2nd home in Spain - has the dream been tarnished?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2008 4:44 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

this post must be very worrying for people in the UK.

Not in the way you think though!!

I can see everyone doing a list at the moment with "1st home in theUK" Has the dre...........(oh my god!!!!!!)

Do you think all the polish in the UK have an equivalent,Eye on Uk maybe.

I can imagine some of the treads "this house that was given to me is now worth less than it was a year ago"

and the "crime here is terrible i am moving back" posted by the "Russian mafia"

also"jobseekers advice" its great you dont have to do any,they pay for the lot"!!!!!

just a little humour to finish the week.............

sorry guys......

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 4:46 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Yes Roberto, I offered to be a guinea-pig for unstimulating threads but the food is poor and nobody cleans my cage :+)

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 4:46 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
UnsTIMULATING threads???????????????????????????????????????/

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 4:49 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
We bought almost a year ago and enjoy every moment when we are there the only problem is we are not there often enough. We have so far not had any of the problems stated in this threat except unreliable agents which we soon sorted out, and as for the value of the property now I couldn't care less what it is worth as I have no intention of selling.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 6:16 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

Personally I am happier in Spain! Many of the things you mention San Miguel are common to both if not all countries:

homes being illegal and demolished                                                             - This has happened in the UK where

planning laws have been flouted

- burgularies from new builds/holiday homes                                              - Again not a phenonomon exclusive to Spain or UK

- rip-off developers, lawyers, agents                                                               - Same the world over                            

- 'low cost airlines' not so cheap now                                                             - Same where ever you fly

- car hire companies ripping us off on petrol, excess insurance etc       - Again same every where

- unclear/unfair Bank charges                                                                          - same the world over

The points you mention San Miguel are pretty common the world over, but I am happier in Spain because I feel my family are safer and have a better quality of life. Perhaps if I read in the Spanish newspapers that they are introducing walk through metal detectors in secondary schools to try and battle the knife culture (that seems endemic with UK teens) in Spanish schools as they are in UK schools and perhaps if I start reading in Spanish papers about young teens being murdered, victims of the drug culture as I do on a daily basis in the UK press; then it will be time to take stock and possibly look for somewhere safer; but until then I am very happy in Spain.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 9:29 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 10:48 PM by joellie Star rating in n.ireland. 7 posts Send private message

I know the property market in spain is on the path for destruction, but I am still looking to buy my get away to spain.

The only difference now is this time two years ago I had planned to buy my villa in 2008 for personal reasons, but I will now watch the market and buy when the market hits rock bottom or near enough.

Spain is wonderfull, it is a complete get away from all the stresses of everyday life, the weather is great and it is so laid back.

I know I will have to get a great solicitor and maybe a gestor to keep me right.

When I buy it wont be for an investment but to enjoy hopefully for a long time

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 5:41 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Honey!!! I'm ho-ome......

Well, not really.  Back in UK after visit to Spain.

Guess what...My flat is still there.  Not been pulled down by the nasty planners, never got broken into, things went smoothly with the agents and solicitors and was shown copies of planning permission, LFO etc.

Even went to the bank and got approved for a mortgage within 20 minutes (50%) and paperwork completed in less than an hour. 

Flights were a massive £57 return each (BMIBaby.)  Car hire £184 for the fortnight with no pressure to take the extra insurance for tyres etc.  Got full/full on the fuel.

Met some lovely people in a restaurant close to where our new house is going to be (ready at the end of February so have to go again beginning of March..damn) and spoke to some very nice people who have already moved in to phase one of the project (I'm phase 2, I think).

Had a conversation in a furniture store to arrrange white goods, lighting and air conditioning to finish and they understood my Spanish.  All items paid for as a "gift" by the agents (yeah, I know, they made a fortune on commission but what the heck)

Weather was lovely (bit chilly in the evenings, got down to almost lunchtime temperatures in UK) and got a bit of a tan eating lunch on my balcony.

All in all, successful fortnight.  So had to wait over an hour at the notary but took it all in good fun and had a newspaper.  What the heck, had nothing better to do.

So far, all's right with the world. 

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 5:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Glad to hear all went so well, Bob. Trust you'll be online once in Spain, will you ?  Apparently the internet cafe by Laguna hotel facing Lemon tree road is excellent with many on hand to help you if you get a bit lost if a learner on pc, which of course you are not, we know.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 6:31 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes well done Bob,   It's a lovely feeling when all goes well, the trouble is when you are back in ENGLAND and you know it's their waiting for you to come back especially when  the weather is so nice,  never mind all good things come to them that wait so they say.   Pat  

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 6:58 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Thanks all.  Yep, the point is that I will not be moving permanent this year because everything went so well.  The mortgage is 3 years interest only and is so affordable that I can continue in work for another couple of years before selling up and going over.  Having mixed feelings about that but it is a relief I haven't got to do everything in a rush and will not have to take a reduced pension.  Got the "we can sell your house quickly but with the current market you will have to drop the price nearly 20 grand" from the UK estate agents so, hopefully, in 2 years time the market will have evened out again.  It will also give us the time to ensure the new house has the garden done, fitted out as we want it and will still be able to use it as a holiday home until then.

Certainly feel a lot happier now than  I did at New Year but it has made me more determined to move over there.

Will keep you all informed, honest......Oh....and what's this about €4 for a bottle of wine?   You lot buying it in UK and shipping it over?   Perfectly acceptable Rioja white and red from Mercadona at €1.40 a bottle.  Considering you can get a litre of Vodka for around the €5 mark, then €4 for a bottle of wine must be summat special.  Personally, I think the San Miguel at 90 cents a litre is a perfectly acceptable vintage........

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 7:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Bob, try the Conde Noble red from Lidl's @49c a bottle  They do a white & rosado as well. Don't knock these cheap ones till you try them, gang.  Just cost me £4 for a half decent corkscrew though today.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 1:42 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I know you can get the cheap stuff and theres nothing wrong with it - its me - the tanin levels are higher and give me a headache, so I stick to what suits me and Antano (I think) is excellent.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 1:52 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
I would encourage the people who are seeking that welcoming, warmth Spain to be brave and determined and, with the help of a good independent legal advisor to look , maybe out of the commercial circuits. There are many places which are a litle bit inland, cheapest, safest and real spain, with lots of people that will care for you an will love to meet you and integrate you into the spanish culture. Why do not we do a seminar on that Justin? Susan?

Regarding crimes and illegalities in the real estate market, know that the criminal know their victims and know how to defraud a british moving to Spain: they just need a couple of backgrounds to be known ( legal and social both in Spain and the UK ) to find the proper victims. I think that these abuses are slowing down and that real estate market is safer for you now than a couple of years ago.

Regarding independent advisors, Justin provides some of them and some other websites and forums  do too. Do your search. You can also ask in the embassy of your country in Spain.

Do not miss the Spanish dream, it can be real, but it is not easy... it takes time, research and reflexion.

Best wishes to you all,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 2:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Rixxy I know what you mean. Initially we & all our friends in Spain bought the 1 litre boxes of wine only 45c from Lidl's & Mercadona, amongst other outlets, I'm sure. I found the rosado & red gave me heartburn if I went overboard with it. These days we don't indulge anything like as much as we did when we thought what a novelty the price of wine can be there.

The Conde Noble is very pleasant & I've not had problems. We often buy the Tempranillo from Lidl's @ 99c a bottle too. Smooth & creamy. Amazing value.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 2:27 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
We were at a friends BBQ a few months back. They were welcoming their new timid British neighbours to the area. My friend asked the neighbours what they would like to drink, the wife said "Oooh just half a glass of red wine topped up with water please", "Not likely" said my friend, "you will have to have a full glass of red wine, HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF WATER HERE IN SPAIN???"

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 2:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

"HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF WATER HERE IN SPAIN ???"

Depends what you buy though, we buy Lidl's cheapest 5 litres around 35c.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 3:48 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
HAHAHAHA Gillespie - I can understand that one, its also what fish do in water that puts me off water! 

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 4:03 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Ah but was he having a dig at the increasing costs of our aqua bills?

To add my two pennoth, we did buy a 2nd home in Spain.  I chose it for the same reason I have bought all my previous homes, it felt right.

Barring unforseen circumstances we are here for life, we may sell this home but it would probably be because we want to buy another.  Any fall in price would be reflected by the fall in price of the next one.

We are very happy whenever we visit and are looking forward to the time that we can both spend longer periods out in our second home.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 4:27 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Rixxy - If it´s true about the price of water compared to wine, then it explains why you had a healthy red glow all over your body when I saw you last ;+)....that tannin is a bugger!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Insurance companies - 9 posts
Drive-by valuation - 7 posts
driving to spain - 16 posts
help!! - 2 posts
area of sotogrande - 9 posts
GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts
how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
burgalaries - 11 posts
meds - 11 posts
Glasses for kids - 1 posts
new to site - 5 posts
PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
ive lost my escritura - 13 posts
John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court - 11 posts
Correos, the Spanish Post Office, to cut rural delivery service - 0 posts
david and ann - 1 posts
Transfer Tax - 22 posts
the castilla, lemon tree road, guadamar - 9 posts
Anyone help with Halifax???? - 6 posts
Bank repossessions - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 42

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x