A HAPPY THREAD - NO DOOM, GLOOM OR CREDIT CRUNCH MENTIONED!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
I smashed my Terrimundi Pot today. I've been putting in £1 & £2 coins for well over a year. These coins have been found down the back of the settee, bottom of my bag, my son's bedroom floor, husband's trouser pockets (only when checking before going to the dry cleaners!) and sometimes out of my purse.

So out came the hammer and it total I had £221.00!!! How good is that? That's at least three tanks of petrol

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 2:50 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
small car  then  

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 2:52 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
But seriously Cioffi,well done.It is amazing how these odds and sods add up. We are not as ambitious as you, we only save 20p pieces 

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 3:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
As it's a HAPPY THREAD, which makes a change, I want to say congrats to our semijubilada for making 500 posts (next post will be her 500th as I type)

Semi, please click & have your sound on too >>>

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 3:46 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Why thank you kind More, still got a long way to go to catch up with you

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 3:49 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Think you've just attained FINCA status now, semi.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 3:52 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
A happy ending..
Taken from
THE LEADER ONLINE

Rescued By An Angel And Now Deserving A Little Piece Of Heaven!

(Published: 13/07/2008  Edition No.: 220)

Risto after he was found
Show Gallery Risto after he was found

This is the quite extraordinary story of ‘Risto’, an unwanted little dog who was literally rescued from certain death by an Angel. It is a story almost taken directly from the Holy Bible in that it involves human sin of almost unimaginable proportions, a rescue, a journey and a safe homecoming. It also highlights clearly the horrors of animal cruelty which occur not only in this part of Spain, but without any doubt at all, in every part of the world and which is a sad reflection on humankind in general.  

Risto is a small and delightful Fox Terrier dog and has been aged at around 8 years. In mid May, the usual late evening refuse collections were taking place throughout the area and on this occasion in Canada de Praes which lies between Pilar de la Horadada and Pinar de Campoverde. As is usually the case, the green skips were filled to overflowing and plastic bags lay piled against the sides of them. One of the refuse workers, quite coincidentally named Angel, hoisted up one of the bags ready to throw it into the shredding mechanism in the back of the refuse truck when he felt a movement inside. Ripping open the tightly sealed bag, he found little Risto inside, struggling for air and in a very poor state indeed. Seconds from certain death, the dog had been rescued and given a chance of life once more.

Unfortunately, it is against regulations for dogs to be carried in municipal vehicles and so Angel was forced to leave the creature to its fate.

The following morning, little Risto had walked the four kilometres from Canada de Praes and was found by a kindly woman outside a hairdresser in the centre of Pilar who took the dog to the Local Police. Enquiries revealed that Risto had no identification microchip and so he was taken to the pound at Los Infiernos near Murcia.

This is where the Animal Charity A.P.A.H. (Asociación Protectora de Animales Horadada) stepped in and animal protection officer and well known rights campaigner, Vicky Pena from Campoverde immediately took little Risto in as a ‘foster carer’ pending a permanent home being found. Indeed, it was Vicky’s idea to name the little Fox Terrier ‘Risto’ after a Spanish television game show personality. And so Risto it has become and a full medical by that ever friendly veterinary surgeon, Senor Arturo Saura Alcaraz whose practise is near the church in Pilar, revealed the dog to be in a poor state, with a severe skin infection, ear infection and conjunctivitis. However, he is now well on the road to recovery thanks to Vicky, Senor Arturo and the A.P.A.H. team and has been fully vaccinated, sterilised and weight stabilised at 7.5 kilos.

Determined as ever, Vicky appeared on Television Horadada with Risto in the hope that someone might recognise the little dog. With the help of her husband John, she has also closely liaised with the Local Police and placed over 100 posters all around Pilar but so far no luck thus far.

Vicky has said, “Risto is a darling. He is growing into a very healthy, intelligent and sociable animal and must have been a lovely home pet for years until his luck ran out. He plays with our other three rescue dogs, loves his little walks and is even a wonderful swimmer! He deserves a second chance in life. Will some kind person out there give him that chance, please?”
Vicky may be contacted on 686 981 794 to enquire about ‘Risto' and A.P.A.H. maintain a website at www.apahrescue.org/ and a Charity shop at Calle Jose Sanchez, Pilar de la Horadada as well as a stall on the Sunday morning market at Campoverde where the all important funds are raised by a team of hard working volunteers to pay for the charitable veterinary care.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 4:30 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
How refreshing... a happy thread! 

To add to this wonderfully happy thread have a look at our new office toy....

Pool table

Everyone who comes in is subjected to a game that I have to win!

We're very happy here

By the way, this is NOT the reason there is no newsletter this week!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 5:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
22 Jul 2008 8:17 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
I think you have to buy another Terrimundi Pot out of the money you got out else you will get bad luck Cioffi1.................
So that's oly 2 & 1/2 tanks of petrol!!!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Jul 2008 1:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Awwwwwwwwwww................ nice innit ?

Cute Baby Panda Adopted By Cat In Dutch Zoo

You’ve heard of the black sheep of the family, well how about the red panda.

A baby panda rejected by its mother has been adopted by a domestic cat and is being raised along with its litter. The panda and another sibling were initially accepted by their mother but were found to have been abandoned a day later, suffering from hypothermia. Zookeepers at the Artis Zoo in Amsterdam successfully encouraged a cat that had just given birth to suckle the pair - however one of the pandas unfortunately did not survive.

READ MORE & SEE PHOTOS HERE

Like 0      
23 Jul 2008 6:25 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Funny you should say that Fibby - that's what someone else told me....so I ordered another one today. It's a great way of accumilating wealth. My daughter managed to get almost £400.00 in hers as she folded up and stuffed notes in as well. My normally penniless son paid for a "lads holiday" out of his.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2008 8:13 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Those are great pictures morerosado.
But I do think the cat will have a bit of a surprise coming when the panda grows up!

Like 0      
24 Jul 2008 8:03 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
What a sociable lot we are down in Vera Playa.

I offered to organise one of our famous get togethers while we are on holiday in August. I thought maybe 20 - 25 might like to come along & get to know some of their neighbours.

Oh My God, how wrong could I be - 55 Adults & 26 Chidren later - I am arranging not one but 3 nights out.

I have to say though that if it wasn't for EOS we wouldn't know anywhere as many of our neighbours as we do. 
So thanks Justin & Susan.

I just hope they all enjoy themselves now!!

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 7/24/2008.

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 7/24/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 7:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Those are really wonderful news.

I would suggest to add socialization with spaniards to that, by now, I just can see that some fun english-spanish  lessons  may work as having spanish students at home may work too... and will cover some expenses.

We can start thinking of creating  some non-expensive bilingual  EOS vacations in some wonderful  small towns of Spain ( such as Grazalema) to make the learning of the language ( Spanish or English) a real task. That will create jobs positions for english and spanish language teachers too... now that unemployment is rising.

Let´s think alternatively.. it is fun and surpresive!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 10:55 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Maria, you've just said "spanish students at home may work too "

Did you read my post
Do you live near Murcia / Alicante? Have a Spanish student stay & see the benefits, read thread It's a great way of learning Spanish or improving on what you already know. These people thoroughly enjoyed their experiences & that trip out was amazing. Check out the photos.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 11:22 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Torrevieja's newest hospital among the best in Spain

The Hospital in Torrevieja has returned figures that put it up with some of the best hospitals in Spain.

They are performing 400 surgical procedures a week and have the maximum capacity to add another 100 to that figure. By the end of 2007 the surgeons and staff at the Torrevieja Hospital will have carried out 15,000 operations and from January to July have done 8,546 surgeries.

The astonishing performance has been enhanced by key hole surgery and the use of laser surgery so that 56% of those operated on do not need to stay in hospital once they have been operated on. Most patients are released and follow up appointments are on an out-patient basis.

Every time they release the stats on Hospitals in Spain Torry Hospital seems to do better and better,it is very reassuring that the health system here is so good.
You can even text the Emergencias to see how long the wait is before you get there!!!

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 4:45 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
just to bump this thread above the one from the darkside just below,no more doom and gloom pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
26 Jul 2008 3:30 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar
It's 3:30PM... It's Rotherham South Yorkshire... It's 28 Degrees... It's Sunny and We've just had a Barbecue.... and am now sat outside with the Laptop and a glass of wine, sheer bliss.  

Better make the most of it though, the British Summer will probably end tomorrow!!!

Ooops, sorry, no doom & gloom.  The British Summer weather will continue Sunny and 28 degrees until Christmas........and then get better.

Kel

Like 0      
27 Jul 2008 1:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Happy  news about little Emma who many have been following news of. 

http://www.babyemma.co.uk/ 

Emma suffers from a rare cancer called neuroblastoma
but, after going through so much in her short life, she's doing well. Such a little trouper, so full of beans.

Latest from her diary
: 23rd July 2008 

Please take time out of your busy day to read it, it's heartwarming.

Hello everyone,

I AM ALIVE!!!! Someone posted on my guestbook that I had passed away but am far from it! Daddy deleted it when he noticed it so just in case anyone is worried I am healthy and "full of beans".

I went to see the doctor on the 14th July and he was really impressed with my health, Daddy asked lots of questions about the my health and what we should do about the side effects that the hospital said I am going to have and the long term damage to my body but the doctor said I looked really healthy and my hearing, if it was going to get damaged, it would of by now so it looks like I my hearing is going to be OK. I was told that because of the radiotherapy on my kidney, it would stop working but everything seems fine but am going to have blood tests done on my next appointment............all the way in October!!!!!

Daddy has sent a copy of my scans to my other hospital in America (MSKCC) so hopefully they will agree with what my UK doctors say and I won't have to go over for a few months. So no more doctors until October...How good is that!!!!!

Mummy and Daddy ordered my new school uniform as I start school in September! I can't wait to make lots of new friends and have lots of fun.

I went on a surprise holiday for a few days to EuroDisney!!! When Mummy and Daddy was told that my scans where clear we packed and went, they said it is because I am a brave little girl but I think it more to do with every time the Disney advert comes on the TV I jump around dancing and singing and jump on Daddy asking when can we go......I have my ways of getting what I want.
A big thank you to all the staff at EuroDisney for making it a magical holiday that I will never forget. Daddy will add the pictures to the site very soon....we have heard that one before!

I am still doing all my healthy organic eating and getting lots of sun and going on walks in the park...I almost forgot to tell you, I went fishing with my Daddy and we slept in a tent...OUTSIDE! Daddy said I was really good and we will go again sometime this summer.

Well am going to bed now, well going to watch a DVD, think I might watch Monsters Inc, it makes me giggle and happy.

Night Night

Love Emma XXX 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/27/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying a Spanish Fine in England - 2 posts
retiring to jar de cope - 4 posts
Acquiring a mortgage. - 1 posts
Garrucha fun fair - 9 posts
Can I afford to live in Spain - Serious question - 76 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month Torrevieja or surrounding €100 a week - 0 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month rental required Torrevieja area - €100 per week - 0 posts
Savings on shopping - 14 posts
GoGo's Crazy Bones?? - 1 posts
Totally Torrevieja - 1 posts
Another building giant crisis hits Costa Blanca - 7 posts
All MAR MENOR (Costa Calida) general info. - 0 posts
Bus Service - 11 posts
Moneycorp & QuesadaLife forum, devious lot or WHAT !?! - 11 posts
Sad site in Torrevieja (Costa Blanca) today - 6 posts
Can you eat a hot curry in Spain? - 15 posts
Watch T4 pop concert LIVE in my town of Weston Super Mare right NOW on C4 - 2 posts
HELP....Advice on TDLT - 3 posts
Child Bank Account - How do I open one ? - 5 posts
Youtube teaches you Spanish, very helpful. - 1 posts
Christmas - 10 posts
changing mortgage to a new owner - 6 posts
Adding a page to social networking sites - 1 posts
Spanair and Ryanair give details of their cutbacks in Spain. - 0 posts
Check out flight info for all carriers at Alicante & Murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 173

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x