Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Just a warning that there will be a public sector strike in Spain on 8th June.  More details here.

There is talk that it could become a general strike.  More info here.  I'm not really sure anyone would notice if the public sector went on strike in Spain, but a general strike is a different matter. 

Lets hope it doesn't turn nasty like it did in Greece recently.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2010 2:00 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Just a reminder about the strike tomorrow.  It looks like it hasn't turned in to a general strike, but I would imagine there will still be a lot of disruption.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 1:36 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I didn't notice much difference yesterday.  My local council gym was closed last night.  that was the only disruption for me personally.  I'm presuming you don't get paid if you go on strike?  If that is the case, maybe we should encourage the public sector wasters to go on strike for a month or two.  It will help reduce the deficit and Spain would probably fuction just as well without them.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 2:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It could not only reduce the deficit, but help private businesses too. I wonder which crazy official decided that digging up Calle San Miguel (the famous pedestrian shopping street) in Torremolinos just as the tourists start to arrive would be a good idea? The shop and cafe owners must be tearing their hair out after struggling to survive the winter, only to see the start of the tourist season disrupted. Sheer madness.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 2:42 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I agree with both of you!

Didn't notice anything different, other than the roads were much quieter around Sabinillas!!?!?!?!?!!

Maybe the Spanish have taken a leaf out of the bods in Devon, as they always, and I mean always, waited for a Bank Holiday, Easter, Half Term and then the start of the Summer Season to start digging up roads and causing traffic chaos!

Completely and utterly crazy!!!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 4:41 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

We went to Malaga yesterday and happened on several 1000 strikers parading through the city centre. They were making a lot of noise but the van loads of police in riot gear following them seemed more menacing. Anyway a good time seems to have been had by all judging by the high spirits of some of the demonstrators we encountered in a bar later in the afternoon

David

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 6:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

(IMHO) most Spaniards are far more interested in making a lot of noise than almost anything else - including earning a living. I very much doubt any of the "protesters" really knew what they were striking for, but the opportunity to make a racket would have been too good to pass up.......

I am largely ignorant of employment law in Spain (other than being aware that it favours the employee) but I recently heard (unsubstantiated - maybe someone else here knows more detail?) that apart from getting paid by the govt. for making babies, new parents are entitled to some sort of extended leave, and also if you get married you are entitled to 12 additional days vacation. Like I say, unconfirmed by reliable sources, this may have originated from whatever the Spanish equivalent of the Daily Wail is, but if there's some truth behind it, it's a wonder anything ever gets done here. Some would argue nothing ever does get done....

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Jun 2010 8:05 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Holidays in Spain are usually 38 days a year (30 days plus the bank holidays).  UK is 20 days plus the bank holidays (only recently, though, as the law said it was 20 days including bank holidays).  That means the Spanish get 6 weeks holiday a year as opposed to 4 in the UK (this usually goes up the more time you put in but generally (unless you're a public employee or politician) doesn't stretch to more than 5 weeks a year.)

However, I had an attachment to the USA some years ago.  Americans get NO holiday entitlement by law and it all depends on your contract.  After a year, the normal amount is 1 to 2 weeks a year.  Americans do not tend to go away for a week or two like us but normally take long weekends to stretch it out.  It is often said an American won't take a week off or his boss will find out how little he does!  Funny as that sounds, I did meet an American on a cruise who was having his first complete week off for 10 years and he said he daren't take two weeks off as, if his boss found he could do without him for 2 weeks, he would do without him forever.  They don't even get public holidays as a paid entitlement.  The average time off in USA is 14 days plus 1 public holiday. In fact, 1 in 4 Americans get no paid holidays or bank holidays.  Hence you will find Americans filling up their weekends and don't sit around stagnating (probably the wrong word) like we do in UK.  It was the norm for guys I was working with in DC to get a plane somewhere on Friday evening (Las Vegas and Cancun seemed the favourites) and then come back again on Sunday.  Three people I worked with had cabins in Connecticut or Virginia which they used to drive to straight after work.  Friday was the only day I saw them knock off at 5 o'clock as they were mostly at their desks til gone 8pm.  Considering they started at 7 in the morning it made a long week. 

Plus, they all had to pay into a welfare scheme (usually this was paid by their employers in the form of a tax along with medical and dental insurance, hence the relatively lower pay in the States) but, if they lost their jobs, they only got unemployment benefit until the amount they had paid in was used up, usually for a maximum of 26 weeks and only if you lost your job due to redundancy or "lack of work".

On the other hand, Brazilians get 6 weeks statutory holidays a year plus 12 days public holidays so 42 days in all. 

However, probably a good idea to get back on thread (sorry for the drift) the UK news had an item on the strike in Spain.  In it, they quoted a primary school teacher as receiving £945 a month take home pay.  I know the NI equivalent in Spain is rather high but this amount seemed rather low.  This was after a recent 7% cut in pay.  Judging by the cost of telephones/broadband and other services in Spain, makes you wonder how they can afford to maintain a decent lifestyle.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts
Bank Guarantee Success - Medina Elvira Suites - Thanks Maria and Team! - 4 posts
Can a Licence of First Occupation be revoked? - 0 posts
Flamenco Shoes for a Newborn? - 6 posts
Day Trip to Tangier, Morocco - 7 posts
Technical query - is it possible to attach a sound file to a post? - 0 posts
guitarist and 2 backing singers needed - 0 posts
San Javier 2010 Jazz, Soul & Blues Festival - 15 posts
finca woking partner wanted - 0 posts
Advertising when selling - 2 posts
ADVICE NEEDED - Martinsa Fadesa - forced completion - 2 posts
painting tutors required - 2 posts
Advice/info, please. - 7 posts
Watchdog on Thursday 3rd June: demolitions in Spain, at 8pm UK/9pm Spain - 17 posts
Hire Car - Warning Triangle, Jackets and First Aid Box - 20 posts
Mr Singh's - Rojales - 3 posts
Reputable car dealers in Valencia - 7 posts
Taking a bank to court - 10 posts
Hi Im JO - 1 posts
Endesa news - 6 posts
BBC One HD Coming soon....to digital satellite - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x