Insurance companies

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company for my apartment in spain.The company I am with at the moment is very expensive as it was the only one used by the agent we bought the apartment from. I want contents insurance BUT as it is an apartment can anyone advise if I also need building insurance as I have heard so many different  stories on the buildings issue.THANKS

GYPSY

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 9:50 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Where abouts do you live?  Anyone who lives near and who also live in apartments may be able to help.

I would have thought that buildings insurance in a flat would be a joint thing with all the other owners in the block but then again we are talking Spain.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 10:46 AM by snoozey Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi I did my insurance online yesterday with Hiscox, they have a department that deals with overseas homes. I obatined £25,000 of contents cover inc accidental damage (spanish insurance do not provide this) for about £9.50 per month. Least if i do have to make a claim it will all be dealt with in English. I also read the other day on the forum that it is more difficult when you do need to claim to get the spanish companaies to settle up.

Just google Hiscox overseas property insurance and it will provide you with a link. The form only takes 10 mins to complete.

Regarding buildings insurance we were told that it is a requirement as any damage arising from the inside of your apartment is your responsibilty. Say for instance you had a leak that went through to the apartment underneath and damaged his walls,tiling etc then you are responsible for the repairs.

Your community buildings insurance covers everything outside of your property and stops at you front door.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 10:51 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As Gypsy posted in here >> dentists asking for a dentist in/around Formentera del Segura that's our neck of the Spanish woods, Semi, so Gypsy go for one of these. We were insured last time with first company & this time with second company, as we found them a bit cheaper, but both very reasonable. Both in Torrevieja. English spoken in Saltsbay with English written policy (MOST IMPORTANT AS OFTEN IT'S NOT !!!) English people in Easycover with English written policy again.

http://www.saltsbay.com/
http://www.easycover.net/

You need to ask your President or administrator about insurance for apartment building. Karensun was explaining this recently (her OH is their communities President) & said it depended what had been arranged, but generally the insurance only covered communal areas.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 11:13 AM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 11:20 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I must admit we have never asked Halifax ES & that is our bank now but we asked Cambank when we were with them a couple of years ago & they charged quite a lot. Just compare prices with what you get, quite a simple task. BTW, in Spain your kitchen & bathroom fitments are covered by the contents & not, as in the UK, by the buildings policy. Odd, yes, but true. Ensure you have adequate cover.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/25/2008.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 2:12 PM by cooberpedy Star rating. 91 posts Send private message

cooberpedy´s avatar

Hi

can anyone help us please?

we have an apartment in spain, and of course, pay insurance as a community for all the community insurance. We also have insurance for building and contents, it came with the mortgage and is with a spanish company.  we had a break-in at christmas and a bit of damage to windows and grills was done - as well as our personal possessions such as camera, sat nav and jewllery which were taken. We claimed for possessions under our home policy in the uk ( easier, quicker and no quibbles).  The damage to the property we claimed for on the spanish insurance.  WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!  our phone bill is reeling and we are so fed up that we have now found a uk company who will do all  that the spanish  company hasn't and more. 

Our question is,  how on earth do we get the spanish policy cancelled ( they finally dumped a few hundred euro's in our account without telling us that they had decided we should be responsible for getting the damaged window and grill replaced)  we have had no  written communication with them and all the phone calls have been from us to them, no returns of calls, no emails NADA! Luckily our good friends in spain have found a glazier and locksmith and got a new window and grill made and fitted - but the amount the insurance company gave us doesn't cover it all, but as we paid cash for the jobs, we can't go to them for the extra, we just want  to get out of the agreement ( which was made for us when we took out the mortgage, and no one told us it was in existence until we asked what seguros meant on our statement!).

We have written to the bank and emailed the insurance company, no answer from them, so I called the bank last week and they said they couldn't cancel the premium which has just been debited ( it is an annual premium)  until they have sight of the policy which is to replace it  ( won't accept a faxed copy)  they also say that the bank should be named as beneficiary on the policy  - I think the girl I spoke to thougt we were talking about a life insurance.

if anyone can shed any  light  we'd be most grateful

Sorry to have rambled on, but getting information out of a spanish bank or insurance company is nigh on impossible and I know someone on EOS will have some gems of  wisdom

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 2:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi cooberpedy

In the absence of anyone else here today  can I suggest that if the bank says it can cancel the insurance if you give them sight of a new policy you could contact our insurers & ask them for advice. They are English but in Torrevieja & La Zenia & really reasonable. They rang us when I emailed them for a quote so include your phone number.

http://www.easycover.net/

Email info@easycover.net

Hope you have better luck.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 3:06 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

If you have a mortgage on the property, your lender will insist on being named as the beneficiary in the event of any claim that may write off the premises, a bit like your HP company will want first divvy if your car is written off. The lender will want to make sure that all of their requirements are met before agreeing to allow any policy you provide to be accepted, hence the reason it needs to be sent to them. It took our lender 3 days to decide that our policy was miles better than the one they offered. We were able to get the broker (Salt's Bay) to email a copy of the policy that they prepared for us, even though it was dated in the future as we hadn't completed.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Mar 2008 3:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We were with SALTSBAY too before going with an even more reasonably priced company EASYCOVER who, I'm sure, would help you with same, as I said.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Drive-by valuation - 7 posts
driving to spain - 16 posts
help!! - 2 posts
area of sotogrande - 9 posts
GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts
how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
burgalaries - 11 posts
meds - 11 posts
Glasses for kids - 1 posts
new to site - 5 posts
PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
ive lost my escritura - 13 posts
John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court - 11 posts
Correos, the Spanish Post Office, to cut rural delivery service - 0 posts
david and ann - 1 posts
Transfer Tax - 22 posts
the castilla, lemon tree road, guadamar - 9 posts
Anyone help with Halifax???? - 6 posts
Bank repossessions - 12 posts
Inside Track - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x