Driving Licences

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Nov 2006 12:00 AM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

Does anyone know the law about using my UK driving licence, I have imported my car, do I need to change my licence or get it stamped? It has the EU logo on it.

Thank you

Raquel

Like 0      
27 Nov 2006 7:17 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi raquel.  The law was changed recently and as long as you have the photocard style UK driving licence then you don't need to change it or anything like that.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Dec 2006 7:57 PM by 1stcall Star rating in Costa Blanca. 10 posts Send private message

1stcall´s avatar
If you don't have your driving license with you. Beware. You can have the vehicle confiscated there and then and also you will be fined. Keep a copy of your license in the car, also just to remind all drivers here. YOU must have the payment slip of your insurance in the vehicle along with the current insurance. Bank statement accepted.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 7:45 AM by woodentop Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Could you be kind enough to confirm (or point to the applicable law to be able to print it) that the UK driving licence with EU logo is legal for a UK driver (now legal resident in Spain) with spanish plated car.   Our local Town Hall still INSISTS you need to either change to spanish licence or get the UK/EU one endorsed.

Many thanks

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
As far as I know, you have to register your UK licence at Trafico if you are resident in Spain and intend to continue driving with your UK licence. This is probably what your town hall is saying. Will try to check it out and confirm.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:30 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Once agian Roberto you are spot on

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 11:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I think this is the relevant section: http://www.dgt.es/tramites/canjes/unioneuropea.htm but it's not entirely clear to me (maybe I'm just tired). I'm not sure if there are official forms to fill out at Trafico, or if you have to obtain the declarations from DVLA (about not having had your licence withdrawn for any reason etc). I also do not see any mention of medical checks, but I have heard that you must have a medical every 10 years, as if you had a Spanish licence. I reckon your best bet is to go to your nearest Trafico office and see how things pan out. Or if you prefer, pay a gestor or someone to take on the hassle. Either way, it's probably best to make sure you do have everything correct. The last thing you want is problems with the traffic cops.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 8:23 AM by woodentop Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto and Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback on the situation of driving in spain for a resident with a UK photo style licence. If you get time to look at www.spainvia.com/motoringinspain.htm  there is information from Brian J Deller (the author which states that there was some kind of law issued by the European Union and advised to the British Embassy in Madrid by the Ministry of Interior on 5 Oct 2004 that there is no need for an EU resident to drive on any other licence than an EU licence.  After reaching the first site you need www.spainvia.com/drivinglicenceletteradsl,htm

I took this letter to the Town Hall who still don't want to believe it.  I took it to the Gester who says it is fully legal and if the police stop me or try to fine me they will be in contrevention of the law. He says to keep a copy of the letter in the car.  The Gester says because of the letter they are not registering EU licences at Trafico any more.  Does anyone know for sure what the devil is going on?

Many thanks Margaret

Like 0      
21 Mar 2007 7:08 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
This is Spain Margaret how on earth would anyone know for sure whats going on?

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 7:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Ditto Smiley

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 7:50 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi all,
I can only comment on the Tarragona area.
If you have a UK photo card licence, you do not need to do any-thing about it.
My husband asked in Trafico Tarragona (whilst trying to get our UK Land Rover registered, don't ask!) They told him he need do nothing.
Now I find this a little odd cos our UK driving licence has our UK address on it!! (our passports don't) We happen to still own the house in UK, but what do you do if you have moved 'lock stock and barrel'? Change it to your mother, sister, good friend?
I have found that it is accepted as ID for bank cards, Spanish and UK, and is much easier to carry than my passport.
So what do we do when, and if, we sell our UK house?

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 9:00 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi all ,  we remember that artical in our local paper ( Spain ) about 3 years ago stating that you can now drive in any eu country with your original licence from your own country if its the eu issue type, but I expect in many  parts of Spain they are still sorting out the change of laws from the past and its only 3 YEARS so give them more time as its Spain remember ? Looks a bit hot in Spain just now just keep cool these things take time is that right Roberto.     Regds to all   Rosi n

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 9:41 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Will care hire companies accept the old style UK Driving License.  Mine is the pink one, and hubby is pink and green one.   Not enough time to change them before we fly over.   I have been told that it should be ok along with photo ID - passport.   Is this right?

Cheers

Ellen

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 10:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Ellen

My husband has the old green paper UK licence. He's never needed to change it as we've not moved in over 26 years & we hire a car without any problems in Spain.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 10:22 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Thanks Morerosado,

Thats a relief !  

We are moving here in Uk on 9 August - (I am sooooooooooo stressed out with it all), then completing on Spainish property at beginning of September.   Ok - I know - MAD - but we really didnt expect to sell our UK home as quick as we did. 

Anyway, by the time we send everything to DVLA, we cannot be sure that they will get our licences back to us for when we fly over.  Which car hire do you recommend.  Cant remember who we used last time we went.

Cheers and thanks again

Ellen

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 10:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ellen

Be careful that your driving licences are correct though. I'm mentioning this as we moved from the Midlands to Somerset 1980 & my husband forgot to tell DVLA he had moved. Not long afterwards he was booked for stopping momentarily where he shouldn't. He had left the car with his three workmates still inside. He'd been ill & had gone to work far too soon & had felt ill on his way to work so he stopped outside a shop & popped in for throat sweets & paracetamols. Not only did the police, who unfortunately drove by at the wrong time, book him for parking illegally they clobbered him for not having his licence changed. There's such a police presence where we are in Spain &, although I very much doubt anything would be done if you were pulled over & your licence checked I certainly wouldn't risk it. BTW no one say my hubby SHOULD'VE been done as he knows it, I gave him wot for, believe me !

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 10:45 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Morerosado

Bit of a catch 22 isnt it.    But really cant risk sending the old ones off to DVLA incase they dont come back before we fly out.  Ummmmmmmm.    Will have to give this some thought.     I will contact them tomorrow, and see if they can send new ones urgently.

Many thanks for the warning.      Oh, poor hubby - hope you were not too hard on him - he was poorly at the time

Cheers, Ellen

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 6:51 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

You can change your old paper licence for the new photocard licence online at DVLA.Gov.Uk

It will cost £10 & you need to have your passport number. They will try to access the passport records & pick up your photo from there.

Hope that helps

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 8/6/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

06 Aug 2007 6:19 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Thanks Noreen,  I did try that first - but at the end of the application it said  - "thanks but no thanks" - send in with photo etc.  On top of that when I tried to download the form - error message.    Tried 4 times in total - Gave up.

There is a bit on it that says what is your new address - so entered info, then it asks how long you have lived there !!!!!- years and months, cos we are moving within days - I first of all put zero - got error - so put in 1 month.

So It seems that you have to have lived in your new address for a least a month before you can apply on line.

I am going to try again with hubbys licence and if that goes thru then at least one of us may have the new photo card one.

Again thanks.

Ellen

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts
hotels that allow dogs - 3 posts
Want to get online? - 13 posts
Friendly Forum - La Maina Urb & Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Choose your removal company wisely - 4 posts
Entertainment - 1 posts
Wood burning stove ,costa del sol - 6 posts
Completion Of Bosque de las Lomas 3 - 2 posts
Best mortgage deal ? - 45 posts
CONGRATULATIONS EYE ON SPAIN - 11 posts
Golf Invest - 3 posts
sierra nevada skiing - 1 posts
mabella property demolition - 2 posts
Community Pools - 10 posts
Well ! It's September - 6 posts
So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish? - 72 posts
Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x