Good news in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jul 2010 10:46 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Felicitaciones España.

España se Europeo y campeones del mundo.

Now that really is Good News in Spain!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 11:04 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Yes Technoape

What boost this could be for Spanish ecomony! 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 11:48 AM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Fantastic result and a great boost for Spain.

Lets hope that the example shown by the team by not resulting to illegal practices and thuggery will rub off in other areas.

That by sticking to the laws of the game and playing fairly produces results.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 1:09 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

vilprano:

Lets hope that the example shown by the team by not resulting to illegal practices and thuggery will rub off in other areas.

What about all the cheating, diving and play acting that Spain indulged in throughout the tournament?  It ruins La Liga games as well.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 1:09 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

oh yes!.......now that would really be something to shout about.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 1:33 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Sorry Sanchez, but I must have watching different Spain games to you during the tournament. I don't recall Spain cheating diving or play acting any more than is unfortunately the norm in football these days.

Holland however were a disgrace, and thats coming from someone who used to be a bit of a Holland fan. Anyone who thought that the shoulder high assault on Alonso, the potential 'leg breaker' by Schieder in last nights game, and the constant violence by van Bommell during the whole tournament, belongs in modern football, is either a throw back to the seventies, or possibly a thug themselves.

Incidently, even teams with a previously dubious record now play fairer than Holland. It must have been bad if the Match of the day 'experts' who normally sit on the fence, called it 'total thuggery' and were desperate for Spain to win as a result of it.

So congrats to Spain - football beats violence can't be a bad thing.

By the way, why are Uruguay not being congratulated in the press. They came into the competition as no hopers, but played great attacking football right to the end, and in a good spirit - and no violence. For me, other than Spain, they were the team of the tournament.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 1:39 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Holland were a disgrace to themselves, their fans and their country. I wanted them to win but quickly changed my allegiance after the kick in the chest incident. 

Thank goodness it's all over!  

Like 0      
12 Jul 2010 1:41 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Sanchez,

"What about all the cheating, diving and play acting that Spain indulged in throughout the tournament?"

You mean just like every other football team that took part in the 2010 World Cup!

The game last night was ruined by the thuggery that was portrayed by the Holland team, especially the so called 'tackle' Nigel de Jong gave Spain's Xavi Alonso, as it should have been a straight red card from referee Howard Webb.

Anyway, back to the Good News in Spain, as Spain won the final for a much deserved win.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 12/07/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 3:19 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

OK, this is probably a bit late however we were very busy on Monday (feeling a teeny bit tired too!!!).

Good news for España, and what a wonderful evening we had in the centre of Jumilla on Sunday.  We watched the first half at home while we had an early dinner, then set off down the road, speaking to neighbours who had their TV sets outside their houses while they sat watching the match and having a drink.  We arrived at a local bar, which has a big screen, just before the second half kicked off, and grabbed the last table and chairs. (They have lots of tables and chairs outside which they could have used, so we reckoned we would manage to squeeze in!)  We had checked out another bar we go to while walking our dog earlier and at 7pm most of the tables outside were occupied with excited fans, so we realised we had no chance of finding a seat there! The noise level was high (even by Spanish standards), and I am surprised the roof didn't lift off when España scored. 

What an atmosphere: so much good humour, nobody really drunk and lots of very happy people, including us.  We then walked up to the gardens to join in the celebrations there, greet Spanish friends, watch the younger generation jumping into the fountain, and enjoy the occasion.  After we got home, we watched a firework display on the waste ground opposite our apartment, while trying to reassure our dog (she doesn't like loud noises).  Since then, all we have on Spanish TV is football, more football and even more football.  Good job that John likes watching football!

Sue 

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
20 Jul 2010 10:39 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Oh dear - hasn't anybody got any good news?!!!

Our good news is that on Sunday we received an award from the Ruta del Vino in Jumilla. We have been living in Jumilla for just over two years, and we have enjoyed taking part in the various activities in and around the town.  This has included going to "Música entre Vinos" (concerts in the bodegas), participating in the "Queso y Vino - mejor que un beso" promotion in various bars and restaurants, going out for a meal with Spanish friends during the "Semana Gastronómica" and so on.  It´s a hard life!  The Ruta del Vino decided to make an award this year in recognition of people who participate in and support their events (they know that I write about Jumilla for different magazines and on the internet) and they chose us as a "good example". 

The reason that I am posting this news is that it shows how much Spanish people appreciate Brits who want to integrate and be part of their local community.  The President of the Ruta del Vino said that although we were "extranjeros" to him we were two more Jumillanos (or words to that effect - our Spanish is still far from fluent!)  Our Spanish friend Juana María had persuaded Pedro, the President, to let her say a few words too, which was very touching.  It was such a lovely day and we had a great time (once the ordeal of saying a few words of thanks in Spanish was over!)

We were presented with a beautiful watercolour of the Arco de San Roque painted by a local artist, which makes a lovely memento of a very special day.

I hope there is more good news from Spain to post here!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 10:03 AM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Well done Sue ;-))

Hopefully when we finally get to move out to Spain (god knows when now as despite winning our case against the Turkish builder, he's gone bust so it will take us about 5 - 8 years to recover financially) we can integrate as well ;-))

I guess we can't complain too much as we still have our small Spanish town house.....just wish we'd never invested significant funds in Turkey....hey ho you live and learn.

This message was last edited by JazII on 21/07/2010.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 12:24 PM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

Good news - Yes. We like to call it nice news.

Having said that this sort of thing happens quite often.

We have been away for a few days. Pepe The Spanish Gardener (could be a good book title!!) said he would water our garden.

As we drove up the road to our house yesterday we noticed 'black lines' across the garden. Oh no, we thought there had been a fire. Jumping out of the car expecting to see bad news, we found a black pipe irrugation system around the garden. Mystified we phoned Pepe. "No problem Senor Mick I put it in."   Why??       

He put it in to make it easier for himself instead of standing with the hose. Also he could switch it on or put it on a timer, go to another job and earn more money. come back later and turn it off.  How simple.

The cost to us Nothing.

Good News indeed also very nice.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 4:19 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 4:35 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Best news yet and I live in hope this is just the beginning.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 5:13 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Good news indeed, and I really hope the opinion gains momentum throughout Spain.

Any move against barbaric cruelty to animals for human pleasure? is a move in the right direction. All the tradition in the world can't justify the torment and suffering.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 5:17 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I hate to say "i told you so" but i did say the Spanish would sort it out in the end without our input.

I agree though a move forward.

There are many many changes happening in Spain, a lot of them happening under the general radar, the country is learning very quickly from old mistakes.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 5:38 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

It would be absolutely wonderful if the decision is made to ban bullfighting in Cataluña and I hope this is the start of a process to ban bullfighting across the country.

Although I really like the Spanish people I have met and the general way of life in Spain, I cannot for the life of me understand why such a barbaric and cruel activity exists.

During our trip to Costa Blanca in May, my soul mate and I travelled to Valencia for the day. Absolutely stunning city (reminded me of Paris). The downside for me was the bullring, located directly next to a very beautiful train station (fantastic architecture). The smell of death overwhelmed me when we walked past ..... horrible. It brought tears to my eyes as I abhore cruelty to animals

Agree with you Georgia, times are a-changing  (and I hope in respect of this, it happens sooner rather than later

Like 0      
28 Jul 2010 9:45 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

georgia

changes for the better without our input?, i'm not so sure?.  Obviously not just from the UK, but I think cruelty issues and corruption/justice issues for that matter, are a sign that younger Spanish people in particular are probably influenced to quite a degree by outside opinion, and not so much by old traditions,  and of course want to change the bad things that have done so much damage to Spains economy and reputation. For many people from Spain and the UK, that change is still far to slow and is still causing far more pain than it needs to. The Spanish government's recent refusal to even accept the pages and pages of evidence of fraud and corruption on a massive scale in the property industry as well as their own justice system, shows there is still a long long way to go.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2010 1:50 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Not wanting to be negative or to be discouraging....... but the Catalans have never been great fans of bullfighting, and I think that behind this move is just the greater desire to be set apart from 'Spanish'.  I am afraid from what I have seen, bull fighting is alive and well in Andalucia, and in spite of economic problems, the portable bull rings are still doing the rounds.  I do think though, that a lot of young Spaniards much prefer to watch the footie, or basketball and that has to be down to globalisation.    

Brian

Like 0      
28 Jul 2010 1:55 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Totally agree Bri.  The Catalans are only doing it to make themselves appear different to the Spanish.  It will also wind up the Spanish, which they like to do.

I agree, bullfighting is still massive in Andalucia and also Madrid and other parts of Spain.  The biggest celebrities in Spain are the bullfighters.  In the UK we have footballers' wives/WAGS.  In Spain the wannabe WAGs go after the bullfighters.  Just look at Belen Esteban.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts
The tooth fairy visits again - 2 posts
Eatigng out in Rhonda - 0 posts
Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 11 posts
Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010 - 7 posts
Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 427

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x