Best mortgage deal ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by kennym Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

Hi all,

Presently organising a mortgage for our place and before we make our decision we'd like to hear from those of you who have got a really good deal on theirs and who you got it from.

Factors like opening commission, interest rates, % they will lend etc,etc.. are so variable from bank to bank.

Any info, public or private message would be most helpful.

Regards,

Ken & Elaine

Like 0      
05 Dec 2006 8:15 PM by stokesfamily Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi

Did you get any response to your message?  We are in the same boat at the moment!  We have contacted Banco Halifax and also a broker called Easy Mortgages.  I must say we are getting a bit lost with all the charges!  Banco Halifax appear to be offering 4.9% interest only, over 15 years, with 1% loan arrangement fee.  We are still awaiting for the information from Easy Mortgages!

Have you had anything better.

D

Like 0      
06 Dec 2006 3:32 PM by mbowater Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Regarding mortgages. We completed yesterday, and used SolBank in CaboRoig. I am a Mortgage Broker/IFA in the UK, but used them direct. The rate we got is Fixed (1 year at a time), was 5.10%. I probably could have got cheaper, but service I got was excellent. They are a Bank that is designed for the "English". They communicated all the way alomg the process.

They and the solicitor we used at the Notary yesterday were superb. If you need their details let me know.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2006 6:07 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Stokes family you can get EURIBOR plus 0.75% (current pay rate 4.54%) if you want conventional repayment product at up to 80% of value - restricted to 90% of purchase contract price.

Rgds Smiley

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
06 Dec 2006 6:10 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Sorry should have mentioned you can get 1 year interest only with that if you want it.

Overall purchase expenses should come to about 12% of purchase price of property. Mortgage Deed stamp duty, bank arrangement fees, Notary fees etc.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
06 Dec 2006 7:09 PM by Eric M Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Hi All

We completed at the Notary on 16 November with a mortgage with la Caixa. Essentially they are a savings bank and they invest their profits in social, educational,scientific and cultural projects through the "la Caixa" Foundation. As a mortgage broker in the UK I did a little shopping around. We got an interest rate of 4.9% fixed for 6 months, linked to the Euribor at a loan to valuation of 76% and on a straight repayment basis. The arrangement fee originally quoted was 1% but negotiated down to 0.75%. There was an option of 3 years inerest only. Importantly there are no early repayment penalties and no compulsory life assurance. The branch my son and I used was at the end of the Cabo Roig strip where it becomes Campoamar on the southern Costa Blanca. Must say been very impressed thus far. They also offer Sterling accounts which means that you can deposit a sterling cheque into your account which can then be converted to Euros. If anyone would like their contact details please get in touch      

Like 0      
05 Feb 2007 10:23 PM by Locins Star rating in Thurso, Caithness, S.... 102 posts Send private message

Locins´s avatar

Hi everyone

We are nearing completion on our apartment and now looking for a good mortgage deal or a recommended broker. We purchased the apartment through MRI and on their recommendation Capital Financial Partners Worldwide have been in touch with us. Has anybody had any dealings with this company or know anything about them as they require you to take out a membership costing 495euros into their mortgage club. This entitles you to a mortgage, financial advisor, bank a/c, mortgage reviews and updates, insurance reviews etc.... 

Has anyone else paid this sort of money to get help with their mortgage, sounds a lot of money to us.

We have started trawling through internet looking for other bank and mortgage companies and will look at ones that have been mentioned here.

Any help or advise greatly appreciated

June

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 11:27 AM by janis Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

can anyone tell me what 'subrogation' is, my son needs to remortgage as he one year interest only comes to an end in April.  Someone told me that subrogation would be cheaper than remortgaging, from what i can remember it means that a new bank just takes over your mortgage rather than starting from scratch again.  Does anyone know any more info. on this?  My sons circumstances have changed since he got his first mortgage and now will find it hard to start from scratch, with a subrogation would they need all the financial checks etc. again?  Also has anyone approached their bank that they are already with and tried to re negociate more years at interest only?  He is with UCI at the moment and expects his payments to go up from 625 to nearly 1200 a month, any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 11:54 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Locins,

Be wary of paying anything up front as any mortgage broker worth his salt will charge nothing until completion. Search around and speak with Smiley from this forum!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
07 Feb 2007 6:35 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Janis subrogation means transfer. All he would be doing is transferring the existing mortgage terms to a new lender - cant even understand why anyone would suggest this as being a viable option. Doesnt do him any favours at all. The existing lender would charge an early cancellation fee anyway and he would still end up on a capital repayment plan. This is one of the reasons I say to people they need to consider long and hard before completing on any mortgage in Spain to ensure it meets long term requirements. So often lenders tell you one thing - "come back and ask us for an extended period of interest only after the first year" - only to find they will not do it. A mortgage deed here is written in stone (metaphorically of course). Thus once it has been registered at the Notary the terms cannot be changed without writing a completely new deed. One of the warnings we give to a prospective client is that remortgage here is horrendously expensive - typical costs are in the region of 5 to 6% - it is also complex and not straightforward like it is in the UK. Thus make sure the mortgage not only suits today but also suits tomorrow!!!! I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THAT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

UCI would never for us be lender of first choice - possibly about 15th after many different avenues but it might be your son had problems proving all his income and there are "brokers" in Spain who will produce documentation for clients in support of a mortgage application that allegedly it is more easy to get past some lenders as checks are not as thorough. If he does want to move to a different lender he will still be required to provide documents supporting income but as I say I cannot see the particular benefit unless the mortgage required is within 60% of property valuation - then it might be feasible to do something.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 2:41 PM by janis Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks Smiley, he would need to borrow 183,000 and the property is worth around 265,000 - 270,000.  He has now contacted Orange Finance who say they might be able to help on a 60% mortgage with no proof of income.  Have you heard of them?  Thanks for taking the trouble to answer

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 2:58 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
I know Orange Finance - I believe used to be The Loan Centre and reinvented after having to close down 2 years ago. Product they are talking about is expensive at 2% above Euribor - opening commission at 1.5 to 2% of mortgage advance. 30 years interest only - 1% redemption penalty for the life of the loan but can repay up to 10% of capital balance every year. No proof of income required but will not lend to clients with more than £10,000 of unsecured (loans, credit cards) UK debts. To get 183k property will have to value at least 305,000. Is 183k the outstanding balance or does that incorporate the costs he will incur as well by moving?  

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 5:46 PM by janis Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

183 is the outstanding balance, he really needs to do something as he is going off to travel round Australia and needs to get it sorted.  He is only 24 and i wish he had never brought the place but he has and it doesnt look like a sellers market at the moment

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 6:19 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Janis by my rough calculations he is going to need roughly 11,000€ to cover remortgage expenses - more or less - this will take the loan up to 194,000 - property will need to value at approx 325,000€ to get the deal they are talking about

Like 0      
08 Feb 2007 7:29 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Hi Smiley

How do we or the banks calculate the current value of our place. We bought it off plan over 3 years ago. Its still not ready yet. The price we paid is a good bit lower than what the developer is selling their remaining apartments at, although there are resales going for about €50k lower than the developers.

Westport

Like 0      
09 Feb 2007 10:18 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

HI Westport its Smiley on the wifes machine. The bank valuation companies have a formula of cost per square metre to build in a specific area that they are supposed to follow so it depends where you have bought. Views and aspect are considered a positive, construction next to a tyre factory would be deemed a negative - however not so much as you might think. They take into consideration price comparisons of recent transactions in the area but simply because a developer is selling for 50k more wont affect their assessment. Would that it was purely as simple as that. The official bank valuation companies also take different views (this is Spain where opinion counts) because they can produce wildly different figures - I have recently had a property valued for a client that was 40,000€ different to an identical apartment that had been valued by a different valuer - there are some that take a more casual approach to a valuation than others and certain banks insist on certain valuers - generally we have a pretty good success rate with the valuers used if a valuation needs to be appealed for any reason. Direct communication with the Director of a valuation company often results in a more favourable figure as long as we can present a constructive argument.

Things such as a Smallbone of Devizes kitchen for 100,000 would not particularly impact a valuation figure unlike the UK where it would have a siginificant impact - same with other home improvements so be careful how you spend any money in the future.

Complicated but I hope that answers your question.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 11:29 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi Smiley,

Just wanted to reply to your email dtd 8th Feb re Interest Only product!  I agree with all you said however, Loans, credit cards, UK debt are not declarable nor counted EXCEPT exsiting mortgages and this will be checked.   This has been the case for several months now.

Regards

sharon@tmasspain.com

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 2:33 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Thanks for the info Sharon - appreciated. Tendency not to use it as we have other better options as it is such an expensive product. In itself I guess it is ok but always likely to be quite a long way down our pecking order on the basis of LTV and rates and opening commission.

Rgds

Like 0      
20 Feb 2007 10:59 AM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

I understood from this forum that it was illegal for a developer to charge the purchaser for the cancelation of their mortgage. On this basis I sent the message below to my lawyer (Lex Marbella)

I am advised that the charge by the developer for not taking over their mortgage on the property in Spain is not legal. Other residents of Don Juan have already challenged this charge through their lawyers and the developers have agreed not to make this charge. Please deal with this issue with Arrohabitage for us as we are not prepared to pay for the discharge of their mortgage on the property.

Their reply: I am afraid; this is one of the conditions of the contract with the developer. The cost of this will be approximately between 700 – 800 €

What do I do next?

David

Like 0      
20 Feb 2007 11:33 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Dave,

I WAS a client of Lex Marbella who appeared in many respects to be very professional UNTIL after 2 1/2 years of dealing with them I discovered that they had failed to obtain Bank Guarantees for any of their clients on our development!! over 20 of their clients were left very vulnerable and all they said was SORRY!!!!!!

I agree with you that you should be able to go for an independant mortgage without penalty? You will however incurr additional costs of around 3.5% in extra commissions  by going to an independant Spanish lender but the repayment terms may well be better?  You should push Lex to do their job and inform their developer of the law in Spain relating to contracted mortgage packages. Its the same old story really.............For instance, Viva Estates work VERY closely with Lex Marbella and no doubt the developer too?

Mike T

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CONGRATULATIONS EYE ON SPAIN - 11 posts
Golf Invest - 3 posts
sierra nevada skiing - 1 posts
mabella property demolition - 2 posts
Community Pools - 10 posts
Well ! It's September - 6 posts
So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish? - 72 posts
Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts
Christmas Dinner Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Resort Membership - 3 posts
Playa Flamenca/Punta Prima - Costa Blanca - 7 posts
undersized apartments - 3 posts
Where do we start! - 3 posts
Tell me about the Bank Holidays in December - 6 posts
Mortgages - 1 posts
Electrical Goods - 15 posts
Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 46

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x