undersized apartments

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by salsy29 Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Is it the norm for apartments to come up smaller than the sizes on our contracts.
I've just been informed, the outside of the apartment ie. walk way to front door is also included in the size. Is this right ?

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 2:20 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Depends what is stipulated in the contract - take it up with your lawyer. It may well be that part of what is deemed common area but specifically allocated to you (i.e.your walkway) is included under the terms of the contract. The problem far too often is that purchase contracts can be non specific but your lawyer should be able to clarify.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 2:23 PM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

I too have come across this in my purchase at arenal golf. We thought we was buying an apartment measuring 78m2 they have now told us almost 11m2 is for the communal hallway leading to our front door. Also when they measure they include the thickness of the walls. We are now looking at getting an apartment that measures in the region of 58m2 which i know from experience is very small for a two bed apartment.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2006 5:15 PM by Spanish Inquisition Star rating in Puerto Banus. 16 posts Send private message

Hello,

In contracts it is usually specified what the total built area is and what the "useful" area consist on (the area without proportional part of commonelements of the building). This will also be the way of describing the property in the deed.

In some cases, even a description of the diferent areas of the different elements of the property will be specified, but it is usually included in a plan of the property as an attachment of the contract. This, together with the memory of building specifications and the book of the property (indicating the electric and water installation, materials, diagrams of other installattions, etc.) have to be given to the purchaser by Law (usually the building specs. together with the contract, in order to know the qualities of the property, and the final book on completion deed).    

Unfortunately, not always the developers specify the total built area and sometimes the contract uses an expresion referring to the property in general, whatever the final area is, or even establishes that a possible difference in the areas of +/- 5% could be allowed.

If you have doubts about the apartment or house areas always ask your lawyer about the contract or Registry information. If the property has already been registered in the Land Registry that is the legal area that you will be buying.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where do we start! - 3 posts
Tell me about the Bank Holidays in December - 6 posts
Mortgages - 1 posts
Electrical Goods - 15 posts
Pedro1952 - 1 posts
selling new build property in vera almeria. - 4 posts
Fun and Frolica at The Notary Public - 0 posts
Spanish Property Bureau S.L. - 4 posts
Anyone need a builder on the CDS? - 7 posts
coral level2 - 0 posts
Do you need any assistance with your property on the Costa del Sol, new or old? - 2 posts
Disneyland - 46 posts
mortgages - 10 posts
Property owned by Spanish SL - 4 posts
Bank Valuations - 10 posts
wanted, any info on calpe,altea area - 3 posts
From North to South - 3 posts
roda golf - 1 posts
le heredia - 1 posts
General help please - 1 posts
mortgage advice - 2 posts
Expensive in Madrid - 1 posts
Lights are not always included - 5 posts
Arcos de la Frontera - 3 posts
pets on the move - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x