So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by Infinity Star rating in Southport. 18 posts Send private message

I started lessons in May and although i am still soooooo much of a beginner it makes a HUGE difference to how the Spanish treat you. They just seem so grateful that you are trying (even if it is wrong!)we got so many free drinks, meals, even offers to babysit from total strangers.

Happy learning!

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 11:03 PM by jaybe23 Star rating in Lincolnshire/ Tierra.... 54 posts Send private message

jaybe23´s avatar

I bought Michel Thomas CDs but now prefer Synergy Spanish from the internet.

Find that I am fine when listening and answering at home but forget everything in Spain when I need it. Takes me too long to bring it to mind but will persevere.

All the night classes are full in our area and private teachers hard to find.

I know someone on our urb is giving lessons so hope to join a class in Spain.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 11:18 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Michel Thomas I think is quite good once you get over the irritation of his voice. It is amazing how many words in Spanish are almost a literal translation from the English with a slightly different pronunciation. There is no substitute for using it with the locals. As Victoria says they do appreciate it when you try. As Michel says get it over the net but dont worry about a let ball. Vital thing to remember and a big problem for the Brits with languages is dont be afraid to laugh at yourself. When I first arrived here a German explained to me that the main reason Brits dont pick up the lingo is they are afraid to be laughed with - the Spanish will find humour in the errors - I say almost everything in the present tense - but they will try to help if you make errors - just be a little careful about some of the words - there are some words that have a different meaning depending on the inflection - sometimes a little bit saucy and as this is not an X rated site I cannot say more. Enjoy it and make sure you have a laugh.

Rgds  

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Nov 2006 12:07 AM by Spanish Inquisition Star rating in Puerto Banus. 16 posts Send private message

C'mon, it's easy! I already learnt...English :-)

Smiley is right, but what you will probably appreciate more than the  way the spanish people could or will treat you is the fact that you will be able to enjoy more things (local news, conversations and activities in the local area where you are, national TV news, etc.), which I believe will be better than just being able to interact with a more reduced community of people. At least, when I have been living abroad I have enjoyed it much more (or just survived :-)) being able to speak the language.

The accent or the verbs tenses are not a problem...Spanish people wil make an effort to understand you :-)

Good luck! 

Like 0      
23 Nov 2006 8:16 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
The Spanish are great for encouragaing you when they see you trying to speak their language.

I'm still only studying Spanish myself, but before I have to go to the bank, accountant, ayuntamiento etc I take out my dictionary and look up the words I may need. Sometimes they looked impressed that I appear to have an extensive vocabulary (which I don't), and other times I make such a mess of it I just smile and flutter my eyelashes at the nearest male employee and he bends over backwards to understand me. :)

I'll get there eventually. I managed it with other languages, so I can do it with Spanish too!!

jfj

Like 0      
23 Nov 2006 8:40 AM by noelandwilma Star rating in Loughborough/Porto F.... 86 posts Send private message

We are learning Spanish at night class, we also have Michel Thomas (my wife hasn't let me use that one yet, she keeps it for herself).

We have bought in Porto Fino and are hoping that there will lots of Spanish using this development. We went to Almerimar and were very pleased to be able to put our limited Spanish to work, it felt great that the waiters etc. let us use their language and spoke only in Spanish to us.

There seems no point in making plans to live in another country and not learning the language (or trying the food)(hate those who go to other places and eat only English, or American food!!) Variety is the spice of life.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2006 8:53 AM by vega Star rating in spain. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED ** Please respect terms of posting

Like 0      
28 Nov 2006 10:04 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

re:vega post

didnt think commercial posts were allowed EoS, or is it a test on us to see if we understood it was advertising a shoe website?!!

Like 0      
28 Nov 2006 10:14 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Vega is obviously doing the soft shoe shuffle

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 8:11 AM by Soykapitan Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am learning Spanish using Michel Thomas and Pimsleur. Although both are good in there own ways. I would recommend Pimsleur for the simple reason that it is spoken more realistically. In other words you have to listen more carefully because most of the lessons are in the form of conversations. There are reading exercises included also. The problem I have with Michel Thomas is that when you try to listen to Spanish speakers, everything is much too fast for you to take it in.  I also listen to channel 802 on Sky which is Spanish TV broadcasting and is a mixture of entertainment and news. It is an excellent way to measure your progress. You find after a while that you start to pick up what is being discussed.

I have all Pimsleur and Michel Thomas courses in the form of mp3s which means I can listen to the lessons anywhere by transferring the files to my mp3 player or in my case my mobile.

I hope this helps you with your progress.

Good luck

Like 0      
29 Nov 2006 11:31 AM by Infinity Star rating in Southport. 18 posts Send private message

If any of you live in or around the Southport area then I can highly recommend my Spanish teacher, Min.

I never stick at anything however I have been going to Min since May (trust me that is excellent for me!) he has a very repetetive way of teaching and I like to think it has started to sink.

Sky channel 802 has been my new best friend. I thought that I might be coming along greatly with my Spanish only to turn on 802 and only understand about 3 words!

Like 0      
04 Jan 2007 8:44 AM by Infinity Star rating in Southport. 18 posts Send private message

Well, here's me thinking I was preogressing quite well with my Spanish, until New Years Eve that is.

I wanted to wish my friend, in Mallorca, a happy New Year. I haven't actually been taught how to say it yet,so I guessed. Feliz anos nuevo.

Apparently I wished her a happy new anus!

Oh well, keep trying eh?

Victoria

Like 0      
04 Jan 2007 10:00 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh I love that one!

Thanks for the laugh Infinity (Victoria), Happy New Year to you!

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
04 Jan 2007 5:17 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
That's original Infinity (Victoria)!! You might start a new trend...LOL :)

Like 0      
04 Jan 2007 6:15 PM by joiner3020 Star rating in derby uk. 15 posts Send private message

we live in derby and need a tutor to come to our home so we can learn a little spanish does anybody know any tutors arround the derby area

Like 0      
04 Jan 2007 8:42 PM by Infinity Star rating in Southport. 18 posts Send private message

Yes, what a mistake eh? But at least it's given all our friends a laugh and my friend has had many enquiries as to how her backside is!

Moral of the story is?

Don't guess - look it up!

Victoria

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 12:53 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

There is a similar one for a straw that bears a very striking resemblance to a sexual act between consenting adults - quite embarassing for a friend of mine and also he got thrown out of a bar when he asked a Spanish waitress for a $&%? - ¿!?  Dignity prevents me saying exactly what he asked for but suffice to say I have no doubt he would have gone back frequently if she had taken him for what she thought he said.

Remember your ñ next year Infinity - good one - must remember to pass it on to my Spanish teacher!

RGds

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 2:15 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I remember a Naval attache in the Falklands who attended Spanish classes in the evening.  He never came to grips with the conmigo word and used to say con yo all the time.  When it was pointed out what this could potentially mean, he used to use to use it all the time to see the reaction of the people he was speaking to.  Amazing the looks he used to get but I don't believe any Spanish person ever corrected him, and I thought it was only the English who ignored embarrassing moments.

Being a gentleman, he would only use it when no ladies were present.

A prosperous new anus to all of you

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 2:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Let us hope it is not an anus horribilis (cant remember how HRH spelled it) for any of us!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2007 3:26 PM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Joiner 3020

We live about 20 miles south of you in Sutton Coldfield.

The local college & a couple of the Senior Schools run night classes in Spanish. I am sure that similar classes must be available in Derby.

Regards

John 777

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts
Christmas Dinner Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Resort Membership - 3 posts
Playa Flamenca/Punta Prima - Costa Blanca - 7 posts
undersized apartments - 3 posts
Where do we start! - 3 posts
Tell me about the Bank Holidays in December - 6 posts
Mortgages - 1 posts
Electrical Goods - 15 posts
Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts
mortgages - 10 posts
Property owned by Spanish SL - 4 posts
Bank Valuations - 10 posts
wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 73

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x