Driving Licences

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Sep 2007 1:38 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
This maybe a little late...BUT....once you have left...you cannot renew your old UK licence unless you can prove you are living in UK. I live in Ireland and tried to get a renewed licence with a nice picture and also the stars...but was told you cannot even if you lose it get a new UK one. You have to renew in your current country. My old was due to expire in 2034...all other countries now do a 10 year or 5 year licence. In spain you also after 45 have to have a 5 yearly medical check, its apparently real funky as you get to play on a simulation reaction checker (according to my spanish friend who also lives in ireland)

So if you lose your licence in spain you have to have a spanish one. I will change mine to an irish one before I leave as it will be easier to switch accross to a spanish one, as my current UK licence (9 years old) has been through the wash and resembles the magna carta :-).

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 4:54 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Question : I have a UK paper licence (no photo) and don't live in the UK...When I move to spain...will I need to get an EU licence (picture one) before I move across (If so I'll need to get my finger out) Or can I move to spain and switch my old paper one...

Regardless of which option....how long does it take and where etc etc

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 5:45 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Get over and then switch - you are ok for the fist couple of months unless you bu a spanish car and if you get an international licence that will help.

Once you are here find a good gestor as they can do them much more quickly for you and cost around 35 euros.

You need to provide 3 photos, your original licnece and a copy of it and Im sure other documents - Im pretty sure you need to have an nie for it as well - but best to check with a gestor as I cant remember!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
26 Sep 2007 7:58 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
I'm sure you can buy a spanish car as long as you have an NIE and are on the Padron....didn't think it was esential to have a Sp DL?

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 11:40 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

You can buy a second hand car with nothing - its only new stuff you need an nie for, to legally drive it your supposed to have a spanish dl!

And you all thought we were all in one big same country called the EU!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
27 Sep 2007 11:48 AM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Actually you can drive on the current EU UK licence as long as you take it to Traffico and get it stamped, once it expires you will then have to apply for a Spanish one though. The paper only version is not legal in Spain though.

However being honest it is probably just as easy to get a new Spanish one immediately.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2007 12:36 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Rixxy, I'm sure you can buy anything second hand without an NIE - I'll flog you whatever you want, you know that! But can you register it at Trafico without an NIE? I wouldn't think so?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts
hotels that allow dogs - 3 posts
Want to get online? - 13 posts
Friendly Forum - La Maina Urb & Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Choose your removal company wisely - 4 posts
Entertainment - 1 posts
Wood burning stove ,costa del sol - 6 posts
Completion Of Bosque de las Lomas 3 - 2 posts
Best mortgage deal ? - 45 posts
CONGRATULATIONS EYE ON SPAIN - 11 posts
Golf Invest - 3 posts
sierra nevada skiing - 1 posts
mabella property demolition - 2 posts
Community Pools - 10 posts
Well ! It's September - 6 posts
So how many of you are learning to speak Spanish? - 72 posts
Undeclared land - 5 posts
Christmas Lunch - Murcia area - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x