Interest delays vs Brexit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Feb 2019 10:37 AM by joandjez Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Hi

Does anyone happen to know if the banks are delaying interest payments until after Brexit? Court stuff was all done and dusted in April 2018 and still waiting for payment of my interest awarded.  Been told by solicitor that the payment would take 6-12 months, then 9-12 months. Just getting a tad nervous that for whatever reason that payment timescale might slip until after Brexit and then what?  Would it have any implications?

Thoughts welcome.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2019 12:38 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Everything Brexit related is entirely possible at the moment. Unless there is a political settlement soon everything so far agreed falls down. I have taken contingency solutions for financial services. I suggest you try and do likewise. It’s entirely possible the banking transfer system from the UK will be blocked in the Eurozone in the event of a UK cliff edge exit.

I did receive a letter from my UK based EU bank this week telling me they have reached agreements with the ECB for future financial transaction which will continue as normal EVEN in a no deal scenario. So there is hope. 

Spanish banks are notoriously slow but usually deliver in the end if the law forces the issue. I shouldn’t worry.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2019 2:43 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

BREXIT is likely to be the most used false excuse for everything for many years to come. Normal life does exist outside the EU. You can carry out money transfers worldwide. Don’t be conned by Del Boy spiel.

Like 4      
10 Feb 2019 4:17 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The EU has a banking system named SEPA. It's aim is to improve the efficiency of cross-border payments and turn the fragmented national markets for euro payments into a single domestic one. SEPA  enables customers to make cashless euro payments to any account located anywhere in the area, using a single bank accountt and a single set of payment instruments without charge.

People who have a bank account in a Eurozone country, are able to use it to receive salaries and make payments all over the eurozone, for example when they take a job in a new country. I use SEPA all the time and it's brilliant transfers are credited the same day.

The UK currently because of it's EU  membership has passporting rights to access SEPA. Post Brexit those rights cease unless there is a deal.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2019 3:27 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Will currency exchange companies such as Moneycorp be affected by this and if so how?

Like 0      
11 Feb 2019 4:42 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Don't worry about all the project fear parts eighty thousand and ten. This is taken from a well known currency exchange company. I have removed the name in accordance with forum rules re advertising - "You can keep using ********, including your borderless account, regardless of the Brexit outcome. Any money already in your balances will be safe and accessible. We’ve already taken the steps needed to keep ******** running when the UK leaves the EUーno matter the outcome of negotiations. Soon, we’ll have an additional licence in Belgium, too. So regardless of the outcome of Brexit, you’ll be able access your borderless account, send, spend, and receive money". All the other currencies exchanges will have done something to avert any problems.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2019 5:26 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The actual reality will be that Britain will not be participating after Brexit in SEPA. Of course money transfers will continue but if you recall before SEPA and passporting rights money transfer to Europe was an expensive slower business. I expect it will cost more for Brits either by a lower rate exchange offered or visible fees upfront.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2019 6:06 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

No it won't. Leave project fear to the media...

Like 1      
11 Feb 2019 10:55 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Just a  little snippet from the Treasury on SEPA after Brexit:

. As the geographical scope of SEPA already extends beyond the EU and EEA, including several third countries and territories, the option remains that the UK continues in the scope of the SEPA schemes, provided it fulfils the eligibility criteria.  

Much as I think Brexit is a stupid idea and the UK will suffer a large economic earthquake, the Project Fear reports are getting a bit silly. 

Like 1      
12 Feb 2019 8:07 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I did write in my post reply that the UK would exit SEPA in the event of a no deal exit. Most of the dire economic predictions relate to leaving without a deal. By any common sense standard that will be hugely damaging for the UK and the EU 27 countries to a lesser extent.

I don't believe the UK parliament will allow that to happen but unless something positive takes place soon the default process is just that.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Social Security Contributions - 3 posts
recent amendments to horizontal act regarding disabled and elderly - 3 posts
THINKING OF MOVING TO SPAIN, AT LONG LAST - 15 posts
Medical insurance cover in Spain - 8 posts
Pilates in Mojacar or near - 0 posts
Direct Debit for paying Spanish Income Tax to agencia tributaria - 4 posts
Garden and pool Maintenance cost - 4 posts
Bought nearly 3 years ago - still lots to learn! - 7 posts
Liberty Seguros problems - 9 posts
S1 healthcare for pensioners - default position. - 16 posts
mcik - 9 posts
RENTAL PROPERTY? - 2 posts
Record car hire - 8 posts
Cheapest way to sell? - 4 posts
Corvera airport - 32 posts
Retrieving stolen property - 0 posts
Door to Door Salesman - 7 posts
BOGUS POLICEMEN? - 4 posts
Maria can you please comment..... - 0 posts
For Sale - 3 posts
Spanish government launches website to warn about effects of Brexit - 14 posts
long term parking options near Barcelona airport - 0 posts
Freelancing in Spain vs Portugal - 1 posts
Taxi to condado - 10 posts
Best Guitar for Kids? - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x