Donald Trump immigration ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Feb 2017 10:30 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

"No matter what you think of President Trump the amount of hatred and violence from the left or just folk that do not like him has been well over board, the amount of tweets calling for his assasination is sickly i wasnt that keen on him but it was like bullying and i hate bullys so i started to defend him"

Violence from the left?  Where, the handful of 'black bloc' protesters in Berkeley that caused problems while thousands of peaceful protesters did nothing wrong?  And who is calling for violence against Trump?  Even if they did, there is no way it compares to the quantitiy and disgusting quality of the vile posts/tweets/messages that the lunatic right-wingers wrote about Obama during the last 8 years 

Most on the left are dismayed with Trump and what he is trying to do, but joyful with glee because he is doing what they've wanted for years:  Destroying the Republican Party.   If anyone is going really cause harm to Trump, it will be a Republian who wants to preserve the party. 

Like 1      
09 Feb 2017 10:49 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

OK . As mentioned on the Brexit thread, please avoid inciteful posts and discuss the topic at hand with respect. DO NOT attack other members and please avoid pointless aggravating posts. If you don't have anything contructive to post please don't post it. Keep it civil and please calm down.

Thank you

Like 2      
11 Feb 2017 10:29 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Mr Donald was democratically elected. A lot of his support came from the anti establishment which does seem to be a worldwide trend at the moment. At least give him a chance and judge him again democratically in 4 years time.

Like 2      
11 Feb 2017 10:52 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Potblack, you wave the democracy card, but democracy is not about gagging people for 4 years.  Part of the democratic process is the ability to react immediately to bigotry and racism.  

Why wait?  He's not likely to mellow with age and experience.  If enough people keep up the protests and let him know his policies are unacceptable Trump may eventually get the message.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 11:08 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

I do not believe Donald kept his style a big secret during the election campaign. They got exactly what they voted for. He is only doing what he said he would do.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 11:41 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Although he won the election, the majority of voters supported Clinton, so in effect he is a minority President.  

Of more significance is that as President he very much still has to work within the constitution and alongside the Legislative and Judicial branches of government.  

He's not yet persuaded these people to accept him as Supreme Leader just yet (thank God!).

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 12:08 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Oh acer you now have me so confused. He won the election, but really he did not, Clinton won it and Donald is a fake.

And even if he did win it, he has not won it, the American people still have to decide who is actually President. Is that decided on a daily basis by protesters with placards?.

Like 1      
11 Feb 2017 3:09 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Think this sums it up for me, how about you ?

Where were the protests when Obama attacked Libya, the war that caused the refugee crisis?
You all supported it.
Where were the protests when Obama & Hillary armed jihadists in Syria, a civil war that exacerbated the refugee crisis?
You said nothing.
Where were the protests when Obama banned Iraqi refugees for TWICE the amount of time Trump did?
You didn't even know about it.
You did and said nothing when Obama dropped 100,000 bombs on Muslim countries.
Isn't it amazing how you only protest when there's an opportunity to jump on a band waggon and protest against a Conservative/right wing Government

Like 3      
11 Feb 2017 3:41 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Obama and the Democrats are both right wing and consevative. They just didn't shout it from the rooftops

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 3:49 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Although he won the election, the majority of voters supported Clinton,

More voters voted Clinton? Strikes me that people on both side may have been holding their nose as they placed their vote.

The US voters voted under the system that has been in place for a long time. We are told it is designed so that large states cannot 'override' small states.

We must accept this. It is not for us in the UK to say it is wrong. As a democracy I'm sure that prospective congressmen and senators can stand on a ticket to change it if they wish.

In order to pass a negative judgement on it (if we had any right) we would have to be able to prove that voters would have voted the same way under a straight majority system.

I also think their primary system is strange where anyone can register and vote for the candidate of a party. Again we have no say but there would have been two different candidates under a 'better' system.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 5:14 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

For the record:

There were protests against Obama by those on the left.  They certainly were not as large as they are now and they got almost no coverage in the media.  Regardless, Obama never fomented hatred to win an election.  Trump did and among his frist acts was the 'immigration ban' that, because of his statements on during the campaign, has been rejected by the courts, even by judges who were appointed by Republicans. 

I voted for Obama, and, while he did do some great things, his Middle East policy was horrible, as was his allowing the continuation of Bush-era surveillance of US citizens. 

As I wrote before, I accept that Trump won the election under our rules here.  But he lost the majory vote by 2.9 million votes, something that has only happened a few times in US history.  I provide that fact not to question that Trump is our president, but to reflect that it is no surprise that, thankfully, he faces so much opposition.  He could have diffused the opposition by extending an olive branch but instead he chooses to demean in the most vile and childish way those who don't agree with him.

And for the record, I did give Trump a chance.  I listened to his inagural speech with an open mind.  I had hoped that he reach out to all Americans, etc, but no, we got more of a campaign speech combined with his out-of-control ego. 

Decent people will continue to protest the man and his policies. 

And when discussing illegal, undocumented workers in the US, I'm reminded that Anne Frank too was "illegal."   Interesting to note that Trump's CEO friends who preside over businesses that are well known for hiring undocumented workers, and paying ridiculously low wages to further company profits, are never the target of efforts to rid the country of "illegals."  Putting one or two of these executives in jail for 20 years for breaking the law would certainly end the practice of employing "illegals" and when those jobs go away, so will those who seek them. 

But no, we will get a costly and ineffective wall that a later president will tear down.  Hatred and stupidity must always be resisted. 

Like 3      
11 Feb 2017 6:51 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Some deep waters there Gary.

Not sure we want to get mixed up in it except to note that 'decent people' can find themselves either defending the indefensible or siding with intemperates.

The man is over the top but so has much of the reaction to him been over the top.

I recon the US system will survive the shock and the results will not all be bad.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2017 9:48 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Oh acer you now have me so confused. He won the election, but really he did not, Clinton won it and Donald is a fake.

And even if he did win it, he has not won it, the American people still have to decide who is actually President. Is that decided on a daily basis by protesters with placards?.

Potblack, you might wish to check your facts:

1) Trump polled less votes than Clinton

2) Neither Trump, nor any other President, has the power to override the American constitution without the consent of others. 

I must admit that I've never been a big fan of placard waving protesters myself.  But perhaps I was wrong as this form of protest is a whole lot better than violence and seems to working.

Like 1      
11 Feb 2017 10:07 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Error

This message was last edited by Elsietanner on 11/02/2017.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2017 1:32 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Trump has basically given every radical on the planet a reason to unite and attack!  He's the most incompetent, racist, sexist, scheming, disfunctional POTUS ever!!  He was not the popular vote and it says alot about the USA electoral system that an arrogant k**bh**d like that a**eh*le is sitting in the Whitehouse!  Let's just pray that he gets impeached sometime soon - because there must be many reasons for it to happen, despite the "the President is immune to the conflict of interests' law!!!  What a load of bullcrap that is!!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 12/02/2017.

Like 2      
12 Feb 2017 11:01 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

I must admit that I've never been a big fan of placard waving protesters myself.  But perhaps I was wrong as this form of protest is a whole lot better than violence and seems to working.

Except that we have pictures of them smashing windows on shops and offices on our television.

Like 2      
12 Feb 2017 11:19 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Except that we have pictures of them smashing windows on shops and offices on our television.

It is often said what happens in USA often happens tommorrow in UK

Watch this space as the brexit negotiaitions start

Like 0      
12 Feb 2017 12:39 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

When do these placard waving protesters have time to go to work?.

Like 1      
12 Feb 2017 4:39 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

When do these placard waving protesters have time to go to work?. When do these placard waving protesters have time to go to work?.

Since the biggest demonstrations have been scheduled on Saturdays, maybe the protesters have time because they work Monday through Friday.

Out of hundreds of thousands of protesters nationwide, a handful of anarchists caused problems.  That they targeted banks and national retail chains and didn't cause any damage to small businesses is an indication that they are a group with specific objectives in mind, and they are not at all related to the protests. 

This message was last edited by GarySFBCN on 12/02/2017.

Like 1      
12 Feb 2017 6:27 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

a handful of anarchists caused problems

They did show us some anachists having a go at a coffee shop I think. But they also showed us cars and waste bins on fire, cars being being looted, people hurling rocks and spitting at the police as well as the attacks on shops and offices. Did not look like a handful of anachists and it was in several different places.

The lunacy is spreading. We even get people in the UK demonstrating, although not damaging buildings as far as I know. What do they expect to acheive?

A woman I know (I thought her to be level headed if a little left wing) is all for this. When I questioned her she seems to think that Trump is somewhere to the right of Hitler and the left of Stalin and that it will be the end of democracy in the US if 'we' do not 'do something'. She is hell bent on on stopping Trump's visit to the queen. She seems to think that insulting our major ally is OK even if it means loss of trade and jobs. Still, she has a nice public sector job and probably thinks she is safe.

I would suggest to all these people that the proper way to protest in a democracy is the wise use of your vote. Even 'peaceful' protestors seem to think that their opinion is worth more than other citizens and I have long thought that they should pick up the tab for their actions. Not the humble law abiding tax payer.

If people want to protest about things happening in other countries they should go there and do it. Not cause damage (of any sort) and police expenditure in their own.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 160

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x