Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 1:14 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Well,  a Law Degree in Spain plus convinient updated studies and experience seems to be sufficient. Of course a complement on litigation or a litigation colleague next to you is much advisable... and  FIRST OF ALL:  independency from developers or agents and clear picture of what interests you are protecting if you are working for consumers. Consumers regulations continuous study is also convinient but more of all this all.... independency and honesty.

After several months focusing just on helping british buying in Spain or trrying to recover deposits/ cancel contracts I have come to the conclussion that the main problem is that lawyers are not just consumers´lawyers but recommended by developers and agents, the few lawyers who speak Spanish in coastal areas see more profitable to be linked to big developers than to work independently for clients. It may be that also, they have not looked for means to reach individual clients and prefer the easy way of getting business from big guys.

It is a big concerrn of mine and I have been thinking of presenting the case to the National Council of LAwyers in Spain for a better regulation of this practice. Hard work.  If someone is willing to help, I would need to compile experiences and present them to the COuncil Madrid.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 6:06 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

If you walk into a Spanish bar (excuse the pun) and shout out are there any lawyers in here roughly 99% of hands will shoot up - there are many unqualified practitioners here and so often they are out of their depth so choose your representative with care.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 9:54 PM by Antleigh Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

This is all very confusing and worrying and three years on from beginning to think about it I am still no nearer an answer on this vexed question as to whether to use a solicitor or not, and if you do HOW ON EARTH can you check that they have any valid qualifications and relevant experience?? Surely there is some regulatory body involved - can the system really be so slack, or rather non-existent? What do Spanish buyers look for? Who do they pay for these services - or do they just go in to a bar and ask whoever? At the moment I am swaying towards the one and only person who has promptly answered my e-mail enquiries, but that could presumably just be someone with nothing better to do, who fancies taking my money??!! HELP!

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 12:01 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Ask them if they are qualified first and their qualifications. Ask them if they are a member of the Spanish College of Law and check out that they are. Ask for their written terms of business and ask them to itemise everything they charge for including establishing utilities contracts, applying for NIEs etc. Failing that ask for a recommendation from someone on this site that has purchased in the area you are buying. While bad things can happen if you do not use the right lawyer there can be worse if you do not use a lawyer at all.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
19 Dec 2008 2:07 PM by DAVEPRI44 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I have been dealing with a 'legal consutancy' for over two years now in connection with an  'off plan' purchase, which, due to the current financial, we are reluctantly pulling out of.  Without upsetting the lady that I have been dealing with, by asking her directly if she is a qualified lawyer, is there any way that I can check her legal credentials in a more subtle way - i.e. find out is she registerd with any Bar Association, what is her registerd number etc etc..

This message was last edited by DAVEPRI44 on 12/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Dec 2008 2:12 PM by Jewel Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Yes do a search on colegio de abogados on google, then put in geographical location and that will bring up a list of qualified solicitors.  Or e-mail Colegio themselves and ask the question.............

Like 0      
19 Dec 2008 2:37 PM by DAVEPRI44 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Jewel  - thanks for your quick response.  I have googled and the only website that looks like that of the colegio is only in Spanish  - my Spanish regretably is not that fluent!!  Could you give me a link to an appropriate web site.  Thanks again

Like 0      
21 Dec 2008 2:15 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

What province are they located?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts
Agents And Property Valuations Done Properly - 17 posts
A smiley for Smiley - 17 posts
How long is an Account Number ? - 9 posts
Building and Contents Insurance - 3 posts
Club Security Vacancy Wanted - 3 posts
Electricity Voltage - 7 posts
Could you support the "Red Arrows"? - 44 posts
VPO Can anyone Advise - 19 posts
Driving routes through France and Spain - 36 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x