Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2017 9:08 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Over the last 2 days I have been advising buyers on mortgages and it seems that the banks are returning to their old ways so I am writing this just to warn people watch out

Spanish banks often insist that you take like and buildings insurance, from the bank and even discount the rate to reflct this, as with the UK they cannot enforce this but it is likely that the offer will be, no insurance, no mortgage. What some people advise is take get the mortgage, take the insurance for a year and then cancel or move, this is what I did because I have a number of life policies that I could use

Because the banks know about this, a more worrying trend, is the return of them requiring you to but, full term insurance, so you agree upfront to pay for insurance for the mortgage period and the cost is added to the mortgage. Real example yesterday, for a 20 year mortgage the life cover was €75 a month so they wanted to add €18k to the mortgage so the buyer would have topay this plus the additional interest and agian he is told if he doesn't agree to this no mortgage offer

Can you avoid this yes, although you pay a mortgage broker for their services they can often get better terms becaise of thier volume, this client ended up paying a slightly higher rate, 1.9% variable but there was NO obligation to take their insurances, yes he has to have life cover and is using an existing policy, big saving

Right now we have mortgages starting at 1.5% variable with some good availability but watch out for Term Insurance terms

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 12:55 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Financial regulations don't appear to apply to Spain, Maria's opinion would be very interesting, this would be against FCA regulations in the UK.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 1:51 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Roy is correct

I took out a 15 year mortgage in 2008 . Although I didn't pay it up front,  the compulsory life insurance element was 60 euros a month. By 2014 it had increased to 90 euros a month. The only way out of it was to pay the mortgage early which luckily I was in a position to do late 2014. (Even then they managed to get an extra month out of me, because on completion of the mortgage I had to give a months notice to cancel the life insurance)

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 2:46 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

We took out a small mortgage as we'd been told at least the banks will be doing checks on the property. After getting burned by a builder that went out of business and an estate agents who, basically, lied to us, we thought it would be good to do so.

Yes, the house insurance was a condition of getting that mortgage. The bank (Bancaja as was) charged us €580 a year for this insurance and pointed out the condition in the mortgage contract. What we hadn't realised was that this was buildings insurance only and didn't cover contents. Considering the community insurance also covered we did feel we were getting ripped off.

Fortunately we paid the mortgage off after 10 months and cancelled the insurance. We took out full buildings and contents insurance which, after the company had checked the community insurance which doesn't cover everything, the cost was €190 for the year. Rather a big difference to the banks €580 for less coverage. 

If we'd had to pay so many years up front (as mentioned, €18k extra) we wouldn't have done it as that would have doubled the mortgage. 

Mind you, in UK some years ago the banks were also doing the same thing. My parents still had buildings and contents insurance costing over 500 quid a year which I cancelled and got them with Direct Line UK for £180. 

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 3:15 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Mariedav,

If my memory serves, prior to freedom of choice in respect of UK buildings insurance, lenders used to charge a 'policy inspection' fee if you wished to arrange your own cover, this usually negated any saving you thought that you had made.

All that happens now is that you must insure for the rebuilding figure decided by the lender's valuer and have their interest noted on the policy document.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 6:45 PM by Nev1967 Star rating in Wales. 15 posts Send private message

Hi Roy,

Just a quick thank you for putting us in touch with Tim, he`s been outsanding so thanks again.

Neville

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 7:21 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

No problem, a pleasure, we both know our stuff, me on sales Tim on the mortgage side

Like 0      
12 Jan 2017 8:47 PM by TimMHI Star rating in San Javier. 9 posts Send private message

TimMHI´s avatar

Yes, thanks for putting us in touch Roy!

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 3:16 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You can cancel the Life Insurance contract within 30 days from the delivery of the policy: 

1.- Communicating your decission to the Insurer, mentioning you are using art 83.a of the Insurance Contracts Act, requesting the refund of the premium/s paid.

2.- If you find no satisfactory answer after this, you need to contact Clients defense department of the Insurance Company. They must reply to you within 2 months.

3.- If there is no positive answer after these two months, you can bring a claim before Claims Department of the  Dirección General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones, who must reply to you within 2 months.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 3      
13 Jan 2017 5:27 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Well Maria's post will do me, this sounds logical.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 5:57 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

And with the speed of the Spanish Legal system you will wait a long time and spend money with the lasywers to get this resolved plus it isn't just the premium but it will be added to the mortgage paperwork, that the buyer signs

Surely better to just be warned that they do it and not agree

Like 0      
14 Jan 2017 5:02 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Roy,

This is why I would only use a broker, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2017 5:56 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

No I understand that it was more Maria as a lawyer talking about the legal route in everything which I know from experience isn't easy or cheap in Spain

Like 0      
15 Jan 2017 12:20 AM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

Maria is giving good advice for free of the legal situation.

We had the similar situation and difficulty in canceling at renewal time. Rules have changed slightly and with the help of Miguel we eventually got the exhorbitant bank insurance cancelled.

We had to show that there was a relevant insurance policy in place as part of the paperwork which was submitted in Spanish to the relevant head office department on our behalf. We should also have served it in person to our branch which would have made life easier.

Like 0      
16 Jan 2017 1:55 PM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

Brits tend to leave their brains back in Blighty when they go property shopping over the water, they would never fall for plethora of three card tricks back home that they appear to accept as the norm when in foreign parts. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Spanish banker and estate agent have a laugh at what strokes they have pulled on the unsuspecting brits.

If it doesn't sound kosher simply say "no thanks" and walk away, I have long been an advocate of using the services of a broker, you wouldn't trust yourself to do the legal (well most wouldn't), so why not treat a loan in the same way?

Like 2      
16 Jan 2017 2:55 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

After recent Supreme Court decision on Mortgage associated costs, these expenses can also be claimed from the Bank

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Jan 2017 9:09 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

I have recently inherited quite a lot of money from my auntie Maude. Should I take out some of this term assurance stuff.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2017 9:33 AM by Destry Star rating in MYOB . 289 posts Send private message

You do whatever you wish ET, it's none of our business.

😉

Like 3      
17 Jan 2017 9:42 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

You do whatever you wish ET, it's none of our business.

Yes quite agree - well said Destrywink

Like 1      
17 Jan 2017 10:05 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Thank you for your advice. You are both so kind and helpful. Truly as members an asset to EOS and even when you have no knowledge of a subject you still put yourselves out to comment. Thank you so much. Sorry I troubled you both.

This message was last edited by Elsietanner on 17/01/2017.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts
Bargain Loving Brit's In Spain on Thursday night channel 5 UK 8pm - 0 posts
Driving to Spain and paying tolls! - 7 posts
Divorce Attorney - 1 posts
newbie with questions for the community! - 15 posts
Attempting a move to Spain - 0 posts
Cream leather corner sofa - 0 posts
Dream or reality - 49 posts
Somewhere to settle for 3 months with an idea of staying long term - 4 posts
Corvera entered receivership - 6 posts
Advice please - 3 posts
Modelo 210 - 3 posts
IBI Bill torre pacheco area - 2 posts
Seguro Parking - 14 posts
Cost of House Purchase - 24 posts
Need advice for relocating to costa del sol - 0 posts
Amazon Prime Stick - 1 posts
firewood suppliers - 5 posts
Final hearing - 1 posts
White good from Uk - 9 posts
UK plated Spanish LHD Car - 7 posts
Christmas wishes - 0 posts
Your refund linked to Floor Clause in your spanish mortgage - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x