driving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by muriel Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I am travelling to almeria with my dog in april via the channel tunnel, could anyone advise me on the best route to drive and any hotels that are happy to take dogs.  I wish to take my time and do it in 3 days.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:10 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi Muriel

We'll be doing the same thing, mid-late April. We are going to San Juan de los Terreros. We have 2 cavalier spaniels who will have their final jabs next week and then we have to wait for blood tests etc, but if all goes ok we will be doing the same. I am waiting to see what the weather has been like as we may go the scenic route over the mountains. If there is bad snow on the mountains we will take the safe route and go down the east coast of Spain. At the moment we haven't started sourcing places to stay on the way but I expect to be making 2 or 3 overnight stays so that the dogs don't have to be in the car too long each day. Where are you travelling from and where are you going to?

Jacqui

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:26 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Muriel and J&N if you go to here and put in your start and end route it will show you the hotels on route and most if not all of them will accept dogs.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:52 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
We travelled with our two King Charles spaniels last Summer from Scotland to Murcia for two months. We had 3 stops at Etap hotels where you can have 1 dog per room, Calais, Clermont Ferrand and Barcelona via the Tunnel. This year we will try 2 stops/3 days driving somewhere around Perpignon as we have our own house now and can arrive into the night if needed. We can recommend a lovely vet for boosters to come back into the U.K. Etap are part of the Accor group and all the hotels are great.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 1/24/2008.

Daveil

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Try the Accor Group http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/home/index.shtml which includes the Ibis, Etap and Formule 1 chains, all of which are pet friendly and just about everywhere.

I have not seen it myself, but I have read that driving over the new Viaduc du Millau in the Tarn Valley is the nearest thing to flying in your car. Sounds like fun to me!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:58 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Roberto it is a wonderful bridge just don't do it when dark and foggy

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 9:58 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Yes! we went over the bridge and it was magic! There were all these bikers travelling such a long way just hoping that they would time it well and be "above the clouds" Great picnic area at it too.

This message was last edited by lifeline on 1/24/2008.

Daveil

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 10:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I saw photos of this bridge some time ago & it was so amazing & I've just found site they were from.

http://www.abelard.org/france/viaduct-de-millau.asp

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 10:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Not such a good route if your pets (or you) suffer from vertigo though! I wonder how long it takes to paint it..............?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 10:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
  • 180+ thumbnail photos of the Millau viaduct as it is being built.
    Click on thumbnails for the larger sized images.

• _______________________

Like 0      
    25 Jan 2008 9:28 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Looks fabulous - bu I can just imagine one of the dogs needing a pee break - doesn't look to be a lot of options!

Seriously, thanks for all the info. I'm looking to go for a scenic route if possible as I have never travelled through France (only done Paris, which I thought was wonderful) before and limited areas of Spain, it seems an ideal opportunity to see some of the countryside rather than the cities.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
    25 Jan 2008 9:30 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Looks fabulous - but I can just imagine one of the dogs needing a pee break - doesn't look to be a lot of options!

Seriously, thanks for all the info. I'm looking to go for a scenic route if possible as I have never travelled through France (only done Paris, which I thought was wonderful) before and limited areas of Spain, it seems an ideal opportunity to see some of the countryside rather than the cities.

Jacqui

Like 0      
    25 Jan 2008 10:36 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Muriel & J&N

My friend on EOS, "Jules1" (Julia) who lives in Cambridgeshire, UK, has driven to Dream Hills Torrevieja, recently, with her two Cavalier King Charles spaniels as I've mentioned a few times before in threads. She can advise if you send her a PM.

Like 0      
    25 Jan 2008 9:47 PM by muriel Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the info.  I think I will stay in the Etap hotels, does anyone know how far they are situated off the motorways as I am worried I will choose one  miles out of my way. 

Did you have to book the vet in France or can you just turn up , could you let me have the address and phone number. 

Jacqui , I am from poole in dorset the easy way would be on the ferry from poole, but  I think the tunnel would be better for my dog as we can stay in the car with her.  I take it you are going one way,  lucky you., 

regards

Muriel

Like 0      
    25 Jan 2008 10:09 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
    Yes, we are lucky to be going one way and settling over there. It's been almost 12 months in the planning, and I can hardly believe that we are almost at the point of setting a date to move. The biggest step was giving notice to work after over 21 years, but now we just want to be loading the car up and locking the door for the last time.

Jacqui

Like 0      
    27 Jan 2008 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Muriel, in my experience, Etap hotels are generally right on the main routes, the nearest thing to motels in Europe. In fact, their only drawback really is if you actually want to stay in a particular town, because they tend to be located on the outskirts, on commercial parks etc, and that also means dining options can be limited. Often the only places nearby are fast food chains, but at least they provide an adequate breakfast to get you on the road again in the morning.

What's this about vets in France? Coming from the UK to Spain you don't need one surely? Or are you asking about the return trip? If so, search the forum for "pets" because I think this has been covered elsewhere, or have a Google for the DEFRA website which should tell you all you need to know.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
    28 Jan 2008 2:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jacqui

The avatar I made for you of Brandy & Brinkly is brilliant. Perhaps you could alternate it with the other one of the close up I made too. You could put the pics as your signature. Why not put your blog details as your signature ?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

help!! - 2 posts
    area of sotogrande - 9 posts
    GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
    Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
    New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
    whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
    El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
    After Completion - 15 posts
    how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
    burgalaries - 11 posts
    meds - 11 posts
    Glasses for kids - 1 posts
    new to site - 5 posts
    PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
    ive lost my escritura - 13 posts
    John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court - 11 posts
    Correos, the Spanish Post Office, to cut rural delivery service - 0 posts
    david and ann - 1 posts
    Transfer Tax - 22 posts
    the castilla, lemon tree road, guadamar - 9 posts
    Anyone help with Halifax???? - 6 posts
    Bank repossessions - 12 posts
    Inside Track - 8 posts
    lessons in marbella - 3 posts
    Set up fees on an existing business - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
    Our Weekly Email Digest
    Name:
    Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x