Good news in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2010 11:33 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Oh, and I forgot to say, thanks Julie Ann for the perspective on those job titles - it makes you think, not everything is as we're led to believe.

I'm off - I've got an appointment with a bottle of Torro Loco red wine.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 1:37 AM by anthomo16 Star rating. 104 posts Send private message

Redsam thank you soooooo much, yes things can and do go wrong in Spain, yes prices are high, yes there are shysters...but this also applies in every other country including England, BUT you can never take away the warmth of the people, their hilarious humour especially when trying out your spanish, I love them I have found more welcome here than wherever I have lived before..so viva espana

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 8:47 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

julie anne

my feelings also, and exactly the point I was trying to make. I feel we all want waste to be checked, and very high wages reduced for those who clearly don't deserve it, but when it comes to jobs, it's people's lives we are talking about not just numbers, and that's apart from the tax issue. Some of the 'non' jobs are probably more worthwhile than some pen pusher's sat on their fat ar*e's in offices earning a small fortune!!  The 'tonque-in-cheek' spin does set out to make it a joke, but there is another side.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 9:20 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Back to the thread title (más o menos) isn't this a bit like Plan E in Spain?  We've seen all sorts of new projects, which are creating work locally, some of which are bigger jobs than others.  Near us, they have dug up the cracked pavement near some old blocks of flats and replaced it with new paving stones.  They have built a new roundabout with a huge "sun dial" and added flashing lights for when it gets dark.  They have put slopes at the edge of pavements near crossings to make it easier for parents with prams and for pensioners with their shopping trolleys.  I think it is far better for people's self-esteem to give them a job to do rather than just handing out money and of course that experience should make it easier for them to get another job in the future.

Picking up on anthomo16´s comments.  This morning I was out walking our dog Lisa, and realised that she was not beside me.  Looking back, I spotted her playing with something so immediately called her over.  A guy out walking stopped and picked up what Lisa had been sniffing at, which I then realised was a fledgeling, and he carefully put it the other side of the fence.  Luckily the tiny bird seemed unharmed.  He then asked me if I was German (!!!) and when I told him I was English he shook my hand and started talking to me in English.  Apparently he worked in Kings Lynn for 3 years.  By the time we went our separate ways, I had a new best friend!  Definitely warm and friendly people here in Jumilla.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 10:04 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

suemac

that's a nice story about the chick. Good job it was your dog that spotted it and not a cat!

I agree about the work situation,  there must be an incentive to work. Being paid more to sit around just doesn't make sense and does nothing for self esteem, health or experience to help find other work. If you are young'ish and healthy, I think there's often work for those who want it enough?

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 10:14 AM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Bri-I watched the octopus this morning, it seemed a little uncertain and not quite convinced, it looked more like a Spain to win on penalties choice!! Paul, the octupus, has made 10 predictions on Germanys results and only been wrong once....when Spain beat Germany in Euro 2008, Paul picked Germany to win...perhaps Paul has seen the error of his ways!!

anthomo16-you are welcome and you echo my own feelings and expereinces.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 4:04 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

We could have done with that octopus in goal for england for the USA game - I wonder what he's doing during the euro 2012 qualifying period

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 4:27 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

I think he'll just be an over paid celebrity with no real will to win by then.

..............come to think of it!

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 10:30 PM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Great news Spain in the final. Sure to be some great parties tonight.

Good luck in the final.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2010 10:37 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

What an octopus!!!!  Where did they get him????

Brian

Like 0      
08 Jul 2010 1:12 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Will they use the Octopus to predict the final??????????? 

That should be interesting.

Pat 

Like 0      
08 Jul 2010 9:09 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Yes Spain in the final, I can see plenty of fiestas and Red Days coming up! 

Like 0      
08 Jul 2010 10:02 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Bri

Paul the Octopus was born in Weymouth, so should be ok to play for England in the Euro's and the next world cup if he's not been turned in to battered rings by then?. Look out Spain!

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 12:49 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Great news - Paul, the octupus, today picked Spain to win the World Cup on Sunday!!

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
09 Jul 2010 12:55 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

.........right then, I'll have sick squid on that

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 8:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

redsam- i am not in the uk, i'm still here! i am quite aware of and agree with what people enjoy about spain. i just don't go about acting like a stepford wife wearing rose coloured glasses, with my head in the sand.   i did my research, unlike most, it would seem, judging by the number of people who live as if they are still in uk, not legal in spain, not paying income tax on their pensions etc from uk. i do speak spanish;  unfortunately, what you read in theory is not carried out in practice.i have lived here 9 years and my opinions are based on my time here. no amount of sunshine or some cheery spanish folk or cheap veg( no cheaper or better than tescos uk) can make up for the problems and injustices some suffer.read the letter from a SPANIARD in this weeks costa blanca news letters page- it echoes what many ex pats think.

pitby-i have lived in singapore, and have seen mad driving, likewise in malta and india; that does not make appalling driving in spain acceptable.perhaps you have adopted the spanish way of driving...you know- non use of indicators,tailgating,not giving way, speeding as  the norm, the famous" parking in the most dangerous way competition",etc. if you think its delightful, no doubt an accident caused by some fool as mentioned before, maiming or killing  innocent passengers will not change your mind.

otivar- i have lived in other countries and i am realistic about spain- i love many of the things others love about it. when  some of the issues affect you, yu  will change your mind. i repeat-spain is good for holidays not for living in, and certainly not good for your stress levels!

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 9:23 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

camposol, last time I heard Singapore wasn't in the middle east!!!!!  We found the driving in Singapore very acceptable - which may, yet again, stress just how bad the driving is in the middle east!!

I haven't adopted any of the driving styles you refer to, but saw them every single time I got in the car in Dubai - as well as babies sitting on the laps of drivers whilst they were travelling along the highway!  Did you read about the 3yr old little boy who fell out of the backdoor of his parents 4x4 vehicle on the Abu Dhabi Road whilst travelling at about 150km, and not being strapped in, and was killed instantly by an oncoming car!!  One of many horrifying accidents that sticks in my mind - and then you have all the buses carrying labourers that overturned, caught on fire, killing hundreds .... I could go on!  Did you know Shkh Zayed highway has probably one of the highest fatality rates in the world per km?  Unfortunately, many of the accidents there don't get press coverage.

I reiterate, driving here is a pleasure compared to the UAE!  Ask my son - he hardly hears me cursing here!! 

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 9:35 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

pitby- i am just comparing driving in the rest of the world. there no way driving in spain can be described   as a delight or acceptable., unless you have a very low standard of driving!

Like 0      
10 Jul 2010 9:55 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Camposol, I have driven the length of the UK; from London to Munich and back; from Zurich to Nice and back; from Paris to Gibraltar and back; from Verona to Sorrento and back to Rome; not including the driving in Cairo and India (although I didn't drive in India, just a passenger!) or Thailand or Malaysia.

I am entitled to compare as I find and I find driving in Spain a delight!  In fact, even the crazy driving in Italy and even crazier driving in Egypt is better than driving in the UAE!  My opinion and I'm sticking to it, thank you!!  I love driving here!!

That doesn't mean I have a low standard of driving, it means that I find it pleasant driving here compared to what I have been used to over the last thirty years of driving!  Not for you to comment on my driving standard really! 

Like 0      
11 Jul 2010 8:44 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Hi, friends always ask me if the motorists in Spain drive like nutters, and I have to say that in my experience, the answer is no. Our house is in a village 15 mins inland, and on our trips to the coast and back, I'm often frustrated at how slow the locals drive. It's the complete opposite to what I was led to expect. Even on the motorway along the coast they are ok, although it gets a bit tense near Malaga because of the volumes and number of junctions joining.

Contrast that to the UK where people pull out of junctions in front of me without looking, the boy racers coming round corners well over the central line etc etc and I have to say theres not much in it, but I find the idea of bad drivers in Spain (at least my part) is just a cliche. Now drivers in Paris - oh my god - think wacky racers with their eyes shut.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts
The tooth fairy visits again - 2 posts
Eatigng out in Rhonda - 0 posts
Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 11 posts
Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010 - 7 posts
Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 427

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x