Winter Fuel Allowance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2013 9:09 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

So what is it then, a winter fuel allowance or a cold weather payment? Shall we ask  mr d.c.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 11:01 PM by seatrojo Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Those expats who live in spain but have given a UK address will obviously still get the payment,so how is Cameron going

to solve that one ??

Like 0      
01 Jul 2013 11:10 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
There are two separate payments. The Winter Fuel Payment which is available to all over 60. In UK, it's an automatic payment for those on certain benefits and those getting a state pension. You only need to claim if you are not resident in UK but live in an EEA country.
The cold weather payment is paid to the same group of people in UK if the weather drops below 0C for a continuous period of over 7 days.
It is not payable to anyone outside the EEA countries.
It is not discriminatory to make it temperature related as it is discriminating against temperature and not people.
You have not paid into a "cold weather" fund as no such thing has ever existed. It was originally designed to pay the VAT payments on fuel in UK.
The Australians have it right. They say you know when a bunch of Brits have landed because you can still hear the whining when the plane's engines have been switched off.
If those whining because Mr Johny Foreigner gets it if they live in UK but an expat living on the Costas doesn't then the solution is simple. Go and live in the UK and you'll get it.
Mind you, the vast majority will be taken up by that TV license you have to pay for which you don't pay in Spain whilst watching sat TV. And your couple of hundred quid on a road fund license.
Plus my 500 euros community fees seem pretty slim as opposed to the £1485 a year council tax to have my bins emptied once a fortnight.
Let alone avoiding the icy pavements, the snow blocked roads, the icy winds and so on. Good 'ere, innit?

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 8:04 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Exactly as I see it bobaol, and I cannot believe the difficulty some people have in getting the simple facts straight in their heads - especially that a temperature payment is designed specifically to get over the problem of discrimination to those living outside of the UK but in the EU.   How is that difficult to comprehend?

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 9:28 AM by Nels Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Fifty pensioners could get a years winter fuel allowance, for the cost of ONE  years MPs salary increase, (£10.000) of course this is taxable, so there would still be sufficient money going back to the exchequer, for the UK to send on to India thus helping to pay for their space programme !!  Lets get pur priorities right !!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 12:12 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Nels

That would be a first for this shower!!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 12:15 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Bobaol  thanks for the for the explanation over the wfa and the cwp, not needed though by the way. The point I was trying to make was lost on you I can see 

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 1:48 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Bobaol-do you have to pay IBI on top of community fees? if so, then interpreters, accountants fees, cost of visits to UK will wipe out any gain.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 2:28 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

The point of your question is lost on me too haydngj?     

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 4:13 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Sorry folks but they have taken away, or are hoping to, an allowance for winter fuel which we have all paid for and are entitled to in the winter. we never asked for the allowance, but were told we were entitled to it, It never mentions any temperature. The cold weather payment is paid when it freezes. We don't have the frost on the costa but we use winter fuel, that is my point, sorry if you cannot understand that, but who am I????

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 4:28 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

So, the only way to avoid charges of discrimination is to relate it to temperature...........................

The same temperatures will apply to everyone and the allowance gets a new name.   

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 4:37 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Interestingly enough, when first introduced there was no mention of temperatures. Winter fuel is fuel for winter. Are they going to abolish Winter for mainland Europe?

The only reason we get it here is because a citizen of the EU cannot be discriminated against simply due to his/her residence within the EU. This payment is NOT, assuredly, available to those resident outside the EU unless of course they are in, say, Singapore for the winter but retain the WFA on their UK home. I cannot imagine how they are to deal with the vargaries of multi based living! Yet more costs which will surely exceed the savings.

The Brussels response to this may prove interesting in due course!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 4:46 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

When the EU first said that the same allowances were to be paid to all over 60s the writing was on the wall for everyone - surely you can see this?    Brussels will not have any interest in a temperature related allowance which no longer discriminates against those living elsewhere.   In fact, I think this will be a step in the phasing out for all of this really suspect allowance.   

You can't have it both ways.  People on here, and elsewhere, complain about the too generous benefits  from the UK welfare system.  As far as the EU is concerned, you only have to treat everyone the same.  This means, in order to tighten up on benefits for all, you have to tighten up on benefits for everyone.  I cannot understand what is so difficult.   Winter fuel allowance WAS for winter fuel - and in future it wont be.  It is not like nothing ever changed before!!!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:00 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

My point about those with multi homes in differing continents is still valid.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:23 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

But we are only talking about the EU.   If someone chooses to winter elsewhere but is still resident in the UK - and over 60 - then they will get the temperature allowance.   Anything else would be impossible to impose.  There is no recognition of multi base living as you describe as far as I am aware.   

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:24 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

marcbernard

Like your points who is going to tell the EU ?

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:28 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Brickwork

They will not need to be told. They are fully aware, I would have thought, of any devious plot to surcumvent their rulings.

Roly2

So fairness disappears further over the horizon!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:28 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Tell the EU what???   ............... That the Uk intends to no longer discriminate?????

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 5:30 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Roly2

NO, tell them IT IS discriminating

Like 0      
02 Jul 2013 6:11 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Back to the start then - just ignore everyone - HOW is it discriminatory?????????????????????????????????????????

It will treat all UK over 60s in the same way.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts
Mosquito Traps? - 6 posts
SIM Cards - 2 posts
What happens in Notary Office when selling - 28 posts
A clean room project - 0 posts
Maintenance charges on bank accounts used for paying mortgage payments ! - 0 posts
Becoming non resident in spain for tax purposes - 7 posts
Moving to Spain March 2014 - 2 posts
Spanish Banks - Who can we complain to - 6 posts
Sewing Machines - 5 posts
Old for new - 6 posts
moving to spain park life - 3 posts
Amazon... - 5 posts
Any feed back please "Firefly Rent a car" Murcia San Javier - 12 posts
Finca Parcs Testimonial - 7 posts
Car rental Spain to UK and back - 6 posts
Meditation - 0 posts
Spanish Royal family news - 13 posts
Spain's Untouchables - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 270

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x