A HAPPY THREAD - NO DOOM, GLOOM OR CREDIT CRUNCH MENTIONED!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2008 4:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Abbb, I've got fun & games today with my Virgin server so you won't have received my emails but it'll be worth waiting for.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Service status

Due to a temporary fault, we are experiencing difficulties with the Virgin.net email and webmail services meaning that customers may be unable to Send and Receive their email.

We are working hard to resolve the fault and hope to resume normal service as soon as possible.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 5:10 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Shall look forward to them More.

Just off to polish the table for the third time - it thinks it's Christmas!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 4:16 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I joined this group, only a few weeks back,  after reading all the interesting and helpful snippets.

Little did i know the repercussions!!  In the first week I spent more hours, tiptoeing up to the computer to catch up with the news - co9mputer in bedroom immediately over the lounge), than I would care to count!!  My OH didn't know that I could move around so quietly, considering my ample proportions!  But it's amazing what you can do when you want to!  That first week I was considering buying dimmer switches for each room - where the housework had been hurried through!  I think that the answer has to be to go minimalistic.  Our place in Spain is so easy to keep clean - suppose that it's not had time to gather the clutter - yet!!  Only had that for four years though.

My thoughful OH has offered to buy me an alarm clock - so I guess that's a gentle hint!  . Or maybe not such a gentle one!  We've compromised on an hour a day - so now I have to read and type even more quickly!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 4:54 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Funny you should say that because the other night my OH commented that whenever he looked across the room all he sees is a black box (laptop) as he's forgotton what I look like he's decided to call me Compaq

He often asks what's happening in Lah Lah land and doesn't believe me when I say nothing as he can hear me typing away

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 6:50 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Back for another 5 minutes off my 60!!!

I know the feeling Semi, since I keep my photo on the mantlepiece to remind my OH what I look like!!

That same guy was told to go on a diet by his doc - and went out and bought a lot of instant meals from a well known grocers - one that has a range called "Healthy Living".  I don't like spicy food, so he put a lamb biryani in to cook.  After he had eaten it II asked the "connoisseur" what he thought about it.  He was prompted to go to his computer and type a letter of complaint to this well known store - since he thought that there was a distinct lack of lamb!!!

I looked at the ingredients:
Lamb sauce (36%); Mixed rice (33%) sliced aubergine (10%) spinach leaf (7%) cherry tomato (7%) Mint sauce (5%)

Lamb sauce - contains: lamb; onions; date; apricol dried; tomato; tomato puree; garlic puree; ginger puree; coriander, salt; cornflower; water; chilli powder; ground coriander; cumin; green chilli; tumeric; cinnamon; black pepper; ginger; clove; nutmeg; bayleaf

Mixed Rice contains: water; chickpeas; basmati rice; turmeric; cumin seed; cardamom seeds; salt

Mint sauce contains: mild; water; cornflour, lemon juice from concentrate and mint!

470 calories; 12.9g sugar and 15.1g fat

I think that the rest of the packets will be donated to some deserving?? person.

Isn't it nice when the OH's appreciate your good old cooking!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 7:14 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Mine has to, it's either that or cook it yourself

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 7:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Oh, you have to feed these men of ours, do you ?  Mine rarely says "are we eating today". If I've not plonked something on a tray, he does without as he's incapable of toasting some bread & opening a can of beans ! We tend to meet on our stairs. He is watching TV downstairs while I''m upstairs on the PC & then if Corrie/Eastenders/Corrie's on we swap over. Retirement works well, better than I thought it might. i thought we'd be under each others feet 24/7.

Today he's happy, as am I as I don't have to cook. Had a super 8oz gammon steak, (OH had two fried eggs, I had four slices of pineapple) chunky chips, garden peas & half a tomato each sitting looking at what's left of Weston pier. It was a BOGOF offer Mon - Fri 12 - 3 for the "over 55's". Great to be old.

TJ Hughes were selling off mens longer shorts with lots of heavy duty nylon zips on pockets so OH bought two pairs, beige & navy. £5 each.  

A guy called TIM PITMAN was singing in the grounds of The Royal hotel on the front & it was great. What a brilliant tenor. He took requests & sang You Raise Me Up which made my flesh creep, it was so beautiful. Really great guy, in aid of British Legion it was. TIM SINGS NESSUN DORMA  

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 1:04 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
As you have no TV in Spain if you've lost Telmicro here's a time waster..
This is for those that have nothing better to do!!

This will drive you crazy !

When you open this web page, a ball on a string will be dangling
from your cursor.

Now move the cursor around and the ball also moves. Flip the ball around
and see if you can click on it.

If you do, the ball will change colour!

http://mazzanet.id.au/ball.php

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 11:24 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi More,
Just done your ball on a string.
Took me AGES to get it from BLUE to LILAC.
not much hair left.!!!!!!!!1

GYPSY

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 12:43 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Just on my way up to the padded cell .....!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 12:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I just had no coordination at 1.04am 

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 5:10 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
How do you find time to sleep, More??

The weathermen got it wrong again for this area!!  Today I'd planned to do all those sort of jobs that you line up for a rainy day.  However, they are now consigned to the "manana" box instead!!   Shame!!

Clacton lived up to it's name and we had brilliant sunshine!!  I'm still hobbling around on a walking stick, so sat out in the garden, with the old suntan cream, directing work!  Weeding, grass cutting etc!!  I'm getting quite good at being a spectator!   I know that it's getting towards the end of the summer as just received Christmas Day price lists from local restaurants!!  I think that I've decided that £70 a head is a bit on the pricey side.  I know that they have to pay the staff more, and I wouldn't fancy working on Christmas day for any money! But to say that it saves you having to wash up!..........! I think that you could probably buy a diswasher with the money that you save - especially when there are usually at least 6 of us at Xmas!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 6:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Rained on & off all day, abbbb.

I fancied going to seafront again for more people watching too. 

We've spent Christmas & New Year for the last three years in Spain & are going there again this year. Two years ago we spent four nights over Christmas in a hotel in Spain which was good.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 6:33 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Not possible to spend Xmas in Spain at the moment - this thing called family!!  Too many of them to take over to our place!

We made the mistake of going to Spain immediately after Xmas, two years ago, and of course, everywhere was booked up!!  I was looking forward to spending New Year there .... same story!  I wish that we had taken some business phone numbers home with us on the previous visit!  Spent the time hearing everyone saying what a wonderful night they had had at ...............whereever!!  Grrrrr.  Our own fault!  Must have been the same time that you were having a great time in that hotel,  Our community is very quiet over this period - a lot of the residents go "home" to see their families.

The hotel idea seems a nice one - any recommendations, More?

Clacton and the pier are bustling at the moment.  However, there are many frustrated drivers, driving around in circles since much of it was pedestrianised.  The council forgot about extra parking!  One of the features that the council put in the middle of this pedestrianisation were fountaints that rise up from the pavement at set times.  Cost £150,000 to install; £15,000 to maintain pa, and the kids have found that they can easily be knocked out by using liquid soap!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 7:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Abbbb, we booked a coach trip from Rosas tours by petrol station, Quesada & needed to book by September (2006) as last year we left it too late in November & all booked for their trips. We went to Poseidon Palace behind old town. I personally enjoyed it (no cooking) but rooms really needed some heat during day & rads were only put on evenings &, as we wanted baths before dinner, it wasn't very comfy. Took a while for heat to get into rooms then it was too hot so we had to open patio door & curtains blew around as we were high up & it was breezy. (Couldn't quite get it right).

Karensun went with a group she belongs to last Christmas to hotel Venus in Benidorm & said it was pretty ok. Think she said hotel was very hot. Said food was good. Look on trip Advisor for reviews.

Last year I decided to buy a frozen turkey boneless crown joint stuffed with cranberries & apricots from Aldi as I've had these for years. 2.5kg for £9.99, beautiful. I put streaky bacon over it &, once cooked, I sliced it & freezed it in bags of six slices. I did that the week before going to Spain Dec 18th last year. I also cooked gammon & bagged some up. I have a small freezer bag which is just big enough for sarnies for two plus two cans & I used that to transport gammon slices & turkey slices in suitcase. I put a few slimline freezer blocks around sides, top & bottom & in middle. Our key holder had put the freezer on so it was out of case & into freezer. 

We spent time with friends Christmas morning having coffee with them & their friends at our friends home in La Marina then we all went to the beach at La Marina with bottles of cold Cava. There were thousands on the beach, it was a red hot day. Some were BBQing, wonderful smells everywhere. OH only had a mouthful of Cava as he was driving soI had a lot though I shared it too.   Back home I had a brand new steamer I'd never used so I had no idea what to do with regards to layering it up & it wasn't like my Tefal turbo one here, which doesn't take long. I peeled spuds & carrots & we had frozen brussels. Eventually I took bigger spuds out of steamer & roasted these in frypan.  Meat was cooked so I just did some chicken gravy, made up a pkt of bread sauce, opened cranberry sauce jar & we had a superb meal around 4.30pm. No fuss & I floated through the afternoon.  Karen will tell you she rang me when we were on the beach & I couldn't hear her well but I recall saying I was having a good time & was a little drunk. She kid me for ages afterwards as to what I said.

Christmas is so over rated, we just enjoy whatever we do, it's just another day.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 7:46 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Agree with you about the "over-rated" bit.

Used to be fun when the kids were growing up - all of us gathered around the tree and opening the pressies - doesn't have quite the same ring now!  We still try to spend the actual day with the family - the next day is my birthday..  Bad planning - all my mother's fault!! and yes, there is one on the horizon.!! 

Great idea about the food.

I think that the next time we go over to Spain we'll have to throw a party, and get to know a few more people!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 8:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
16 Aug 2008 9:00 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
They're great ice breakers!  In more ways than one!

re: your earlier post, More, regarding Karen - I'd have claimed amnesia.  With my memory most people will believe that!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 12:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I had this from abbbb by email so thought I'd paste it here. (Can't reduce text size, sorry).

Girlie Wisdom!

Women over 50 don't have babies because they would put them down and forget where they left them.

A friend of mine confused her Valium with her birth control pills... she has 14 kids but doesn't really care.

One of life's mysteries is how a 2-pound box of chocolates can make a woman gain 5 lbs.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Sometimes I think I understand everything, and then I regain consciousness.

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knicker's.

Amazing!  You hang something in your closet for a while and it shrin ks 2 sizes!

Skinny people irritate me!  Especially when they say things like...'You know sometimes I forget to eat!' ......Now I've forgotten my address, my mother's maiden name and my keys, but I have never forgotten to eat.  You have to be a special kind of stupid to forget to eat!

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing and then they marry him.

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding?  That's my idea of a perfect day!

Like 0      
17 Aug 2008 1:12 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Couldn't resist sharing that one.  

My friends send me up to 10+ plus a day - from all different parts of the world - but not all of them are suitable for passing on!!

Thanks, More, for pointing out that I've got a problem with the e-mail address deletions.  Will have to look into that one.  Still haven't sorted out the problem with my missing "e-mail" box.  Think that another letter to Tiscali is due!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying a Spanish Fine in England - 2 posts
retiring to jar de cope - 4 posts
Acquiring a mortgage. - 1 posts
Garrucha fun fair - 9 posts
Can I afford to live in Spain - Serious question - 76 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month Torrevieja or surrounding €100 a week - 0 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month rental required Torrevieja area - €100 per week - 0 posts
Savings on shopping - 14 posts
GoGo's Crazy Bones?? - 1 posts
Totally Torrevieja - 1 posts
Another building giant crisis hits Costa Blanca - 7 posts
All MAR MENOR (Costa Calida) general info. - 0 posts
Bus Service - 11 posts
Moneycorp & QuesadaLife forum, devious lot or WHAT !?! - 11 posts
Sad site in Torrevieja (Costa Blanca) today - 6 posts
Can you eat a hot curry in Spain? - 15 posts
Watch T4 pop concert LIVE in my town of Weston Super Mare right NOW on C4 - 2 posts
HELP....Advice on TDLT - 3 posts
Child Bank Account - How do I open one ? - 5 posts
Youtube teaches you Spanish, very helpful. - 1 posts
Christmas - 10 posts
changing mortgage to a new owner - 6 posts
Adding a page to social networking sites - 1 posts
Spanair and Ryanair give details of their cutbacks in Spain. - 0 posts
Check out flight info for all carriers at Alicante & Murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 173

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x