Focus,ITV1,February 13th

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Did anyone see this programme?  We are in the process of buying a Spanish property and this horror story has prompted my wife to ask whether we can pull out as she no longer feels that we will be welcome.

The programme revolved around medical care and resale values, but mainly it seemed to be attempting to highlight xenophobic attitudes of the Spanish because apparently we Brits are overstreaching their health service.  It was the usual load of half truths and misrepresentations that UK television now seems to be peddling as a "warning" to senior citizens after years of Home in the Sun and other such banal programming extolling the virtues of buying abroad.

One issue was that the Spanish won't speak English (particularly in hospitals it seems) and why should they?  It is probably true that the Spanish prefer to speak their own language and I for one am doing my best to learn it in order that I should not appear the typical overbearing Brit holiday maker in the community we are joining.  I am slow, but Spanish is a fascinating language of great distinction and history and I can't think of a better compliment to my future hosts.  Admittedly, medical terms are going to be a challenge, but hopefully if the doctor/nurse perhaps realises that I am trying they might even attempt to help me out with the technical bits if they can.

It is probably true that the EU makes it far from easy moving between member states and claiming healthcare, but if we become residents the NHS pays Spain to take care of us and as one of the few nations that is a net contributor to the EU budget, I bet the UK taxpayer has paid for some of the nice new hospitals anyway.

My opinion is that our reviled Prime Minister and his croney Government, having made our home nation as unpleasant for us as possible so that we leave, now want to save themselves the expense of paying out for the care that we have been paying in for all our lives.  Watch out for your pensions next folks!

Anyhow, having got that off my chest, can anyone write a few kind words to reassure my wife that life on the Costa Blanca can be pleasant, safe and that she will not be spat at in the streets by the Spanish as she walks by, or turned away from the local hospital if in need of medical care?

Mike

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 6:58 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You don't appear to have had many replies to this post.

I can assure you that life on the Costa Blanca is very pleasant indeed and, although I am only a (fairly frequent) visitor, I find the people extremely friendly and welcoming.  They particularly like it when you try to speak Spanish and I have never had any problems with tradesmen, professionals or the general public, apart from a building developer but that's another story.

On another forum for the Costa Blanca, there are many stories of people being treated superbly by the health authorities.  The only time I have had deailings with the health services was particularly inspiring.  I had lent my flat out to one of my workmates over Christmas a couple of years ago.  She fell down some stairs and broke her arm.  A taxi driver took her to Orihuela hospital (the new one at Torrevieja had not yet been built).  She was seen immediately, x-rayed (she tells me by an extremely good looking doctor) and put in plaster within an hour of arriving.  Even though she had travel insurance, no charge was made for any of this (except the taxi) and she had nothing but praise for the service she received.  As she is a nurse, she should know!!  Plus she speaks not a word of Spanish.

Also look at the thread under Health in Spain/UK.  If you live in the Valencia region (which goes all the way down to the Murcia region) you are entitled to free health care.  Just like in UK, some of the surgeries are not aware of this and it causes confusion, exactly the same as the confusion caused in UK GP surgeries when someone from abroad turns up.  Get your paperwork in order, contact a local surgery for an SIP (health application form and peculiar to the Costa Blanca/Valencia region) and you will get a health card which you sometimes have to renew each year.  If the surgery knows nothing about it, try somewhere else. 

We are moving to the CB permanently in a couple of years if the problems with builders is solved by then.  Both my wife and I are looking forward to it immensely as we absolutely love the area and take the sob stories with a large pinch of salt.   Only those who have had problems (which are bound to occur) post the bad stories.  Even if you look at a thread where people have had dealings with the same people you will find differing experiences.

And remember, having a TV programme called "everything fine for ex-pats" wouldn't drag in the viewers.  Considering that almost a million Brits now live in Spain, they must have trawled the archives for the 5 problems they dragged up.

Enjoy!!!

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 8:17 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 8:36 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yes, your EHIC covers you for holidays.  Its only when you take up residency you need the SIP. 

As I've intimated, if you get shrugs and blank looks from a doctors surgery, go somewhere else.  As you've read on another site, lots of people have no problem getting the SIP but this would appear to be from surgeries who are used to the system.  I would imagine it's easier to change doctors rather than explain your entitlement, unless you have a really good knowledge of Spanish and a copy of the CB News under your arm.

I will also keep taking out travel insurance for my visits as it will give me the option to go private.  The cost of annual insurance is so cheap that it's well worth it.  As we travel to the Caribbean or the States every year as well as Spain 3 or 4 times a year, £67 for the two of us is money well spent.  Touch wood, haven't had to use it yet but did use it for my grandson in Disneyworld a few years back when he was 5 and jumped into a swimming pool backwards without seeing the concrete lip round the pool.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 8:59 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2007 4:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hello everybody!

Just a quick point, I know we already established that the "system" varies from one part of Spain to another (e.g. SIP card specific to Valenciana) and that entitlement varies according to residency status, age etc. Bob suggested that if the first surgery you try is not receptive, try another. My experience, as a resident on CDS, is that you don't generally have a choice. At least in my part of the world, your GP is determined by your address. When we moved literally across the road a couple of years back, we found we were now in the catchment area of the other one of two local surgeries. We said we would prefer if poss. to stay with our existing GP. This was allowed since we were already on his list, but we were advised that we would not be entitled to house calls because we were now out of his area! We figured if we are ever too sick to get to the surgery, we'll probably be calling an ambulance, so not a problem.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Feb 2007 4:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, Roberto, but are you talking of UK or the CDS with catchment areas?  I know in UK GPs are pretty strict with the areas but I didn't realise it was like that in Spain.  If you can't change GPs, you need to know the exact regulations in your area and I'm afraid I have no idea what these are on the CDS.  I do know that you are entitled to free medical treatment as a resident once you reach retirement age (65 men, 60 women). 

Someone in Torrevieja told me they went to a surgery and the receptionist told them they couldn't get free treatment or use the SIP.  They took my advice and went to a doctors a couple of miles away and had no problem.  They were given a temporary SIP straight away and the full one arrive about 6 weeks later.  They have been getting treatment at that surgery now for over 6 months and neither are of retirement age.  I'm afraid it's ignorance (on both sides) of the regulations that causes the problems.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 2/19/2007.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2007 5:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry Bob, I thought my post made it clear "....My experience, as a resident on CDS....", as does my profile. I'm talking about Torremolinos, Costa del Sol. (Where nobody has ever heard of the SIP card!)

Again, the important point here, as you say, is that each area is different, so by all means arm yourself with as much info as you can from this and other sources, and then let us know how things work out in your case. And long may the ignorance prevail - so long as it's in our favour!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts
Agents And Property Valuations Done Properly - 17 posts
A smiley for Smiley - 17 posts
How long is an Account Number ? - 9 posts
Building and Contents Insurance - 3 posts
Club Security Vacancy Wanted - 3 posts
Electricity Voltage - 7 posts
Could you support the "Red Arrows"? - 44 posts
VPO Can anyone Advise - 19 posts
Driving routes through France and Spain - 36 posts
We want your happy stories ONLY - 359 posts
Benahavis - 3rd attempt - 3 posts
wasting time - 1 posts
message boards - 11 posts
iznalloz - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x