bank guarantees

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by raych23 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Where would the bank guarantee be written?or what do you do if you want one?do you have to pay 4 it?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 11:43 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 1:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I wrote an article  on Bank Guaranteesfor Eye on Spain a time ago. It is just almost a translation of the 57/68 Law, not my  legal opinion but Law since 1968.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/bank-guarantee-legal.aspx

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 1:35 PM by Captain007 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

Maria

Your article says you can get all your  money back plus 6% interest.

However, I have been told I can only get 3 or 4% interest as that is the rate in spain. Also, that I cannot get my VAT tax money back. So I lose out in both ways. Can you please explain if what I have been told by my lawyer is correct ?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 1:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The General Building Act reduces interests to legal interests but there is some controversy so you can still ask for 6%.   Paid VAT is of course recoverable.  Some  compensation can be obtained too, depending on the case.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 2:35 PM by gusdonnelly Star rating in Casares Del Sol PM2.... 60 posts Send private message

Hi

I asked our so;icitor for a copy and have received it - in Spanish.  How can I be certain that the developer (Ocean Homes) is agreeing the liability?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 2:59 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
If the Aval or the INsurance is legally alright, there is no scape for developer.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 3:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

By scape I meant escape  or way out

Cheers,

M

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Feb 2007 4:47 PM by Captain007 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

Maria - back to my question on VAT. What can I do if my lawyer insists that I cannot get my VAT back ?  The original developer went bust, and the second developer went bust. So now it is a 3rd developer trying to finish the Building. Could that be a reason why I cannot get my VAT back ? Or do you think it is some legal requirement from the Bank ?? Please advise.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 1:47 PM by SIMONE12 Star rating in DEVON. 23 posts Send private message

Sorry but i think im a little stupid! What am i looking for when i look for my bank Guarantee? I know i have one my apartment is in D village, my lawyer has requested it but i dont know what piece of paper im looking for Arrrh!

Like 0      
21 May 2008 10:03 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

We had to pay approximately 800 euros to get our original bank guarantee.  With the build not finished 18 months overdue we have been persistently emailing our Spanish solicitor to bring the BG up to date.  The solicitor tells us the builders are not responding to their requests and they will send a "recorded" letter.  That will probably take another 6 weeks.
Is it normal to have to pay for the BG?

Started this offplan with no grey hair!

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
22 May 2008 12:08 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi mojito

When we were looking with an agent in 2003 at buying off plan we kept asking "has THIS builder got a Bank Guarantee in force" as we'd heard we mustn't part with money unless it was protected by a BG. We didn't quite understand much more. The agent assured us the builder we wanted to purchase from had & he even offered the information it was illegal for builders to not give one as we were paying in stages. Armed with all this newfound knowledge we signed a contract.

Once in the UK we kept asking & asking where was this BG as no one had mentioned it further & we were concerned. After some delay the agent's customer service (HA !!!) informed us that the builder said it wasn't free, we had to pay for one ! As we had been totally misled by the agent, obviously in order to gain himself a sale, we insisted we'd only bought because we'd been assured we were getting this & no mention of any fee had been mentioned. After a few heated faxes from us the agent gave in & said they'd pay for our BG, whatever it cost. 

Thankfully, we kept all the faxes that went between the agent & my husbands work address (as, at first, we had no home pc) plus emails afterwards, as they sent us a financial breakdown almost two years later & a fortnight prior to completion & there was 1200€ on it for our BG fee !! That was from Sept 2003 to April 2005. We did our nuts over that, I tell you, but could scan the fax from the agent, agreeing to fund the BG. They agreed to pay it as long as we completed April 20th, although on our contract the completion had been agreed for July 2005 but, because the villa was finished the November before & we'd seen it just waiting for us, we said we'd complete April.
If we hadn't managed to complete April 20th (as I'd been quite ill & we really weren't sure if I could travel) we certainly would've insisted they pay for our BG until contracted date.

If you look at other threads you'll see Maria de Castro, the wonderful lawyer who helps so many on EOS, has often commented that a developer must give you a BG & it is free. However, you'll also see that this is far from the truth generally. Many are not given a BG & if they are, they are charged for it. As I say ours was 1200€ from 5th Sept 2003 to April 20th 2005. I also believe I saw Maria say something about extending BGs but I can't think what she said now. 

Do a search for "bank guarantees" & hopefully you'll find it.

Maria is away for a few days but you could contact her by PM which will be there when she returns.

Like 0      
22 May 2008 10:27 AM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

Hi
We paid the first part of our deposit in June last year, BG was not collected by our solicitor until September. We refused to pay the second installment of our deposit until we had the BG. So the second instalment was paid end of Sept but the BG was not produced by the bank until 14 Feb this year. There was no charge but I hounded the solicitor for the BG every month until it was provided. From other links on EOS I discovered this solicitor's company had a history of not requesting BG from developers. I wonder what under hand dealings were going on? In the end I cut and pasted some of Maria de Castro legal quotes and sent it to my solicitor. This finally got the second BG.
We have now sacked the solicitor as this was just the tip of his incompetance.

Colin

Like 0      
22 May 2008 11:50 AM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Thanks Morerosado. I've been cutting and pasting wise words from Maria to our solicitor for weeks now but doesn't seem to have any effect.  We are due to complete next month....maybe, and our phase does seem to be complete so it might just happen.  But a three year wait doesn't half make you reconsider when you see what you can buy in other countries.  Just remind ourselves, flights are cheaper and shorter!
I think I read somewhere that if there is a problem with the builder and the solicitor didn't get the requested BG, the buyer can sue their solicitor.  I'll cut and paste that one and maybe get a reply.

Cheers
Jo      CDP, San Juan de los Terreros

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
27 May 2008 4:43 PM by PGM Star rating in Cheshire & LOS NARAN.... 862 posts Send private message

PGM´s avatar

Hi All

I paid my first instalment for my off plan property in October 2007 and wasn’t issued the Bank Guarantee until March 2008, 6 months in all.

So can I ask:

• I am due to pay my next instalment now and would like to know if I can insist that the bank Guarantee is issued first?
  • Or if I have a legal wright to ask when the Bank Guarantee will be issued before paying this payment?
  • Is there a legal time limit for Bank Guarantees being issued?

Regards

Phil

This message was last edited by PGM on 5/27/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!! - 8 posts
Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts
Agents And Property Valuations Done Properly - 17 posts
A smiley for Smiley - 17 posts
How long is an Account Number ? - 9 posts
Building and Contents Insurance - 3 posts
Club Security Vacancy Wanted - 3 posts
Electricity Voltage - 7 posts
Could you support the "Red Arrows"? - 44 posts
VPO Can anyone Advise - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x