Norton set.

I think we were all sick of that video two years ago.

Do you think he was paid well?

Like 0      
15 Mar 2019 8:08 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Presumably you are really asking "was he overpaid?"  which is of course a matter of opinion. 

He had a massive following and was amusing, but his programme had become a bit predictable.  But relative to other BBC "stars" in my mind he was good value.

But I reckon we're a bit off thread.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2019 10:56 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I think I meant, was he paid at all or did he do it for the money at a time he had just been sacked and was a bit short on his presumably massive commitments?

If he was a true believer in remaining, he should have done it for nothing. As indicated by Acer you might expect him to be as anti the EU bureaucracy as he is all others.

A 'Brexit Effect' in general seems to highlight that there are a lot of people with scant regard for democracy.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Exchange Spanish LHD car for UK rhd car - 7 posts
Firefly/Do You Spain extra charge for 75+ drivers - 10 posts
Suitability of Location for Air Con Units - 3 posts
Spain post Brexit for British residents. - 68 posts
Buying a rural property in the Malaga region - 22 posts
Campo delivery of water - 5 posts
Funds seized by La Caixa for alleged tax avoidance...next steps? - 3 posts
Are the days of Freeloaders limited in Spain? - 44 posts
Reassurance needed - 21 posts
Comfort in numbers. - 19 posts
Car Hire & Excess Insurance - 9 posts
Open gate for Ocean View/ Palmera buyers - 0 posts
Residencia Certificate encripted with Permanent Residence - 7 posts
Which Costa del Sol school? - 0 posts
Flight prices to Corvera - 3 posts
For sale yamaha RGXAZ electric guitar - 0 posts
property rental - 7 posts
Hello, a couple of retired brits. - 2 posts
Interest delays vs Brexit - 9 posts
Social Security Contributions - 3 posts
recent amendments to horizontal act regarding disabled and elderly - 3 posts
THINKING OF MOVING TO SPAIN, AT LONG LAST - 15 posts
Medical insurance cover in Spain - 8 posts
Pilates in Mojacar or near - 0 posts
Direct Debit for paying Spanish Income Tax to agencia tributaria - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 103

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x