The Market - Bottomed Or still more to come???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 May 2007 8:40 AM by Seb141 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

OK Folks

All chat seems to be about mainland Spain.

I am considering an apartment in Mallorca, can anyone give advise on property prices on the island, someone told me recently (connected to the Agents of course !!) they are generally higher than on the mainland and that the sales slump has not effected Mallorca as much as the rest of Spain, sounds like a sales pitch to me?

Seb

Like 0      
09 May 2007 4:05 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I refuse to answer on the grounds I may incriminate myself!!! 

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 May 2007 5:34 PM by Seb141 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Rikky

What exactly is it you do not want to respond to, you are starting to worry me????

Seb

Like 0      
09 May 2007 5:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
I think the point she is trying to make is that it is always a buyer beware situation - all of Spain including the islands is subject to any external foces the market has imposed on it such as over supply rising interest rates etc - agents wherever they are will tell you (forum members excluded) generally what you want to hear in order to secure a sale.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
09 May 2007 6:22 PM by Seb141 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Points taken, can I then assume that all the issues raised on these pages are as relevant to Mallorca as mainland Spain?? are there any special issues with Mallorca as opposed to Spain?

If you had a choise Smiley would you buy on the mainland or in Mallorca, you obivously know your stuff so shoot from the hip!!!

Seb

Like 0      
09 May 2007 6:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Seb, I can't really give any kind of qualified opinion on this, but I think Smiley is probably right that the islands are no different from the mainland when talking about the market in general. Having said that, it is perhaps possible that there are factors specific to the islands which could create a slightly different situation there.

I believe Mallorca has had relatively strict building regulations in place for some time now, and I don't know that there is the same kind of over-supply there as on the Costas. I may be wrong about that so don't quote me. On the other hand, the real estate market on Mallorca has for years been heavily influenced by Germans, and with their economy in the doldrums, it may be that demand has dropped off significantly also. So I guess one would cancel the other out?

Although you have not said so in your other posts elsewhere, I suspect that you are looking for a long term investment primarily for your own use? If this is the case, you should not worry too much about the relative state of the market. More important to be happy with your choice of property & location. Prices can vary widely throughout Spain anyway, so as long as you are not paying obviously more than for similar properties in the same area, trying to compare with other areas may just serve to confuse you further. If you want to, however, have a look at www.kyero.com and see how much a similar property would cost elsewhere in Spain. My guess is you will find it similar on the Costa del Sol, cheaper on the Costa Blanca (except Benidorm etc.) and much cheaper in Extremadura! 

My own experience of living on Mallorca is that certainly many things are slightly dearer than the mainland, supposedly on account of them having to be "shipped" in. Second hand cars in particular tend to be much more expensive, and in far shorter supply, therefore far less choice. They do tend to have very low mileage though!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 May 2007 6:45 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, slapped a 40% tax on second homes for German nationals.  This could be a big reason why the Germans are moving out of Mallorca and why so many properties suddenly came on the market.  In Northern Italy, a favourite haunt for Germans both as second homes and holiday, has more property on the market now than any time in the past.  (Hope Gordon's not reading this),

Like 0      
09 May 2007 6:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I read about this 40% tax elsewhere - probably one of your posts! 40% of what, exactly, and is this legal under EU legislation?

Sorry if I'm sending another thread off topic

That would certainly have a big impact on the Mallorcan market, but I believe German is still the official language?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
10 May 2007 1:54 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
bobaol - You can bet your last penny that His Gordonness will do exactly the same thing. He has nothing to lose, just instruct his new "yes man" chancellor to get on with it. Think of all those millions that go abroad when yet another poor UK citizen is hounded out of the country due to excessive taxation. Now he can stop them doing it by taxing them more!!!!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
13 May 2007 11:19 PM by Telemachus Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Over the last week or so there has been alot of coverage in the UK press on the possibility of a property crash in Spain, particularly on the Costas.

There are various ways of looking at it.

1. We've all heard this before in the UK and it's turned out to be a load of rubbish.
  2. So what, I've got the dream house I want, I'll weather the storm and enjoy the sun.
  3. For investors it's bad news unless of course they haven't parted with cash yet in which case they'll buy when the market bottoms and gain big time when it goes up again. But then of course timing is crucial.
  4. Panic stations

It may of course all be rubbish but there are to facts worth noting. Firstly some major Spanish developers saw there shares crash on the Madrid Stock Exchange and secondly we all know that there are way to many villas and apartments chasing too few expats. So may be it is indeed time for market forces to restore the balance.

One possible ray of hope lies in the nouveau riche Spaniards themselves investing in the Costas thereby filling the gap in the market whilst at the same time restoring a cultural balance by introducing some actual Spaniards back to the Costas. So maybe it might all be for the best anyway.

Either way here is an example of an article that ran in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago.

... Families with holiday homes in Spain have been warned that a sharp fall in house prices could be just around the corner.

The caution was issued as the value of property companies slumped by up to 20 per cent on the Madrid stock exchange.

On Tuesday, the IBEX-35 dropped by up to 3.5 per cent as speculation grew about the financial difficulties of a major holiday-home developer. It later rallied slightly.

Up to 500,000 Britons have either moved to Spain or own a second home there. Another 20,000 are expected to join them this year. They outnumber any other foreign nationals.

The past eight years has seen a 150 per cent rise in Spanish house prices. Many Britons, who typically buy apartments on the coast near golf courses, have doubled their money.

But experts fear the housing boom could be over. They blame excessive housebuilding in recent years as apartment blocks have sprouted by the hundred along the coast and inland.

Diana Choyleva, a director of economic experts Lombard Street Research, said: "This is not good news for UK investors in Spain. The problem is in supply. We have had over-investment on a gigantic scale and it has already started a slow-down in house price growth...

This message was last edited by Telemachus on 5/13/2007.

Like 0      
16 May 2007 1:15 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

In todays Telegraph, what next!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/05/16/cnspain16.xml

Like 0      
16 May 2007 2:38 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi All,

This is getting so tedious now!!!!!

The only people all this info will affect is investors.

In all my time as an agent here the percentage of investors that i have sold to is about 5%.

The majority of our clientele are normal working class people that want a better life for them their children or for their retirement.

You cannot put a price on quality of life,standard of living and a longer life expectancy.

Ask yourself when you bought your last house in the UK did you consider market forces or was it because you liked the house and the area??!

Spain is a long term market now and no longer the quick buck mentality,but it will give you a lovely lifestyle.

I have sat through all the documentaries of the last few weeks regarding the problems the uk has at the moment with crime,immigration,race issues and a general downturn in the social standards,if you beleived all of that there would be a very large bang as the last one out shut the door and turned the lights out.!

You maybe think as an agent i am biased and this is purely a pr exercise,but i am very proud of my adopted home,there are so many more positives than negatives to be had here if i didnt beleive that i could not do my job.

The market wil rise and fall and rise and fall again in all probability,but the sun will still shine,the people will still be friendly you can still let your children have room to breathe and you can retire and live on your pension in a country that respects the young and elderly above all else.

My house may well drop a few euros for the time being but i guarantee i will still be smiling.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
16 May 2007 2:59 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Hear hear....Totally agree 100% with all of that georgia...well said

Have you been rehearsing that for BIG TREV??

Like 0      
16 May 2007 3:08 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Well stated, Georgia!!

Like 0      
16 May 2007 3:12 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Georgia.       Although I dont listen to what a lot of the agents say as some have there heads in the clouds and talk alot of bulls---------. you hit it right on the spot about the market and living in in Spain  its only going to affect the get rich bunch , the owners now it will make no difference to them whatever the prices do .  Regards  Rosi n

Like 0      
16 May 2007 3:19 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Thanks Pitby-all the doom and gloom gets up my nose a bit!!!!

Gillespie-had it all written down on the back of my hand!

Spoke to the people concerned yesterday(put my posh voice on)i think!

Topping up my tan in anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
16 May 2007 3:22 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Sorry rosi n,you crept in while i was posting,glad there are some people out there who share the same opinion.

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
16 May 2007 11:17 PM by Telemachus Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Point taken Georgia.

Nevertheless I would imagine that there are alot of expats in Spain (working class, middle class - makes no difference) who have, as you say, bought without the merest thought if investment in mind but still would find themselves compromised by a collapse in the market. Not just a dip, but the possibility of a collapse.

We all saw it happen in the UK in the early 90's. Now although that period probably broke some people it certainly affected a whole lot more in as much as their options dramatically shrunk. They were lumbered and couldn't move on until the market eventually started to rise again years later.

For every expat who make their dream come true in Spain, there is atleast one who fails. These people who fail will nearly always need the option to realise the value of the villa to the max if they have a chance of starting again in the UK.

It is this large group life-changers who would come a cropper in the event of a collapse.

That said there is probably a far greater chance of people in the UK going belly up courtesy of Gordon Brown. So ignore all of the above, I'm on my way to Malaga!

Like 0      
17 May 2007 12:11 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Having lived and lost through the late 80's and early 90's collapse in the UK, the big big difference is here the Spanish themsleves are stable - and are buying!

Its the short term speculators who are losing out, not the mid to long termers who do not put a price on the lifestyle and freedom enjoyed here!

All looking good for the 28th guys!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 May 2007 12:23 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
venti ocho de Mayo - "Viva la revolucion"!!!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

UK qualified teachers in Spain - 6 posts
compensation re builders late completion - 40 posts
Estate Agent Shoots Himself!! - 10 posts
Jay White - 3 posts
Invitation to attend meeting of administrators - 8 posts
contract overdue - 2 posts
Licenses - 8 posts
bank guarantees - 14 posts
Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!! - 8 posts
Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 152

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x