Are the days of Freeloaders limited in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2019 3:25 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Why would the EU want to impose such ... restrictions on themselves surly this will be bad for the Airline businesses all over the EU...seems to me that they have not thought that one through.

Like 4      
24 Feb 2019 3:41 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

All nations on the planet impose some form of restrictions on foreigners entering their country or using their air space. Work related visas are another difficult issue for uk companies. Its a normal function of sovereignty to protect its own national interests. The EU is no different.

The UK seem to seek Brexit but keep all the advantages. It's not going to happen.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2019 4:49 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Mickyfinn the EU is not a nation...I wonder how they are going to explain to the collective of members ...that the UK will not permit any flight's to land from the EU membership of countries... the reason for this is that the EU are refusing to let the UK plane's land anywhere in the EU  I think they call it tit for tat in the play ground....this will never happen as big business will not deal with the EU...the UK is a extremely rich country that requires imports of goods to function ..if the EU refuse to trade with the UK ..we will simply buy from some other countries throughout the world....I think the so called EU will have some explaining to carry out especially when they order the Spanish farmers in the Mercia region that 80% of their exports that should be bound for the UK has got to be plowed back in to the ground think about it.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 24/02/2019.

Like 4      
24 Feb 2019 5:23 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Windtalker - “Nationhood” is a mainly cultural phenomenon, identity-creating if you like. A “state” encompasses everything political, namely sovereignty and legitimacy. In my view, the EU qualifies in that respect. I have always believed in the European Federal State. I hope it comes to pass in my lifetime.

Britain will in the future go it's own way. Good luck.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2019 5:42 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Still haven't grasped it, have you windtalker. EU countries will be allowed to fly to UK and UK flights will be allowed to fly to the EU. Who says they won't?

It's the flights between EU countries outside the UK that will be affected if no deal is done. Just like it was before the EU Open Skies reguations. You can stll fly Murcia to London. You can still fly London to Murcia but not on Ryanair. Vueling and Iberia and any other Spanish airlines can fly Murcia to London and back. Ryanair will keep its Madrid to Rome and its Alicante to Dublin flights going.

What will be affected will be UK flights going from one EU country to another EU country. It won't affect EU airlines so you can get Ryanair (irish) from Madrid to Berlin but not Easyjet or BA on the same route.

Of course, what you are wanting is for the UK to leave the EU but keep all the agreements in place and reap the benefits of the EU without the cost. 

And, again, this is all if there is no deal. Then agreements will have to be negotiated and if UK wants to continue the status quo then it will have to pay into the system to get it. Same with Euratom, shipping and many other current agreements purely made under EU regulations.

Like 1      
24 Feb 2019 7:03 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Marie Dave..Ryan air / Vuelin / Iberia air are all British majority owned ...this smart phone I am using is like me not very smart ....but when you type in it will tell you that UK based airlines have to move to the EU after Brexit ..it clearly states that UK based airlines will need to transfer their head office and be majority owned by EU based consortiums.or individuals    apparently the EU has given them 6 months to comply...now how is that going to work on the world wide stock markets.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 24/02/2019.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2019 7:33 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Only if they want to continue inter EU flights. The clue is in the inter EU bit as UK won't be in the EU.

Yes, Iberia and Vueling are part of IAG which also has BA as the majority holder. Which is why they are trying frantically to show they are a EU owned company as they also have El Corte Ingles in the group. If IAG can't show they are a majority EU owned company then they won't be allowed to fly inter EU flights. Yes, they have 6 months to prove they are a EU based company.

UK is leaving the EU. It is also leaving all the organisations and agreements that they signed up to as part of the EU. 

The European Court of Justice has jurisdiction over air travel in the EU and the UK has said they will have nothing to do with the ECJ rulings after we leave.

The agreement that has already been made between London and Brussels is that direct flights from and to UK will continue after Brexit.

The point I'm trying to make is summed up by the Politico site:
The Commission is keen to point out that this is a "bare-bones" agreement, and not only is it less than what the U.K. already has, it is also temporary. British airlines will lose the right to operate intra-EU flights. They will also lose the right to operate flights from the U.K. to the EU and then on to another destination — London-Madrid-Buenos Aires, say.

If Jet2 and Easyjet (as an example) wish to move to the EU to maintain their inter EU flights then so be it. They will still be able to operate direct UK - EU flights whether they do or not. 

Like 0      
25 Feb 2019 5:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Gosh, all this talk is making my head spin! 

Windtalker asked a very intelligent question: "why would the EU want to impose such restrictions on themselves?"

Indeed.

It really does make you wonder why the EU voted for Brexit in the first place, doesn't it? 

cheeky

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
25 Feb 2019 5:58 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Arrogance and bloody mindedness. Citizen’s welfare is only a minor consideration.

Like 0      
25 Feb 2019 7:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Meaning? indecision

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2019 8:28 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Follow the threadwink

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 1:32 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I was following it fine, until your previous statement, which I can't make any sense of. Who's arrogant and bloody minded? The freeloaders? The EU? The UK? In fact, I've re-read your other previous posts on this thread as well, and I have absolutely no idea what your opinion is or what you're trying to say. Maybe you're intentionally confusing?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 7:45 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Getting back to the original thread ... what exactly is a Free loader.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 9:48 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

laugh Another great question! Definition: a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

If you re-read the first paragraph of Acer's original post, perhaps you'll be reminded of what the thread was about!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 10:05 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Freeloader is a slang term used to indicate a person who takes something for nothing. It's not really appropriate in the context of the subject matter.

A more accurate term would be illegal immigrants.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 12:31 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

Mickyfinn the EU is not a nation...I wonder how they are going to explain to the collective of members ...that the UK will not permit any flight's to land from the EU membership of countries... the reason for this is that the EU are refusing to let the UK plane's land anywhere in the EU  I think they call it tit for tat in the play ground....this will never happen as big business will not deal with the EU...the UK is a extremely rich country that requires imports of goods to function ..if the EU refuse to trade with the UK ..we will simply buy from some other countries throughout the world....I think the so called EU will have some explaining to carry out especially when they order the Spanish farmers in the Mercia region that 80% of their exports that should be bound for the UK has got to be plowed back in to the ground think about it.

Exactly. All this scaremongering is beyond the joke. Nothing will change, after a short period of disruption and media hysteria (like the Honda car plant closing - the media blamed it on Brexit!!). It's the Millenium Bug all over again.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 1:46 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Stop making things up fazarelli.

There has never been any indication (except in some of the sensational UK press) that UK planes can't land in the EU.

Of course they can. They just can't fly intra EU, ie from Madrid to Rome or Berlin to Athens etc. 

There will be nothing to stop Easyjet flying from Luton to Malaga or BA from Gatwick to Rome. It will revert to how it was before the EU Open Skies Agreement was signed.

There will be nothing to stop Air Berlin flying Berlin to London or any other EU airline flying direct from and to UK.

Made up stories like this do no favours at all to what is possibly the most important thing to be occurring in UK for many a long year. It simply shows the desperation posters on both sides will say to justify their opinion.

Time for people from both sides to get together and get the best deal for UK that they possibly can instead of making things up.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 2:26 PM by angeleyes1 Star rating in Camposol & Bradford. 403 posts Send private message

angeleyes1´s avatar

Quite right,** EDITED - Against forum rules - inciting**

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 2/27/2019 10:15:00 AM.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 8:43 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Have Easyjet got the European operatives licence ?.....They've got lots of bases in Europe

Like 0      
26 Feb 2019 9:25 PM by Ph68 Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Ph68 on 26/02/2019.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Reassurance needed - 21 posts
Comfort in numbers. - 19 posts
Car Hire & Excess Insurance - 9 posts
Open gate for Ocean View/ Palmera buyers - 0 posts
Residencia Certificate encripted with Permanent Residence - 7 posts
Which Costa del Sol school? - 0 posts
Flight prices to Corvera - 3 posts
For sale yamaha RGXAZ electric guitar - 0 posts
property rental - 7 posts
Hello, a couple of retired brits. - 2 posts
Interest delays vs Brexit - 9 posts
Social Security Contributions - 3 posts
recent amendments to horizontal act regarding disabled and elderly - 3 posts
THINKING OF MOVING TO SPAIN, AT LONG LAST - 15 posts
Medical insurance cover in Spain - 8 posts
Pilates in Mojacar or near - 0 posts
Direct Debit for paying Spanish Income Tax to agencia tributaria - 4 posts
Garden and pool Maintenance cost - 4 posts
Bought nearly 3 years ago - still lots to learn! - 7 posts
Liberty Seguros problems - 9 posts
S1 healthcare for pensioners - default position. - 16 posts
mcik - 9 posts
RENTAL PROPERTY? - 2 posts
Record car hire - 8 posts
Cheapest way to sell? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x