A HAPPY THREAD - NO DOOM, GLOOM OR CREDIT CRUNCH MENTIONED!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jul 2008 8:20 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Thanks for the update More.  Glad to see little Emma is doing well.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 10:26 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Wonderful!

We need to send a EOS teddy bear to her!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 1:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Have you ever seen a fox ? We live on the edge of beautiful countryside & on Sunday nights some people put their rubbish out for the weekly collection early on Monday. (OH sets his alarm to wake him up 7am so he puts our rubbish outside then). Every Sunday night when I go to bed around 2 am I look outside & a family of foxes, mum & dad I think & a baby fox are ripping the black plastic rubbish bags apart looking for food. They stay a long time & it's magical to watch even though I'm so tired at that time. I saw three foxes right under my window eating & two hours later I woke up & saw the adults still there. Wonderful to watch. They were totally oblivious to me watching them. What a mess they make.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 2:03 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Where we live in South London we have loads of urban foxes.  They used to live by the local station but that was cleared so they just roam around.  We suspect that one or two live in a disused shed at the bottom of our neighbours garden.  

You see them wandering the roads all the time - just like small dogs.  These are not your bushy tailed country foxes but rather sad mangy looking ones. They are very tame and I've had to shoo  away when opening our front door. Also been woken up by them mating in the back garden! And 'lost' shoes that have been left outside the back door - find them days later hidden amongst the bushes.

A couple of years ago it was really bad and I rang the local council and they said we were not allowed to do anything and they wouldn't.  BUT we think they ate the rat bait that we put out. We get some wonderful 'wildlife' in London.  And we live in a supposidly NICE area!!  

My OH saw a rat cross our patio a couple of weeks ago one Sunday at about 8:00am. Last summer one was shoveling up the crumbs under our patio table at about 7:00pm. A few days later OH caught it and it's friend in a couple of traps baited with peanut butter.  They were very fat!!

Sorry suppose this is doom (for the rats!) - apologies

This message was last edited by Sonia El on 8/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 2:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Sonia

I've just been telling my friend, Sue, who called at 11.45am to find both my hubby & I still in our terry robes  (no comments please, we were just being lazy, that's all !!!! ) that I'd had little sleep (BECAUSE I'D BEEN WATCHING 3 FOXES RAID OUR NEIGHBOURS BINS. shurruppppppp ) & she used to live in London like yourself & said much the same thing as you.

Haven't seen a rat, don't think, in the UK but I did see one by the market in Formentera Del Segura in June by Trasgu's bar/restaurant !!! Hope the Formentera members aren't following this thread. 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 3:13 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'm at the opposite side of London and foxes have been roaming the streets for many years now.

They're having a difficult time in our Borough as we've had Whellie Bins for some years now.

Our neighbours cook chicken pieces for the foxes each evening, they also installed cctv to watch them eating.  I was embarrassed to be told that the first evening they sat down to watch feeding time who should appear from behind the garage but our cat.  Apparently she would sit and feed with the foxes.  They feed them at the same time each evening and she would appear as soon as the food was put down.

In doors she would only eat her Iams (dried food) so whenever she was ill I could never disguise the medication by mixing it into moist food or putting it in chicken pieces.

Earlier this year when I first started hanging the washing out I would notice movement down the bottom of the garden, I think we have baby foxes there.  For some years they have been nesting underneath the neighbours shed.

We did have one who appears very mangy, it would follow you down the garden.  Like most people I prefer to look at wildlife from a distance, my neighbour the other side is terrified of foxes and very rarley goes into the garden.  She was also followed down the garden by the fox and now can't hang out her washing in case it happens again.

Thankfully haven't seen any rats, its was bad enough with the mice that the chicken thief used to bring in from her nightly forages

Just remembered OH is upset as the foxes are digging holes in the lawn.  My sister also finds eggs buried in her raised beds and plant pots.  Me I just find Monkey Nuts in mine that the squirrels bury.  Yup the neighbours leave those out as well.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 4:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We have badgers too & boy, do our lawns take a hammering sometimes ! We noticed there was a hollow under the 6ft high fencing in one area & blocked it off with breeze blocks but next night the badger had chucked the blocks to one side & made its exit. 

We are just alongside Weston woods & wildlife are around a lot. Some time ago a rook  must've flown over our house with a large branch & obviously dropped it on our roof breaking the corner off a tile. I noticed it only because I went into the attic during the day & realised that the rain had caused the black covering under the tiles to perish & I saw DAYLIGHT through the hole. (We often see branches on our roof). When we had a roofer look at it he said it must've happened years ago for the covering to have broken down as it did. He replaced the broken tile with one from the back of the roof & put a weathered tile he had on the back. He said he'd pop around for cash (£30) sometime but never came back !  (We'd seen him at a distant neigbours & asked him to take a look at the tile so he's likely clean forgotton).

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 7:02 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

It's amazing just how much wildlife we get in our garden, as well.  If we sit out on the patio at night we see a few hedgehog families race across the garden for dear life.  They didn't always have such an idyllic time since we used to have a large pond in the garden, which was level with the grass - and every morning, despite of netting across it we used to fish out those hedgehogs who couldn't swim.  We gave up with the pond, not just out of kindness to hedgehogs, but also because the herons stripped the pond of koi - twice - so I just had it filled in.  We now have a raised 5' circular pond - not so much work and not an animal trap.

The squirrel population has increased - and every year it is an "us-or-them race" to get to the walnut trees and apple trees before they are stripped bare.  This year our pidgeon population is getting depleted by some large hawks (they have only appeared this year) which swoop down on unsuspecting pigeons during the day.  The result of this is more feathers left over the garden - but less "messages" left on the garden furniture.

Something large has been digging up the rockery - but only seems to do it at night.  Haven't ventured out then - but might if my husband walks a few steps in front of me!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 7:03 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

It's amazing just how much wildlife we get in our garden, as well.  If we sit out on the patio at night we see a few hedgehog families race across the garden for dear life.  They didn't always have such an idyllic time since we used to have a large pond in the garden, which was level with the grass - and every morning, despite of netting across it we used to fish out those hedgehogs who couldn't swim.  We gave up with the pond, not just out of kindness to hedgehogs, but also because the herons stripped the pond of koi - twice - so I just had it filled in.  We now have a raised 5' circular pond - not so much work and not an animal trap.

The squirrel population has increased - and every year it is an "us-or-them race" to get to the walnut trees and apple trees before they are stripped bare.  This year our pidgeon population is getting depleted by some large hawks (they have only appeared this year) which swoop down on unsuspecting pigeons during the day.  The result of this is more feathers left over the garden - but less "messages" left on the garden furniture.

Something large has been digging up the rockery - but only seems to do it at night.  Haven't ventured out then - but might if my husband walks a few steps in front of me!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
05 Aug 2008 7:04 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Whoops - sorry about that - two for the price of one!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 1:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
My better half has just gone, alone, to do our shopping leaving me to "play" with EOS

He's such a great soul, must remember that next time I feel like flattening him !! 

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 5:46 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Mine always used to do go out for a couple of hours to do our shopping - I don't mind shopping for clothes, pressies etc, but anything else ....ugh!!

Unfortunately, he has found Tesco's on-line shopping now!

And what's this -  you're calling him "your better half"?????  Mine has to do with "my other half"!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 5:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I called him my better half today as he's been so good ! He's even washed up, came upstairs to get my mug from me too. Sometimes he's like this, I think it's cos he can't cook & I can, when the mood takes me anyway. Sounds about right, don't you think ?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 6:00 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Ah that accounts for it.  My hubby is 6'7" and is the "wrong" height for the sink; ironing board, hoover, washing machine, dishwasher  etc etc etc- I think that you get the picture!!  He's very handy when it comes to painting the ceiling and getting things down from high shelves though!!  Still, after 33 years of marriage he (we) must be doing something right! 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
37 years here.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:47 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I think that congrats are in order - especially these days.

If I had stayed married to hubby No1  it would have made 41.  Makes me feel old.  I decided that once I reached 60 each year I  would start taking 1 year off my official age!!  I won't be revealing when I am the same age as my daughter!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 10:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I certainly wouldn't want to try to break in a 2nd ! I was reading about Patsy Kensit who's had 3 marriages & called off her 4th. Whatever are folks doing these days ? Stamina, that's what they need.  

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 6:35 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Could it be the 7 year itch!  

I thought that marriage was going out of fashion.  

However, several friends of my younger daughter have had bashes that cost well over £20,000 - ouch!  I've told her that eloping is far more romantic!  Or if that fails, as she's a marine biologist , have also suggested an underwater wedding as something novel - bet that someone has already tried that one though!  From what I've been reading a lot of people, who actually take the "plunge", are going in for quirky weddings. There was even a pagan one near here the other week.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 10:40 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Our daughter will be marrying for the first time this Christmas at the grand old age of 35! She says that she plans to do it only once and is having a rather grand black tie affair in a posh hotel (we are only making a contribution, thank goodness) I think that at her age she knows what she wants and can afford to pay for it!

My O.H. and I will clock up 45years of marriage this December, and yes , I did get married straight from school! I'm not sure whether we had good judgement or just luck!! We are still not sure which one of us deserves the medal but it is good to know that some marriages do last.

Gloria

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 1:17 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Our wedding day was also my 45th birthday, he made the decision that we should get married but I had to do all the organisation.

Everyone thought we were going to get married abroad but as my MIL wouldn't fly we decided to go for a very low key affair.

Neither of us had been married before but as I would have had too many bridesmaids to choose from we went for a register office on a Friday thinking that would keep the costs down.  Wrong 90 people turned up to watch us tie the knot and another lot in the evening.  

Total bill 4k, it's no wonder that people spend so much.  We had various contacts who did flowers, photos, catering and wine at cost.  Everyone was fed and watered, a good time was had by all.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying a Spanish Fine in England - 2 posts
retiring to jar de cope - 4 posts
Acquiring a mortgage. - 1 posts
Garrucha fun fair - 9 posts
Can I afford to live in Spain - Serious question - 76 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month Torrevieja or surrounding €100 a week - 0 posts
EXTREMELY URGENT One month rental required Torrevieja area - €100 per week - 0 posts
Savings on shopping - 14 posts
GoGo's Crazy Bones?? - 1 posts
Totally Torrevieja - 1 posts
Another building giant crisis hits Costa Blanca - 7 posts
All MAR MENOR (Costa Calida) general info. - 0 posts
Bus Service - 11 posts
Moneycorp & QuesadaLife forum, devious lot or WHAT !?! - 11 posts
Sad site in Torrevieja (Costa Blanca) today - 6 posts
Can you eat a hot curry in Spain? - 15 posts
Watch T4 pop concert LIVE in my town of Weston Super Mare right NOW on C4 - 2 posts
HELP....Advice on TDLT - 3 posts
Child Bank Account - How do I open one ? - 5 posts
Youtube teaches you Spanish, very helpful. - 1 posts
Christmas - 10 posts
changing mortgage to a new owner - 6 posts
Adding a page to social networking sites - 1 posts
Spanair and Ryanair give details of their cutbacks in Spain. - 0 posts
Check out flight info for all carriers at Alicante & Murcia - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 173

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x