Donald Trump immigration ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jan 2017 2:07 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Mr Trump's order temporarily banned nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US. Is his action correct?.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 2:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Yes his actions are 100% correct. 

Trump told the USA what he was going to do if he got elected, he got elected, he has done it, many other countries I bet are wishing they had a Trump as a leader.

Protecting the USA, how can that be wrong?

Like 4      
31 Jan 2017 2:43 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

This is for America to sort out ,it has nothing to do with any other country other than the ones  he has ban Muslims coming from ,people have no right to demonstrate against President Trump if they do not live in or come from America.

Like 3      
31 Jan 2017 2:55 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

he has also banned many UK nationals with dual citizenship and even one of TM's elected MP's

100% wrong and will cause more problems than it has fixed

USA voters showing their deep disrcimiation views just like many brexiters

What next - segregation again

For me a big step backwards for all

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 3:09 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

But windtalker he is the ’’so called’’ most powerful man in the world. Surely whatever he does be it directly or indirectly must have some influence on everyone’s thinking including governments of every other country, whether they agree or not in his actions.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2017 7:02 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Couldn't the british nationals with duel citizenship travel to the US on their British passports if necessary. Although I thought that the ban only applied to those travelling from the named countries, or have I missed something? I have no idea if Donald Trump is right or not but think any country has the right to ban any person from entering their country. I don't remember such a fuss when Hungary decided that it didn't want any Syrian refugees as they didn't want Muslims in their Christian country.

Like 6      
31 Jan 2017 8:27 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

He has only done what he said he would do in his election campaign. That certainly makes a change for a politician. I doubt the 7 countries involved ever had much chance of getting a US visa since 9/11. And I suspect many other Muslim countries not on the ban list have little or no chance of getting a US visa. This could affect dual nationality Spanish Moroccans re EOS. I wonder what jobs the Anoraks do if they actually work. Donanldo was democratically elected.  

Like 4      
31 Jan 2017 8:31 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Obama's administration identified these 7 countries as breeders of  terrorist and done nothing about it as it would be seen as being not politically correct to do so,President Trump  during his  campaigning tour of America repeatedly said to the American people that he was going to have a wall built and ban people from certain Muslim countries  from entering America ,Trump is the only politician that l can think of that has the balls to do what he said he was going to do, he was Democratically elected on a clear majority by the American people to do this...... so what has this got to do with the rest of the world ..…or did they expect him to do what politician's normally do ,which is screw the people that voted him in and do the nothing.

Like 4      
31 Jan 2017 8:43 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

1. Think this sums it up for me, how about you ?
    Where were the protests when Obama attacked Libya, the war that caused the refugee crisis?
  2. You all supported it.
  3. ...
  4. Where were the protests when Obama & Hillary armed jihadists in Syria, a civil war that exacerbated the refugee crisis?
  5. You said nothing.
  6. Where were the protests when Obama banned Iraqi refugees for TWICE the amount of time Trump did?
  7. You didn't even know about it.
  8. Isn't it amazing how you only protest when there's an opportunity to virtue signal about it?
  9. You did and said xxxxxxx when Obama dropped 100,000 bombs on Muslim countries.

Like 4      
01 Feb 2017 12:02 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

The Anoraks were already protesting against Donald’s democratically elected presidency before he imposed his well know and well broadcasted election pledge immigration ban.

What are they actually wanting. Do they want the election cancelled, or do they want him to resign before he starts?.

Are they now saying that the immigration ban is not cricket and the US should forgive and forget the 9/11 attacks that resulted in the deaths of 2,996 people and the injuries of more than 6,000 others on September 11, 2001.

Perhaps they are correct that Somalia nationals only want to come to the US to enjoy the theme park rides in Florida.

Like 9      
01 Feb 2017 2:05 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

In 2016 the Hungarians point blank refused to take the quota impose on them by the EU of Muslims refugees ,sighting that Hungary was a Christian country and Muslims did not respect Christian's ,I did not see any protesting over this ..the EU has kept this problem under raps. All the info is on the net.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 01/02/2017.

Like 3      
01 Feb 2017 10:30 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Donny you carry on keeping out the undesirables hope we Brits eventually follow suit

Power to the people

Love Hugh xxx

This message was last edited by hughjardon on 01/02/2017.

Like 3      
04 Feb 2017 8:32 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

baz1946 Do you think a worldwide ban on Muslims would be correct?.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2017 9:27 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

A worldwide ban on religion might be helpful.   

Best wishes, Brian

Like 3      
05 Feb 2017 10:56 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

baz1946 Do you think a worldwide ban on Muslims would be correct?.

Elsietanner.

like as in how, sweet shops, on the bus, trains, in the park etc etc...Ask a stupid question then expect to some degree a stupid answer.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 11:29 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

baz1946 Oh dear here we go again. You said:-

‘’many other countries I bet are wishing they had a Trump as a leader.’’

I asked you ‘’Do you think a worldwide ban on Muslims would be correct?.’’

Reply ‘’Ask a stupid question then expect to some degree a stupid answer.’’

So it’s back to personal insults, the thing you know best. Do you have special exemption to forum rules?.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 1:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I see from Google in one year there were 33,000 homicides in USA involving a gun used by a American citizen.

I wonder how many of the perpetrators were Muslims ?

Wikipedia:  The hijackers in the September 11 attacks 15 of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia, and the others were from the United Arab Emirates (2), Egypt, and Lebanon.[1]

None  from the seven banned countries of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

And no ban on Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates , Egypt or Lebanon.

So how does Trumps’ order protect USA from the citizens of  the countries where their actual terrorists come from ?

PS   I wonder if Walt Disney ever imagined  ‘Micky’ and ‘Donald’ running USA

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 1:41 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Now then Elsietanner.

Having a Trump as a leader does not mean banning Muslims world wide, it means having a leader who tells you what he or she will do once they get elected, which he did, by the sounds of it he wont go back on something he told  the people, something that many countries could only wish for in a leader rather then the weak minded stuff many get, he doesn't need the money, now or after he leaves office, do you think he got that far in business by not telling how it is,  again unlike many of the others we could name.

By the way unless you haven't noticed he hasn't banned Muslims in total, he has banned people who come from these 7 countries who wish to travel to the USA and for obvious reasons.

Please don't think of what I said back to you as a personal insult, it wasn't personal as in to you only, if anyone asked that type of question of me they would get the same back, if I had said to you 'Yes a world wide ban on Muslims would be correct' I know where you would have gone with that answer. If you really believe that what I said was an insult then all I can say to you is you haven't been insulted that much in life, which surprises me somewhat.

I get no preferential treatment on this forum as I do get some of my posts removed like others have done. 

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 1:51 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Johnzx.

I think you might find that these 7 banned countries were on the main lists for terrorist training grounds, it seems not to matter where they come from originally. I think you would be surprised as to where these people tell you they come from when captured and quizzed on their backgrounds.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 2:03 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

1. Exclusion of the Chinese

President Chester A. Arthur. 

Signed on May 6, 1882.  

The Chinese Exclusion Act, which banned "skilled and unskilled labourers and Chinese employed in mining" from entering the US for 10 years, was the first significant law restricting immigration to the country. It came at a time when the US was struggling with high unemployment and, although Chinese made up a very small segment of the country's workforce, they were nevertheless scapegoated for its social and economic woes. 

The law also placed restrictions on Chinese who were already in the US, forcing them to obtain certificates in order to re-enter if they left the country and banning them from securing citizenship. 

The act expired in 1892 but was extended for a further 10 years in the form of another - the Geary Act. This placed additional restrictions on Chinese residents of the country, forcing them to register and to obtain a certificate of residence, without which they could be deported. 

This changed in 1943 with the Magnuson Act - which allowed some Chinese immigration and for some Chinese already residing in the country to become naturalised citizens, but which maintained the ban on property and business ownership. This came at a time when China was a US ally during World War II.

2. Jewish refugees during World War II

President Franklin D. Roosevelt. 

As millions of people became refugees during World War II, US President Franklin D Roosevelt argued that refugees posed a serious threat to the country's national security. Drawing on fears that Nazi spies could be hiding among them, the country limited the number of German Jews who could be admitted to 26,000 annually. And it is estimated that for most of the Hitler era, less than 25 percent of that quota was actually filled.

In one of the most notorious cases, the US turned away the St Louis ocean liner, which was carrying 937 passengers, almost all of whom are thought to have been Jewish, in June 1939. The ship was forced to return to Europe, where more than a quarter of its passengers are thought to have been killed in the Holocaust.

3. Anarchists banned

President Theodore Roosevelt. 

Signed on March 3, 1903. 

In 1903, the Anarchist Exclusion Act banned anarchists and others deemed to be political extremists from entering the US.

In 1901, President William McKinley had been fatally shot by Leon Czolgosz, an American anarchist who was the son of Polish immigrants.

The act - which was also known as the Immigration Act of 1903 - codified previous immigration law and, in addition to anarchists, added three other new classes of people who would be banned from entry: those with epilepsy, beggars and importers of prostitutes.

The act marked the first time that individuals were banned for their political beliefs.

READ MORE: EU looks to fund camps in Africa to cut immigration 

4. Communists banned

Passed by Congress on August 23, 1950, despite being vetoed by President Harry Truman .  

The Internal Security Act of 1950 - also known as the Subversive Activities Control Act of 1950 or the McCarran Act - made it possible to deport any immigrants believed to be members of the Communist Party. Members of communist organisations, which were required to register, were also not allowed to become citizens.

Truman opposed the law, stating that it "would make a mockery of our Bill of Rights".

Sections of the act were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1993. But some parts of the act still stand.

5. Iranians

President Jimmy Carter, April 7, 1980. 

Following the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, during which the US embassy in Tehran was stormed and 52 Americans were held hostage for 444 days, American President Jimmy Carter cut diplomatic relations with and imposed sanctions on Iran. He also banned Iranians from entering the country.

Today, Iranians have again been banned - one of seven Muslim majority countries included in Trump's executive order 

6. Ban on HIV positive persons

Under President Ronald Reagan, the US Public Health Service added Aids to its list of "dangerous and contagious" diseases. Senator Jesse Helms' "Helms Amendment" added HIV to the exclusion list. 

In 1987, the US banned HIV positive persons from arriving in the US. The laws were influenced by homophobic and xenophobic sentiment towards Africans and minorities at the time, as well as a false belief that the HIV virus could be spread by physical or respiratory contact. Former US President Barack Obama lifted it in 2009, completing a process begun by President George W Bush.

Apologies for this being a bit long winded but it would seem America has history on this.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 160

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x