Winter Fuel Allowance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2013 5:05 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Some on here are saying they agree that folk who dont live here should not get the winter fuel payment, this has also happened to some who live here,  in a roundabout way.

The payment used to be up to 80 years old you got £250.00, over 80 you got £400.00, but then the crooks cut it back to £200.00 for under 80, and a whopping £100.00 of for over 80 years old.....older folk feel the cold more....but get much less.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 5:22 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Most helpful Pat, as you say the government one is more powerful.  I spend a great deal of my time fighting the injustices brought about by government.  They have tightened up controls on child welfare  to foreign people chosing to live in the UK.  No system is perfect and my own countrymen took advantage of this for years by coming to the UK allegedly signing on under different names and claiming umemployment.  We do need stricter controls that's a certainty.  And one way of implementing change is to do something about what is going on and not sit on our bums complaining, get out there and do something.  I knock on doors campaigning in my area, but I won't risk my neck and say which party lol.  I am always emailing my MP with complaints about this and that.  If everyone unites we have a chance, but zero if we don't.  This applies to all people all over the world right now. 

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 5:24 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Off topic a little but what percentage of the nhs, police and mps budget  is paid out in pensions.

back to the topic the wealthy  pensioner with two homes ,one in the u.k. and one in Spain will no doubt not feel guilty when receiving their wfp, and the likes of me  will have to do with having 2 pounds per week less,that's nearly one large lager per week.

This message was last edited by haydngj on 29/06/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 6:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

An earlier poster said as a police officer he is paying 11% towards his pension. 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 6:32 PM by Patdean Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

If the police pay 11% towards their pension that is quite high, but how much does the Government as their employer contribute, I hope it's not the same amount.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 6:45 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I don't know  - but it will be more - possibly considerably more.   About 17%?    11% is a high contribution.  Most NHS workers, teachers etc pay 7 or 8% though it is going up.    It used to be about 6% (with civil servants being a bit lower).    

Nothing wrong with the employer contribution, but the employee contribution needs to match the final pay out more closely - that means an increase. 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 6:56 PM by Johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

Scottish teacher pay between 8 and 11% depending on salary. (it's called superannuation) The employers contribution is 13.9%

This fund has always been in surplus and is a "pay as you go" scheme. That is present day contributions support retirees and teachers will depend on future employees to fund their retirement pension

as for the fuel allowance.......is freezing to death from hyperthermia any more acceptable than dying from heat stroke in a Spanish summer ?

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 6:57 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

At one stage I worked for a non-departmental public body, and I worked on a project where I had to calculate the value of work we did on an EU funded project. The staff who worked for the organisation, which actually had a funded pension scheme, contributed about 6.5%, but year on year the average employer contribution was around 20%. This was about the norm for a privately funded pension scene at the time, and having also worked in the private sector, this was around the amount we budgeted for pension contributions, in working out costs.

This is quite an interesting explanation of civil service pensions, which explains that before 2007 they were generally unfunded, but that salaries were effectively reduced to take this into account ( in comparison to the private sector) and as pensions are based on final salaries, this means that pensioners are still effectively contributing.

http://www.civilservant.org.uk/pensions.shtml

This message was last edited by Kathyslad on 29/06/2013.
This message was last edited by Kathyslad on 29/06/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 7:00 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Inciting- Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_ian on 03/07/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 7:25 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Even employee contributions of 11% for a guaranteed inflation proofed pension is a bargain. To put it in context for a £10,000pa private pension increasing by 3% a   year  a pension pot of at least £400,000 is needed , private pensions have no cushion from the taxpayer to protect them and are vulnerable to the financial markets. It makes it very difficult to plan when you have no idea how much your pension fund will be worth on maturity or how much annual pension it will then buy. Not everyone can work for the state and enjoy these benefits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2297871/Cost-gold-plated-pensions-public-sector-workers-jump-60-years.html

The basic state retirement which is being increased from April 2016 should apply to all pensioners and not just those retiring from April 2016 and it should be higher than they plan it to be and no need for WFA payments.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 7:36 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

We are now way off topic, but most of the pensioners of today worked from the age of 15 that's 50 years working. The generations  after left school at 16 then the later ones went on until they were well into their teens. So it makes sense the retirement age has to be later, leaving collage at 21 they should be working until they reach 71 lol

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 7:55 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Off topic,

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 7:56 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Seeing as we have gone off topic.  Yes the government has outlined proposals for a major overhaul of the system, with the aim of simplifying the system by getting rid of all the means-tested sections entirely, for all those retiring from April 2016.

The proposed plan is to give a universal payment - of £144 a week at today's prices - for all those who reach their state pension age and have 35 years of National Insurance contributions.  Of course this all depends on the level of inflation between now and then as how pensioners will fare.

Those who sreceived a state pension before April 2016 will not be affected, I believe.

This message was last edited by Foxilady on 29/06/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:09 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

But from 2016 the new pension is still  contribution based so anyone with less than 35 years contributions will receive a lower amount and will need some sort of top up so I can't see means testing being phased out entirely despite what they say.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Even employee contributions of 11% for a guaranteed inflation proofed pension is a bargain.

I retired 25 years ago. A person retiring from the police with the rank I had,   gets considerably more than I do now. So it for sure is not inflation proof in any sense that I can appreciate. .

I am just pointing out the facts,  I am not complaining. I know that if I do not live too long,  I will have nothing to be concerned about.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:36 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Good point Poppy but as I understood the situation at meeting last year there will be a flat rate pension for everyone from April 2016, and if you are short contributions ie born before April 6, 1950 = 39 years or born after April 6 1960 = 30 years contrbutions, then you will have to make up the shorfallt, otherwise you will be receive less per pension payments per month.  The pension age is also rising to take into account the amount of years one requires to receive the full state pension, therefore this may adequately deal with any shortfall.  It is confusing as they are stopping pension credits, so who knows what is really going to happen.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:36 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

haydngj

Agree, well off WFA !

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:37 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Public service pensions increase each year in line with RPI which I believe is being changed to CPI (may already have been changed) but still a regular increase based on inflation. Presumably officers retiring today have a higher final salary than they did 25 years ago which is what their pension is based on.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:44 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Why don't we all tell him that it is against EU law to discriminate against pensioners anywhere, if available to UK citizens in UK, then should be to all irrespective of where they now live

email camerond@parliament.uk

or https://email.number10.gov.uk/

I will

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 8:50 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Do you lose the right for winter allowance if you become a resident of Spain?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts
Mosquito Traps? - 6 posts
SIM Cards - 2 posts
What happens in Notary Office when selling - 28 posts
A clean room project - 0 posts
Maintenance charges on bank accounts used for paying mortgage payments ! - 0 posts
Becoming non resident in spain for tax purposes - 7 posts
Moving to Spain March 2014 - 2 posts
Spanish Banks - Who can we complain to - 6 posts
Sewing Machines - 5 posts
Old for new - 6 posts
moving to spain park life - 3 posts
Amazon... - 5 posts
Any feed back please "Firefly Rent a car" Murcia San Javier - 12 posts
Finca Parcs Testimonial - 7 posts
Car rental Spain to UK and back - 6 posts
Meditation - 0 posts
Spanish Royal family news - 13 posts
Spain's Untouchables - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 270

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x