BBQ's

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All,

Could anyone clarify the fact that we have been advised it is Spanish law that only electric or gas BBQ's are permitted in an apartment complex?

Many Thanks

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 2:41 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Candyfloss,

Long time no speak, hope you are well.

Not sure about the law, but our community will not allow any type of barbie to be used on apartment balconies.

this is due to the obvious fire hazard and one that I agree with.

On the roof gardens however, they have not been banned, nor have we been told what type not to use.

Our Presidente is very "up" on the law in Spain and would have made sure we were all legal.

Also, if you can buy charcoal in Spain then surely you can use it?!

Regards, 

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 4:07 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Hi Gina

Good question, as we are in the same community this is of interest to me, especially as I am on the ground floor. I would not dream of having a BBQ on a balcony on an upper floor because of fire risk but on a roof top or ground floor patio/garden I do not see a problem. Hope someone out there can advise.

Thanks for your comments Fibby. Obviously different communities have different views so unless there is actually a legal requirement, I guess you & I, Gina, will have to abide by community rules. Roll on next Community Meeting, I can see another lengthy discussion in prospect!!!!!

Eileen

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 4:23 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I would think logic dictates here.  Gas or electric bbqs wouldn't give off the smoke that a charcoal one would, which could obviously interfere with your neighbours' enjoyment of their own premises - eg smoke being blown onto their own terraces or into their apartments.

Wouldn't see a problem, personally, on a rooftop, but a garden patio/terrace could also create a problem for your neighbours.  Not sure about fire hazard bit, but that could also, obviously, be a deciding factor in the law/regulations.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 4:32 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Fibby

Thanks for the reply. I'm fine how are things with you?  Eileen I just sent you an e mail, spooky.

Fibs, The reason for my question as Eileen knows about the situation, is that I was proxy vote for lots on the community at the 3 hour meeting (never again!!!)

The first meeting, it was more or less agreed that bbq's, as you say ibs, were permitted on the roof apartments only as for the smoke, smells etc. However at the meeting the topic was brought up and it seems that bbq's were in fact allowed on the lower floors as long as they were gas or electric. Apparently it is the law so was just wondering if you could clarify this. I am on the roof myself but obviously as I had a lot of proxy votes I had to make sure I voted the right way. Although saying this I did think it was common sense that bbq's were not permitted on the lower floors for the above reasons but would not like to come across as "I'm alright Jack" being on the roof if you get my drift.  thought the meeting went well and the right decisions were made without going into too much depth but I guess you'll never please everyone, hence my question to clarify that what I was told at the meeting about gas and electric bbq's being legally permitted. Just one thing for the record, I don't think we will be having one anyway as it gets quite a bit breezy up there so could get a bit messy. But my washing dries in no time .

Eileen, I hope you have a lovely hol and speak to you soon. Fibs, hope you are back pole dancing again

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 5:31 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Right to install a barbecue in a Spanish property

Installation of Barbecues in Spain

I live on the third floor of a 6 storey block of flats in the city centre and I would like to know whether I am allowed to have a barbecue on my balcony or not. My balcony is small and the barbecue is also very small. So far I haven’t used it as I am afraid that the neighbours might complain and I’m also worried that someone might report me. I’d like to know my rights in case this happens (there’s hardly anyone here at the weekend as most people go to their second homes).

I think that its best not to have a barbecue on your balcony given that your neighbours could complain and report you. It would almost certainly be against municipal regulations and the regulations of the block of flats where you live. In my opinion having a barbecue on the balcony of a third floor flat infringes article 7.2 of the Shared Property Law which states that neighbours must not carry out any activities that are against the law and that could be damaging to the community, dangerous or antisocial. In addition, the government usually bans all types of fires during certain times of the year.

I’ve got a barbecue in my small garden and my neighbour above has complained about the smoke. The barbecue is 4 metres from my facade and 6 from the neighbour’s. My flat is a duplex and the part upstairs belongs to me. I’d like to know if I’m breaking any rules and if I’d lose the case if my neighbour takes me to court. My neighbour also has a barbecue on his terrace but says that its not a problem as the smoke from his barbecue rises and therefore doesn’t affect my property.

Yes having a barbecue could be against municipal regulations. It also infringes article 7.2 of the Shared Property Law (see above). Therefore your neighbour would be within his rights to report you. However, the rules for whether barbecues are allowed or not would apply equally to your neighbour.

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 5:36 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Sorry, meant to add a note before posting!  So basically, even if your community voted in favour of having bbqs, gas, electric or charcoal, wherever, someone could always use the Shared Property Law to voice their complaint!

Something that obviously has to be considered seriously by a community as a whole.

We actually got a very small one for our apartment (charcoal!) but felt awful when we used it (just the once) because of the smoke and decided to bin it!  Fortunately, it only cost 10 euros in Carrefour!!

Like 0      
08 Sep 2007 7:48 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Thanks Jan for the replies,

I must say I did feel it was logical not to have a bbq on the lower floors as smoke wafting through the upper apartments, furniture and clothes would definately cause problems, so as for the roof bbq's not being a problem, (doesn't matter if they are gas, electric or charcoal) that was again clarified as being alright as per the first meeting. However it was put forward by the administrator as well as the president that gas and electric ones are permitted in lower ones so that was voted in. As Eileen says see what the next meeting brings as we are all so new to all this as we have only all just completed this year.

Thanks again.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2007 10:41 AM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the information. I had a feeling there could be something within the property laws.

I thought about getting something like a George Foreman grill which could be used inside or out, but as we are not great BBQ users its not a huge issue for us. Our cooker, provided by the builder, is ok but with only one shelf provided I was looking for an alternative. I suspect that in a year or so I shall have a new cooker fitted. Not too keen on a microwave but may get a steamer. Yes, I know we can eat out but since we shall spend quite a bit of time out there we are trying to make  it home from home. (i.e. I do the cooking)

Eileen

Like 0      
09 Sep 2007 5:19 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

we've taken out a George foreman which has the normal ridged griller with a griddle by the side and we use this in our kitchen.  It can also be used outside as long as you have a power point nearby.  A lot quicker and easy to use than a Gas BBQ.

I've noticed that they are now doing GF's with detachable and interchangeable plates.  Do like mine though as you can grill meat or fish one side and do grilled med. vegatables the other.  Both sides have an independant heating control.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2007 7:13 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Candyfloss,

Proxy votes? They can cause soooo much trouble eh? Our community has done away with them now and each member can submit there vote by e-mail, fax or post. this is a much fairer way. I don't envy you saying "never again"!

Hope you get the BBq prob sorted, but judging by the posts especially Pitby's, I think they may be against the law within a community..........glad we haven't had one on our roof yet, John is veggie anyway, and the blinkin' sweetcorn kernels keep falling through the bars anyway..........

As for the pole dancing, I wish.........things are taking a step back wince I went back to work, have to see the quack this thursday before we fly to Spain, see what he thinks of the pain that has come back with a vengeance.......happy days.........

Nice to be back on EOS, work has been hectic, getting back in the swing of things is not easy after 4 plus months off!

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Sep 2007 10:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Eilben: "Our cooker, provided by the builder, is ok but with only one shelf provided I was looking for an alternative. I suspect that in a year or so I shall have a new cooker fitted."

Good luck finding one with more than one shelf. Surprisingly rare.

George Foremans are great, according to my sister-in-law. All the fat that drains off is just perfect for making gravy!

At the inaugral meeting of our community, someone suggested a communal brick built BBQ in the garden. Dumb idea, since those that use it would almost certainly not bother cleaning up after themselves, leading to ants, cockies, even rats etc. Plus it would encourage noisy parties in the communal areas etc. I have a gas BBQ on my terrace. We are on the top floor, but anyway, nobody has ever mentioned it, and probably aren't even aware of it's existence. But if anybody were to complain about it........they can p*ss off, 'cos I'm the president!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 4:13 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Roberto.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, just got back from Italy.

Got me worried about the cooker, but I shall cope, eating out is the answer!.

I would hate to have a communal BBQ, they end up being a health hazzard. I love your comments, do you fancy becoming our president??

Eileen

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 4:41 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Betterware sell an adjustable oven shelf for £9.99, doesn't give dimensions but it looks like it would fit in a case.

This may provide a tempory solution or maybe you'd prefer to have an excuse to eat out

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 4:45 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Is that in the Betterware catalogue?

I shall have to look out for the oven shelf next time I have it pushed through the door.

E

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 5:57 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'd forgotton to put the latest catalogue out so was able to check the details before I posted on here.

Now put it outside but I bet it's still there when I get back from Spain.

In Saturdays's paper someone received an irate letter from a Kleeneezee distributor because she had put the catalogue into her recycling box.  The writer quoted stupid facts and figures on the salaries that each distributor could earn but let themselves down over the fact that they were annoyed about the loss of a £1.50 catalogue.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2007 6:57 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,  I must admit the cooker I bought from Arco I quite like, I was dreading cooking with elec as we have gas here, but I got on quite well with it and did a lot of cooking when last over,  I bought an extra shelf, but cannot remember the name of the cooker.  We are going back on the 7thOct so will let you know.   We are not great ones for BBQ, but I do have a George Foreman grill that I never use,  so thanks for that I will try and pack that amongst everything else.     I have a picture I would like to take but will not go into our cases so not sure what to do yet.    Roberto that is defeating the object draining the fat and using as gravy.      I am still catching up on threads have just got back from Canaries.  Hope you enjoyed Italy Eileen I loved it when I went found it expensive though.      Regards everyone Pat

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 12:16 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We bought an adjustable oven shelf, to take to Spain, from a Kleeneze catalogue. It fit in our medium sized suitcase without problem.

You can see it online here http://www.kleeneze.co.uk/main-book/index.html Click on "kitchen" then look at page 20. £6 each or two for £10   Click on the "zoom in" facility of the left & then put curser on the shelf & click & it zooms in. Adjusts from 35.5cm to 62 cm, it says, & it's chrome plated.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 9/25/2007.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 9:14 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Wow the power of the internet, in less than 24 hours you've managed to find a BOGOF if you compare the two catalogue prices and a personal recommendation.

In our area the catalogues appear infrequently, they have good ideas but some are very expensive for what they are.

I did try to look at the link you posted Mor. but it took a long time to come up so I quit. 

Pat  I fly with Easyjet and I took out a large picture by putting it between sheets of polystrene that you get inside boxes.  I think they came out of the box our TV came in.  I then overwrapped this with bubble wrap.  Picture arrived ok with glass etc intact. 

Also it was before they started charging for extra suitcases, packing for each trip would be great fun working out what I could get over this time.  Jumping on and off scales, boxes with post it's on telling me weight and trying to work out what I could put with it to make it up to 20kgs.  Only down side is that I could tell each trip how much weight I was putting on, yesterday I weighed my suitcase only to find I've put on another couple of Kilo's.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2007 9:37 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Yes Semi, it did take a while to download (big file) but suddenly it popped up. Try again. Handy site. All you need to do is, once you've put the rack in the oven & guaged correct width, tighten up the two tiny screws. I also know my friend picked same thing up on the La Marina market but personally, I'd buy here if possible then you know you have them.

I know you go to Spain very shortly, Semi, think it could be Wednesday if I recall correctly so hope you have a great time. Know you're meeting Gina & also Em. Have a ball.

Pat, glad you enjoyed Canaries. Hope to see you soon.  

This message was last edited by morerosado on 9/25/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Order of Postings - 14 posts
deesam56 - 3 posts
Big Increases in Some Mortgage Rates, (EURIBOR 4,763% 7/9/2007) - 3 posts
Norman/Lynne - 9 posts
Electrical Package - 6 posts
Security grills - 10 posts
Changes - 0 posts
Benidorm - 0 posts
Luciano Pavarotti has died aged 71, - 0 posts
Three bedroomed townhouse to for long term rental with broadband - 2 posts
Rafal - 3 posts
La Cala area - 2 posts
Schools in Costa Del Sol - 5 posts
Phone info ....post in here. - 5 posts
Just joined - just starting - 29 posts
PRE PAYMENT METERS - 2 posts
Cost of rewiring - 1 posts
Phase Five - 7 posts
flights to England - 5 posts
Prop management near Los Altos - 4 posts
Shower Screen - 5 posts
A little lady " that does" - 0 posts
community fee - 11 posts
Almoradi - 49 posts
Reputable lawyers in Mallorca ? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x