Donald Trump immigration ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Feb 2017 2:07 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

as interesting to some this maybe

I fail to see the relevance to this eyeonspain forum

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 2:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As in the Trump ban which concerns America to show America has banned people before, so you would think that what Trump has done now is new,  it's not in many ways, but all the protests are making it out to be him and his bad policies against Muslims.

I dare say when a Jewish person kills many Americans and calls out  'All in the name of'  who ever, perhaps they will get banned also.

The relevance to this forum is that I posted in the Trump and America section....Could have put it in the leaky roof section, now that would be wrong.

It still does not get away from the fact that Trump said he would do this months / weeks ago.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 2:47 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

baz

I get why you posted on this thread rather than leaky roof or whatever

my comment was what has trump and america got to do with general chat in Spain

each to their own of course

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 6:56 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by acer on 05/02/2017.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 7:30 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

A worldwide ban on religion might be helpful.   

People often say we should respect others religions. Why? It is this attitude that has got us into the trouble we are in now. Religion has nothing that demands respect.

Many aspects of religion are ludicrous and we should lampoon all religions in the same way as we lampoon our own indiginous 'beliefs'.

If we wish to compare religions we should weigh the amount of good and bad that they do and make our judgement accordingly.

In the 16 and 17 century we moved away from fundamentalism and in the enlightenment the follies of religion became apparent.

So, yes we should have banned all new fundamentalist religion from our shores long ago, especially any that hold members in higher esteem than all others.

We missed that opportunity, and the equality brigade would not allow us to be selective, so the only way may be as you suggest : a ban on all religion (In the UK - the others can choose for themselves). I doubt if we could persuade politicians (short of a massive atrocity) that this should be the case but the first logical action should be the banning of all religion in all schools.Indoctrination of our children is a disgrace.

This message was last edited by tteedd on 05/02/2017.

Like 1      
05 Feb 2017 8:04 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Feb 2017 8:53 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Mark Twain made some clever quotes and that is not one of them.  I'm not religious, but I believe that as a generalism it's good to respect other people's views, so long as they do not offensive or insist on burdening them on others.

It seems that Trump is still generally popular in the USA, but perhaps that's just Americans like many others, being reluctant to admit that they got it wrong.  But somehow I don't reckon he'll complete even one term in office.  He'll either get impeached, get assassinated or start a nuclear war.

Like 2      
05 Feb 2017 9:23 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

I think Mark Twain did make that quote, its posted all over the internet.

“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.” Napoleon Bonaparte.
That may well have been accurate when Napoleon said it and religion is still preached by politicians to brainwash its citizens (God bless America after every speech).  Nevertheless various religions are now being used in some instances to provoke hatred and kill innocent people. And should any person mention that piece of information the racist card is played.

This message was last edited by Elsietanner on 05/02/2017.

Like 1      
06 Feb 2017 8:46 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Elsie, I do not deny those words were from Mark Twain - as I said, just that they were not amongst his best.

There are literally millions of people living on this earth, in harmony with each other and happy with their chosen religion.  It is absurd to allow the actions of miniscule percentage to distort the overall view.

It is a bit odd that you make these statements condemning racism with a picture of Nigel Farage alongside.  He and Donald Trump often spout fascists views.  Fascists (aka Autocrats, Nazis, Klu Klux Klan, Brown Shirts etc)  don't have a good track record towards others.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2017 9:14 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Check out Californian school teacher James Corbett, looks like he had something to do with this quote, and not Mark Twain....Don't take my word for it it's all over the internet.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2017 10:48 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

acer  It is absurd to allow the actions of miniscule percentage to distort the overall view.

I agree but it is also absurd that the actions of miniscule percentage ‘’TERRORISTS’’ distort so many people’s way of life.

Like 1      
07 Feb 2017 8:08 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Elsie,

If you applied yours and Trump's logic generally, the world would "freeze up".  No-one would:

~ drive a car as occasionally horrible accidents occur,
~ go outside their home as there are a few homicidal maniacs about, 
~ have any physical contact with another human being, in case they contracted a rare deadly virus

Trump's proposals makes little sense to me.  Particularly as most recent terrorist incidents in the USA have involved American born citizens.  Also surely their major worry should be the never ending high level of gun violence, particularly the continuous stream of demented spotty youths who go berserk on campus with automatic weapons.  

Is his denial of access to all Muslims really valid, or is it simply pandering to the pre-election promises made to the racist rednecks?

Like 3      
07 Feb 2017 8:21 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

acer There is a difference between everyday hazards and risks versus terrorists that are intent on murdering innocent people. Or are you saying two wrongs make a right.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2017 8:54 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The speaker of the house  broke the rules when he stated that Trump should not address the house, he is suppose to be totally unbiased being the speaker he has no authority or powers to make a statement without the house agreeing to it .

Like 4      
07 Feb 2017 9:20 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Send him to the tower, along with his wife, that's if he still free loading from him.

Like 4      
08 Feb 2017 8:43 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Elsie, thankfully these are not "everyday hazards" as you suggest!  They are extremely rare events.

Trumps racist policy is absurd and probably as effective as the medieval policy of the ducking stool for witches.  This probably had a similar pretence of being an effective policy and appealed only to the mindless morons of the day.

IMHO Trump's policy will fail and will actually increase terrorism.  It can only increase discontent in Muslim countries and create a breeding ground for support for the nutters on the other extreme, Deash and Al Qaeda.  Do you really believe it's a clever policy?

Like 1      
08 Feb 2017 9:06 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

It can only increase discontent in Muslim countries

Yes, you could be correct, we don’t want to upset the terrorists.

Like 1      
08 Feb 2017 10:09 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Elsie,

In your latest post you imply that Muslim countries = terrorists, which is rather silly (and that's putting it kindly).

I suspect you would be an ardent fan of the ducking stool system a few years ago.

But the question is, will Trump's policy work?  The answer has to be a resounding "NO".  It is most likely to backfire and create more unrest and probably increased levels of terrorism.  To me this isn't clever.

Like 3      
08 Feb 2017 10:59 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Forget the word terrorists for a moment, think muslims, as we all know they would like a muslim religion all over the world, think they wont get it, think again because it's very possible in the hundred years or so forwards, most muslim families have quite a few kids, more then most English families thats for sure, maybe a throw back to the country they came from where the kids help out the elders in later years, now we do know that many of these kids grow up knowing that the muslim way is the best, and only way, in keeping tags on the women, stopping many times a day to pray, wont learn the host countries language, not interested in the English way of life, wont integrate with the locals, hate the Jews, the list is endless.

Now you have kids growing up who only know this way of life and the sheer amounts of them due to the birth rate, starting to overwhelm the areas they choose to live in, you know thats happened already, then it gets to the point where they don't like whats being told to them by the local councils, governments of the country, but the local natives have to adhere to these values while the muslims wont.

Then you get the radicals within these people who preach stuff like 'Kill the infidels' and yes they do listen, that also you know, then you're getting to a situation whereby the locals don't trust anyone who looks like a muslim, be one or not, so treat them all the same and you can't go wrong. The numbers will eventually overwhelm.

Trump actually said he was banning these people from 7 countries... 'Until we find out what the hell is going on' seems to me to be one big difference to being racist.

Like 2      
08 Feb 2017 11:00 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

acer

I thought present terrorists trying to do violence to western targets and countries were either Muslims terrorist’s already in western countries or travelled from mostly Muslim countries with terrorists training camps. You believe this idea is rather silly putting it kindly. For the advantage of the thread who are the terrorists and where do they come from?.

Will Trump’s policy work?. I do not know, but no one seems to have found an answer up to now. Clearly you believe with the assistance of your army of security advisors you know better and are a more cleverer person than the President of the United States. Conceivably you are in the wrong job.

Please cut out the juvenile comments in relation to ducking stools.

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

First post. I am a cyclist and would like to know what the law for dog attacks - 7 posts
Clausula Suelo - 25 posts
Help - looking to move to south of Spain - 5 posts
Question re interest payments re Ley 58/68 and AVALS - 6 posts
I am a spanish teacher and i just started my new youTube channel - suggestions? - 5 posts
Contemplating the Big Move!! - 22 posts
Anyone looking for a solicitor in Spain? Check Costaluz Lawyers out. - 0 posts
Maria and Costa Luz Lawyers - 0 posts
Steps for Claims on Floor Clauses in Mortgage contracts - 26 posts
Do i need to be registered to be a key holder?? - 12 posts
Finding the best mortgage - 2 posts
Iberia beckons - 3 posts
Speeding Notification asking for Driver ID - 6 posts
Advice wanted on buying 2nd hand pickup - 0 posts
Hip Op - 5 posts
Car Insurance options? - 4 posts
IT IS SNOWING AT LA ZENIA - 6 posts
Remortgaging a property in Spain - advice please - 17 posts
Planning to invest in Spain Hacienda del Alamo - 3 posts
Paying tax in UK as a Spanish Tax Resident. - 3 posts
CREAM LEATHER CORNER SOFA - 0 posts
Term Life Insurance, Banks Abusing Clients Again - 25 posts
Return car with expired ITV - 5 posts
LA NUCIA TOWN - 0 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX DUE ON SALE OF UK PROPERTY - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 160

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x