Winter Fuel Allowance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2013 8:57 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Daer sox, where have you been!!

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 9:09 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

A short stay in hospital, so I had not read all thread just flicking through and catching up after not having access to Internet for last fortnight :(

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 9:19 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Dear sox - get well soon!!

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 9:29 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

There is a fantastic clip on UTube that sums up what most posters think.
The language is colourful but it is very funny.

UTube an Irishman abroad tells it like it is.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 9:44 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

Floella - brilliant and right on the nail!! 

This message was last edited by brickwork on 29/06/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2013 9:54 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Floella I luv it.  I have often referred to them as wanky bankers myself lol. I laughed at his parting 2 words tooo funny.   We were lucky we managed to sell up in Ireland in  2005 and just got out in time before it all went bust and the tiger expired.  Try youtube for this one Who The Hell you think you are, Nigel Farage throws egg in Euro, this was in 2010 as well.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 12:14 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

A copy of an email I have just sent to David Cameron. don't suppose he will ever read it but made me feel better!! 

I BELIEVE IT IS ILLEGAL TO DISCRIMINATE PENSIONERS WITHIN THE EU. AS SUCH I SUGGEST THAT YOU REVIEW THE STUPID DECISION TO WITHDRAW ENTITLEMENT TO PENSIONERS WHO HAVE BEEN RECEIVING IT WHILST LIVING IN "WARMER CLIMATES" WHEN STILL PAYING IT TO RESIDENTS OF THE UK ONLY, WHO MAY WELL SPEND THEIR WINTERS IN A WARMER CLIMATE. WE HAVE PAID OUR TAXES UP UNTIL RETIREMENT AND CANNOT BE REFUSED WHAT IS A RIGHT TO ALL UK PENSIONERS EVEN IF THEY CHOSE NOT TO LIVE IN UK ANY MORE. THINK HOW MUCH YOU ARE ALREADY SAVING BY US NOT GETTING BUS PASSES FREE PRESCRIPTIONS AND OTHER BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO US IF WE WERE THERE. WE HAVE PAID IN ALL OUR WORKING LIVES AND DEMAND YOU STOP THE FOOLISH PROPOSAL BEFORE SOMEONE TAKES YOU TO THE EUROPEAN COURTS OF JUSTICE. WE WILL NOT BE DOWNTRODDEN WHILST PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER CONTRIBUTED CAN GET WHATEVER THEY WANT THE MINUTE THEY SET FOOT IN THE UK!

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 1:09 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Brickwork.

Better to send a letter, you will then get a reply from no 10, might not answer your questions though.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 4:04 PM by lifeinvejer Star rating in Costa de la Luz. 16 posts Send private message

Brickwork I think you are not looking at the basis of being resident in the UK for tax purposes. In Spain of you spend over 183 days in a Calendar year your are a tax resident. The UK treats you for tax purposes on tests to determine where you pay tax also. A casual visitor claiming WFA is therefore not the same as someone resident in Spain. People gain in Spain over the uk in lots of things. For instance council tax and the cost of food here for the basics are less than the uk.

We have all paid and do pay tax to the UK government but the simple fact is that the working base is not growing so everyone has to be realistic about where the bulk of the welfare budget goes, that is to the retired pensioner population. It simply is not fair or realistic to expect a smaller non retired working base to pay more to fund the ever growing pensioner population. Everyone has to contribute to balancing the books. The WFA is but a drop in the ocean of monies spent on supporting the pensioner base in the UK.

Spain is living in a fantasy world re budgets and costs no least around the huge sums Spanish pensioners get. At least the UK is taking baby steps to recognise that some tough decisions need to be taken.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 7:04 PM by nicechap Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I was under the impresion that WFA was a right if this is so how can they take it away we suffer from the cold here just the same but to a lesser degree  what a bunch of cretings they are  take from the OAP to give to thoso that have paid nothing  in

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 7:52 PM by brickwork Star rating in Calahonda Mijas Cost.... 59 posts Send private message

lifeinvejer

Irrespective of where anyone lives NOW if they have paid in all their lives then they are entitled. End of

As you say "We have ALL paid and do pay tax to the UK government but the simple fact is that the working base is not growing so  EVERYONE has to be realistic about where the bulk of the welfare budget goes, that is to the retired pensioner population. It simply is not fair or realistic to expect a smaller non retired working base to pay more to fund the ever growing pensioner population. Everyone has to contribute to balancing the books. The WFA is but a drop in the ocean of monies spent on supporting the pensioner base in the UK.

As to the council tax and food being cheaper here brilliant, why is it so dear in the UK, because the overheads are too high.

With regards to the subject WFA all of us should get it or none of us, no selection unless means tested.

Not against tough decisions as long as EVERYONE takes the pain, not just a few.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 8:50 PM by Keith28 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

...and why do we have an 'ever growing pensioner population'? Because the government stopped us smoking!! If they'd left us alone, we'd have probably all died off by now, so they wouldn't even have had to keep paying our pensions, let alone WFA!!

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 9:02 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

What I would say is this.  Successive governments have been well aware of the baby boomers of today for the last 25 years, it's simple math.  Gordon Brown in his wisdom in the 80's persuaded many to switch their pensions into the private sector, a ploy at the time as government were well aware of the monies running out for pensions.  What he failed to inform people of was, once you switch into a private pension scheme that's it your b******ed as you cannot re-enter into the NHS system.  It has always been the case hstorically that the younger working group and tax paying population look after the elderly.  I did it in my day, as I guess many of you did also.  Only this ime around our short sighted/negligent/delinquent politicians failed to act on a situationt that has brought us to where we are now.  Hence they are clawing back wherever they can, and I do not believe it's fair either.  The fat cats get fatter while we all diet, simple as that.  Shame on them.  Nothing changes it just gets worse.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 9:17 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Right on Keith, that's what hubby says hahahahaha

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 9:23 PM by Johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

there is the budget

I don't know what the welfare budget means

most of the budget goes on NHS and Education

The working population is being increased by immigration into the uk

This message was last edited by Johnmcmahon on 30/06/2013.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 9:36 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

This is much the same problem as what was mentioned on the news the other day, we here now dont have enough midwives to deal with the growing baby explosion, it seems we have a shortfall of 20%...pretty much the same amount as immigration...stop paying out for them.....no need to cut the WFP.

But we all know that wont ever happen.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 9:54 PM by ajw Star rating in Aberdeen. 1088 posts Send private message

ajw´s avatar
Would expats in Spain die of cold if they didn't get the WFA? Probably not. Would pensioners in the uk die of cold if they didn't get the WFA. Probably yes. Surely it's more about need than entitlement?

www.alhamagolfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 10:01 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Would expats in Spain die of cold if they didn't get the WFA? Probably not. Would pensioners in the uk die of cold if they didn't get the WFA. Probably yes. Surely it's more about need than entitlement?

Yes you are correct about that,  but the fact remains that we spend billions on every other lousey cause, send money to every non-deserving country, look after everyone who comes here just to rip the system of,  while all the time cutting every penny they can from our own people.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 10:10 PM by ajw Star rating in Aberdeen. 1088 posts Send private message

ajw´s avatar
I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. Every hardworking Brit seems to think the same but we have yet to find a leader with the b***s to stand up for the majority. We are far, far too tolerant. I interview lots of people for jobs at my company. I also have to say, hand on heart, that it is mainly the Brits who don't bother their backsides turning up for the interviews or even having the decency to tell me they won't be showing up. I would never criticise a parent or individual who sees an opportunity in another country as a means to provide for themselves or their family. I doff my cap to them but handouts for sweet F A to our countrymen and immigrants alike is a disgrace.

www.alhamagolfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
30 Jun 2013 10:48 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

I wonder why ajw interviews lots of people? Is it because he can't keep his staff very long?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bad management or just a total rip off! - 7 posts
UK Non resident Ltd - a better solution? - 0 posts
A good gestoria - 4 posts
Portugals Police BINGOING Mad... - 5 posts
Moving On - 7 posts
We are in the UK and our bank doesn't respond - 9 posts
Investors Chronicle article on retiring abroad - 0 posts
Mosquito Traps? - 6 posts
SIM Cards - 2 posts
What happens in Notary Office when selling - 28 posts
A clean room project - 0 posts
Maintenance charges on bank accounts used for paying mortgage payments ! - 0 posts
Becoming non resident in spain for tax purposes - 7 posts
Moving to Spain March 2014 - 2 posts
Spanish Banks - Who can we complain to - 6 posts
Sewing Machines - 5 posts
Old for new - 6 posts
moving to spain park life - 3 posts
Amazon... - 5 posts
Any feed back please "Firefly Rent a car" Murcia San Javier - 12 posts
Finca Parcs Testimonial - 7 posts
Car rental Spain to UK and back - 6 posts
Meditation - 0 posts
Spanish Royal family news - 13 posts
Spain's Untouchables - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 270

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x