A HAPPY THREAD - NO DOOM, GLOOM OR CREDIT CRUNCH MENTIONED!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Aug 2008 11:06 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Great idea about those space bags and holdalls!

Enjoy your girlie weekend - have just been on a pampering weekend at a Spa and could get used to it!

I still have get togethers, mainly in London, with "girls" from my old school in Ilford. We've known each other for more than 50 years (saying that could be letting the cat out of the bag!).  It's lovely to have been to each others' weddings; seen the children grow up, and now most of us are grandparents!  Although we're scattered throughout England - one even in Normandy - we still make the time to meet up and the conversations still really flow.  Many times so does the wine!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 11:48 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just having a last minute check of bag, have lunch then I'm off.  Just in time for the rain I think.

I still meet up with my school friends (41) years, no grandchildren for me just 11 great nieces and nephews.  Much better can enjoy them when they arrive on a visit but always do a head count when they leave incase one has been left behind

They keep you young and are helpful with all the new gadgets.

Have just sold some items on Ebay so am feeling proud because I didn't have any help this time.  Can now start going through room by room if it doesn't sell on ebay it'll go to the charity shop.

Tried boot sales last year but unless you were selling things for under a £1 people weren't interested

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 11:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I see Semi intends to.  Good for you, gal. It's piddling it down here & cool too. Both of us had a SUPER night's kip on our new orthopaedic Slumberland pillows (woke up feeling very refreshed 8.20am too even though it was 3am when I went to bed. ) so we're taking the Slumberland recoil ones back that we bought yesterday for the spare beds in Spain for exchange to these we now have here for us & in Spain we'll put pillows from our bed on spares & have the new ones. Did all that sound English ?  I know what I meant.

None of the space bags we've bought over a period of time, from QVC in different guises, have kept air out but I find initially after I've wedged lots of them one above each other on the top shelf of a wardrobe, there's nowhere for the bags to expand to  so I live with that. Yesterday, in Dunelm, I saw space bags with a 5 yr guarantee ! Can't find details on Dunelm's website, I think it was £14.99 But I found details IN HERE.   You get 2 bags each 70 x 105 cm & 1 bag 90 x 110cm.  SEE OTHER PACK MATE PRODUCTS HERE. Also Dunelm's own VACUSEAL BAG £1.49/1 BAG 48 x 65CM  and  VACUSEAL BAGS £5.99, 1 BAG 92 X 125CM, 1 BAG 74 X 110CM    and  HANGING VACUSEAL £3.99 60 X 155CM

Abbbb, thread moved quickly so I (kinda ) missed some. Made amends that's the main thing. When are you out in Quesada as both Semi & I meet up & you could attach yourself to us for a drink sometime. 

Semi, that reminds me , Jules1 wants to meet you too in October, I said I'd try to sort it with you & my OH said he could drop me off & s*d off till I ask him to release me from your clutches.

Semi, at Bristol if you want a trolley you have to put a £1 coin in to release trolley & you don't get this back so what do people do ? Leave them everywhere as there's no incentive to return them. We've always been able to find a trolley at the car park drop off area without coughing up £1 which we wouldn't.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/9/2008.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 1:17 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Know what you mean about the head count, Semi!  Have one grandchild, but have same sentiments!

We had a business, and when it closed we were left with lots of stock - despite of having a 6 month sale.  Tried car boots - but hard work.  Also have sold quite a few things on e-bay - the lighter things,  However, am scratching my head as to what to do with 2,000+ glazed picture frames!  Too heavy/costly for e-bay (postage) and no success with local art shops - even though we were asking a fraction of the wholesale cost!  I guess that I have to take more pictures!

Thanks for all that info on space bags, More.  I'll certainly order one and give it a trial run.

Should love to meet up with you both - nice to be able to put a "face" to the letters.  However, not sure just when I'll be out there.  Our place is let until November, with an option for tenants to continue for another six months.  Had to do that because of 91 year old dad going downhill (dementia) and hubby not being so great either.  So I think that it could be May before I see Quesada again.  

Anyone know if the buses are running again, around the Dona Pepa area?? Think that I did my lifetime quota of walking on the last visit!!

The weather here is very sunny - but rain forecast for this afternoon.  Surprise, Surprise - it's carnival day!!  I don't think that it will be quite up to the standard of the Spanish ones!!  Understatement!!  Health and safety fears have made the organisers ban the throwing of coins onto the floats - people on the floats used to have big buckets ready to catch the money; and horse riders have banned in case someone gets trampled under foot.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 2:03 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
What abbbbs, no rampaging bulls either, tut tut !! 

How silly re throwing money (or not ) or horse riders ! All part of carnivals that, isn't it ? They'll be banning the rain next . Weston's carnival is often held in the rain but then it's held middle of November !

PM me your email address &, only with Semi's ok, we could swap photos as I have one of us. Semi & I have been internet friends for ages. I organised a meet in Spain at Market St. restaurant in San Miguel de Salinas for four of us EOSers plus our husbands including Semi & C & Karensun & P, on Sunday 30th December last year for lunch. We were booked in for 4pm & we ended up staying till we were virtually chucked out. Unfortunately Auntie EM & her OH didn't make it out to Spain, Em took ill with that Norovirus on the way to the airport & had to opt out. Couldn't fly, poor Em. I ring her most weekends. I've never met Em yet but Semi's met her.

Semi came with her OH to see us at our home in Guardamar in June. We rabbitted for almost 4 hrs too. We're going to meet again in October when we're both over at the same time.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 2:28 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hello All, I buy our English size bedding at the Bedding Shop in Torrevieja. It is on Calle Apollo (main road near the Friday market, just down past petrol station). Sheets etc very good and don´t get "bobbly" if you know what I mean. We also use space bags - known as sucky bags in our house thanks to grandkids- to bring stuff from England and now use for storage of quilts etc etc. Once they are in top of wardrobe it doesn`t matter if they leak. Ours came from Lidl on special offer so very good value. Used to think we would eventually get to the stage that we did not need to bring stuff from England but still doing it and we have lived here full time for nearly 4 years now. Guess there is no hope for us.
Feeling really good as OH now over the worst from his bypass op. Just over 4 weeks since op and he is doing really well. Can now drive again so that makes it easier. Much better now i don´t have to drive with him clinging onto seat and begging me to slow down. I really do not drive THAT fast, honestly. By the way what are those indicator things for?
Jean

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 2:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hola Jean

Glad to hear your husband's doing well, it's been a while since you told us about his bypass so wonderful to hear he's on the mend. 

My dad had a quad bypass & was so well afterwards, after a few weeks of course. New lease of life. He had given up smoking & walked miles too. You need to help yourself, don't you ?

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 6:21 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

You are so right More, Fred never smoked but now needs to lose weight, same here unfortunately. When Fred was in hospital we chatted to a 73 year old Spanish man who had bypass 13 years previously. We intend to do as he advised and live life to the full. 
think it was the shock of it all that affected me most. Apart from arthritis he has always been well. From visiting doctor to bypass via stents fitting was only seven weeks. Our feet never touched the floor as they say. It has been quite a journey. Mrs Gillespie says I should do a blog of the experience to reassure others re the health service here but not too sure. what do you think?
Jean

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 6:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Fred was so lucky he had stents as it's non invasive (to a point). My poor dad had to have veins stripped from both legs almost top to toe then his fron cut open, massive scar. He was very ill afterwards as progress was so slow. But once he did progress he had great quality of life re the angina problem. He had many other probs though & had two ops later for aortic aneurysm, second time we lost him, sadly.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 7:18 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
Ayrez, I think a blog about the healthcare would be very interesting and helpful to many people. So glad to hear your husband is coming on well. Live life to the full both of you as this life is not a rehearsal!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 7:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Sorry, Jean, I also meant to say you should start a blog, reassure others. That's what I did though not sure if it hasn't put them off buying.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 7:26 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Poor old Fred had both, he had three stents fitted in Cartagena and the bypass 4 weeks later in Murcia. The worst bit was when we were sent  to A&E at Cartagena and he was kept in. I could not find where we had parked the car. After I had walked around for about an hour (nearly in tears at this point) I went back into the hospital to ask Fred if he could remember where the car was. The staff were not going to let me in as it was not visiting time but took pity on me and let me in. needless to say I had been looking for car in entriely the wrong place!. I can laugh about it now but not funny at the time. 
They took an artery out of freds arm for his bypass and nurse at medical centre says he looks as if he has a zip up his chest. It is amazing how he has progressed in the weeks since the op. When he first came out he could not even pick up the laptop. Now I have to keep an eye on him to stop him doing too much. Family over next week so he will have to take it easy as daughter  and daughter in law will tell him off. Son fed up as he will have to wait longer for BMW now op a success lol.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 7:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Oh, I sympathise with Fred after seeing what dad went through, Jean.

Talking of cars, we went to see dad in hospital in Bristol when he went for his assessment, that part where they shove a thread up from the groin to the heart. Mum got out of our car & so did my OH as did I & OH suddenly realised just as he shut his door SH*T he'd locked the keys in the car. We told mum to go see dad & say we'd give them quiet time & we'd come later on. Dad asked "where's the kids ?" as he called us.  Mum couldn't lie to save her life so told dad who was mad though God knows why ! OH & I got AA out & they tried with a wire coat hanger, no luck. We'd just had the door & side panel replaced after a drunk ploughed into us & it took paint off him trying.  

Didn't have mobile phones then so OH found a payphone & rang his mate who lived near us & asked him to collect him. (It was friends youngsters birthday party but he came to help us) OH went home with friend & broke into house by smashing glass above lock on front door to get the spare set of car keys. (I went to see dad whilst he did this) Then friend dropped OH back in Bristol (we live Weston Super Mare, around a 40 min drive) & we all met up. Dad let rip at ME as he said I should've carried the spares with me ! As I can't drive it never crossed my mind to do so but guess what ? I DO NOWADAYS !! 

(Still can't drive).

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 7:50 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Ayrez, Glad to hear Fred is doing well now what a relief.    I can understand you  not remembering where you had left the car.     I drove to Cartagena just the once  I do not know the area at all and it was a nightmare trying to get out of it good job I had my stepson with me, we did not even have a map so it was all quess work.                                                                                    Very good idea to do a blog none of us know what is round the corner it could happen to any of us.  Take care Pat

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 8:19 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Oh More ,what a nightmare with the car. At least I found it and didn`t have to ring anyone to fetch me. I would never have lived it down. I´ve enough things I can´t live down as it is. 
I know we are over the worst now as we are back to the usual "we are so lucky to live here " scenario. I hadn´t realised I had stopped saying it until the the other day when that really glad to be alive feeling hit again. All the hard work and saving in UK has been worthwhile. Down to Mazarron for  lunch with friends tomorrow and sunshine guaranteed. A walk along the paseo afterwards. Who could ask for more (no pun intended)
I know what you mean about Cartagena Pat and Roy, it is confusing when you visit a strange place. I love Cartagena it is a really friendly place. The Spanish people love it when you appreciate their town. The Roman theatre thay have just restored is wonderful and there are other interesting things to see. If you are in the area early Sept there is the romans and Carthaginians festival. Makes a change from Moors and Christians. Not got around to seeing it yet but told iy is very atmospheric and well worth a visit.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:21 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Pleased to hear that Fred is on the mend - it all takes time, though ,doesn't it.

Those car incidents remind me  of the time some years ago,  that I had a new car - after driving an "old banger".  My father said that he was worried that I didn't have any airbags in my car (you can tell from that just how long ago it was!).  I bravely (really foolishly) said that I was such a good driver that I didn't need them!  My father then said "Well, I was going to offer to buy you a car for your birthday"!!!  I quickly saw the error of my ways, and accepted his kind offer!!  Don't ask me why, but during the first few weeks of having it I used to drive to the shops and walk home without it!  Now, if I leave the car in a large car park I get my notepad out to jot down the location.  After much retail therapy, my mind turns to sore feet not car location, so the notepad is a help!  I've also decided that my next car won't be white - instead I will have some psychedelic colour - one that could even be spotted from the air!

Another car story - yes there are a few connected to this family, was to do with my OH's car.  He had just bought it from a very shifty looking car dealer and then decided to take the whole family to watch car racing.  On the way to the track the electic windows jammed in the down position - and it was like riding along in a wind tunnel.  My OH could not find any override switch for the windows.  He parked the car in the car park, some way off the track.  As we weren't going to leave anything valuable in the car I think that he secretly hoped that someone would steal the car and take the problem off his hands!!  Unfortunately, after the event the car was still in the same place when we got back! 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:36 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Think that I'm posting again as I've got e-mail withdrawal symptoms!

Last night I tried to be clever and loaded a new program onto my computer - one of those cutie ones!  Half way though my Norton kicked in.  Then, when I tried to stop the program loading I found that it had wiped out my in-box messages!!  Disaster.  All those little bits of info that  I had been meaning to print off ......no comment!  Those handy e-mail addresses .......... no comment!!  All those jokes that my friends send me that I usually send on to others ........ gone into the ether!  Apart from that there are usually a few letters from friends.  Out-box, folders and address book OK - so I had to e-mail everyone in my address book and ask them to re-send email.  Spent over three hours this morning looking for missing in-box.  E-mailed my internet provider - last ditch attempt!  

I guess that all of this means just one thing - no excuse not to do housework!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We posted at same time, abbbb, look at pic I made you.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 3:47 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Many thanks More - any help with the old grey cells is appreciated!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying a Spanish Fine in England - 2 posts
retiring to jar de cope - 4 posts
Acquiring a mortgage. - 1 posts
Garrucha fun fair - 9 posts
Can I afford to live in Spain - Serious question - 76 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month Torrevieja or surrounding €100 a week - 0 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month rental required Torrevieja area - €100 per week - 0 posts
Savings on shopping - 14 posts
GoGo's Crazy Bones?? - 1 posts
Totally Torrevieja - 1 posts
Another building giant crisis hits Costa Blanca - 7 posts
All MAR MENOR (Costa Calida) general info. - 0 posts
Bus Service - 11 posts
Moneycorp & QuesadaLife forum, devious lot or WHAT !?! - 11 posts
Sad site in Torrevieja (Costa Blanca) today - 6 posts
Can you eat a hot curry in Spain? - 15 posts
Watch T4 pop concert LIVE in my town of Weston Super Mare right NOW on C4 - 2 posts
HELP....Advice on TDLT - 3 posts
Child Bank Account - How do I open one ? - 5 posts
Youtube teaches you Spanish, very helpful. - 1 posts
Christmas - 10 posts
changing mortgage to a new owner - 6 posts
Adding a page to social networking sites - 1 posts
Spanair and Ryanair give details of their cutbacks in Spain. - 0 posts
Check out flight info for all carriers at Alicante & Murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 173

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x