Just curious.....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 May 2010 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

When I scan the latest threads to see if there's anything interesting, I'm always amazed at how many views there have been of threads with titles that tell you nothing at all of the subject. Not to say I don't sometimes have a curious peek myself - at which point I'm also surprised at how many replies there are to questions such as "I need to buy a car, can anyone help?" and "how do I get to Gibraltar?"

So, apart from monitoring how many people view this pointless thread, I'd also like to know, how long is a piece of Spanish string please?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 May 2010 1:11 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Probably just as long as an English piece of string Roberto!!...........

.........just that there will be more words to explain the theory if you use Spanish!! 

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 May 2010 1:31 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Twice its length in half.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
03 May 2010 2:27 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

and measured in metric inches...or about as long as a Spanish 'uno momento...'

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 May 2010 2:33 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I'm awake TOO! 

Like 0      
03 May 2010 12:35 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

One and half times as long (taking into account the hidden half.......)

Like 0      
03 May 2010 5:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Delighted to see 162 people have viewed this since my moment of boredom last night, and also that the replies so far have been in the spirit that I intended (half expected to get ticked off for being facetious) so please feel free to add your comments and keep this pointless thread at the top of the message boards!

I suspect that Spanish string should adhere to EU directives on acceptable length, but does it?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:01 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Yup Roberto... EU directives probably dictate the length and width of any string thread !!!!

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I suspect that Spanish string should adhere to EU directives on acceptable length, but does it?

Only if the local mayor gives his agreement.  Even then, the provincial government will come in after 5 years and declare it illegal and the string will have to be removed or demolished.  The local MEP will then brand this a disgrace but will be ignored by all and sundry, as usual.

Expats having bits of string within 100 feet of the beach will start worrying and fill up chat sites about it.

Normansands will start a thread (geddit?) on is your string safe in Spain now?

Tish will reply that the freedom to have any length of string in England is perfectly acceptable as you can trust the solicitors there.

Georgia will try and sell you a two tier piece of string in a legal location.

Morerosado will post 15 pictures of various sized bits of string, some with fireworks exploding behind them.

Camposol will complain that the British are leaving bits of string all over the place and not declaring them to the authorities.

Technoape will tell you all how his bit of string is far stronger than anything he had in UK and, anyway, it's much more relaxing looking at a piece of string in the sunshine and has less chance of being stolen or vandalised than it would have in Devon.

Max Kite will give you the name of at least 3 banks that will give you a mortgage to buy your own piece of string whilst pointing out that the value of it will go down 90% the day after you bought it.

Finally, ads will come on and tell you all how many abandoned pieces of string are being left around thus causing the Spanish national debt to rise as no one is paying SUMA on it and Goodstitch will remind you all that the bank guarantee you got on the piece of string is worthless when the newsagent you bought it from goes bust.

Oh, and I'll tell you all how you can register your piece of string with the local medical centre.

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:07 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

heehee VERY clever Bobaol ...... I just hope everyone doesnt tie themselves up in knots trying to answer you!!! (Im not even gonna try .... Id end up hanging myself)

(edited cos I dont like spelling mistakes .... wheres that piece of string???)

This message was last edited by wend691 on 03/05/2010.

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:16 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

But the big question must be (in my opinion!), will I have to pay more for my bit of string in England or Spain?

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:17 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Brilliant!

BOBAOL I wish you would put your obvious analytical talent to better use and formulate a piece of string that meets everyone's approval.  Now there's a challenge...........

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:24 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Febe - defo costs more for string with EU specifications. IVA would apply and if you make something with the aforementioned piece of string without getting approval from the Town Hall to start with... well .... they would get the scissors out and cut it up and charge you for the priveledge. However, all that said, I  think Id buy my overpriced ball of string in Spain and make something with it in the Sunshine!! ( I know ... Im being silly lol )

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:39 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Considering the cost of string, I've just had a good rummage around and found a bit. It's aporx. 10'' 3grms and 5.43pm long. It's a grubby white colour, having been used in the past to tie balloons to the gate post (I no longer do this, as it is considered cruel) So my question is, would this piece of string be legal to use in Spain? And do I need to get it chipped?

Regards, Febe

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:43 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Does it have a passport and has it got residencia?

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:57 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Kerensun,

No, but it is a rescue piece of string. I got it from the southern branch of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to String. So I don't feel too bad about it not having reidencia, so many other Brits run around with non residencia string I did'nt think it mattered!

Like 0      
03 May 2010 6:59 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

But it needs some kind of recognition or it will always feel a sense of not belonging won't it??

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
03 May 2010 7:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bobaol said Morerosado will post 15 pictures of various sized bits of string, some with fireworks exploding behind them. Now I KNOW I'm famous!

Like 0      
03 May 2010 7:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

The String for Presidente!

Like 0      
03 May 2010 7:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Schools in/around Manilva - 0 posts
Bank charges - 4 posts
i need to swap my rhd for lhd. - 1 posts
Greece seals rescue deal with EU and IMF - 2 posts
Bus trips to Gibraltar - 14 posts
does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts
Hola from Madrid - 9 posts
buyer or seller to pay yearly IBI? - 1 posts
Sofa shop/warehouse - 3 posts
selling without an agent or solicitor - 2 posts
Appliances - 5 posts
Looking for Dave in Dolores in the orange grove - 3 posts
Happy May Day, what do YOU remember about your childhood days - 0 posts
Good restuarants in Mazarron and Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts
Rebooking on Monarch (after the volcano) - 4 posts
Sony SET TV on TDT gone. - 8 posts
Deeds for properties on Camposol - 12 posts
Fridge with Small Separate Top Freezer - Aspes - 0 posts
OK, own up, who posts from work? :-)))))))))) - 19 posts
And we thought the spanish where Bad Drivers! - 3 posts
La Renta Tax - 0 posts
CHARO, Formentera del Segura - 13 posts
Friday Golf Society - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 139

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x