Donald Trump immigration ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2017 1:15 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

We can only guess, but my concern is that that the ingredients are all in place to allow this situation to get drastically worse.  It really just depends on how Trump behaves, or doesn't.  But also there are others, like Putin, who would delight in a US civil conflict and no doubt would love to add fuel to the flames if he could.

Yes, thankfully it's still highly unlikely, but cause for considerable concern.  IMHO the worst factor is it seems to depend on what Trump does next and the guy seems incredibly insensitive.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2017 2:34 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Tuesday 14 February 2017 by Alex R

Vladimir Putin appointed as Donald Trump’s National Security Advisor

President Trump has once again defied both convention and logic by appointing Russian President Vladimir Putin as his new National Security Advisor following the resignation of Michael Flynn.

Mr Flynn resigned following accusations that he was too close to the Russian administration and could be susceptible to Russian blackmail, however ‘blackmail by Russia’ is considered less of a risk when employing Russia itself.

It is thought that the nomination of the ex-KGB head is a bid to clarify the situation going forward by substantiating the rumours of Russian influence White House.

The Russian president welcomed his appointment in characteristic style issuing a brief statement, shirtless from the back of a horse.

“It will be an honour for Mr Trump to serve at the will of the President,” he said.

When asked by reporters if he meant “it would be an honour to serve Mr Trump?”, Mr Putin replied “you heard me” and galloped off into the sunset.

(well made me laugh)

Like 0      
15 Feb 2017 5:42 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I wouldn't make fun of this situation - having a madman for a leader in Russia and an accomplice in the US, this can't be good for Europe.  And Putin isn't wasting any time  - from the New York Times: 

"Russia Deploys Missile, Violating Treaty and Challenging Trump"

This message was last edited by GarySFBCN on 15/02/2017.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2017 6:39 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Gary,

Apologies, I did not wish to offend and I appreciate that it is easier for Brits to be more whimsical than US citizens.  The whole situation is verging on the incredible.  Personally I thought that Trump would mellow and see sense when he took office, but how wrong one can be.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2017 7:46 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

acer, I have skin thicker and more dense than my head, so no apology needed. But thank you. 

I do appreciate humor.  Thanks again. 

Like 0      
15 Feb 2017 9:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

In a previous lifetime, I made friends with a Sgt (E6) in ASA which is was the US Army NSA branch back in the 70s. A more right wing guy you couldn't meet but even he has been telling me (by email from Nebraska) how up in arms he is about the things Trump is doing. The de-regulation of the finance services is his main point but the sucking up to Putin and casting doubt on NATO is way up there.

Sounds like fun and games in the old US of A at the moment. 

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 10:08 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

What is it that Donald has done or is attempting to do that was not a pledge and public knowledge in his election campaign?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 11:18 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Nothing as far as I can see Elsie.

But you can't say things like that, you will be labled as a big bad Trump supporter even if you think he is odd and a poor choice for President.

There is no balance in this argument. His predecessor has allowed Iran to have nuclear weapons (on all our behalves). This is a far more dangerous move than wanting to talk to other world leaders or wanting to ban potential terrorists (whether you believe he is banning the right people or not). Iran's policy is the destruction of Israel and Sunni Islam (let alone 'infidels').

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 11:25 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

But it was the US citizens choice, doesn’t their vote deserve any respect?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 3:35 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

" What is it that Donald has done or is attempting to do that was not a pledge and public knowledge in his election campaign? "

1.  He campaigned on creating laws and policies for 'the working man.'  So far, his actions have been allow coroporations to screw working people in getting mortgages, banking fees and by those who handle their brokerage accounts.  

2.  He campaigned upon 'draining the swamp,' the swamp being the entire corrupt establishment, including the influence of lobbyists, political rewards for campaign donors, etc.  But his cabinet and nominees are all billionaire corportists with extensive histories of lobbying and their appointments are all based upon rewarding his big donors, something that isn't uisually done for cabinent posts (big donors are usually appointed ambasadors).  Back to working people, Trump's Labor Secretary nominee just had to withdraw because he supports replacing employees with robots, he hired illegals to work for him, is aginst any minimum wage and claims that his employees are "the worst of the worst."

"But it was the US citizens choice, doesn’t their vote deserve any respect?"

Don't get me started.  From the moment Obama was elected, he was subjected to the most vile, racist attacks from the right and the Republicans fought him on everything.  The Republicans established the new language and tactics of dissent and now that those on the left have adopted those, suddenly it is a problem and disrespectful.  Regardless of the vote, regardless of who is president, I don't expect citizens of any democracy to just bend over and take it when they disagree with their leaders.  We aren't talking about violent overthrow of Trump.  We are talking about justified protests and political pressure against his vile polices and political appointments.  If he can't take the heat, he needs to get out of the kitchen.

Like 1      
16 Feb 2017 4:04 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

** EDITED **

‘’Regardless of the vote.’’ No it is not regardless of the democratic vote that supported Donald and chose him to be their President.

‘’So far’’ Donald has not been in office a month and has only attempted to implement his pledges that were voted for by the US electorate.

‘’justified protests’’. They had their protests in the pre election period, it’s now over, Donald won.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/17/2017 8:02:00 PM.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 4:48 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

" They had their protests in the pre election period, it’s now over, Donald won. "

It isn't over now.  It is just beginning.  Trump has already broken his pledges to the electorate.  Like the Brexit vote, there are many who voted out of desperation in hopes that things would change FOR THE BETTER.  So far, I see nothing better in either country, and the trajectory looks grim.  I believe that you all have a better chance at success because, while there are ideological differences, there aren't nearly as many blithering idiots among your elected officials as we have here in the US. 

You seem to be ignorant about our rights to protest.  The approach and laws regarding 'freedom of speech' in the US is not same as in the UK and I refer you to US history and the Boston Tea Party is something that we are all educated about in elementary school as a patriotic act.  And yet, it can be seen as a protest with both violence and vandalism because that is exactly what it was.  Right now, protest is patriotism. 

Like 3      
16 Feb 2017 8:08 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

** EDITED ** Each US citizen has the right to vote and there is nothing on the ballot paper that requests them to justify why they are voting. The US is a democratic society, one person one vote. The ballot paper had Donald and Hillary on it among others; I do not think it had Mr Desperation or Mrs Blithering Idiot on it. Are you actually saying that there should have been a question on the ballot paper asking each democratic voter if they were voting in desperation? So their vote could be made void?.

Donald has not broken any pledges to the electorate, he has not even been given time to do anything.

The protesters are just bad losers and are protesting against a fair and honest democratic election result won by Donald and his election pledges.

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/18/2017 8:06:00 AM.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2017 8:45 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Elsietanner rather authorian of you to presume you can scold me that this thread isn't about Brexit or Obama when I only used Brexit and Obama as examples to support what I wrote about Trump.  I'll ignore your Trump-like admonsihments in the future. 

Trump HAS broken promises.  He has issued several 'executive orders'.  

He is a blithering idiot, but, 'Blithering Idiot' did not appear on the ballot as that isn't his hame.

Have a lovely day on the wrong side of history. 

Like 3      
16 Feb 2017 9:45 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

So far Donald has only tried to do what he pledged and made very public in his election campaign.

The US citizens democratically voted for your so called 'Blithering Idiot'. ** EDITED - Inciting**

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/17/2017 8:00:00 PM.

Like 1      
17 Feb 2017 6:58 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED - off thread **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/17/2017 8:01:00 PM.

Like 1      
17 Feb 2017 9:50 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Back to the actual topic of this thread, as Trump's existing 'executive order' regarding tourists, workers and immigrants from those 7 countries has been deemed illegal (unconstitutional) by every judge who has reviewed it, including judges who were appointed by Republican presidents, Trump has decided to start over by crafting a new executive order instead of trying to fix what is probably not fixable.

All through his campaign, Trump said that we needed laws like this to "keep Americans safe."  But from today's news, it seems unlikely that safety and security are motives for his new efforts as the process the Trump administration has chosen EXCLUDES most input from the National Security Council, the principal forum used by the President of the US for consideration of national security and foreign policy matters.

From today's Guardian (I can't link on this site):

"The White House policy director, Stephen Miller, is at the helm as the process for refugee and immigration policy is going through the domestic policy council, which does not include most of the government’s foreign policy or security-related agencies. . .The process means domestic political concerns are given greater priority and consideration of their national security impact is marginalized despite the impact on US relations with much of the world."

And in case you missed it, Stephen Miller's statements in last weekend's interviews, saying that "the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and WILL NOT BE QUESTIONED," caused many in Trump's own party to denoucne what he said.  Even Trump's ardent supporters responded that the courts have oversight responsibility and the president is subject to their rulings.  Many others saw it as an indication of the Trump administration's thirst for authoritarian power. 

This message was last edited by GarySFBCN on 17/02/2017.

This message was last edited by GarySFBCN on 17/02/2017.

Like 1      
17 Feb 2017 10:09 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

A good post and more responsible.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2017 3:50 PM by GarySFBCN Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

New fear mongering about 'foreigners' leads to new policies, which leads to unnecessary, needlessly aggessive and probably idiotic screening at the airport.  From today's Guardian:   "Australian children's author Mem Fox detained by US border control: 'I sobbed like a baby' "  ...she was questioned by border agents for two hours in front of a room full of people – an experience that left her feeling like she had been physically assaulted.   “I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness,” Fox said.  “I felt like I had been physically assaulted which is why, when I got to my hotel room, I completely collapsed and sobbed like a baby, and I’m 70 years old."

This is happening a lot now. Embarrassingly, while Trump was gratuitously praising the boxer Muhammad Ali, Ali's son was being questioned at an airport in Florida because he is Muslim.  

FYI, tourism is 2.6% of the US GDP, employs 7.6 million employees in the US and generates $1.6 trillion in economic output (data from 2015).

I wonder if the Brexit vote will impact tourism?  I know that if Le Pen wins in France, I won't be setting foot in that country until she's gone. On the other hand, this could benefit Spain and those who have holiday homes to let. 

This message was last edited by GarySFBCN on 25/02/2017.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2017 4:02 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Donald could not have caused that by now.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 160

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x