Mosquito Traps?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jun 2013 1:44 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I saw what was described as a mosquito trap. A very ordinary 1.5 litre plastic soft drinks bottle. Cut around its middle the top half with the spout had been upended and partly inserted into the bottom half.

Presumably the insects descended through the neck of the bottle, into the bottom half and became ensnared. Judging from the number of trapped mosquitoes it was effective. It didn’t indicate if some substance, attractive to mosquitoes, was in the bottom section. Anyone know?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 1:57 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

I saw that somewhere, too. I think you need to put a sugar syrup inside the bottom part but I can't recall the proportion of sugar and water.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 2:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lobin,   I   Googled it for you :-  

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf22399231.tip.html

Making a Mosquito Trap

mosquito trap

Because mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 we breathe out, I started looking for ideas that used CO2 as the bait for the mosquito trap. I did think of dry ice but it does dissipate fairly quickly.

I found a cached link on Google here. It seems to be active again now. I've rewritten the instructions some and hopefully it will work as well.

Thanks to the students for their hard work on this project. I've used some of their photos for illustration.

Supplies:

• 1 2 liter soda bottle
  • a sharp knife
  • black paper
  • tape
  • candy thermometer

Take a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut off the top right below where it starts to narrow for the top, invert and place inside the lower half.

Make a simple sugar syrup.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups cool water
  • 1 tsp. active dry yeast

Directions:

Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil.

Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.

Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 2 cups cool water, stir well.

Check the temperature of the syrup to make sure it is no hotter than 90 degrees F, if hotter, let cool to 90 degrees F, add 1 tsp. active dry yeast, no need to mix. Put syrup in the bottom part of the bottle, using the cut off neck piece, leave in place.

Be sure to seal the two parts of the bottle with the tape. The fermenting yeast will release carbon dioxide. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitoes like dark places and carbon dioxide. This mosquito trap will then start working.

TIPS: Put the trap in a dark and humid place for 2 weeks, you'll see the effect. You'll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 2:13 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

In Singapore we used a lot of mosquito coils;I have seen these in the Chinese shops here.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 2:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Singapore we used a lot of mosquito coils; I have seen these in the Chinese shops here.

They have been widely available in Spain for many years,  Mercadona, and the like, ferreterías etc.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 6:15 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Well done John for finding that one!

Looks horrible but effective!

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
24 Jun 2013 10:27 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Judging by the search I have just done about "mosquito trap bottle" it does not seem to be very effective. Lots of people seem to have tried it but noone seems to think it works. A lot of people are saying "why don't the mozzies just fly out again" and "if it's so effective why aren't Walmart selling something like it?"

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SIM Cards - 2 posts
What happens in Notary Office when selling - 28 posts
A clean room project - 0 posts
Maintenance charges on bank accounts used for paying mortgage payments ! - 0 posts
Becoming non resident in spain for tax purposes - 7 posts
Moving to Spain March 2014 - 2 posts
Spanish Banks - Who can we complain to - 6 posts
Sewing Machines - 5 posts
Old for new - 6 posts
moving to spain park life - 3 posts
Amazon... - 5 posts
Any feed back please "Firefly Rent a car" Murcia San Javier - 12 posts
Finca Parcs Testimonial - 7 posts
Car rental Spain to UK and back - 6 posts
Meditation - 0 posts
Spanish Royal family news - 13 posts
Spain's Untouchables - 4 posts
A huge thank you everyone - 0 posts
Keith Rule and Costa Luz were magnificent champions for us - 4 posts
Parcel courier - 3 posts
buying ceiling fans - 11 posts
720 return errors, whose liability ? - 16 posts
Justin's Contact Address Anyone? - 2 posts
DIY tax returns for residents - 1 posts
non Resident Tax returns completed by Solicitor - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x