John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 3:32 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

what amazed me is how the lawyer stated that "John Hogan was happy" with the verdict!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant imagine the boys mother being anything like happy for the rest of her life.

Diminished responsibility my arse!!!!!!!

They should bring back the electric chair for people like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I can't believe he was cleared of murder!  That's disgusting.

This case has really disturbed me, how can anyone live with themselves and "be happy" after doing something like this??

I'm saying no more....

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:31 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

This man monster has a haunted look about him.

I don't think he will survive this world for long.

Suicides tend to run in families, shame he included innocent babies in his attempt.

He has to spend 3 years in a psychiatric unit, I don't think he will last 3 months.

He will either top himself or be assisted by inmates to his ultimate goal.

The Mother and Daughter have years to feel this pain, my thoughts are with them, he doesn't deserve any............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 6:03 PM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

With the verdict did he not say, "How can I be happy when my son is dead?"

And it seems suicides do tend to run in the family as both of his brothers have already committed suicide - something his wife was repeatedly happy to point out during arguments.

I honestly feel sorry for all of them.   

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 6:04 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

It is shocking especially as teh Greeks are very family and child orientated as well. Should have been banged up with the key throw away!

He would be better put out of his misery.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 9:24 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

I Agree,

The soft option. The luxury of the british prisons and psychiatric hospitals. Maybe he will be looked after alongside Ian Huntley and all the others that are fat lazy ********s. Beats me why they saved Huntley when he tried to commit suicide!!!!! Leave him to rot in a greek jail that wouldn't be a picnic!!!!

This made me sick to my stomach and the death sentence would be just to good for these animals....................

Boot camp, national service and capitol punishment. Simple as that!!!! This will make you cry so sorry if it upsets anyone but can you believe the mother of one of them trying to cover up for her murdering son????? Beggers belief but sadly it is true.......

BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News 24
Last Updated: Tuesday, 22 January 2008, 18:47 GMT
Boy convicted of '£5 bet' murder
Brent Martin
Mr Martin was punched, kicked, stamped on and head butted

A teenager has been convicted of the murder of a disabled man who was kicked to death by a gang "for sport".

Brent Martin, 23, who had learning difficulties, died in hospital after being found in a pool of blood on Sunderland's Town End Farm estate.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be named, and two others beat their victim in a £5 bet over who could knock him out, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

William Hughes, 21, and a youth, aged 16, had already admitted murder.

The teenagers, who trained as boxers, repeatedly punched, kicked, stamped on and head-butted their victim.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Martin died from a massive head injury and had suffered at least 18 separate blows to the head and neck.

During his trial, the court heard that the 17-year-old defendant later told witnesses: "I am not going down for a muppet."

He was vulnerable and they thought he was soft - he did not retaliate - if he had he would be here today
Brenda Martin, mother

The court heard how Mr Martin was chased for a mile and a half across two estates in Sunderland and subjected to a series of brutal assaults.

Finally he was stripped of his trousers and pants and left dying in a pool of blood next to a parked car in Baxter Road, Town End Farm, as his attackers posed for photos.

Toby Hedworth QC, prosecuting, said the gang acted like "a pack of animals" during the attacks on their vulnerable victim, who had spent nine years of his life in psychiatric hospitals."

Judge John Mitford said he had asked Northumbria Police to supply figures for the number of murders in the force area over the past 10 years.

He said: "I'm particularly interested in the growing trend where defendants are getting younger and younger."

Mr Hedworth added: "As the attack went on, its nature, ferocity and perseverance made it quite clear they were not happy until he was dead."

William Hughes
William Hughes had already admitted murder

Mr Martin's mother Brenda said her son was dead because he did not fight back.

She said: "He had such an impish smile and thought everyone was his friend.

"He spent eight years in hospital and was very short-sighted and had a lot to learn and cope with, with his disabilities.

"He was very pleased to come out of hospital and see the lads - but things had changed.

"He was a gentle giant and they thought he was a simpleton.

"He was vulnerable and they thought he was soft - he did not retaliate - if he had he would be here today."

Life sentence

The jury of eight men and four women took four hours to convict the teenager, who sat emotionless as he was found guilty.

Judge John Milford QC warned the defendant and his two co-accused, who were not in court, they faced a mandatory life sentence.

Sentencing will take place at a later date.

The mother of the 16-year-old has been charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice by washing her son's bloodstained clothes.

No date has yet been set for her trial.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 8:33 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Candyfloss - I've been watching that story very closely as it happened very near to where I lived in Sunderland.  These pack animals are one of the very reasons I left the UK.  They are EVERYWHERE in Sunderland.  There was also the story recently of the 22 year old who was stabbed to death because he asked some teenagers to be quiet late at night because they had woken up his 6 month old son.  The UK is in a sorry state.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 5:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Very true Damok

How are you doing? Haven't been on the forum lately. Still commuting??

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 8:09 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

I endorse damok666's reply regarding John Hogans reply to the reporters provocative question of  'Are you happy with the verdict?'

He is obviously very seriously mentally ill and will be tormented for the rest of his life for causing; the death of his son,injury to his daughter and dispairing grief to his wife.

Suicide can run in families as I have personal knowledge of  two brothers, one at 18yrs then four years later the other age 32yrs (after a number of attempts), hanging themselves. The son of the elder brother then made repeated attempts before succumbing at the age of 18 yrs.

Like the  inherited physical similarities to ones ancestors the brain and how it performs/reacts  cannot be immune from these inherited characteristics otherwise families with a history of depression ( caused by a chemical imbalance in tghe brain) would not exist.

It is all too easy for the rest of us to make swift judgments, especially about things of which we have little understanding i.e., the workings of the brain, and  condemn the actions of someone affected by mental illness. Would people have re-acted differently had he suffered from epilepsy and caused the childs death during the throes of an extreme epileptic episode?

John Hogan and his family have suffered the effects of his extreme mental illness. 

My heart goes out to them all.

This message was last edited by sandra on 1/24/2008.

This message was last edited by sandra on 1/24/2008.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 8:52 PM by alb Star rating. 182 posts Send private message

Very sad  obviously the man had suffured a complete mental blackout  i feel for all of the family and pray they find peace.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 1:50 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

sorry,i disagree,

The man is obviously that unstable that he is a danger to all around him,to be able to take the life of any child let alone your own this person needs to kept away from any more pure innocents.

I know its the PC way of sying "bless him he's poorly" and "there there there" but what happens when he gets out!!!!

Do  we read another story of him grabbing a child from the street and taking them with him next time,suicide is a tragedy,homicide is not excusable.

Tax payers money is wasted on these people,if i had been the mother i would have flicked the switch myself!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if that is harsh,but a child cannot be replaced and the mothers anguish will last for ever,a lot longer than the 3 years he spends in front of daytime tv!!!!!!!

Georgia 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Correos, the Spanish Post Office, to cut rural delivery service - 0 posts
david and ann - 1 posts
Transfer Tax - 22 posts
the castilla, lemon tree road, guadamar - 9 posts
Anyone help with Halifax???? - 6 posts
Bank repossessions - 12 posts
Inside Track - 8 posts
lessons in marbella - 3 posts
Set up fees on an existing business - 0 posts
Free flight with the new easyJet MasterCard (worth £40 inc.tax) - 5 posts
IS THIS FIRM FIT FOR PURPOSE? - 8 posts
Hello Hola! - 3 posts
Help with TV setup. - 6 posts
Data Protection - 2 posts
Hi - 1 posts
looking for hotels on E5 north of Madrid - 1 posts
help - 2 posts
mobile to mobile charges - 3 posts
furniture - 1 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY PLEASE - 33 posts
However do I get rid of unwanted emails ? Anyone with ideas other than what we're doing already ? - 19 posts
Some advice please - 4 posts
Any ideas on furniture - 2 posts
Monarch flights sale - 0 posts
hotels north of Madrid - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x