Why does eveyone want to sue me?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I'm having a bad day today!  I've had three threats today that I'm going to be sued by all the best lawyers around because of comments on this site (yes, all agent threats).  I won't say who they are at this stage but if they upset me any more I may just publish their details.  Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

In all, over the past 12 months we have been threatened with being sued about 15 times, but I seem to have been able to handle it so far.  It seems to be getting a bit heavier now....

The options seem to be:

1. Ignore them and hope they'll go away

2. Get a good lawyer and hope they don't charge me for the service

3. Shut down the website

4. Leave the country

I'm going with option 1 at the moment....

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
15 Feb 2007 11:14 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

HI JUSTIN,

WHAT CAN THEY DO? DIDDLY. i'VE BEEN AN ESTATE AGENT FOR TWENTY YEARS AND SEEN THEM COME AND GO. IF PEOPLE EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS THEN THEY ARE ENTITLED TO. I'D RATHER KNOW IF I WASN'T GIVING A GOOD SERVICE. IF THEY CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN. WHEN WE WERE FIRST LOOKING FOR A PROPERTY WE WENT ON AN INSPECTION TRIP (NO NAMES) I THOUGHT IT WAS HILARIOUS. IF ONLY THE UK AGENT, WHO WAS A SUB AGENT, A BIT LIKE AVON I THINK (NO OFFENCE TO AVON I LOVE THEIR BUBBLY BATH) HAD LISTENED TO WHERE AND WHAT I WANTED WE WOULD HAVE FOUND SOONER AND THEY WOULD HAVE HAD A SALE. HOWEVER THEY KEPT INSISTING I WOULD NEVER FIND A PROPERTY WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF THE BEACH AS EVERYONE THERE ALWAYS DRIVES. I DID FIND ONE UNDER MY OWN RESEARCH 10 MINS WALK TO BEACH (5 MINS IF YOU RUN). THIS FORUM IS GREAT AND THE PEOPLE MAKE ME LAUGH. I PUT UP WITH OTHER ESTATE AGENTS TOUTING MY BOARDS AND SUCH LIKE BUT THERE ARE SHARKS IN THE PROFESSION THAT GIVE US A BAD NAME BUT THAT'S LIFE.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2007 11:21 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2007 11:51 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Please don't go for option 3.

We love this site and it has helped us throu some really bad times buying our apartment and getting the right advice.

It's  the estate agents who must be tearing their hair out  at the bad publicity.

The first agents we went out to view  with ( I will not name them, but they are on the board a lot at the minute, their name starts with A,  we didn't buy throu them, as we were told if we bought at Caseres (not sure if that's spelt right) we could expect 1200 eruos per week for rental on a two bedroom apartment,  we went for a four day trip out in CDS with them and didn;t buy, on our last day our agent who looked after us for the four days said he couldn't pick us up to take us to the airport as he had to go for his chemotherapy that morning so he would send a taxi for us, we felt really sorry for him, but I couldn't understand why he was buying two more penthouses on this apartment,  and the one he showed us was one of the last two, after reading lots of scams on this site, I wonder was this one of them, I hope not as the guy was really nice.

When we got back the firm rang us to see what we thought of the trip, and when I mentioned about this guy having cancer, they didn't know what I was talking about, they didn't even know their office had put together and paid 7000 euros for some of his treatment.

I have learnt lots with this site and just wish I had known about it before we bought.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 12:11 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Leema you may not be as gullible as you thought - what was the guys name? There was a guy at an agent (big company) that starts with the letter A and then two further words something about what you do when you sleep. Very nice guy who was undergoing the treatment you refer to so it is conceivable that you have not been taken in. The fact that they did not know in the office wouldnt necessarily surprise me when half the time companies dont know what their clients are doing - to be honest they guy was not the type of guy to advertise what was happening in his life to all and sundry - not especially secretive about it but likewise not shoutng it from the rooftops. As to whether he was buying two penthouses at Casares I could not say but if we are talking about the same`person chemo was cetainly featuring in his life.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 12:13 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Sorry meant to say Option 1 definitely first choice the views expressed are those of the forum members arent they? Your views arent made known to the site or to forum members - even on a one to one chat (snigger).

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 12:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Stick with option 1. They cant do anything and you are just providing an open board anyway - they are not your opinions. Im not sure if there is a libel law in spain anyway!

They would have to prove you were wrong - and I doubt any of them can.

Speaking for the smaller nice agents, we love this forum as it balances the crap out there put about by the bigger nasty swimming things with fins on their backs who can afford to push such garbage!

Anyway - can always delete things if it get too bad Justin. Hang in there!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 12:38 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Option 1.

Forums are there for people to express their opinions (be they good or bad), and I have seen worse things posted on other forums. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
As Rixxy said, you have the power to delete any really inappropriate opinions expressed.

Keep up the good work. The information on this site will be invaluable to me when I can finally buy my own house (I only own an office at the moment).

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 3:00 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
This may not help!!! The options seem to be: 1. Ignore them and hope they'll go away SPANISH PROPERTY AGENTS DON´T GO AWAY, YOU STAND A BETTER CHANCE OF HAVING YOUR NAME REMOVED FROM THE READERS DIGEST MAILING LIST!! 2. Get a good lawyer and hope they don't charge me for the service THIS OBVIOUSLY IS NOT AN OPTION AS THE WORDS GOOD AND LAWYER ARE AN OXYMORON SOMETHING AKIN TO MILITARY AND INTELLIGENCE 3. Shut down the website BETTER TO SELL IT TO GOOGLE FOR TRILLIONS OF $$$$$ 4. Leave the country ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE SOLD YOU SITE TO GOOGLE, THEN YOU COULD BUY YOUR OWN COUNTRY AND WE COULD ALL COME AND LIVE WITH YOU RENT FREE!! I'm going with option 1 at the moment....

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 4:32 PM by lewjan62 Star rating in West Sussex / Casare.... 134 posts Send private message

lewjan62´s avatar

definitely option 1 Justin. If these guys (or gals) don't like what is being said, too bad. If the service they supplied was flawless, or something close to it,  then this forum would not be full of unhappy people's opinions.  And it is our opinion not yours that is expressed.

And Gillespie, your interpretaion of the options made me chuckle, thank you!!

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 5:14 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 6:52 PM by Juan Pánzon Star rating in Marbella. 156 posts Send private message

Juan Pánzon´s avatar

So far I think the rapport between forum members is always in a good, civil maner.... people tends not to mention names and so It is a respectful forum. We even exchange irony always in a good manner.....

However.. there are some threads that need deffinitely a broom.... for example that one mentioning somebody by it name and bewaring people on its tittle.....  no proof, no further detail...... just drop the bomb and then fled...  it is just like coming to a bar and say     " the wife of ...... is a whore"   without detail or explanation...... it is to the accuser to prove the case.... and the accussed can defend himself.. isn´t that chivalry?  Even Charles Manson had "rights" until sentenced... Some people may use your site as a mean of vengeance and that may bring you nuisances...

Justin I would consult a Lawyer and see what type of "descendant responsability" may arise from some posts..... I know of one in Marbella that made a Master in Madrid on E-commerce and Inet related law..... I think she will listen to you.... for free.... we are talking about a "Lady".... in a world of few knights..

Cheers,

Juan

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 7:32 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Crikey Justin,

Let's just ignore them!

If they do sue, they will have to sue us all, it's not you posting the comments after all. So we will be beind you 100%

I could sell some more guides to pay your bail money.................

Anyway, watch this space as I may be doing some slag*ing off of a big website soon. The owner is blocking my posts about selling the guide to raise money for Emma's fund.

He might want to sue you also, so add him to the list!

Don't worry, porridge in Spain, is lovely..............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 7:35 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And its warm in the exercise yard 

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 7:39 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Hey Justin:

Just read on this. Just ignore them.  And ask for legal help to us if you need it.... anytime. Come on!!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 11:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Justin, put it down to professional jealousy. Your punters love what you do. If theirs sometimes don't feel the same way about them, they should be looking at themselves. And if they believe any comments posted here (or elsewhere) are unjustified, then they should do the right thing and respond in a dignified manner in the forum for all to see that they at least have some vestige of professionalism about them, instead of acting like pathetic cowards. And perhaps they should also take a look at the Happy Stories thread to figure out what they're doing wrong.

Option 1.

(and failing that, send Janice round!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 11:42 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Justin, genuine people are right behind you. Stick with option 1. without this forum we would have thrown in the towel on our venture. Thanks for all you do and have done.

Keep up the good work

John and Trish x

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 11:52 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Lets' sue some other site owner, go see my thread: Spanish taxes.......Help swell Emma's fund....I have my hackles up!

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 2/16/2007.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 2:00 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 9:06 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I suppose I should make you option 5 found then...

Option 5:  Send JeanSis round

Thanks for all comments by the way, some interesting responses there.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts
Agents And Property Valuations Done Properly - 17 posts
A smiley for Smiley - 17 posts
How long is an Account Number ? - 9 posts
Building and Contents Insurance - 3 posts
Club Security Vacancy Wanted - 3 posts
Electricity Voltage - 7 posts
Could you support the "Red Arrows"? - 44 posts
VPO Can anyone Advise - 19 posts
Driving routes through France and Spain - 36 posts
We want your happy stories ONLY - 359 posts
Benahavis - 3rd attempt - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x